Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Advice On Selling A Car

sotal

I'm selling the wifes car at the moment so I stuck it up on eBay. I put in the ad that I really wanted £2400 for the car (that's about what it's worth) but I was starting the Auction at £2195 with no reserve.

The car finishes on Friday, and it's currently got about 15 watchers, but I've had a bloke from Northern Ireland keep contacting me wanting to buy the car. He contacted me through eBay so I can see his feedback which is all positive at 36 over 3 years, he has only ever bought stuff never sold.

Anyway first of all he offered me the starting price if I took it off eBay and he said he would pay £200 deposit straight away via paypal then the rest as cash on collection.

I said I would prefer to leave the auction to run.

He has now emailed back offering £2400, with a £200 deposit now if I will meet him at the nearest airport at the weekend to do the sale.

Alarm bells are ringing in my head, but everyone I have spoke to thinks it would be OK, and he's probably a dealer and cars over there cost more etc etc.

What do you lot think???? :!Removed!:

Why not just let it run its course, if he wants it that bad he will put in the last bid!

Using Paypal is the best way not not get ripped off.

I'm selling a mobile fone at the moment and got a very strange email from a man in indonesia. Think it was a scam!

seems legit, although if u cancel the auction after he has paid the £200 deposit and he then backs out, its a frustration. if the auction finishes he has to buy it if the advert is true.

if you leave it to the end of the auction it may not make the £2400 but again you are backed up by them winning the auction and having to pay

if its a popular car at a good price, there is a chance it may go for more than 2400, which is why this guy wants it now.

make sure you get the money before you have over the keys though, if he wants it there and then, best bet is cash

I've just spoke to the bloke, he is saying that he wants it because they don't have many cars like it over there and they are really sought after - He said he is just buying it to sell on which he says he does a fair bit.

The car is a 1.6 Black 3 door Focus. He was telling me that there are very few 1.6's as most were 1.4's and that there is virtually no black ones. Does anyone here from Ireland know if this is true??

He does sound legit enough but I'm still slightly unsure!

Hi mate,

i'm always selling cars to people from Ireland and he will probably be a genuine buyer.. If i was you i'd accept the 200quid deposit and tell him to post (recorded/special delivery) the cash/cheque and meet him at the airport if its convenient.

The reason many wont bid in the auction is because if they were to bid 2400 and if he wants it asap and books a ticket and stuff then gets outbid at the last minute he will lose his ticket money..

A lot of Irish buyers do get cars from England due to there being a demand in Ireland for a certain type of car.....and a shortage of a certain make/models...If he is a car trader and from NI i will probably know him :) just mention my name lol:

Rash

Cheers Rash,

I'm going for it, he's posting me £200 in cash as a non-refundable deposit. Then I'm meeting him at the airport.

Fingers Crossed :thumbsup:

Cheers Rash,

I'm going for it, he's posting me £200 in cash as a non-refundable deposit. Then I'm meeting him at the airport.

Fingers Crossed :thumbsup:

Don't go alone and stay in view of any CCTV :thumbsup:

Cheers for the advice - I'll look for CCTV, I'm not going alone need someone else to drive me back anyway so it gives us a good excuse - there will actually be 3 of us!

Thanks for the advice everyone, the bloke seemed a nice genuine bloke, came over and picked it up last night paid cash which has now been checked by the bank and cashed. :thumbsup:

Good to hear, wish I had seen this earlier.

I sold my beloved starlet sr to a lad from NI. Same deal 200 quid deposit and he flew over

great guy and still in touch!

Good to hear it's ok Sotal.

I would've said, go to your local bank branch for the deal, so you're in a public place, and a teller can check the money there and then.

Also would've said, that you (not the buyer) should post off the V5 to the DVLA.

I don't think many banks would be open at 10pm!

Followed the instructions on the V5 for selling to someone from NI, which meant me retaining the purple portion which I sent off to the DVLA and he took the rest. It says without it he cannot import it into the country.

Followed the instructions on the V5 for selling to someone from NI, which meant me retaining the purple portion which I sent off to the DVLA and he took the rest. It says without it he cannot import it into the country.

Glad to hear the deal was straight...

Rash

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links