Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help Needed With Automatic Transmisson

the_monkey_boy

hey people

im the newbie here i was wondering in this site for a while since i got my celica 1991 jap import GT-R automatic, problem is having never really driven a automatic im finding it difficult to make the most out of celicas automatic box :blink: i just put it in to the D and drive it around

i know i can put into the D and it will drive and i can put in to the R and it will revers and i can put in to the L and it will still drive and i can put in to the 2 AND IT WILL ALSO DRIVE! but why 3 settings to do the same job? :wacko:

as this is a jap import they dont have manual so i thought i'd ask the experts.

so this is what i know so far

P= when u park the car

N = Neutral

D = drive

L = drive

2 = drive

R = reverse

i learned these bits from this site

manu and power up = economy mode

manu up power down = powerfull driving and steep hills

manu down and power up = gearbox locked in 2nd gear for winter driving.also for moving the gearstick manually.

and what dose it do when u have the manu and power both pushed down?

and there is a red button with some japanese letters which my brother thought was a to eject the driver in a accident :lol: and what dose that one really do ?

thanks guys

Hi mate, firsly welcome to TOC. :D

The L means Low gear

The 2 is 2nd gear

So if you select either of these the gearbox will stay in either of the geard you select, ie towing and stuff.

The red button next to the gear stick when pressed allows you to move the gearstick out of park when you dont have the ignition on.

Also you should find an overdrive button on the gearstick, if you press this in, it will drop the car into 3rd and if you floor it, it will go like a rocket, but the car will stay in 3rd untill you press the button to allow 4th gear to engage again, Ideal for overtaking etc.

Hope this helps.

Gedrick

thankx man that dose helps a lot especialy the thing about the overdrive button thankx againx for the great help :D

Bet you wish it was an ejector button mate. Now that would be really cool. Wish i had one of those in mine

Anyone know where i can get one fitted

:D

You could try those guys that do MTV's Pimp My Ride, West Coast Customs I think they're called, watching the programm, they do everything else!!!!!!! :D :drool:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links