Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Cts Test

Toyosupra[pt]

Toyota Corolla T Sport

Well, at least it looks better than it did...

car_portal_pic_15972.jpg

car_portal_pic_15973.jpg

The original Corolla T-Sport couldn't have looked much less like a hot hatch; it was mid-level-diesel plain. But Toyota has now given the entire Corolla range a mild facelift - new headlights, bonnet and bumpers - with the T-Sport further benefiting from a full bodykit and lowered suspension to rid it of its previous off-roader stance. And it's now available only as a three-door.

Inside, the racy theme continues, with white dials, well-bolstered red-trimmed seats and smart alloy pedal covers. Your £16,000 buys you a lot of standard equipment, too.

But the T-Sport's suspension is the interesting part. It's been lowered by 20mm, its springs and dampers are stiffer and the anti-roll bars have been redesigned. Impressively, it also sports a serious-looking strut brace that Toyota calls a 'performance damper'. This stiffens the suspension mounts while also allowing a little 'give' to ensure the worst bumps aren't transmitted through the bodyshell.

The rear dampers employ rebound springs, which keep the body under tight control and increase stability. It's all very thorough - even the steering's quicker, 3.2 turns lock-to-lock instead of 3.5 - as if to make up for the half-hearted first-time attempt.

The engine is untouched. So it's still 189bhp at 7800rpm, the highest specific output among non-turbos in this class. Shame it's no less loud and thrashy. It's gutless below 5000rpm but lacks the Civic Type-R's enjoyable high-rev blare at the top end. The heads' racy cams don't cut in until 6200rpm so having to stir the Corolla around to crazy revs is a necessary chore, and one not compatible with most people's driving style. A notchy gearchange doesn't help matters much. And for all the engine's hysterics, 0-60mph in 8.4sec isn't particularly special, though 140mph is good for a spot of bar-room bragging.

The uprated chassis is sharper than before but still distinctly ordinary; the ride's firmer, restlessly so, and there's less roll through corners. Yet it's not totally focused, there's still a layer of stodge to work through, and the electric PAS remains lifeless and lacking in response. The T-Sport is improved, but by nowhere near enough. Honda dealers have nothing to worry about.

Words/Pictures: Richard Aucock

in http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/driven/driven...=20040729140940

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nick-Johnson

• SKG

• exon16m

• Yarisboy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:eek: its a real shame machines like this don't come to north america....oh well, i'll have to do with the XRS! lol :thumbsup:

The RSi Hot Hatch flavour will only be available in late January 2005; Toyota SA is waiting for an upgraded motor from Head Office with revised engine mapping and changes to the inlet and exhaust plumbing that will flatten the torque curve to make it more drivable.

Then it'll offer 141Kw at a stratospheric 7800 and a stomping 180Nm at 6800rpm.

(Source: http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?fArtic...751&fSetId=381)

What the hell??? Anyone know what's going to happen to the engine??? And will it concern the UK-built cars??? The 2zz-ge is made, i think, in japan and if they are modifying it, it should get to europe aswell!!!

I think to some extent that review doesn't really recognise the market the T-Sport is aimed at, yes the Civic will run rings around it and if your after a hot hatch then you would get the civic everytime, Toyota could have really revamped this car taking out the Climate control lowering it further uping the horsepower etc, but to a degree I think they have a little niche market going and thats to people like me who want an everyday car that returns pretty good fuel consumption and is capable of a few thrills, I've already had my missus screaming in the passanger seat, I also think the handlings pretty good maybe not as good as the Civic but I've had my new TS one week and already got to grips with slidding it around my local roundabouts, my only critisism would be the Michelin tyres.

I think toyota have it spot on but its only my opinion...

But even so most people agree that mid-range torque could well be higher!!! And that?s exactly what the article says the toyota motor head ofiice plans to do with Runx RSi!!!

When I was looking at buying a car I looked at the Civic Type R cause I've always wanted one, when I had a go I really liked it but wanted a few of the creature comforts (I know i'm a tart) and it began to cost more than I could afford so I looked at the Type S which had more of the creature comforts but not the performance, the T Sport sits right in between and if the testers thought about it a little more the T Sport is more the Type S catergory than the Type R and against the Type S for me it wins Hands Down.

I do appreciate the comments however about increased midrange but I guess you can't have it all, and I wish they ran a 2 litre rather than a 1.8 but I guess its a compromise between insurance/fuel/performance...

i own the identical car of the one in the picture and its brilliant. i challange any type r driver. (not in a straight line ) and i bet i whoop is *****.

lets face it yes, the type r on paper is the faster car , and in a straght line . but add afew 90 lefts and open hairpins and who can do top end.

ive been competing for 3 years know and have lernt a hell of alot about what you can do in a car, ive competed against cossies evos , 6r4s (mind you never been placed higher than a 6r4 but cossies and evos yes and thats in a FWD celica GTI ) its all about whos ***** is in the seat.

i hate the boy racer attitude " thats got more bhp, thats got more top end thats the best it faster " b***** :ffs:

sorry getting in to it there :thumbsup:

home page / gallary / uk owners / page 7

have a look :eek:

Yeah i know the CTS could be quicker, any car if you think about it could, i bet a CTR driver is always looking for some more power, lets face it one you become used to the power you kind of convince yourself your car is not as fast as you thought.

Guess it depends on how you drive the car more than anything, i met a CTR on the motorway and sure enough, they always plant the foot down and try to get away, never seen one do this so far it hink the CTS is very under rated, the power is there and i am sure it p****ess off those CTR drivers who paid more bucks.

I Keep saying it but my main criticisim is the car is too soft and a can be a handfull round corners, plenty of cars much more expensive and better rated that the CTS can wipe the floor with, humped a Golf GTI in my CTS soon after i got it think the guy was well Shell shocked.

Love my CTS, good allrounder :arrgg-matey:

Sorry to say this fella, but by throwing in a few corners and hairpins in you will only be handing the Civic an advantage it a far more superior handling car then the Corolla!

It would hang it out to dry on a track day!

Nick

there you go again. give the CAR the advantage . WHAT IAM SAYING IS" YES IT MIGHT BE SLOWER BUT IF THE DRIVER CAN'T DO IT THEN THE CAR CAN'T" THATS JUST A FACT OF LIFE MY FRIEND

there you go again. give the CAR the advantage . WHAT IAM SAYING IS" YES IT MIGHT BE SLOWER BUT IF THE DRIVER CAN'T DO IT THEN THE CAR CAN'T" THATS JUST A FACT OF LIFE MY FRIEND

:lol:

Too Damn True

Dont mean just cause you own a CTR you are Michael Schumacher, don't think i would eva take my CTS on a track i no for sure it would never ammount too much, but who cares, as an all rounder the CTS is a !Removed! good car and further more CTR aint no supercar either. B)

I think when it comes down to replacing mine i am gonna stick to a CTS, less in your face and more f**k what was that that went flying past me!!

I find it funny how the only people who belive the CTS to be better than the CRT are CTS owners. I dont just mean on comfort but many also belive it out performs the CTR.

YOUR WRONG

Every car review magazine gives the CTS a poor wright up these people test cars for a living and have probably tested more cars than i have had hot meals. Surely that gives them the experiance to judge between them.

The CTS is a nippy car drive another "standard" car and you will see that however its is not a true hot hatch.

AGAIN never said it was better (CTS that is)

just if you can't drive it to its full, then it is'nt going to perform to its full is it .

enyone talking in the same tong as me :blink:

I am not trying to start an argument just what you said seemed a little strange, you said add a few corners and you would whip a CTR!

All I was saying is that by throwing the Civic a few sharp bends you are doing it a favour as it would out perform the Corolla in this area.

I understand that you need a good driver to exploit the most from any car and the driver can sometimes make the difference even enough to win a race in a car not as quick!

Nick

I just wish people would stop drilling me I really rate the Corolla I owned one for a year and a half don’t forget, but as a drivers car there is only one real winner. As an overall package now that’s a personal opinion, which you guys have decided, the Corolla fits better!

I accept you decision, honestly I do but to say it’s a better handling car is simply not true!

I have just got my MSA track licence and in my spare time I enjoy driving on track days hence the CTR is a better overall package to me!

Nick

The CTS is a nippy car drive another "standard" car and you will see that however its is not a true hot hatch.

After owning a mazda 323 2.0 sport for last 2 years I beg to differ.

The CTS totally outclasses the mazda and is a better car than the Golf GTI ( test drove this as well)

Why do we have arguments about CTS or CTR who cares.

For me the CTS is a better car/choice as it meets my needs better than a CTR I looked at both before deciding., I got a 5 door CTS (family man), it has more toys to play with (much required necesity for me) nd its cheaper to insure, more economical. It has plenty of power, noone who has driven one believes 8.4 secs as quoted, its realistically what about .5-.8 secs slower than CTR big wow.

The CTR is a nice fast car, but so is the CTS, for me they suit 2 differnet types of drivers.

The CTS will out perform most things you will meet on the road. Wjat more do you need.

i love forums :D

was'nt drilling you nick.

:group-cuddles:

what track do you go to???????

good handling who needs it :lol:

tyres theres another subject.

no iam not going there :lol::lol::lol:

Cool Pic, hard too tell but were you totaly sideways?

Nah i know think i have aired enough about CTS-CTR comparisments, me being a business driver you realy get the best of both worlds with the CTS i was mightly impressed by one of our Italian Chooms has put a TRD kit in to his Tspirit D4D and is currently getting 140BHP from it what a beast, you know if toyota done a special edition one of those i am sure the would sell many.

Just love my Jackal & Hide CTS, standard car my *****, think too many people think that when they see the car, i blew the nuts of a Focus TDCI the other day, think the boy had no idea what he was messing with. :cacker:

I totally agree with toyota rally. It's just that when you go as fast as you can round the hairpin you think that noone can catch you, and that your car is the best out there!!! but then some real pro just gives you a little advice and after that you go even faster!!

It reminds me of the people who use cheat when they play a game, rock the hell out of the single player game and then get honestly surprised when they are equally dlown off by others in multiplayer games!!!

Speak to a pro driver and let him show you what excersises he does!!! (Example - try holding up the revs in steps (while parked!) - go from 1k to 2k to 3 and then down. Try to change the revs as fast and as percise as you can...) then ask a pro - he will do it on any car far better than you - and this excersise is just one of many which allow you to "feel" the car...

OK this is my 2p worth I've just purchased a CTS new Facelift one and to be honest it doesn't corner as well as the Yaris SR I have just come from (michelin tyres), it also doesn't handle as well as the Civic Type R I roadtested what it does do is handle well enough and go well enough for me to choose it from all the cars I tested, I am super chuffed with my CTS, its quiet a lot quieter than the Civic and its got more toys.

And I have to say if you have the same driver around a track the Type R would be probably 15-20% faster, if you purchased the CTS as the ultimate hot hatch you've bought the wrong car, if you've purchased it like myself as an everyday car to scare myself in occasionally then its the perfect car...

Just my opinion so don't shot me... :group-cuddles:

And who really cares if you want to blow everything away on the roads then you should pop along to a motorcycle dealer because quite frankly most of these cars performances are pants compared to even a 600cc bike and they are far better on fuel, if only we had the weather... :hokus-pokus:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links