Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gear Or Clutch Problem 96 Carina 1.6 Petrol

k241

Hi I have a 96 toyota carina e 1.6 petrol and have a major problem with the gears/clutch and am not sure which it is.

My problem is i cannot change gear at all when the engine is on and i am stopped. I can change gear from 2nd to 3rd and 4th when the car is moving and with a lot of josseling but i have been told that this can be done without a clutch aslong as the revs are about right but then when i stop the gears will not change what so ever.

She will go into gear with the engine turned off and has a good pull in first gear but then try to change gear and its impossible when idling and next to imposible when moveing. When i say moving this problem occured on my way home from a long journey and i just made it back home through persistence with jossling the gears and pulling off in second when stopped.

When she is in gear the engine also wines, ie if she is idling in neutral the car is fine but if i put her into gear and turn her on then the engine has a sort of wineing sound over the normal sound.

At this stage i am hopeing there is something wrong with the clutch and its not the gear box but the fact that she doesnt slip when she is in gear and that she has a good pull on her on take off makes me think its the gear box in which case i may aswell get a new car as the cost of getting a gear box and getting it fitted will be more than the car was worth before this problem.

ANy help or suggestions as to what the problem might be or if anyone has had a similar experience let me know. I will be bringing it to a garage this week when i get some time off work and will post up the garages diagnoses incase anyone gets a similar problem

Thanks

K

The Carina Clutch is hydraulic. Possible leak resulting in poor or minimal disengagement?

Is the fluid in the clutch reservoir at MAX? (the dark cone-shaped one)

Is there any leaks/dampness around the boot on the slave cylinder? (front of bell-housing near radiator/battery)

Is there any dampness/leaks around the pushrod attached to the clutch peadal? (clutch mastercylinder)

The noise in gear sounds very ominous!!

Good luck.

Problem was the clutch. It all had to be replaced as part of it had broken off.All fixed now but may have another problem with car going down to 3 cylinders which seems to be happening alot to carinas from what i can read on the board.

• 4 weeks later...

Problem was the clutch. It all had to be replaced as part of it had broken off.All fixed now but may have another problem with car going down to 3 cylinders which seems to be happening alot to carinas from what i can read on the board.

well that was better than a new gearbox! glad you fixed it!

for the 3 cylinders thing, does the engine check light come on? are there any codes in the ecu?

follow protocol on other posts to determine which cylinder is misfiring, then move plugs and leads around so you can eliminate them. if they are ok its likely to be the injector.

I have had this problem twice, the first time was the injector (cost 130 to replace, i got ripped off) the second time was an ht lead (tenner from a scrappie). dont leave it too long running on 3 cylinders, the 02 sensor is quite temperamental on these cars and very expensive

the 02 sensor is quite temperamental on these cars and very expensive

Dont I know that. :censor:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links