Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla 1.6 Vvti

INNUENDO

Oh right, sorry about that. Shows my limited knowledge of engines.

Thanks.

Mark, slight confusion I think.

Supposedly toyota changed the design OF the SHORT BLOCK. Short block is the block, crank, rods and piston assembly (as opposed to the full engine which includes the cylinder head and timing assembly)

After going back and forth to my dealer will oil usage issues they took the car in last week and stripped it down. I then got a call of the service manager to say that some bloke from toyota GB had inspected the car, and confirmed that i need a new engine. I should get mine back end of this week and all should be fine. Its been a ball ache going to the dealer every 10 days or so for the last 5000 miles but its gettin sorted now. I got the car with 25k on it its now on 50k and i was using a litre of oil every 2k and it just got worse in the end i was getting blue smoke and a sump of oil was lasting around 500-750 miles.

mine is a 2002 1.6 and is using a litre to 1k they only monitored it for 1k miles going in on the 25th for strip down and bore measurements.they still insist that new shape corollas dont have a problem lets wait and see

After going back and forth to my dealer will oil usage issues they took the car in last week and stripped it down. I then got a call of the service manager to say that some bloke from toyota GB had inspected the car, and confirmed that i need a new engine. I should get mine back end of this week and all should be fine. Its been a ball ache going to the dealer every 10 days or so for the last 5000 miles but its gettin sorted now. I got the car with 25k on it its now on 50k and i was using a litre of oil every 2k and it just got worse in the end i was getting blue smoke and a sump of oil was lasting around 500-750 miles.

mine is a 2002 1.6 and is using a litre to 1k they only monitored it for 1k miles going in on the 25th for strip down and bore measurements.they still insist that new shape corollas dont have a problem lets wait and see

I have found out yesterday of a toyota trained tech tho that 1.4 1.6 1.8 vvt-i's do have weak heads and are known to crack so that to could be a cause of your oil problem. Like you say just have to wait and see get my car back tomorrow new engine can't wait. Hope this one lasts longer than the last one.

This is the first I've heard of this oil burning problem (presume engines and petrol are the same here in Ireland?)! I've almost 100k done on my 2000 1.4 vvti corolla and it never burnt oil! :thumbsup:

Just going to look at a 2000 1.6vvti g6r tomorow, came on to see what i could find out about them. Bit put off now :crybaby:

Yup, I sold a 2001 1.6 Corolla (face lift old model with the first VVT-i engine before the new shape came out) and never used a drop in 70k, even when I was so dumb that I didn't realize how much moving away from the city had increased my mileage and did 25k between a service. One blown bulb was all I had in four years of ownership.

Obviously the VVT-i is not a bad engine as such, but somewhere around 2002 some badly machined (is it the bore or cyliders?) parts got through before it was noticed. Naturally I would have been totally gutted if my nice new reliable Corolla, or indeed my nice new reliable Avensis now, developed a fault like this, and no, a litre per 1k would not be acceptable. Perhaps people here need to know which year/years of second hand cars are best avoided? Which are they?

Overall, hasn't the VVT-i proven reliable bar this one batch containg the odd lemon? It gives good power and fuel economy and runs very sweetly imo. The only lack, the same as the last engines, is that you don't get so much out of them at low revs. Having said that, if my Avensis runs dry and dies I'll certainly be here (or at least in the Avensis section) shouting a different opinion, who wouldn't?

you corolla was made in witch month?

my 1.6 vvt-i was bought in 2002.. have only 22000 kms .. i'm affraid that after the garanty that oil problem appear :unsure:

Just going to look at a 2000 1.6vvti g6r tomorow, came on to see what i could find out about them. Bit put off now :crybaby:

There is never a G6-R deliverd with a 1600 VVTi engine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wacko:

toyota know which engines are duff this why they take a note of the engine block number

its cheaper to repair when engine gone than to do a recall

but the more who know about this problem will make all the difference

toyota know which engines are duff this why they take a note of the engine block number

its cheaper to repair when engine gone than to do a recall

but the more who know about this problem will make all the difference

Dose anyone know how we can find out which engines are duff?, someone on this forum must work for toyota? :help:

Got my car back friday after having a engine replacement due to excessive oil use. The cars effected where produced from 2000-2002. Only the 1.4 1.6 1.8 units are at fault. Its a bore problem has these 3 engine are all the same bore but different stroke.

Got my car back friday after having a engine replacement due to excessive oil use. The cars effected where produced from 2000-2002. Only the 1.4 1.6 1.8 units are at fault. Its a bore problem has these 3 engine are all the same bore but different stroke.

So dose this effect E12 corolla's as they were produced from 2002-onwards, sorry if this sounds a naff question.

Some E12 owners have reported high oil consumption. The answer my dealer gave was some early ones maybe effected. On the other hand tho the vvt-i's can suffer from weak heads and they can crack causing oil consumption problems. All you you can do is check your oil level if/when is starts to drop take it back to the dealer. They should then start to monitor your oil level over 3000 miles ie going back to the dealer after doing a 1000 miles, they will check the level top it up then back again another 2 time. They will then work out how much oil was put into the car send all this data to toyota along with your block number, if its found to be a duff unit toyota will ask for the bore size to be checked and that data sent away once thats all done toyota will then issue a replacment block. Its a long process but if you have problems it will be sorted just takes some time.

Some E12 owners have reported high oil consumption. The answer my dealer gave was some early ones maybe effected. On the other hand tho the vvt-i's can suffer from weak heads and they can crack causing oil consumption problems. All you you can do is check your oil level if/when is starts to drop take it back to the dealer. They should then start to monitor your oil level over 3000 miles ie going back to the dealer after doing a 1000 miles, they will check the level top it up then back again another 2 time. They will then work out how much oil was put into the car send all this data to toyota along with your block number, if its found to be a duff unit toyota will ask for the bore size to be checked and that data sent away once thats all done toyota will then issue a replacment block. Its a long process but if you have problems it will be sorted just takes some time.

ok thanks for that, i'am just worried that my car might be effected as it has started to use a lot of oil lately, and its out of warrent aswell. its a 2002 1.6 e12.

There is never a G6-R deliverd with a 1600 VVTi engine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wacko:

Sorry it's a corolla sr, my bad! Bought it anyway, hopefully it wont burn any oil. :huh:

ok thanks for that, i'am just worried that my car might be effected as it has started to use a lot of oil lately, and its out of warrent aswell. its a 2002 1.6 e12.

mine is a 2002 1.6 tspirit done 34k and is burning oil. doesn't matter if its out of warranty as long as you have got full toyota history they will replace lower block for you. engines are covered for 5 years somrthing they dont tell you. mine started burning oil suddenly after the 30k service they monitored it for a while going in next week to be stripped and checked

should be no problem if fsh and toyota have a hush hush 5 yrs and 100k warranty

oil consumption is a known fault :yes::yes::yes:

should be no problem if fsh and toyota have a hush hush 5 yrs and 100k warranty

oil consumption is a known fault :yes::yes::yes:

ok, thanks for the help guys. she's due for her 3rd service soon anyway so i'll ask the monkeys at toyota then.

Thanks

Received bad news today re Avensis Estate 2000 reg - to action re oil loss and potential replacement engine due to age and mileage of car (5 yrs old mid Sept and with 70,000 miles!!!!)

Been taking car in for 1000 mile checks since bringing to their attention the oil loss in May. Not meeting their criteria but car was taken to cornwall and back in late AUgust (with their knowledge and instruction on replacing the oil), and with photo proof of dip stick and mileage we talked to service mamanger who agreed no hesitation in approaching Toyota now for engine replacement. He couldn't guarantee but felt no debate that car showed excessive loss of oil.

No word until chasing up yesterday - service manager has moved branches (typical!) - so was told foreman would phone back as told not worth speaking to new service manager as he wouldn't know anything about it. no phone call so I phoned again to speak to the same man at the desk who calmy and unsympathetically told me they had heard last night and due to age and mileage of the car the request was being refused.

Have now spoken to service manager and he will follow-up (man at desk couldn't give me any other info and said I could phone toyota and instigate a new claim.) and get back to me.

I am so angry - our extende3d warranty ran out in September after reporting oil loss on the longer journey. This has been my worry all along. OK 70,000 is slightly more than average mileage but not by much.

Aren't toyotas meant to go on for at least double that in miles!!!!

So, no luck at this end. So much for loyalty rewarded with good service. By gthe way the engine DID use almost all it's oil in the 650 mile trip and within anoither 70 miles was on the minimum mark.Likewise the return trip.

sara

To be fair that does sound a bit pants to me and pretty poor service from the dealer.

Please don't take this as gospel (plus I don't know how it applies to extended warranties) however I think there's something regarding ongoing issues.

It's something along the lines of if you make a complaint inside the warranty period and the garage attempts to fix it a number of times but it continues outside of the warranty period then they are obliged to keep working on it until the problem is resolved. The dealer should have a log of all the work they've done on your car/enquires made so ask for that as a starting point.

As I say I don't know the full ins and outs of it so it might be worth enquiring with Trading standards or CAB.

Also one reason why they might be being so useless is it's an extended warranty case.

If you have a problem inside Manufacturers warranty period then the garage automatically claims direct from the manufacturer. Nice and simple for the garage and generally a nice little earner for them (why pay your mechanics for sitting around drinking tea when you can get the manufacturer to pay). However with extended warranties it's more like an insurance claim therefore much more conveluted to get the work approved, carried out and then the money recovered to the dealer. Much less profitable and therefore not as sweet for the dealer

To be fair that does sound a bit pants to me and pretty poor service from the dealer.

Please don't take this as gospel (plus I don't know how it applies to extended warranties) however I think there's something regarding ongoing issues.

It's something along the lines of if you make a complaint inside the warranty period and the garage attempts to fix it a number of times but it continues outside of the warranty period then they are obliged to keep working on it until the problem is resolved. The dealer should have a log of all the work they've done on your car/enquires made so ask for that as a starting point.

As I say I don't know the full ins and outs of it so it might be worth enquiring with Trading standards or CAB.

Also one reason why they might be being so useless is it's an extended warranty case.

If you have a problem inside Manufacturers warranty period then the garage automatically claims direct from the manufacturer. Nice and simple for the garage and generally a nice little earner for them (why pay your mechanics for sitting around drinking tea when you can get the manufacturer to pay). However with extended warranties it's more like an insurance claim therefore much more conveluted to get the work approved, carried out and then the money recovered to the dealer. Much less profitable and therefore not as sweet for the dealer

also if the fault is classed as amanufacturing fault or design fault they will not pay i had a problem with a merc and a used car warranty i won in the end but small claims court helped

i presume the warranty company did not want the bad publicity :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

I bought a 2000 vvti 1.4 corolla last year with 37,000 miles on the clock (currently at 43,000)..

After about 3 months driving I noticed that the car was using excessive engine oil, I went to a local Toyota dealer with this and they said that it was a known issue but because it was out of waranty that I wasn't covered...

Last week I was talking to a Toyota mechanic and he asked me:

a: Did I buy the car from a Dealer not privately?

b: Did I have the car less that a year?

My answer was yes to both, He said that In this case I was covered and that under these circumstances

Toyota were forced to stand over the car, although this is not widely known (surprise surprise) He told

me to contact Toyota Ireland and state my case forcefully and not take any of their spiel..

After half an hours argument with Toyota Ireland (and the threat of me taking them court) they eventually told me that I need to get an oil consumption test done and then see what happens, so I'm getting this done on Monday!

Not %100 percent sure what the outcome of this will be but watch this space!!!

hi mate

my corolla is a2002 and that had the same problem, when they monitor the oil they do it for 1000 miles and see how much is consumed. when they checked mine they changed the short engine. my car was out of warranty aswell but had afull service history. mine had done 36k when it started consuming excessive oil. i can't see them not replacing the short engine for you

anyway good luck and keep us updated with what the outcome is

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sorry it's a corolla sr, my bad! Bought it anyway, hopefully it wont burn any oil. :huh:

Was hoping the sr would behave like my last car a 1.4 vvti corolla and not burn a drop of oil. But the sr has burnt over 2L of oil in the last 4k, sickened, not covered by warrenty so will just have to keep topping it up! :ffs:

Interesting topic this one - does anyone know if there were specific batches of engines that were a bit duff (like certain months of certain years), or is it all the VVTi engines which are have a weakness of the cylinder bores and/or heads?

I've got a 1.4 2001 Corolla, which doesn't seem to burn much oil except a little when its near servicing time, which I've had on other cars too. It's only done about 40k though, so I'm wondering whether the mileage is more important than the age - I mean, I drive it all most every day, but just not vast distances at high speeds. Does the oil consumption problem typically occur above a certain mileage? I'm guessing the bore issue is mileage related, but the head weakness isn't, but thats inconclusive unless the bore/block issue is restricted to certain batches of engines/cars :)

Oh would be interesting to hear more on the petrol sulphur debate - anyone got any news from their Shell contacts? ;)

Interesting topic this one - does anyone know if there were specific batches of engines that were a bit duff (like certain months of certain years), or is it all the VVTi engines which are have a weakness of the cylinder bores and/or heads?

I've got a 1.4 2001 Corolla, which doesn't seem to burn much oil except a little when its near servicing time, which I've had on other cars too. It's only done about 40k though, so I'm wondering whether the mileage is more important than the age - I mean, I drive it all most every day, but just not vast distances at high speeds. Does the oil consumption problem typically occur above a certain mileage? I'm guessing the bore issue is mileage related, but the head weakness isn't, but thats inconclusive unless the bore/block issue is restricted to certain batches of engines/cars :)

Oh would be interesting to hear more on the petrol sulphur debate - anyone got any news from their Shell contacts? ;)

my toyota dealer said it was a certain batch of engines upto early 2002. i don't why they don't recall them cos they know which ones. im sure i readpost on here somewhere that they have a list of all the bad batch :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links