Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

I Was Going To Buy A Celica But....

Undecided

So, you think the Calibra is a bad car do you?

Firstly Calibra parts are actually easy to find, and readily available. Then, looking at the insurance side of things, even at group 18 the turbo is still affordable because it is a GM car. Why should I struggle to get insured on a Japanese car?

The Calibra also has an excellent getrag F28 6-speed box, which gives it a real-world top speed of 160mph from the factory. This is also helped by the aerodynamics, which are also better than the Celica. Why didn't Toyota put a bit more effort in?

Looking into it further I was also dissapointed to learn that the Celica doesn't come with such a nice interior as the Calibra. You can get black or cream full leather in the Vauxhall, but not in the Toyota. And why would you want some old tatty cloth interior? The detail in the Calibra is also stunning.

As for the looks, well... I think you'll find the Calibra has gone down as the most popular coupe of the 1990's. It had more engine and drivetrain options than the Celica and is also much sleeker. And if you are talking about exclusivity... try the Calibra Turbo LE (of which only approx 50 were made, all with Irmscher factory mods).

So I looked up what people had to say on here...

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...opic=49693&st=0

The Calibra is crap, its badly built - rusts like crazy and the gearbox is crap.

The later Calibra's are solid. The Shell is galvanised, and they do not rust. And why is the gearbox "crap"? Do you actually know anything about them? It's a very tough 6-speed box.

but the Caibra does have a great CD - 0.26 IIRC...

Well, at least somebody knows a bit about the car. Don't get me wrong - Vauxhall did churn out some right crap, (Nova!) but the Calibra had a lot of thought go into the design.

I'd heard that the Calibra isn't a "proper" 4wd system either .. it's only fwd until it loses traction (or something) .. Kinda like a *REALLY* rubbish R32 Skyline then ..

Actually you should read up on this before you open your mouth :D The owner of the UK's quickest Calibra Turbo recently bought an R32, and says they are nowhere near as grippy!

But there was a "DTM" version (which I'm sure we'll hear about soon) that had 240bhp ..
No there wasn't. That is total nonsense. Wrong again I'm afraid.

Even the successor to the Calibra, the Astra Coupe Turbo has won every single road test against the Celica :thumbsup:

And finally... I'll put my money where my mouth is. I'd happily demonstrate what my car can do against somebody on this club with a similar power figure. (350bhp)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bibbs

• Special Red

• Undecided

• adamgt

Top Posters In This Topic

So you've come on here to troll huh? Nice :huh: Just *try* and keep it friendly .. us mods don't wanna start tyding up a forum posting war :D

About the G'box issues Parkers

Engine/Gearbox: Gear selector problems; oil leaks; rattly camshaft; smoky Turbo engine; sticky valves.

The Model Range ..

Parkers

Engines/Trims Year CC/Cyl BHP MPH 0-60 MPG IG Get Report

2.0i 16V Turbo 4x4 DTM 3d (LT) 95 1998 240 n/a n/a n/a 18

So that'll be the 240bhp "DTM" one then, where the rest of the range is *just* over 200bhp (with one other being 240bhp) ..

About the 4x4 system, I heard that from a Calibra owner .. when I suggested that the car was a capable 4x4 system, he then went on to show me how it wasn't. He then sold up and went Japanese.

At the end of the day, it's a Vauxhall. There are three good Vauxhalls, Two made by Lotus (Carlton, VX220) and the other by Holden (Monraro). But that's my opinion. I have a strong dislike for the majority of the European mass produced cars.

Even the successor to the Calibra, the Astra Coupe Turbo has won every single road test against the Celica

So you are comparing an older model with a brand spanking new one .. We all know the Gen7 Celica is rubbish :) The Astra is very capable, just let down by it's FWD and it's Badge.

I had a play with a few 4x4's over the years, and only one got close to my MR2 .. but that's a different ball game. And I never stopped to ask what mods they had done, as I didn't wanna pull over and wait for them ;).

We all like different things and want differnt things from our cars. You are posting in a celica thread and people will always defend their choice.

If you want to put your money down, that's fine. Nurburgring - Easter weekend. I'll be the one making a lot of noise in my new hairdressers car ;)

At the end of the day, it's a Vauxhall.

That says it all really :lol:

Also Leather was an option on the Celica - so if you really looked into it then you would have found that out :thumbsup:

I would much rather have my celica (which is the slowest celica there is) than the fastest Calibra :yes:

Good luck with your Calibra :rolleyes:

Bibbs I've not come on here to troll. I like the Celica. There is no need to slate the Calibra though... as they are very similar cars for very similar markets. IMO the Celica, Corrado and Calibra are all cars that will never be repeated in today's crash-test regulations etc...

Can we not unite through our shared hatred of Saxos?

PS - There is no 240bhp DTM. Ask on any Vauxhall forum, or ask Vauxhall themselves.

Bibbs I've not come on here to troll. I like the Celica. There is no need to slate the Calibra though... as they are very similar cars for very similar markets. IMO the Celica, Corrado and Calibra are all cars that will never be repeated in today's crash-test regulations etc...

Can we not unite through our shared hatred of Saxos?

PS - There is no 240bhp DTM. Ask on any Vauxhall forum, or ask Vauxhall themselves.

No problem .. it's just we get the occasional Scumbaru, Sh*tubishi or 'liner freak come on and start mouthing off and all hell kicks off :)

I'm not really a fan of anything Vauxhall (Opel), Ford, French, Fiat, BMW ..

But I like Alfas, Audis and I like (being an Aussie) the Monaro, the XR6 and XR8.

The Calibra I just see as a Cav (sorry). The Corrado is woefully underpowered (2.6 SC'ed or something?), but has a good look about it. And the ST/GT Celica's aren't all that in my eyes. It's only the rally bred GT4 that does it for me personally, but that'll be having the same engine in my MR2 and too much drunk Sega Rally on my Saturn when at Uni.

And I just got the DTM from Parkers, could have been a trim option .. I've not really looked into it TBH. :)

The only special edition Calibra 4x4 Turbo was the LE, which was a jet black model on a 1997 year, with cream leather, Irmscher kit, lowered suspension, BBS alloys and a few other tweaks. Standard power output.

The DTM Turbo was a normal output. The DTM mentioned above is a 2.5 V6 N/A.

and yeah, these cars are dead I'm afraid .. it'll just be "hot" versions of normal cars.

Civic Type R

Corolla T Sport

Astra VXR

Focus ST

Shame, I don't wanna have any of those on the drive.

The DTM Turbo was a normal output. The DTM mentioned above is a 2.5 V6 N/A.

From Parkers

Special editions: 2.0i 8v ‘SE’ (Oct 92): blue metallic; 2.0i 16v ‘SE2’ (Oct 93): yellow; 2.0i 8v ‘SE3’ (May 94): ‘Rioja’ metallic; 2.0i 8v ‘SE4’ (Dec 94): blue pearlescent; 2.0i 16v ‘DTM’ (May 95): white; 2.5 V6 ‘DTM’ (May 95); 2.0 Turbo 4x4 ‘DTM’ (May 95): as 2.5 V6 plus leather seats; 2.0i 8v ‘SE5’ (Oct 95): black; 2.0i 8v ‘SE6’ (May 96): blue metallic; 2.0 Turbo 4x4 ‘Special’ (Sep 96): white; 2.0i 16v ‘SE7’ (Oct 96): grey metallic; 2.0i 16v ‘SE8’ (Apr 97): blue metallic; 2.5 V6 ‘SE9’ (Aug 97): Flame Red.

Probably just a trim level. :yes:

How is this a bad car?

Practical rear seats, and full cream leather...

100_0466web.jpg

Excellent drag coefficient, and the most popular coupe styling of the 1990's

cally19_3.jpg

Smooth Euro looks when modified :thumbsup:

Picture001.jpg

When compared to

2004-14holton-celica.jpg

It's a different car entirely :)

But then I'm more of a fan of this

pic3a.JPG

I'm sure some people will like the Calibra, but you are on a Toyota Owners Club site - what do you expect us to say we're going to be biased.

I'm sure if times were hard and the only choice I had was a Calibra then sure I'd drive one, but as I have a choice I would choose not to. But congratulations you are the first person that I have met (well sort of met) that has liked the look of the Calibras ;)

Undecided - I know who you are and where you have come from so go and look where CHIP, YES CHIP basically explains why the 4x4 system is a useless comparison and generally why the celica is a better car! However I dont think there is anything wrong with a Cally but would have a GT4 over a turbo all day long!

As said Vauxhall part are cheap but the difference between the two Manufacturers is that Toyota's rarely go wrong, where as Vauxhalls do! The XE is a strong engine but unfortunatley the car has other parts that are not i.e Transfere Box. Most people who drive Celicas wouldnt know how much parts cost as they probably rarely replace them, I should know my GTE is never on the road!

That calibra(Black) is standard apart from the wheels! Euro styling my @r$e - As said on MIGweb last month!

Fact DTM's are not standard at 240bhp they are 36bhp more than a standard version!

The calibra can only put a small percentage of power to the rear wheels and so cannot be compared to an R32 at all as that actually has a proper 4x4 system. Also your mate, i.e 1 person is what your going to base your argument on! Don't be a idiot!

You can get Leather for a Celica, you tool!

You are actually incredibly biased and blinkered and some comments you made show this. I own An LET Phase 3 GTE mate and have owned numourous Cally T's but yet I dont get offended as I know Bias will be on any Owners club! If you want advise or opinions then fine ask away! By the way that Blue Cally is sexy! See if I can do it so can you!

I do honestly belive the calibra is an OK car but I just personally dislike the image & reliability issues, which put me off ever wanting a calibra from about day one of ever seeing it. As for an Astra turbo, are you !Removed! joking! I can think of better boring cars to waste my money on, hair dressers car to the extreme! And everyone but a Calibra driver will tell you they look kinda boring as a coupe car, kinda like a stretched Chavaler!

Celica is clearly the better made car as Toyota quality control far exceeds Opel's. and if my car is anything to go buy as a rule of thumb I have had no major problems with the car in two years and the guy before me owned it for 3 years with zero problems or rust. Name me a Calibra driver who has had 5 years completley trouble free motoring.

I am not disputing your point about the later Calibra's being better built cars but that means that most of the early ones are a moving rust bucket, meaning that at least half of them are going to develop holes! With the celica you can be safe in the knowledge that the car is a well built car with a super stable engine platform as designed form day one. I do admit I kinda like the 4x4 turbo calibra becasue it comands a bit of respect but the other models do not have any saving graces in my eyes.

In regards to the options avalible, leather was an option, check mine out as an example and there are many other options abvalible too which will tick all the calibra option boxes and more (optional water injection & anti lag in the WRC celica to name but two):

25f70aa3.jpg

Sorry but I don't think you could ever win this battle mate, your arguments are very flawed as there is very little evidance to back your claims up. We all know (including calibra drivers) that the calibra is not as well made as the celica.

I appriciate your car is probably a prime example of a Calibra (proabably one of the best I have seen), but the truth is that that the calibra is just not as well made. But each to there own mate! :thumbsup:

Special Red - please play nice, I don't mind debate, but personal insults are not what *this* forum is about ;)

Special Red - please play nice, I don't mind debate, but personal insults are not what *this* forum is about ;)

No it's meant to be about Celicas and it's been hijacked!!!!

Show me a personal insult other than idiot but when someone compares an R34 to a Calibra surely they deserve more than just 'Idiot'!!!! :yes::thumbsup::lol: ;)

Im playing nice I think.

I saw another comment that you've since edited .. (at least I think it was your post, can't remember now).

Cheers guys :)

Special Red there is no 240bhp DTM. There is no 240bhp C20LET and there is no 240bhp Calibra. Please check your facts before you post next time.

Undecided - can you let Parkers know? ;)

It's defo on their site.

as were talking about 90s coupes lets chuck the 200sx in one of the best ever CDs ever made and still to this day and excellent styling, best of all rwd, but dosnt have the reliability or build quality of a celica, wonder how many celicas there are on the road compared to calibras of same period, im willing to bet that far less celicas have taken a trip to the big scrapyard in the sky

personally i think calibras are crap, and so are cavaliers, oh ang on there the same rust ridden piles of crap.......

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links