Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Guage

Demonic Angel

When I bought Kaori, Farmer & Carlisle Toyota kindly filled the tank for me, so when I picked her up on the 18th Dec she had a full tank and approx 320-ish miles left on the range

As time has gone on, the miles are going down (now 120) but the petrol guage is still high, in fact its only one chip of the digital block, so to speak - surely it should show less than half a tank?

I know with Karis, when I first got her, it did take a while for the digital instruments to read true when it came to petrol, but this just seems weird - according to my guage I have almost a full tank but the car tells me I have under half a tank

I have been doing a few trips to and from Rugby in it over Christmas and since new I've done about 190 miles so I know how much I should have, its just worrying the car doesnt seem to show the correct amount.

I'm guessing it is a "new car thing" and will sort itself out over fuel fill-ups?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Demonic Angel

• T V O R

• seveer unaek

• reece

strange cant help here perhaps the car has to learn its consumtion etc?

today after driving for a while on the fuel light i put my foot down round a bend an the car spluttered so i chilled out an limped to the garage but thats the closest ive bin to pushing it, an i managed to use 10 quids worth of fuel last nite which cant be right? DAMN PETROL PRICES!

I'll try that - thanks!

Its just so weird - you'd think digital instruments would be more "accurate" than analogue ones - seems its not the case.

I had similar issues with Karis - although I ended up stranded in Coventry with no petrol after one minute it saying I had loads and the next saying I had none! It sorted itself out eventually though and was faultless after that.

sounds like a dodgy sender to me

id take it back to mr t for a look

I'll do what Reece suggested first and if its still playing up I'll take it to Mr T.

Makes me wish I'd bought a T-Sport now - bet the analogue instruments are never wrong..... :D :P

Perhaps its a computer thing, like Lee said, perhaps it needs to learn the proper consumption and to do that you have to fill it up again?

The fuel guage is still digital in the T-Sport if i'm not mistaken...? Or maybe that's just in the Vitz RS, but speedo and tachometer are analogue

the t-sport has still got a digitial fuel gauge :P :lol:

rev counter and speedo are analogue and even they are electronically controlled!

sorry to bust ya bubble

The fuel guage is still digital in the T-Sport if i'm not mistaken...? Or maybe that's just in the Vitz RS, but speedo and tachometer are analogue

I wasnt sure - I know the dials are analogue, I thought everything else was too....

I dont know, never been in one, just seen pics!

sorry to bust ya bubble

Bubble intact!

So I'm guessing no-one else has had this problem apart from me then with the digital fuel guage? :wacko:

I wasnt sure - I know the dials are analogue, I thought everything else was too....

hi em,

if you come to the midlands mini meet end of january i'll take you out

in mine and i promise you you'll love it :D

as for the guage mines the same,takes ages to move the 1st couple

of bars then the others just quickly go down.

hi em,

if you come to the midlands mini meet end of january i'll take you out

in mine and i promise you you'll love it :D

as for the guage mines the same,takes ages to move the 1st couple

of bars then the others just quickly go down.

I may have to take you up on that offer Kim - that is, if I can make the meet!

I was going to test drive a T-Sport before I bought Kaori but then I thought "No, because then you'll want one, you silly girl! lol

(Goes off to find info about the Midlands meet....)

When I got Jade the fuel gauge seemed to work fine from the start, I have never had any problems with it. See how it goes for a bit longer and if there is no improvement take her back to MrT!!

Blue

When I got Jade the fuel gauge seemed to work fine from the start, I have never had any problems with it.  See how it goes for a bit longer and if there is no improvement take her back to MrT!!

Blue

Yeah - I had exactly they same problem with Karis too for the first month or so - and its not even like its the same batch or cars or cars at a particular Toyota garage as they were 10 months apart and came from different centres anyway - they are even complete different registrations (Karis was a BP Brum registered and Kaori is FD Nottingham registered)

Anyway, none of that matters, I just hope once she gets filled up again it'll get sorted.... it wouldnt bother me if I actually had that much petrol, but I know I dont! :D

Fill it up and keep an eye on the TRIP A & B, you should get 300/350+ miles depending on your driving, if you reach that figure and you are still full then I would suspect a problem. I have a feeling (I normally get one this time of year) that things will be OK

I have a feeling (I normally get one this time of year) that things will be OK

Thank you Reece - thats good to hear! :D

I'll just keep an eye on it - although do you recommend filling her up now or waiting til shes a bit lower on the range?

IMO digital fuel gauges are never as good as a normal one mines sitting on 0miles atm yet the guage is still showing 2 bars left

Fill her up now, do a re-set and enjoy your new car, come 300/350 miles you will know either way.

If it is faulty now, you won't know how much is in there as we speak

IMO digital fuel gauges are never as good as a normal one mines sitting on 0miles atm yet the guage is still showing 2 bars left

Really? How odd! Then you've gotta think, which one do you believe?

On mine I'm more inclined to believe the range rather than the guage as that appears to be more accurate on my car.

Reset the range when you fill up

I've had my D-4D for a couple of months and done 4000 miles.

From my experience: from a full tank I've found that it takes about 120 miles for the first fuel guage LED to go out. Then about further 70 miles for the second one to go out. Then very approximately 50 miles for each of the remaining LED segments.

It takes about 60 miles for each bar to drop in mine. I always fill up when I reach 2 bars left. At that point, Ive normally done about 300-360 miles, but the range shows less than 50 left, but 2 bars left should mean I could do another 100 atleast.

Never pushed it get it to 0 on the range....anyone done this to see how much "extra" is left in the tank?

No - when my last Yaris went to 0 miles I stopped and called my boyfriend to bring me some petrol! :D

I’ve driven down to one bar just to see if the low fuel warning light worked and what it looked like for future reference, it did work, the fuel computer had zeroed some time before, I will now go by the gauge.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links