Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla Verso Mmt Problems

janiej

Dear Ray:

Alot of members has asked him about the bulletin in which T Gb has sent its dealers re: MMt problems on Verso MMt. My dealers did n't show this to me so is it possible for you to give us this information here? e.g., what parts needs to be change etc?

Many thanks

R t

I'm new to this forum, and only looked it up when I started experiencing problems with my Yaris MMT. Initial problem was 2 years ago when car was 1 year old. The gears stuck in 3rd while I was acceleraing and I was unable to change up or down The garage claimed they could find nothing wrong. Then in Feb this year, when it was just out of warranty, the gears went in to neutral while I was overtaking, the car lost power and I had to coast off to the opposite side of the road as there were cars overtaking behind me!!! While bringing it to the garage it happened again. The trouble code showed aproblem with the clutch actuator and ecu. Customer relations offered me reduced rate on parts, and I'm having it repaired next week. I'm not happy, as this forum shows I'm not the only one experiencing these problems, and there's no guarantee it won't recur. I've contacted BBC Watchdog and would urge everyone reading this with a similar problem to do likewise. This is areally dangerous fault and should be acknowledged by Toyota.

I'm new to this forum, and only looked it up when I started experiencing problems with my Yaris MMT. Initial problem was 2 years ago when car was 1 year old. The gears stuck in 3rd while I was acceleraing and I was unable to change up or down The garage claimed they could find nothing wrong. Then in Feb this year, when it was just out of warranty, the gears went in to neutral while I was overtaking, the car lost power and I had to coast off to the opposite side of the road as there were cars overtaking behind me!!! While bringing it to the garage it happened again. The trouble code showed aproblem with the clutch actuator and ecu. Customer relations offered me reduced rate on parts, and I'm having it repaired next week. I'm not happy, as this forum shows I'm not the only one experiencing these problems, and there's no guarantee it won't recur. I've contacted BBC Watchdog and would urge everyone reading this with a similar problem to do likewise. This is areally dangerous fault and should be acknowledged by Toyota.

Have just written to Watchdog - urge you all to do the same. If enough of you write they, and Toyota may take this potentially lethal problem seriously. We live in hope!

As usual Ray 99 has given some sound advice but after my dealing with with Toyota customer services regarding another matter I do not hold out much hope for you .there attitude was appalling even writing to Graham Smith( Toyota GB managing director) at the time, Toyota Europe ,and even Toyota Japan I never did receive a explanation from them regarding my problem despite a lot of sympathetic noises being made by Toyota japan in fact I was shocked by the arrogance of Toyota GB.

Have just written to Watchdog - urge you all to do the same. If enough of you write they, and Toyota may take this potentially lethal problem seriously. We live in hope!

Hi,

I bought a Toyota Verso MMT in Dec 2006. Reading the views in this column I was concerned about the problem with MMT. But I was very keen on this car as it suited me just right. I brought this to the attention of my dealer, who acknowledged that some models had a problem ,but my car has been checked and there is no problem with the gear box.

I was very happy with my purchase till yesterday when I faced the dreaded "N" problem. The car suddenly went into neutral and I couldn't drive as the gear was stuck in neutral. Thankfully I was in slow moving traffic.There was a beeping sound from the engine too. I called RAC , but when I tried after 10 mintes it was fine. The same problem occured again twice more , but I reached home safely.

You can imagine how devastated I am feeling. I instantly lost all trust in the car and Toyota. I cannot take my family out again in this car.

I am taking the car to the dealer tomorrow , but am not very hopeful of a solution after reading all the other users experience with this problem.

I'm sorry to sound pessimistic but if Toyota admit that your car is not merely an unfortunate "anomaly" that they can fix they will have to admit that the design of this car is flawed and call in the whole lot. By all means do try with Toyota (you have very little other option) but I strongly suggest that you do email Watchdog. They haven't responded to me as yet - presumably they think I am one isolated individual but if they get a critical mass of people they are more likely (and by that I don't mean they will definitely do anything either - but more likely to do something). Our only weapon in this battle against Toyota is national media exposure - they need to be made to account to themselves to all Toyota owners - including those who still believe that Toyota = reliability and excellent customer service. My car is a lease and goes back next February in any case but I think this problem is really appalling and Toyota should do something about it to stop someone getting killed!

just to update anyone following-

after this problem my clutch burned out and i traded the car (3 years old and only just out of warranty) in to a dealer for a full automatic. I was not convinced that it would not recur since it was not me who engaged the clutch at all but the car's computer system. It's not that i wish to pass my problem on to someone unsuspecting but when they all say it is now fixed i will still feel as if it might pop itself into neutral without warning again someday.

seemed to me like toyota did not want to know, really.

Given Toyotas lack of action, it seems this is the safest, but perhaps most financially costly route. I handed mine back about 3 months ago. They are simply not safe.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello to all you MMT verso owners,

I am new to this forum but I am looking at buying a new car for my increasing family ( I have a 15 month old and am expecting a further arrival in late July). Having looked at various car magazines, the Which recommendations and other literature I narrowed down my list of possible choices to a Touran, Honda FRV or Verso.

Having driven all three of these but unfortunately not the MMT version of the verso (just the manual) I was impressed with the toyota verso and it definitely ticks most boxes but I definitely need an automatic. My question to you all is do you believe that the new Verso TR or spirit models have the same problems or should I steer clear of the toyota mmt altogether.

Also I was wondering is it possible for a new verso to be ordered as a full automatic or do they only make a MMT model.

:help:

Don't know the answer to your latter question but I would say (wouldn't I...) steer clear of the MMT! It may not fail you - but you'll always have the nagging suspicion that it will. If it does you'll be stuck with an un-reliable lemon that you'll have to trade at a substantial loss. You'll may be the sanguine type, but you may curse the day you went to this forum, saw the trouble we've all had but bought the car anyway. My opinion...Toyota should not be selling this car. I recently wrote to the CEO of Toyota UK just to make a public record of the fact that this car should not be on the road. They really don't care and they won't help you if you come un-stuck. Toyota are basically sharks like all the other car makers, no worse but no better either - they just have better marketing and PR.

Dear jsp30:

Try the new Honda FRV 1.8 auto. I find Honda more reliable-my mum's Civic is now 14 years old! But FRV has only 6 seats. VW are generally less reliable and dealers no good-see car surveys. Try Vauxhall Zafria auto.too-if you can get a good discount they are good European cars and every body knows how to fix them.

STAY CLEAR OF MMT VERSO! NO TOYOTA DON'T HAVE A FULLY AUTO VERSO-UNFORTUNATELY.

GOOD LUCK

Whatcar? 's JD power survey showed the Verso as being the top MPV! They must be having a laugh-reliable, good dealerships...must be joking! I think non of the MMt owners were invited in the survey! Still I did do the Top Gear survey and told them my problems. Hopefully it will show up them!

I am new to this forum but I am looking at buying a new car for my increasing family ( I have a 15 month old and am expecting a further arrival in late July). Having looked at various car magazines, the Which recommendations and other literature I narrowed down my list of possible choices to a Touran, Honda FRV or Verso.

Having driven all three of these but unfortunately not the MMT version of the verso (just the manual) I was impressed with the toyota verso and it definitely ticks most boxes but I definitely need an automatic. My question to you all is do you believe that the new Verso TR or spirit models have the same problems or should I steer clear of the toyota mmt altogether.

Also I was wondering is it possible for a new verso to be ordered as a full automatic or do they only make a MMT model.

[Dear all:

Further to my postings, I recieved a letter from Vechicle and Operator servcies Agency (VOSA). They have asked Toyota GB to investigate the MMt gear box problem and to see whether "a feature of design or construction liable to cause significant risk if personal injury or death". So please if you could write to the following regarding your problems, that would be great!

Mr Martin Ryder

Automotive Engineer

Vehicle Safety Branch

VOSA

Vehicle Safety Branch

Berkelery House

Croydon Street

Bristol BS5 0DA

www.vosa.gov.uk

I agree , everyone suffering with the MMT problem should take collective action. Thanks for providing the address.

AG

[Dear all:

Further to my postings, I recieved a letter from Vechicle and Operator servcies Agency (VOSA). They have asked Toyota GB to investigate the MMt gear box problem and to see whether "a feature of design or construction liable to cause significant risk if personal injury or death". So please if you could write to the following regarding your problems, that would be great!

Mr Martin Ryder

Automotive Engineer

Vehicle Safety Branch

VOSA

Vehicle Safety Branch

Berkelery House

Croydon Street

Bristol BS5 0DA

www.vosa.gov.uk

I bought my Toyota Verso MMT in Dec 2006, even though I was aware of the problem after going through this forum. Was devastated when it surfaced in March. Although its been fixed, there is always nagging feeling it would happen again. So I would advise not to go for the MMT model.

• 2 weeks later...

Why did I not think of searching for common problems with Verso before buying. Would never have bought an MMT version if I had seen all these comments. Cant wait to get rid of mine.

Bought in July 95 from main dealer it had done 2000 miles. Now done 20000. Had problem the very first day . Could not select a gear at a junction. After a while able to drive to dealer thankfully only a mile away.

Did it again in forecourt. Toyota said there was a known problem fixed by an ECU replacement.

Few months later warning buzzer going up hill in traffic. No idea what it was - called RAC they said wait and try driving again - sound stopped.

A month later same place same result. I guessed it was the clutch / gearbox. started to do propoer hill starts ie from neutral to 1st gear - using hand brake and leaving big gaps.

ALso got burning smell.

a few months later had 2 occasions of now known dreaded flashing N one week apart.

Next week in traffic in town on flat level had stomger burning smell.

GO to dealer as on holiday the coming weekend, Solution replace gear box and clutch. Done 16 000 miles.

Thought that was the end but no two weeks later back on that old hill in traffic and the buzzing returns. Thats it car has to go. Concerned that I will suffer similar fate to other members in more scary situations. Kid and wife to worry about.

Only bought the Toyota cause of the best rep for reliablity. Had an Alfa 156 which was great until I suffered the infmaous cam belt problem of that car.

Just hope can get rid of my car before the news that all Toyota dealers know about comes out of the closet.

Otherwise the big hit on sale will be seriously huge making a replacement in affordable.

I feel so sorry for all you unfortunate people who purchased a MMT Verso it could so easily have been me as well but I plumped for the 2-2 D4D Verso it really is just not good enough for Toyota to continue to ignore this problem and what makes it more annoying when you read a comment like this taken from a Toyota website

. Where ‘Customer first’ began

In any competitive business, customer satisfaction is a top priority. For us, that’s just the point of departure.

Our goal is to turn customer satisfaction into Complete Customer Satisfaction. This means delivering beyond expectations. It means listening to customers and constantly seeking to do things better. And it means going the extra mile to ensure that owners feel positive about their Toyota vehicle at every stage of the customer experience.

The concept of “Customer first” originated in the Toyota Production System. Irrespective of how flawless and pleasing the final product may be, we would consider it meaningless if it didn’t meet customers’ demands and satisfy their needs

• 2 weeks later...

Dear oh Dear, I have only just discovered this forum. After being fobbed off by Toyota Customer Relations I googled "problems with Toyota MMT" and found this sorry list. My story: After 12 months and 30k miles my gearbox decided to jump to N and stubbornly remain there quite disregarding the fact that I was in the 3rd lane of the M62. I managed to get to the hard shoulder with nothing worse than an urgent need for the loo. My dealer replaced the clutch and associated control unit. After another 11 months and a further 28k miles it happened again, this time on a long straight and narrow B road (clearly the local race track) where passing drivers obviously thought I had stopped to pass the time of day on my mobile phone. This time only the control unit was changed. After another month, the gearbox opted for neutral once more - this time on a particularly bendy bit of the Snake Pass -- aaaargh! I'm currently awaiting return of car without enthusiasm - especially as my hire car is a Peugeot with tiptronic which really shows up what a clunky piece of kit the MMT is. Meanwhile, I have contacted Martin Ryder at VOSA as recommended by previous poster, for which many thanks.

[

I have read this forum with a growing sense of dispair..I too Googled MMT faults and found this site as my lovely new Yaris is in for repairs again and for the second time at only four months old! I understand why some people have attributed this problem to driving style but I along with a growing number of people have a serious fault.

My car has been marvellously entertaining over the past month, refusing to get into any gear, staying stubbornly in first gear, moving into third gear at traffic lights and losing all power and flicking erratically between 3rd and 4th before losing all power. It does this with the dash board lighting up like Blackpool Illuminations and I am sure the bulb will be worn out on the transmission warning light.

Toyota detected an error 53 initially and replaced a 'sensor'. This hasn't worked and now they say that they don't know what is wrong and will have to speak to some senior-style technician in the morning.

As much as I miss my car (and I really do) I am so worried about his safety (and yes, he is a He) and my own safety when driving him. I have owned 7 Toyotas and have recommended them to others....what a fool I feel now! Incidently, my Husbands new Auris bought at the same time as mine and with the same 1.4 Diesel engine with MMT is as smooth as silk, or am I waiting for that to go the same way.

Thanks. Submitted a letter but no reply yet.

Interesting to note that more than 10000 people had looked at the postings on this subject!

:thumbsup:

[Dear All: Update from VOSA.

Got a call from Mr M. Ryder from VOSA. Wanted to know what happened with the MMt. So I told him every thing. He will carry on investigating on our behalf. Hope you guys have been writing to him as regards to the safety problem. Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
Telephone call and reply to letter from VOSA. They are looking into the problems.

Have now traded in my MMT Verso for a Skoda.

Had real trouble - received either no quote - not interested - or seriously below book price quotes.

Believe I lost quite a sum in the end as poor negotiating position for buying next car.

ps Love my new car so far and cannot find any similar concerns with VW based DSG automatic clutch gearbox !

OH and meaning to say I have written to VOSA today.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys,

I had a problem with flashing "N" as all of you. My garage solved the problem as a warranty repair. There is Toyota service bulletin CP-5013 regarding this problem and applicable to ZNR11, NDE120 cars. The DTC service code is P0810 - Loss of drive/Unable to select gears.

The recommended procedure is to replace the MMT ECU - production date greater that Oct13, 2004 resp. Nov 10, 2004 for DTE120 car and the replacement of whole clutch Assy. The new model of ECU logic should to suit better to high load conditions.

Hi,

Can you please send this document to me?

I think toyota europe wants money for subscription and I don't need any.

Vlad

• 3 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links