Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Previa Slight Vibration

chrisf

Dear All,

i don`t want be classed a neurotic but i just bought an 06 previa with 10,000 miles, and when i accelerate i notice that there is a slight vibration through both the clutch and the acceleration pedal. ;) is this normal?. or am i just being silly.

kind regards chris

Chris, that doesn't sound normal. We have an 02 Petrol Previa (48k miles) which doesn't do this. Do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel or through the chassis? Does the vibration vary with road speed or engine revs?

Numerous things could cause this but the most likely is a badly balanced wheel; most likely a balancing weight has fallen off the wheel! Get the front wheels balanced and try again, failing that do the back wheels. Make sure you watch them when they do the balancing to ensure that they really zero out the weights :rolleyes:

Chris, that doesn't sound normal. We have an 02 Petrol Previa (48k miles) which doesn't do this. Do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel or through the chassis? Does the vibration vary with road speed or engine revs?

Numerous things could cause this but the most likely is a badly balanced wheel; most likely a balancing weight has fallen off the wheel! Get the front wheels balanced and try again, failing that do the back wheels. Make sure you watch them when they do the balancing to ensure that they really zero out the weights :rolleyes:

HI YA Tardis, thanks for that , although my dad seems to think that the problem is with the engine as it dos`nt do it when you are not accelerating, or is he wrong. is it likely to be the front or rear tyres or something more sinister ie front coupling?. it dosnt vibrate through the streering wheel or the chassis just a slight vibration when you ride the clutch whilst acelerating.

HI YA Tardis, thanks for that , although my dad seems to think that the problem is with the engine as it dos`nt do it when you are not accelerating, or is he wrong. is it likely to be the front or rear tyres or something more sinister ie front coupling?. it dosnt vibrate through the streering wheel or the chassis just a slight vibration when you ride the clutch whilst acelerating.

HI ya all,

well the tyres were slightly off balance particularly the drivers rear which was very bad. i didn`t know that the rear ones can cause vibration through the pedals. there was still a very slight vibration through the pedals so took it to toyota. who then took it out on a test drive. there opinion one of the chair rails slightly loose//???. they said that the clutch and accerlator vibrations were normal. although i still feel there is a very slight vibration. but will forget about it as i`ve done all i can. (THANKS TARDIS :D :D :D)

Is it a Diesel.

My 06 Previa Diesel vibrates through pedels, seats, basically vibrates everywhere between 1400 and 2000 revs, then smooths out. Not very bad obviously but vibrates

So I was wondering about this vibration myself.

Also during the same rev range (all this is under load) and by far worst in fifth gear, there is a pinking noise.

Just like the pinking when a petrol car has it's timing set wrong.

Not sure if this is normal I suspect not but it is my first diesel.

Toyota say no codes are up on the engine management......But can a diesel have wrong timing, (I suppose it is the fuel injection timing or some other strangeness) seeing as everything is electronic nowadays.

Bob

Is it a Diesel.

My 06 Previa Diesel vibrates through pedels, seats, basically vibrates everywhere between 1400 and 2000 revs, then smooths out. Not very bad obviously but vibrates

Also during the same rev range (all this is under load) and by far worst in fifth gear, there is a pinking noise.

Toyota say no codes are up on the engine management......But can a diesel have wrong timing, (I suppose it is the fuel injection timing or some other strangeness) seeing as everything is electronic nowadays.

Bob

Dear Bob

HI ya no there`s nothing wrong with your diesel, my lag (renault) didit before, i remember now. i took the 06 to a guy who`s been working on toyota`s all his life and he said no, your toyota working fine diesels tend to be a bit more rougher through the pedals. look im the most paranoid person on the market but believe me you need to drive another diesel and ride the clutch and you will see there is a vibration, on allof them. but just think whilst other petrol engines are blowing themselves up with there combustion diesel with compression and with the soothing effect of diesel is preserving the engine life!!!!!!!.

Is it a Diesel.

Bob

Dear Bob

HI ya no there`s nothing wrong with your diesel, my lag (renault) didit before, i remember now. i took the 06 to a guy who`s been working on toyota`s all his life and he said no, your toyota working fine diesels tend to be a bit more rougher through the pedals. look im the most paranoid person on the market but believe me you need to drive another diesel and ride the clutch and you will see there is a vibration, on allof them. but just think whilst other petrol engines are blowing themselves up with there combustion diesel with compression and with the soothing effect of diesel is preserving the engine life!!!!!!!.

Dear BOB i`m sure there`s nothing wrong look check the tyres and the chair rails believe me they can cause a vibration through the whole cabin but im sure it`s nothing . i was up in aberdeen last september as i was born in elgin and i wanted a return. its lovely up there i wish i copuld go back!!!. regards chris

Is it a Diesel.

Bob

Dear Bob

Is it a Diesel.

Bob

Dear Bob

Dear BOB i`m sure there`s nothing wrong look check the tyres and the chair rails believe me they can cause a vibration through the whole cabin but im sure it`s nothing . i was up in aberdeen last september as i was born in elgin and i wanted a return. its lovely up there i wish i copuld go back!!!. regards chris

hi ya Bob look its says in the what car that if the engine is missfiring it could be the safety fuel cut off valve but your car dosn`t seem to me to be at fault my be its because you have ) a diesel and b )perhaps have un balanced tyres, i wish i was up there to test drive it me self chris

Have you got aftermarket or non toyota alloys fitted?

Just in case you have, these can sometimes cause lots of vibrations if the fitment is not 100% correct...

06 Previa D4D

Mine vibrates at idle. it's rather like a slight misfire would be on a petrol engine. It has had new injectors and a new diesel pump fitted by Toyota under warranty, but the problem still exists. Now the 'official' Toyota line from both the dealer and TGB is that it is a 'characteristic of the vehicle'

I had a 02 Previa D4D immediately prior to this, and that was smooth (for a diesel anyway) at 60,000 miles.

NOT IMPRESSED with Toyota any more. The dealers are good at basic service, but give them an unusual problem and you realise that they don't really understand the technical details of the car.

The TMC (traffic avoidance) reception is also poor, but that's another story........

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links