Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Question On Exhaust Seal... First Diy On Exhause, Pls Help!

YarisGLS

Hi guys,

Just wanna ask if a new exhaust seal is required if I want to replace my stock back box to a new one? Or can I still use the old one, and use "tooth paste" seals like Holts Firegum to ensure a tight seal??

Is there any other new parts I would need to gather before such change?

This is my first time to do exhaust work myself... so please bare with me for dumb questions!

Many Thanks!

(rear wiper delay project prosponed to maybe next week or later :unsure: ....)

P.S. Spelling mistake in title.... it's just a typo! :P

Hi guys,

Just wanna ask if a new exhaust seal is required if I want to replace my stock back box to a new one? Or can I still use the old one, and use "tooth paste" seals like Holts Firegum to ensure a tight seal??

Is there any other new parts I would need to gather before such change?

This is my first time to do exhaust work myself... so please bare with me for dumb questions!

Many Thanks!

(rear wiper delay project prosponed to maybe next week or later :unsure: ....)

P.S. Spelling mistake in title.... it's just a typo! :P

you,d be better getting a new gasket as once you get the old exhaust of you may damage the gasket taking it of then your stuck till you go for another ,not heard of using tooth paste as a sealer :yahoo: but i,d invest in a small tube of sealer :thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply 215 compressor!

Is the gasket a toyota part? Or just any standard (I assume) crush seal gasket?

If it's a toyota part, what's the part number? Or where can I actually get one?

If it's any standard gasket, what dimention will I need to tell Halfords so they could get me one that fits?

It's for a 1.0 1999 GLS 3 dr BTW.

Cheers!

Gasket you can get from any exhaust place mate or toyota!

But do you know the size?? Coz I don't want to take the back box off, and find myself having the wrong gasket.... leaving me the last option of taking the bus to the exhaust shop.... =_="

P.S. the back box is still on delivery, hence the reason why I can't measure it myself!

Million Thanks in advance!

Just ring Toyota and order the gasket, it should fit the new backbox as it will be the same bore as the one you have brought. Should cost you no more than £2 or £3.

Thanks for the help guys!

Been to the exhaust shops and automotive parts warehouse today, but found that the gasket we are on about here is a "Toyota Only" part.... so it can only be found in the dealer.

And for your reference (if you need to change your back box) this is the part number: 410450.

BTW, I bought a tin of exhaust sealent. But it says it is not suitablt for use on catalyst converters.... Will it be unsuitable for my application? The sealing area I will apply to is "behind" the catalyst quite a bit, it is ok to use??

If you havn't already had your exhaust, wait until you get it as it may come with a new gasket, I know mine did. But I used the old one as it was still in good condition.

If you don't get one then you will need to order one from toyota.

Don't take peoples pricing seriously about what it will cost for a items from toyota, I've done this and it's been 2-3 times more expensive.

Sealant should be fine, it may just mean not to use it around the cat due to it getting very hot, sealant may not take the heat, but the backbox will be cooler.

If you havn't already had your exhaust, wait until you get it as it may come with a new gasket, I know mine did. But I used the old one as it was still in good condition.

If you don't get one then you will need to order one from toyota.

Don't take peoples pricing seriously about what it will cost for a items from toyota, I've done this and it's been 2-3 times more expensive.

Sealant should be fine, it may just mean not to use it around the cat due to it getting very hot, sealant may not take the heat, but the backbox will be cooler.

Thanks armoredfist2002!

Rang toyota dealer today, they quote me for five quid, sounds reasonable, but I will leave it till I see the condition of the old gasket.

I got a tin of hammerite exhaust sealent for a quid anyway! Should make good use of this.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links