Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

I Was Going To Buy A Celica But....

Undecided

Some funny comments here, thats for sure.

From personal experience: One of my mates had a Calibra. Full leather, all the toys. What was it like? Compared to my Celica, it was crap. Noisy, squeaky, underpowered, poor build quality, etc. Basically no real comparison to my Celica. He has since got rid of it. Enough said

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bibbs

• Special Red

• Undecided

• adamgt

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly Calibra parts are actually easy to find, and readily available. Then, looking at the insurance side of things, even at group 18 the turbo is still affordable because it is a GM car. Why should I struggle to get insured on a Japanese car?

Calibra group 18 :huh: Well a jap import GT4 is group 17. :P

When 21 i had no problems gettin cheap insurance for my jap import GT4!

Only way you would "struggle to get insured on a Japanese car" is if you have crashed a few of your previous Nova's and live in chavland.

Calibras are piiiissshhheee sorry but its a cavalier thats been shaped a bit better , my dad had a lend of a 4x4 Turbo (i'm sure) navy thing , went well i guess ! but i think the major problem the calibra has is the owner - 95% of calibra owners f**k them up ( see luminous green and yellow pics on previous page)

Hi, I just thought I jump into this “debate”, I would have jumped in sooner but I was on the floor crying with laughter.

Seriously though I think I should point out a few flaws/Objections/Disagreements and my own opinions on what you posted up Undecided,

1. You said Calibra Parts are easy to find & readily available, are you trying to imply that parts for a celica of a similar age are hard to find and not readily available?? I certainly have not had any trouble finding parts for mine. Toyota parts my be more expensive, but at the end of the day, you have to pay for quality. But then again Vauxhall would have to make sure they have plenty of spare parts! :o

2. You described the Calibra as “More Sleeky than the Celica”, Are you Blind man!!, Maybe the older Gen 4’s (That is in no way a insult to the ST162 and ST165 crowd, I love all celicas, any age) But not the Gen5’s and certainly not the Gen 6’s. I am certainly not trying to insult your car, in fact it is one of the best ones I’ve seen (usally falling apart), Externally anyway, internally I will cover below.

3. You said the interior of the celica was disappointing compared to the calibra, to be truly honest mate, it looks like a padded room in a insane asylum, I’m sorry mate, I truly am for having to tell you this, but it’s awful. :eek:

Now, SyCelicaGT’s Leather Looks very nice :thumbsup: , I’m personally not a fan of leather interiors to be honest, but whatever floats your boat.

4. The 6 Speed Gear Box, I’m sorry to say, that’s one to many. Again only my humble opinion.

5. You are trying to compare a R32 skyline with a calibra!!!!, was it a GT-S or GT-R?, it’s doesn’t really matter to be honest, how in all that is holy, can you compare both cars together!!!!!!!, I know that this is a Toyota owners club, and I love Toyota, but the ultimate car is and will always be a Skyline, no question. I know it’s a rival manufacturer but you still have to admire and respect a car like a Skyline.

Trying to compare a calibra and Skyline, LMAO.

At the end of the day your obviously pleased with your car, and I can respect that, but what I don’t agree with or like is when people post topics on forums which they have no business posting on (since they don’t own or want one) and slating that particular car, you own a Calibra, why don’t you try this novel idea and post on a Calibra forum, and leave us Celica Owners to wollow in our own self pity because we now know we own a sub-standard car.

Tony

I think this is getting a bit personal now.

I was basing my details on info I had (Parkers.co.uk) and experience from myself and friends.

I don't think we should be questioning peoples taste. Especially when I've seen some abominations of Celicas that have been on here. I'm sure those Calibra's posted get the same slating on the Calibra forums (if not, why not?)!

I've not got issues with what's been posted by our Calibra owning member on here, he's based his opinions on owning the car, and what he's heard about Celicas. I may not agree, but

PLEASE do not start calling people chav's or throwing insults because people have differing opinions. Or I'll just lock the thread.

Undecided, is there a matching thread on a Calibra forum? (PM me if you don't want 100's of ranting Celica owners logging in :D)

Each to there own i say, i contemplated a calibra once but after a quick drive i decided i didn't like the driving position and a few other things about it.

Very capable cars but i think i'd rather have a gt4 or a Corrado vr6 (2.9 Bibbs but still under 200bhp?!?!)

Both very reliable cars and much less rust prone than the early calibra...

2.9 (was that SC'ed?) and under 200bhp, that's shocking .. I've only a little 2.0 and over 200bhp ..

Ahh, a 1.8 SC 158/166 (BHP/Torque)

or 2.8 V6 178/177 (BHP/Torque)

Supercharged ohc I4 1.8 / 158 166 5-speed manual: 20/28

ohc V6 2.8 / 178 177 5-speed manual: 18/24

That's still poor.

I think this is getting a bit personal now.

I was basing my details on info I had (Parkers.co.uk) and experience from myself and friends.

I don't think we should be questioning peoples taste. Especially when I've seen some abominations of Celicas that have been on here. I'm sure those Calibra's posted get the same slating on the Calibra forums (if not, why not?)!

I've not got issues with what's been posted by our Calibra owning member on here, he's based his opinions on owning the car, and what he's heard about Celicas. I may not agree, but

PLEASE do not start calling people chav's or throwing insults because people have differing opinions. Or I'll just lock the thread.

Undecided, is there a matching thread on a Calibra forum? (PM me if you don't want 100's of ranting Celica owners logging in :D)

I assume that this is in responce to my post, or at least my post was part of the reason.

Just to clarify, i did not call the guy a chav, and the only thing remotly insulting i said about his car was the about the interior.

But i admit, i proberbly went over the top a little, for which i humbly appologise.

tony

Wasn't aimed any anyone specific .. could just see where it was headed.

*BURN THE HERITIC, BURN THE UNBELIEVER* ..

The Calibra is crap, its badly built - rusts like crazy and the gearbox is crap.

The later Calibra's are solid. The Shell is galvanised, and they do not rust. And why is the gearbox "crap"? Do you actually know anything about them? It's a very tough 6-speed box.

Erm yes, i WAS a calibra fan when i was only 18ish, but i didnt know anything about cars then ;)

The later calibra's are solid? WHY ARENT THEY ALL SOLID!? its because vauxhall are a bunch of idiots who dont know how to build cars.

Look at all the best vauxhalls - Lotus Carlton (Lotus), VX220 (Lotus) & the Monaro (Holden). Vauxhall just cant make anything any good themselves.

And im sorry the gearboxes ARE crap. Read ANY review on the net and there are warning left right and centre about the weak boxes and transmission.

Look why dont you go and play somewhere else son, this is a big boys forum. Wouldnt want you to make yourself look stupid now would we......oh dear too late ;)

Look why dont you go and play somewhere else son, this is a big boys forum. Wouldnt want you to make yourselve look stupid now would we......oh dear too late ;)

Why did it have to decend to that level? It *was* staying fairly civalised.

Bibbs your car was developed about 10 years later! Hardly fair but bet you would get whooped by that VR6 Kompressor!

VR6 Performance.

So a quater mile in 15.1 (S2000 - 14.0), 0-60 in 6.3-6.7 (S2000 5.5), top end 143-146mph (S2000 156+). Both sets of stats are from Autocar (who actually get the cars and test them).

So no, it's not the same performance. it's 2.8 litre V6 being beaten by a pathetic 2.0 4 banger.

And it's FWD (not RWD), it's MacPherson struts (not double wishbones), 64/36% F/R distribution (not 50/50) and weighs in about the same. So it's well and truely beaten by a "hairdressers" car.

But so what.

I'd have just thought a 2.8 V6 should be putting out a bit more poke. Hell, my old alfa (J reg) was a 220bhp beast, and that was a 3.0 V6 and that engine was so old in design, that Noah had one in his van to collect the animals for the ark.

Look why dont you go and play somewhere else son, this is a big boys forum. Wouldnt want you to make yourselve look stupid now would we......oh dear too late ;)

Why did it have to decend to that level? It *was* staying fairly civalised.

Apologies dude but he obviously came on here to troll, and you know the score - if you troll you can expect a flaming.

By all means, if you think i have stepped over the line then just say so and i'll edit my posts to be more polite - or you are welcome to change them for me.

I just hate people talking to me as if i dont know what im on about.

Nah, have a look at my first post and then his reply ;)

2.9 (was that SC'ed?) and under 200bhp, that's shocking .. I've only a little 2.0 and over 200bhp ..

Ahh, a 1.8 SC 158/166 (BHP/Torque)

or 2.8 V6 178/177 (BHP/Torque)

Supercharged ohc I4 1.8 / 158 166 5-speed manual: 20/28

ohc V6 2.8 / 178 177 5-speed manual: 18/24

That's still poor.

My flat mate had a VR6 golf, very simaler performance to the GT Celica but off the lights he had me :ffs: as there is torque right down low in the rev range with that engine. But once I was above 3K revs it was neck & neck :) (on private roads though, clearly!)

Never lost to a N/A Calibra though! :thumbsup:

As regards the "chavving up" of cars (ie Lexus lights, neons etc...) I am totally against it. To be honest a lot of people on the Calibra forum are into that kind of tacky stuff (home made LED afterburners etc...).

I much prefer subtle styling, not the Max Power chavvy style modifications. Sadly, the Calibra does seem to by dying a very undignified death in this respect. Time for me to go Jap maybe? :help:

the Mk2 MR2 is going the same ..

As soon as a car drops to the £3,000 barrier, the lower it goes, the more barry it becomes.

Interesting thread. :yes: But i`d like to add my two penn`orth. I used to be mad keen on GM cars when i was in my 20`s. I owned a Manta A and 2 Manta B`s And my crowning glory a Manta C Exclusive. which the more (ahem) mature members will remember were built around the floorpan and running gear of the RWD Ascona/Cavalier. They were good cars for what they were. The engines pointed the right way and the driven wheels were at the back where they`re supposed to be. So Jump through time 20 years. Not that long ago i had the opportunity to drive two calibras. The first was a 2.0i and the second was the V6 one with leather and all the toys. Frankly i was sorely dissapointed in both of them. The performance was ok, no real complaints there. But the general feel of the cars was one of lacklustre handling and somewhat vague steering. The suspension i think was provided by dunlopillo which did nothing to inspire confidence in the cars. And i thought the interiors were more suited to the soft American market rather than the sporting European market that the car is obviously aimed at. Sorry GM it`s a MISS.

Good point bought up by undecided about the unhappy customisation of some calibras. It`s not just GM`s finest thats being treated this way. Unfortunately a browse on eBay for example will unearth a plethora of once splendid, good looking cars that have fallen foul of the, for want of a better word 'chav' brigade. Including a good few Celicas and MR`s :ffs:

As far as chavving is concerned, quite a lot of Celica's are getting chavved now, as they can be purchased for a reasonable price. Its a shame, but there we go

For the size of engine the VR6 is, you'd expect alot more from it

but in actual fact it has the same power to weight ratio as a mk2 golf 16v and its only a 1.8!!

I've owned a corrado although it was only a 16v and i bought instead of the the calibra.

And even though the calibra i drove was a turbo, there was no competion really.

calibra was much quicker but the raddo was just so much more secure feeling and felt more like a sports car.

I'm not agaist Vauxhall's (I've had 2 astra GTE's and a GSi!!) but i just don't like the Calibra

I've never driven a celica apart from the current shape so i can't really give an opinion on it but if it was just about looks, i'd have the celica all day long

Just to clarify also, ithe VR6 is a 2.8 in the golf and 2.9 in the raddo but there's only about 6bhp of a difference i think and it still doesn't make 200bhp :wacko:

I have only been away for a short while and I come back to this :crybaby:

Celica's are the way forward. :thumbsup:

Although I do like the shape of the Calibra :shutit:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links