Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ra28 Celica Rebuild

RA28

does anyone know what is the best motor to put in an RA28 that will bolt straight up. it has the origional 18R in at the moment.

is an SR20 conversion possible

Well with enough money almost anything is possible. You would need to uprate the engine internals and find a way to lower the compression ratio, then you would need to get an exhaust manifold fabricated that would take the turbo. You would need to fabricate suitable mountings and plumbing for the intercooler, and most importantly you would need to source and program some form of stand alone engine management chip as the existing ECU couldn't cope with the parameters involved in running the turbo.

If you are looking for reasonable power figures without spending a fortune why not think about the non turbo 3S-GE engine. The revision 3 and over MR2's had about 173bhp from the factory, add an induction kit and decent exhaust and if possible get rid of the catalytic converter and you should be approaching 185 bhp. After that you would need to start spending quite heavily, add some performance cams, then you could get it chipped which should get you in the region of 200bhp. The engine should be fairly easy to come by as it was used in both the MR2 and the Celica. Its the same basic engine as the turbo but without the uprated internals or (obviously) the turbo.

how hard is it to fit the 3S-GE, i was thinking of the 18R-GEU because it was an easy swap, and i would like a turbo, but 200 horsies would be good out of anything that will fit easily if i can get it

A 3S-GE or GTE would prob be too much of a job to be honest.

A mate of mine is in the TEC (toyota enthusiasts club) and a friend of his bought a rev 1 3S-GTE to drop in a gen 1 but never did it, as it would have been a ball ache to swap from a transverse mounted to a longitudinal mounted engine.

I don't know what the exact details are, but i would presume a custom bellhousing would be needed, as would custom engine mounts and stuff ancillaries could foul the bulkhead?

I believe a (is it s 5M-GE?) 2.8 celica supra engine would fit, if you fit the radiator in front of the place where it should be, the 18R-G definitely would go in.

Think what i've written is correct, feel free to put me right- and hope the info helps ;)

No idea TBH mate- didnt even know that engine existed :blink:

I'm only just learning about earlier celicas- but i dont remember any celica being injected till the 4th gen, so i have no idea matey :(

If it were me i would go for a 18RG as the earliest ones were the strongest with the best compression.

With cams, carbs and exhaust you can get 200BHP and the only change for Gen 1 is crossmember the rest is the same.

I had a TA23GT with 18RG motor in it and it was ok pplenty of revs and enough go standard.

Either that or 4AGE out of the later Corolla GT (RWD) and Mk1 MR2. These will go straight in with a bit of electrical nouse as you need to get programmable brain for it. Junk the EFI and put twin webbers in for 160 - 180 BHP

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links