Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla estate 1.8 range on a full tank.

Tom1440

I have had my corolla estate 1.8 for a couple of months now. It is currently giving me a return of around 52mpg.

With 26 predicted miles left to refuelling on the screen the total miles on the trip meter is only 363.6. Is this typical  ?

It seems very low to me.

400 seems a little on the low side but probably just inaccurate calculations by the computer. Depends on so many variables. Just fill up whenever you get to half empty, that's best and safest way.

• Like 1

Remember when the low fuel warning light illuminates there will be still approximately 100 miles range left in tank. 

Toyota reserve fuel range is set towards the side of safety / not running the vehicle out of fuel - which you don't want to do a Toyota / Lexus hybrid!

• Like 1

When my fuel warning light comes on, the trip meter is 700 km/ 430 miles.

If I refuel the very monent it turns on, I can put in 36 liters. If I drive untill 0 km. remaining it takes 38,5 liters. 

• Like 2

Around 400 per tank is typical for me with the 2.0 model (the older one with the NimH Battery pack).

Mine responds very favourably to warm weather - I've had as much as 500 out of a tank in summer. The reserve after reaching 0 miles range is quite generous, as with most Toyotas.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tom1440 said:

I have had my corolla estate 1.8 for a couple of months now. It is currently giving me a return of around 52mpg.

That sounds poor. How much heavier is the estate? I don't think my HB has ever returned a figure that low even in the depths of winter. Right now it's above 60mpg (the dash claims 64 but I reckon it's more like 61 based on prior experience).

Mine gives an estimate of ~540 miles when filled but within a couple of miles it settles down to ~480.

• Like 1

What is the capacity of the tank ?

It depends on how it's driven and the environment - I think I've mentioned before that a colleague generally gets a shockingly bad 38mpg out of his Auris hybrid simply because he mostly does very short distances and the first thing he has to do upon leaving his house is drive up a massive hill, so the car has no chance to leverage its fuel saving trucks. Also he drives like me :whistling1: :laugh:  - He is definitely someone who a turbo-diesel worked better for as that hill let it get up to operating temp very quickly, which is the main problem with diesels.

If the OP is also only doing shortish distances in hilly areas, the mpg will suffer as that will be the previous gen HSD if it's the 1.8, not the new 1.8.

Also make sure the handbrake isn't stuck on or something :laugh: 

• Like 1

Tank capacity is about 42ltr . On preview generations Auris hybrid range varies for me from around 417-530 miles according to seasons and driving styles. 

• Like 2

For mainly high speed 70mph motorway driving, yes that's about right.

My 1.8 hatchback shows around 420 miles range on a full tank as my miles are mainly motorway.

One good thing about the small tank is how cheap it is to fill up when 1/4 full compared to other cars I've owned.

• Like 1

Agree with that, when I bought mine the fuel gauge was between a quarter and half full, filled up and it cost £38. In my previous Passat from the gauge in roughly the same place it would have been north of fifty.

Thanks for all your comments.

The tank capacity is 43 litres,9.5 imp gallons. At 52 mpg the should be a range of 494 miles ( I got 363.6 miles ) less a reserve what ever it may be. Very strange !

I generally drive to get the best mpg that I can . A lot of my journeys are short and will reduce efficiency, but I still expected more mileage between refills.

4 hours ago, AndrueC said:

That sounds poor. How much heavier is the estate? I don't think my HB has ever returned a figure that low even in the depths of winter. Right now it's above 60mpg (the dash claims 64 but I reckon it's more like 61 based on prior experience).

Mine gives an estimate of ~540 miles when filled but within a couple of miles it settles down to ~480.

The real world figures that I have seen suggest that there is very little mpg difference between the hb and estate models. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ThomasL said:

400 seems a little on the low side but probably just inaccurate calculations by the computer. Depends on so many variables. Just fill up whenever you get to half empty, that's best and safest way.

The figures that I have quoted are calculated by miles travelled against the amount of fuel to refill. The calculated figure 50.82 mpg is within 1.5 mpg of the computer figure 52.4 mpg.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, forkingabout said:

Remember when the low fuel warning light illuminates there will be still approximately 100 miles range left in tank. 

Toyota reserve fuel range is set towards the side of safety / not running the vehicle out of fuel - which you don't want to do a Toyota / Lexus hybrid!

Just now, Tom1440 said:

That's good to know.

So 363.6 miles divided by 50.82 mpg means you used 7.15 gallons out of 9.46 gallons. So you have 2.3 gallons remaining, and continuing at 50.82 mpg would give you 117 more miles meaning a total of 480 miles from a tank.

But you should be getting more than 50.82 mpg, maybe worth checking tyre pressures aren't low. Unless you spent a lot of that time at 70mph, or short journeys with a cold engine?

• Like 1

I suggest that you have a look at Honest John's Real World mpg figures. For the 1.8 Corolla Hybrid the official WLTP figure is 57.6 - 62.8 mpg. (www.evanshalshaw.com/blog/what-is-wltp/). The real world figure, based on owners' own submissions is 61.5 mpg or 102% of the WLTP figure. The 2 litre Corolla hybrid WLTP figure is 53.2 - 57.6mpg and the owner's real world figure is 51 mpg or 92% of the declared value.

• Like 1

My 2L TS currently has an overall average of 51.8. It has only done around 400 miles and about 300 of those were motorway / dual carriageway. According to the app short local journeys in traffic are now returning 68-75 mpg

My 2.0 ts normally shows about 520 on range and the most I've pushed it to is 530....or winter about 480.

7 hours ago, Red_Corolla said:

Around 400 per tank is typical for me with the 2.0 model (the older one with the NimH battery pack).

Mine responds very favourably to warm weather - I've had as much as 500 out of a tank in summer. The reserve after reaching 0 miles range is quite generous, as with most Toyotas.

I thought all 2.0 had lithium packs.... Ive not really investigated it just assumed. 

39 minutes ago, taxidriver50005 said:

My 2.0 ts normally shows about 520 on range and the most I've pushed it to is 530....or winter about 480.

What sort of driving do you do for that? In the just over 2 years I've had mine I've only recorded a max of 430.

Mainly round t own.. Semi rural type driving.... 200 miles a day so only 1 cold start which makes a big difference. 

• Like 1

Another thing...

When is the tank filled up? 1. click or full to the very brim? It's a 2 liter difference.

Some pumps are extremly sensitive, and cuts off from the very start, only allowing fuel to go in very slow.  

My old 2004 Corolla was a true pain to fill, and allmost impossible to fill properly. 

Local pumps can vary in the amount measured. I mostly fill up with 0 mile left and my local Shell pumps is 38,5 liters. Other pumps can be as high as 40 liters with the same 0 mile left indication.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links