Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oh The Look On His Face........

theenemywithin

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bzn

• Yarisboy

• Treuno

• The Gooner

their flagship model will be 250+ bhp.

talking about anything from deutscheland on here is a waste of time though as there is a very anti-german atmosphere.

I dont want to pi*s on anyones fire who owns a T/Sport but you could never beat a scooby what ever the conditions! When the turbo kicks in on the scooby it pulls so well it is unbelivable!

You will be able to beat a non turbs scooby because i have beat a couple of them in my AE86!

You eat my words!

I´m tired to scream the engine to limiter it going.It lacks lower torque .That started to ***** me off after couple of weeks when I get my TS.Definitely change it to Golf V GTI WHEN IT ARRIVES here in finland.Maybe it offers torque I want.Cts is fast when you keep it over 6200 rpm but IT LACKS TORQUE BIG TIME.That´s what ****** me off.Hope you understand what I MEAN. :thumbsup:

Just name one 1.8 N/A engine with a better torque curve.... ?

I thought that looked a bit odd too arnt they doing a more powerful one though too

There is a reumorued 230bhp lightweight gti model and in 2006 there will be a R34 or R36 which is the 4 wheel drive 270BHP version

talking about anything from deutscheland on here is a waste of time though as there is a very anti-german atmosphere.

Yeah, of course there will be with their reliability!

Yeah, of course there will be with their reliability!

Have the German vehicles problems with reliablilty these days?

I'm not a fan of Modern German cars but do like the old Opels such as the 'Kapitian' and 'Commodores' of the 50's to the 70's and I like the N.S.U Prinz. Even so I am not that interested in their modern vehicles I did respect there build quality because I thought they were reliabile.

The engine was never designed to be tourquey, it is a high revving power ddelivering power at top end, for me this offers you a car that can plod aoround town economically and when you want some power you can get it, and if you get in right gear you can have power at any speed, Except from the go of course.

The Vtech engine over at honda is similar being low torque hig revving, with power at top end.

Having driven a golf and hearing reports about VW after sales ect I would think twice about buying golf.

after driving an NA as a hire car, I couldn't go back to a stock 4pot NA again ..

I'm thinking about a 2nd car to keep the miles off the MR2 .. and a 3.0 V6 is about the only NA engine I'm looking at ..

It's all well and good saying you have 200bhp and 150 lb/ft of torque, but if you need to get to 8k rpm to get that performance. In my MR2 it's over 200 lb/ft @ 3k rpm all the way to red line.

It's all well and good saying you have 200bhp and 150 lb/ft of torque, but if you need to get to 8k rpm to get that performance. In my MR2 it's over 200 lb/ft @ 3k rpm all the way to red line.

I never

But the figures are 190 bhp with 180lb/ft

It pulls nicely upto 6k and then the lift kicks in, Very nice engine to play with

he doesn't want to name a 1.8 n/a with a better torque curve, he simply wants a car with more torque.

Then why did he buy this one? This is not to blame the car!

Don't ask me why he bought one, ask him

and step down off your Corolla Tsport high horse while you're at it.

No one is having a go at your car.

Well said Yarisboy!!

You Corolla Tsport lot get really tetchy when we slightly criticise your car model!

As i work for Toyota i can tell you that they defo arnt a perfect car(far from it) and they definately dont pul well up2 6k! (Gooner!) But i will admit they are fun when they hit the VVTl-i.

Trueno, I think toyota would have hit the jackpot had they introduced the 1.8 vvtli to the new mr2, perfect combination in my opinion!

just look at what it's done for the new elise, supercar performance from a 1.8 NA

Trueno the TS pulls better through the revs than my 323 2.0 Sport I exchanged for it, and then you get the added bonus at the end.

The engine is not very tourquey but it was never designed to be. Its designed to give power at 6k and above not before,

I have found that when pulling off line quick you can hit lift quickly in first and stay in their through gears :D :D

The car also acts nicely in low revs through town and is nice to drive,

It is wrong car to buy if you want low rev performance, and there are cars out there that will give you better low down performance.

Trueno, I think toyota would have hit the jackpot had they introduced the 1.8 vvtli to the new mr2, perfect combination in my opinion!

just look at what it's done for the new elise, supercar performance from a 1.8 NA

Well i cant wait until January next year because the MR2 is going to be avalible with a Turbo!

They have already stiffened up the Shell and put extra suspension arms on to cope with the extra power!

Then we may get some low down pull also with the high revving!

The new MR2's may look like a little hair dressers car , but they are the best handling one so far! Especially with its trick diff(think its like a torque bias diff!) They go sideways with more confidence!

I thought that's what MR-S is rougly is! I think it's also called MR-2 (gen 3) in the world (MR-S in japan). It wiighs around a tonn and as i've read in some mag drives superb

And also my opinion about all the low-rev torque stuff:

Low range torque mainly allows you to do sneaky overtakes, fast shifts in traffic and other "misbehavings". It's not a problem for a sports car to deliver all it's power at the top (if, of course the driver is skilled enough).

Now if you want to race on the street - then, OK, you need a torquey engine, but there comes the second question - racing on the street. Yeah, it quite thrilling - but is the fun worth the risk? In my opinion, the racing should be left for some other place. On the street - a usual 1.6 - 2.0 engine is more than enogh (for a C-segment car). The CTS has got that, along with the enonomy, low-profile looks, etc.

When racing you obviously need more (if you want some performance). The 2zz-ge's performance on the lift isn't bad at all.

So, the CTS gives you a balance of both worlds.

Obviously, if far from perfect.

Compare it with a turbocharged MR-2 - it's crap in accel and handling.

Compare it with some 3.0 V6 - say Mondeo ST220 - yes, you'll loose on the street.

Mind you that these are cars from totally different classes! Let alone comparing it to two cars!

My point wasn´t to upset all CTS owners here,just told you guys my own opinion about cts.I didn´t say it is crap or not good car compared to others just meant that

it´s bit toothless from 3000-6000.Nobody can´t deny it.From 6000rpm it´s different

story... :lol:

BR,samppa

I also agree th CTS is not the fastest or best handling car in its class, but as far as the reasons i bought it initialy and why i still enjoy it and intend to hopefully upgrade to a face lift model eventualy are:

1) Car is very understated, perfect for business car not too flashy.

2) Car is reasonibly economical again for this class of car

3) Been a Toyota owner for 5 Years (3 Cars)

4) The look on people's faces when you fly past

5) The excelent grip in the wet

6) The Lift.

The list could go on and on..

I no we CTS guy's always get wound up when someone disses the car, but too be fair they are actualy pretty damn fine cars.

Hey, what's wrong with you?

I asked him if he can find a better torque curve from an 1.8 NA engine and you responded instead... I didn't speak of my CTS; this engine is also fitted in Celica TS. So what's this attitute all about? You jealous or biased of something?

QUOTE (Yarisboy @ Oct 31 2004, 11:37 AM)

QUOTE (BZN @ Oct 31 2004, 05:44 PM)

I thought that's what MR-S is rougly is! I think it's also called MR-2 (gen 3) in the world (MR-S in japan). It wiighs around a tonn and as i've read in some mag drives superb

No the MR-S Is just a Jap imort MR-2! Hardly any difference! Just a few differences in apperance, but mechanically they are identical!

No the MR-S Is just a Jap imort MR-2! Hardly any difference! Just a few differences in apperance, but mechanically they are identical!

That?s what I meant. MR-S had got the 2zz-ge. Its not as light as the elise mainly because of safety and loads of gadjets...

Compare it with some 3.0 V6 - say Mondeo ST220 - yes, you'll loose on the street.

heh heh .. looks like I've upset a few peeps ..

All I was trying to say is that I like power .. it's good for getting you out of trouble (and even better for getting you into trouble) the V6 I'm looking at is an old Alfa 164. About 230 bhp and redlines about 6.5k. but it's rapid, and with loads of low down grunt.

My MR2 is over 200 lb/ft for 80% of the rev range (peaks about 260/270 @ 3500).

I'm not a fan of having to stay in the right "power band" or having to keep the revs up (I drink with a few CRX Vtec boys and we argue day in day out about this).

I like power where you just plant your foot and you are off .. and if it's got a turbo whistle and over a bar of boost, so much the better ..

heh heh .. looks like I've upset a few peeps ..

All I was trying to say is that I like power .. it's good for getting you out of trouble (and even better for getting you into trouble) the V6 I'm looking at is an old Alfa 164. About 230 bhp and redlines about 6.5k. but it's rapid, and with loads of low down grunt.

My MR2 is over 200 lb/ft for 80% of the rev range (peaks about 260/270 @ 3500).

I'm not a fan of having to stay in the right "power band" or having to keep the revs up (I drink with a few CRX Vtec boys and we argue day in day out about this).

I like power where you just plant your foot and you are off .. and if it's got a turbo whistle and over a bar of boost, so much the better ..

Don't think of it as you upset the CTS people here. Many of them have found just what they want and need, and now look at the others from what yarisboy calls the CTS horse ;) B)

Many people (like me) just don't need that kind of power. And as so I don't want to pay for it (in terms of fuel consumption and taxes)!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links