Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Larger wheels vibrating

Stevo3009

Ok, so I'm new to this forum. I have a 2024 Corolla LE and just recently had 20" wheels installed along with 245/35r20 TOYO's. I am still getting vibrating in the seats and floorboard even after rechecking the balancing 6 times and road force testing. Anyone else had this issue? Maybe I need hub rings even though the wheels are lug centric?

corolla.jpg

Vibrating in the seats is a sign that a rear wheel are out of balance, this could be a faulty tyre or rim, try swapping the wheels front to rear and see what happens 

@Parts-King We have done this too and still no avail..... 😞 Road force testing showed nothing wrong with the tires or rims being faulty.

18 minutes ago, Stevo3009 said:

I am still getting vibrating in the seats and floorboard

You say "still" - did you have the problem before? Have you tried swapping back to the original wheels / different set of wheels?

You need to eliminate the wheels and tyres you have on (the 20 inch ones) swop back to standard and check if OK

• Like 1

Those wheels are pretty cool, but wow, could not drive in the UK with those, they would be destroyed within a week.

Have the tyres been installed the right way round? 

What speeds do you get the vibration??

• Like 2

Have you tried a different place to balance the wheels? Maybe the place that did it's machine is miscalibrated...?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, APS said:

You say "still" - did you have the problem before? Have you tried swapping back to the original wheels / different set of wheels?

@APS I didn't have a problem with the original stocks. This was after the upgrade, and I was wondering if someone else had possibly had the same issue.

34 minutes ago, Steve said:

Those wheels are pretty cool, but wow, could not drive in the UK with those, they would be destroyed within a week.

@Steve I have gone to 3 different shops to rebalance, and each time, they "said" the machine was recalibrated before they rebalanced the tires and wheels. Tires have been installed the right way around. Outside of the tires, once installed, show "left" or "right," and they have been moved from front to rear twice between different time intervals for me to see if that was the issue. Still, there is no resolution. I don't want to lose money from buying the wheels and tires and don't have another vehicle to place them on.

26 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Have you tried a different place to balance the wheels? Maybe the place that did it's machine is miscalibrated...?

@Cyker I have gone to 3 different shops to rebalance, and each time, they "said" the machine was recalibrated before they rebalanced the tires and wheels.

35 minutes ago, Steve said:

@Steve Speeds on vibration is usually been 70-80mph..... I live in US but down in South MS, our roads down here are probably just as bad..... some if not worse....

41 minutes ago, APS said:

@APS I haven't tried that one yet because I want to see if maybe someone has had the same issue. Def don't want to go too long and have the suspension messed up either. 😞 

You have vibrations because of the wheels, these are way too large and out of speciations plus they might be a manufacturer fault in one or all of them. 
And btw the best size for these cars is 205/55 16 

• Like 2

On 4/8/2024 at 11:12 AM, Parts-King said:

You need to eliminate the wheels and tyres you have on (the 20 inch ones) swop back to standard and check if OK

@TonyHSD the tire shop took the valve stem inners off the tires along with the TPMS monitors so I would have to go back and get all of that done before I could reinstall the stocks..... tried that also.... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

You have vibrations because of the wheels, these are way too large and out of speciations plus they might be a manufacturer fault in one or all of them. 
And btw the best size for these cars is 205/55 16 

@TonyHSD those were the original tire size on the car when I bought it. This new tire size is due from an upgrade. I was checking to see if anyone else had completed an upgrade and possibly had the same issue and maybe required Hub Rings to fix the issue or something else.......

• Like 1

Have you tried spinning the wheels in the air to check they're spinning evenly and aren't eccentric?

I just noticed you said it only happens at 70-80mph - If that's the case, it may just be the road surface imperfections resonating with the rim; At such low profile the tyres will basically be doing nothing to absorb the roughness of the road surface, and the shocks probably won't have been tuned to damp them out.

• Like 2

Maybe the problem is in rims spacers or offset.

70-80 is a classic balance type problem, I think that is where the problem lies, but just saying it's not that is not fixing it. You need to start eliminating the basics before chucking more money at it, what make of tyres are they? You could just put basic valves in the old wheels and run it with no sensors in and road test it

• Like 1

On 4/10/2024 at 5:43 AM, Parts-King said:

70-80 is a classic balance type problem, I think that is where the problem lies, but just saying it's not that is not fixing it. You need to start eliminating the basics before chucking more money at it, what make of tyres are they? You could just put basic valves in the old wheels and run it with no sensors in and road test it

@Parts-King Toyo Extensa HP II

Hi, have you checked that the centre bores of the new wheels are the same size as the originals, if they are larger you will  need a set set of spigots  to reduce the size down to the  OE size.

Bigger centre bores will not mount correctly  even if the wheel bolts appear to pull the wheel on centricly.

Otherwise  you could have a tyre out of round, possibly  due to one cord being broken..this my not show on a balance  machine but appears at the higher speed that you report.

Hope you get to the bottom of this.

JT

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links