Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Top Speed

T Sport 1978

Hey everyone,

think the Civic TR's have a tad more torque than a stock CTS cos of their 2 litre blocks and are a bit lighter, but thats what happens when u dont have air con, traction control and half the interior comforts.

But, that said, civics never could take the corners like a corolla :thumbsup: and in the wet they needn't even waste their time :D

All from personal experience! I love it when someone underestimates the CTS!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aygo vvti

• Zuban

• bert.tsport

• wilber

is ur car standard?

YEP - No mods done to it yet :thumbsup:

half the interior comforts
- LOL so true !!!!

Once the car over 6K RPM, the civic couldnt get away ! l think its because the CTS can put the all of the power on the road, unlike the Civic Type-R and the new ashtray l mean Astra ;)

l am looking at moding the car, just dont know where to start :)

is ur car standard?

YEP - No mods done to it yet :thumbsup:

half the interior comforts
- LOL so true !!!!

Once the car over 6K RPM, the civic couldnt get away ! l think its because the CTS can put the all of the power on the road, unlike the Civic Type-R and the new ashtray l mean Astra ;)

l am looking at moding the car, just dont know where to start :)

try doing that to the old astra mk2 and it will bite you! i have a stock 2lt 16v coscast engine in a daewoo and that runs 14.4sec 1/4mile standard how mant t sport in standard form does that time? guess none. and the civic type r is even faster than my car so keep dreaming :thumbsup: only could keep behind me the integra type R! \the civic no! :nono:

cobra.jpg

enginebay.jpg

runwhatyoubring.jpg

a daewoo, smokes a bit don't it, or is it the bonfire someones made under-it.(just joking ) like the rocker cover though not sure about the bonnet fit.the type r is faster but has same problem as you keeping traction on the road. in wet conditions the t-sport can grip better due to traction control and corner better due to it,s vehicle stability system.i think you might have stirred the hornets nest by saying a daewoo's faster than a t-sport though. i think a few may disagree.

a daewoo, smokes a bit don't it, or is it the bonfire someones made under-it.(just joking ) like the rocker cover though not sure about the bonnet fit.the type r is faster but has same problem as you keeping traction on the road. in wet conditions the t-sport can grip better due to traction control and corner better due to it,s vehicle stability system.i think you might have stirred the hornets nest by saying a daewoo's faster than a t-sport though. i think a few may disagree.

on the road when there is not much traction it could be possible that the t-sport is better but if you put them head to head at the 1/4mile where you can see the real potential of the cars the type R is really fast!. on the road its up to the driver too what can you keep up with ! i could keep up with most cars on the road even a celica gt4 (not on corners) but catch up on the straights again cos im a crazy driver but that doesnt mean that my car is faster! When i raced a celica gt4 at the 1/4mile the only better thing he had over me wes the start as he take 2 car lenghts but then its an equal run to the finish as he is still 2 car lenghts! but that i can cancel it easy on the road as i am a (crazy )racing driver and take part in the national hillclimb championship! Thats not the car tough!!!!! :thumbsup:

i know some might disagree mate but the numbers are facts and you canrt twist that do you! they have to prove me wrong ;)

the only one capable of putting the typeR behind is the one with the compressor but no standard T sport can!

agree with you the driver is the main winner or loser in any race the crazier or suicidle, the faster normally is the rule :thumbsup:

l know what your saying, but l have raced at least three if not four Civic Type-R's to 130 ish and have kept up/been virtually level (half a car lenght in it - if that)

Might be some insane driving on my part - B) Or the Civic wasnt giving all it could :crybaby:

Who knows, but l have noticed that my CTS does seem to be getting faster as it gets older :D

Dont know if anyone else has experenced this ?

l know what your saying, but l have raced at least three if not four Civic Type-R's to 130 ish and have kept up/been virtually level (half a car lenght in it - if that)

Might be some insane driving on my part - B) Or the Civic wasnt giving all it could :crybaby:

Who knows, but l have noticed that my CTS does seem to be getting faster as it gets older :D

Dont know if anyone else has experenced this ?

I dont like the honda boys cos they think they have gods car cos they have a honda and i really like to beat the s**t out of them but the type r is out of reach and it didnt seem a modded one as it looked pretty standard! you would have better luck with the S2000 as it is over rated so try having a go at them!

yes they seem to get faster by time not the toyota only any engine ,if its a good engine! My vauxhall engine had 100,000 miles on the clock when i imported it from the U.K. (so now should have done about 130,000 miles) and its really fast. and as the T.sport engine would be built to be more reliable than a normal engine it would be faster by time!

Daewoo... ?? :sick:

that must be the fastest Daewoo ever!!!! lovely car.... :help:

i wouldn't care what is the brand name of the car im driving as long as it come first when i race it!

could be the fastest and the best thing is that its standard with no vtec or vvti or turbo mate ;) and thanks

i wouldn't care what is the brand name of the car im driving as long as it come first when i race it!

could be the fastest and the best thing is that its standard with no vtec or vvti or turbo mate ;) and thanks

learn something new every day didn't know deawoo did a 2.0 car. like the idea blown away by a daewoo how many boy racers would live that down :lol: may even be a few suicides, keep up the good work :thumbsup:

learn something new every day didn't know deawoo did a 2.0 car. like the idea blown away by a daewoo how many boy racers would live that down :lol: may even be a few suicides, keep up the good work :thumbsup:

lol :P That will be the DAEWOO.....

lol :P That will be the DAEWOO.....

o god please no more cracks like that :sick:

its easy to drive a ctr fast, not easy to drive a cts fast.

sort the suspension to level the playing field then learn to drive.

but from the thread i got the idea that the t sport is an easy car to drive due to the traction control and the corner stability program :unsure:

but from the thread i got the idea that the t sport is an easy car to drive due to the traction control and the corner stability program :unsure:

i dunno where everyone gets that idea, the reason the car gets slated by the press is down to the rubbish stock suspension, it needs the traction control to stop the wheels from spinning at low speeds, as it simply cant get the power onto the road, its not because it has a lot of power to contain cause it doesnt. and it needs the stability control because the minute you get rough with it the suspension starts to unload in all the wrong directions and it just beeps at you.

cts needs a lot of work to make it really handle.

i dunno where everyone gets that idea

I can see both points of view, but obviously each is a bit of a simplification of the truth.

The stock CTS is designed for safety and comfort. You would have to drive very carelessly or be very unlucky on a very slippery road to lose control of the car. The suspension is soft, but this makes the handling and balance very predictable. If you do push too far, the electronics are very effective at getting you back into shape.

It is a brilliant car if you just want to get in and go somewhere quickly, whether it's sunny or raining, motorways or B-roads. Coupled with the reliability the CTS is just an excellent no-nonsense all-rounder.

The downside is that you don't get great on track performance.

If you want more raw speed, try the CTR. It has closer gear ratios which suit these high-revving engines better, stiffer chassis for better cornering and generally less electronic goodies to help saving weight.

However, I would not recommend the CTR as a flexible car like the CTS for thrashing whatever the conditions. It is quicker, but is prone to sudden oversteer with no electronic help to sort things out if the driver gets it wrong. It also suffers from poor front end grip with no traction control. You may find that the CTS is often quicker away from the lights in the hands of the average driver.

For all the extra comfort and safety of the CTS, you are giving up 0.5 sec 0-60 and, surprisingly maybe, about the same on the 1/4 mile. And it doesn't corner as well as the CTR, but that's it.

Paul.

i dunno where everyone gets that idea

I can see both points of view, but obviously each is a bit of a simplification of the truth.

The stock CTS is designed for safety and comfort. You would have to drive very carelessly or be very unlucky on a very slippery road to lose control of the car. The suspension is soft, but this makes the handling and balance very predictable. If you do push too far, the electronics are very effective at getting you back into shape.

It is a brilliant car if you just want to get in and go somewhere quickly, whether it's sunny or raining, motorways or B-roads. Coupled with the reliability the CTS is just an excellent no-nonsense all-rounder.

The downside is that you don't get great on track performance.

If you want more raw speed, try the CTR. It has closer gear ratios which suit these high-revving engines better, stiffer chassis for better cornering and generally less electronic goodies to help saving weight.

However, I would not recommend the CTR as a flexible car like the CTS for thrashing whatever the conditions. It is quicker, but is prone to sudden oversteer with no electronic help to sort things out if the driver gets it wrong. It also suffers from poor front end grip with no traction control. You may find that the CTS is often quicker away from the lights in the hands of the average driver.

For all the extra comfort and safety of the CTS, you are giving up 0.5 sec 0-60 and, surprisingly maybe, about the same on the 1/4 mile. And it doesn't corner as well as the CTR, but that's it.

Paul.

from the 14.8 1/4 mile time and 0-60 in 7.2 secs i see that your car has a good 2nd and 3rd gear! whats your 60 feet time? my best 60ft was 1.98secs 1/4 14.4 secs @ 94mph!

dont get me wrong guys i loved my cts (sold now) and i agree with your comments paul you have a balanced point of view! I have a preference for a car that handles well right on the limit, and will perform well on track and to me the stock cts is not great on the ragged edge. I guess though your right, to the average driver the cts is the safer easier choice, i forget my point of view is perhaps a little scewed by track use.

from the 14.8 1/4 mile time and 0-60 in 7.2 secs i see that your car has a good 2nd and 3rd gear! whats your 60 feet time? my best 60ft was 1.98secs 1/4 14.4 secs @ 94mph!

Blimey! In the Aygo?

I am going to have another pop at the 0.25 mile on Sunday at Brunters, and also try the CTS on the track. Should be fun :D

Paul.

my cts 140 no problem with 2 subs in the back but need a long track.

once again i see other people can hear the vsc beeping away and once again i have to say my cts dont beep all i get are vsc light flashing like christmas tree.

I dont think the stability control helps much with cornering, once the VSC starts beeping you are well out of shape (and therefore not going to be the fastest way round the corner), the VSC only cuts in to save you from ending up in the ditch.

T128 - Are you sure its not just the TC, when u lose traction u get the whole christmass tree effect. When the car starts traveling in a sidways direction the VSC (and beeping) cuts in.

Bero

I dont think the stability control helps much with cornering, once the VSC starts beeping you are well out of shape (and therefore not going to be the fastest way round the corner), the VSC only cuts in to save you from ending up in the ditch.

Finnally someone else who gets it, tcs and vsc are slowing you down, not making you faster. If the car had decent handling it wouldnt need them nearly as much.

Blimey! In the Aygo?

Paul.

i wish! no in the Daewoo! but could be one day when i put a turbo on the Aygo :yes::yes::yes:

:blink: and where does that put us against a civic tr ??? left for dust or keep up? :!Removed!:

Stock i never had much luck against them, there just that bit more focused, doenst mean its a better car though, once modded, (intake/backbox/removed backseats, coilovers) i used to overtake them on the outside of roundabouts and leave em behind, none of the ctr's i went up against were standard.

Blimey boys and girls.... This is turning out to be a HOT HOT HOT topic. All you speed freaks enjoy your CTS, CTR, HOT DAEWOO, SUPER AYGO or whatever it is, but just watch that precious license of yours!

I have heeded advice and did 130+ in 5th... and i know it will hit 140 no problem. :thumbsup:

Interesting though, being a close ratio box i wouldn't have thought that 6th can't be used to reach 140. Saying that i need to have enough balls to actually try after red-lining on 5th.

On the subject of racing CTRs, it is a lot closer to what people who don't drive neither of these cars imagines. Which brings me to the point of the published 0-60 stats of the CTS. It quotes 8.4sec for this, but i am sure it is faster than that.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links