Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dab

vmail

What DAB all about? Will normal radio disappear like normal TV will do in 7 years?

Whats is the coverage like?

Will I still get a signal over the Pennines?

Is it UK Only?

Are there any radio stations without adverts like Winamp radio?

What the quality like? (Poor)Tape, MP3, Radio or CD(Good)?

Is it stereo or can you get 5.1?

TOC search for DAB was useless

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

One or all of your search keywords were below 4 characters or you are searched for words which are not allowed, such as 'html', 'img', etc, please go back and increase the length of these search keywords or choose different keywords.

Finally could you suggest some model, nothing like JVC or Sony

DAB Radio has normal radio stations on it. but they are all transmitted in CD quality sound. not sure about all radio stations being switched off like TV. as there are alot of private radio stations and they all transmit on there own antenna unlike TV which is transmitted on regional transmitters.

for coverage check this website out we use it in work http://www.ukdigitalradio.com/coverage/search/default.asp just wack your post code in

and as for other countries i think there are some radio stations over there in digital but not many. and there are only select stations in the UK which transmit in DAB but there are more being added all the time.

you also dont need to tune them in as you just select the radio staton from a menu on screen on the radio. and it goes right to it.

there are a good few radios on the market today ranging from portable ones to full hi-fi systems to i suggest u go down to you local Currys (PLUG :P ) and have a look

hope this helps

I was on about DAB for the car, The current Headunit is DAB ready but the module cost £500.00, even after the 50% discount its still too expensive. And I will need to drill in the new DAB aerial

I was on about DAB for the car, The current Headunit is DAB ready but the module cost £500.00, even after the 50% discount its still too expensive. And I will need to drill in the new DAB aerial

aaaahhhhhhhhhhh why didnt u say so :P

Yep, search only works for terms that have four our more letters. Try a search for Digital Audio perhaps?

What DAB all about? Will normal radio disappear like normal TV will do in 7 years?

I think DAB's great - I have a 'bug' in the office, and had DAB in my Celica. I intend to put one in the MR2 soon.

Last one was an external unit connected to a Pioneer head unit, but these days you can get head units with DAB built in. And they're not that expensive either. My first setup was in the early days of DAB and the DAB unit alone cost £500.

But I listen to Radio 5 and 6 sometimes and they aren't on FM so that's the key reason for me. Don't think the quality is better than FM really.

No I don't think that FM will die out. FM didn't kill AM.

Whats is the coverage like?

Couple of years since I had one in the car, but don't think it's changed that much. If that's the case it's good, but not great.

Will I still get a signal over the Pennines?

Major cities and trunk roads are covered, but no I don't think you'll find it'll work so well in the pennines.

Is it UK Only?

No. Works across Europe, but you won't pick up the UK stations outside of the UK.

Are there any radio stations without adverts like Winamp radio?

BBC?

What the quality like? (Poor)Tape, MP3, Radio or CD(Good)?

Supposed to be better than CD quality. And the Bug, IMHO is. But in a car you're moving and the problem is that signal stays good to a point, but when it breaks up it's terrible. If you're staying in good reception areas then fine, but outside of them it's pants. Audiophiles say that the best FM is better than CD, and for most purposes FM and DAB are both fine.

Is it stereo or can you get 5.1?

Stereo, but does that matter for Audio? 5.1 is good for games and video, but don't believe it matters for radio content.

Here's the linky for the Bug site. There are links there to other sites for example sites with reviews and coverage maps.

The Bug

[EDIT]While I was writing all that the replies above appeared, so sorry that I've repeated some of what they said (probably with more words :D) .[/EDIT]

PS - Auto Express this week (7th to 13th September) have brief reviews of some DAB kit.

I'd been looking at the Blaupunkt Woodstock which has lots of features, but their best buy is the JVC KD-DB711 which they say costs £199.

Woodstock lists at £269, but you can get it for a little over £200 if you shop around. I like the fact that it can record and you can use memory cards which is cool because I use the timer on 'The Bug' to record programs. But I know a lot of people don't like Blaupunkt.

If you want to go up market you can add an external unit (e.g. a Revo). Alpine for example are working with Revo to facilitate this, though you can connect the Revo to other makes via FM.

aaaahhhhhhhhhhh why didnt u say so :P

You could see if the Revo will work with your head unit. It's a seperate controller though and you have to find somewhere to fit it, and I don't know if it's a security problem. Cost of that's about £200. I didn't think that FM transmitters were legal though but there's no mention of that in Autoexpress.

Re the antenna - that is a pain. I had to buy a Bosch bee sting for the first car I put it in; that combines FM and DAB antaenna in one unit, but then that wouldn't fit on the Celica so the garage bodged it. You can get windscreen antennas these days, but not sure how well they work; I'm told they're good, but I find it hard to believe. I'll let you know when I get round to fitting one in the 2 though, cos that's about my only option on that car.

We have a DAB radio in our Chillout room at work and it's really good, gets loads more stations than normal and none of that annoying crackly interference which creeps in if the aerial isnt positioned correctly/you are out of the stations broadcasting range.

I've noticed that stereo's for house use are selling for around £50 now which is a lot less than what they were when they came out so it may be that the DAB radio's for cars have/will increase too.

I think like most things, DAB is the future of radio, bit like HD is the future of TV, but right now, it costs too much.

One the price starts going down, more people will buy them!

Can you get all FM/AM national and local stations on them? If I did, I'd have to have Leicester Sound to listen to! :lol:

The bf bought me a DAB radio last Christmas, and when I heard it, I was surprised at the clarity and amount off channels that are available.......its the way forward, the sound is sooooooo crisp and channel hopping is soooooo quick and easy, now I have my own at my place so I needed to go and buy one for his place..... just because I was used to near perfection with DAB :thumbsup: and no more crackling. :)

Next thing on the (I WOULD LIKE) list is to have DAB in KITT :thumbsup:

u have a CHILL OUT ROOM???? :wacko:

They used to be so unruly at work that Supernanny was called in ! :P

..........that'll learn 'em !

:lol::lol:

Well it is insurance, maybe they need a bit of a rant and go to "the room" to chill after a bad customer! Its a good idea!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links