Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What's The Alternatives?

dave.m

158885224.jpg

"Fiat has become the latest manufacturer to launch a two-wheel drive version of an SUV, with a new '4x2' version of the Sedici.

Only available in 'Dynamic' trim and with a 1.6-litre petrol engine, the 4x2 Sedici gives the range a new entry price of £9999. That's nearly £3000 less than the Sedici 1.6 Dynamic 4x4.

The Sedici 4x2 is visually identically to the 4x4 version, indeed the only difference between the two cars being the absence of a four-wheel drive switch next to the handbrake. Standard equipment includes aircon and four airbags, and the first 120 4x2s in the UK will get a bonus package of extras including alloy wheels, black metallic paint and dark tinted rear windows.

Despite losing its powered back axle, Fiat claims that the 4x2 Sedici has identical economy and emissions figures to its 4x4 sister: 39.8mpg combined and 173g/km."

If the economy and emissions are identical.....why bother? :unsure:

Jeep Cherokee

Is it a brave new era of quality and refinement for off-roader?

car_photo_276153_25.jpg

car_photo_276150_25.jpg

car_photo_276147_25.jpg

It’s one of the most famous badges in off-roading, and with 65 years of mud-plugging heritage, few companies can rival the 4x4 kudos of Jeep.

But the compact SUV market is tough, so the new Cherokee has to be good to compete. The line-up couldn’t be simpler: the car is offered solely in Limited trim with a 2.8 CRD diesel. Your only choice is between the auto box in our model and a manual.

With squared-off angles and a prominent grille, the styling appears dated, although it’s unmistakably Jeep, and is just what fans are looking for.

Unfortunately, even the most avid brand enthusiasts will find it hard to be impressed by the interior. The flat dash design is old-fashioned and uninspiring, while the quality and fit of the materials is way behind rivals from Europe and Japan. The driving position is cramped, too; there’s no reach adjustment on the steering wheel and the large transmission tunnel means the footwell is uncomfortably narrow.

Rear legroom is compromised as well, and the high boot floor means luggage room is poor for a car of this size. The only cabin feature worth recommending is the £950 Sky Slider full-length opening canvas roof.

As you would expect, a rugged chassis and decent wheel clearance mean the Jeep can handle hardcore off-roading. But few owners will need this and despite new suspension, the handling on tarmac is poor.

The steering has very low gearing – you need to turn the wheel a lot to get any response – while at speed the complete lack of feedback is disconcerting. Add in a poorly damped ride, which allows the suspension to crash over bumpy surfaces, and lots of body roll, and this car is hard to enjoy on the road. At speed it’s not very refined, and while the 2.8-litre diesel isn’t short on performance, it sounds harsh under power. All of which will disappoint those who were hoping the Cherokee would take a big leap forward

158885224.jpg

"Fiat has become the latest manufacturer to launch a two-wheel drive version of an SUV, with a new '4x2' version of the Sedici.

Only available in 'Dynamic' trim and with a 1.6-litre petrol engine, the 4x2 Sedici gives the range a new entry price of £9999. That's nearly £3000 less than the Sedici 1.6 Dynamic 4x4.

The Sedici 4x2 is visually identically to the 4x4 version, indeed the only difference between the two cars being the absence of a four-wheel drive switch next to the handbrake. Standard equipment includes aircon and four airbags, and the first 120 4x2s in the UK will get a bonus package of extras including alloy wheels, black metallic paint and dark tinted rear windows.

Despite losing its powered back axle, Fiat claims that the 4x2 Sedici has identical economy and emissions figures to its 4x4 sister: 39.8mpg combined and 173g/km."

If the economy and emissions are identical.....why bother? :unsure:

I guess pure initial buy price - the Suzuki SX4 (identical sister car) already comes in 4x4 and 4x2 versions, so there is no re-engineering needed, so only extra cost to fiat to intro it is the brochures!

I test drove a 4x4 Sedici when I was trying to decide what to replace the HR-V with - nice enough car, but a bit boring and little character to it, so I kept looking (and got the RAV4 of course!)

Jeep Cherokee

car_photo_276150_25.jpg

Rear legroom is compromised as well, and the high boot floor means luggage room is poor for a car of this size.

When I saw the pics, I wonder where the spare had gone as no longer on tailgate (Run Flats? :eek: ) - The "high boot floor" probably answers where it is?

Jeep Cherokee

car_photo_276153_25.jpg

Oh dear! :lol::lol:

Oh! Deer!

1216791929_29ddd65777.jpg

Fuj, you seem to have a Deer fixation at the moment, that needs satisfying - so there you go :lol:

Oh! Deer!

1216791929_29ddd65777.jpg

Fuj, you seem to have a Deer fixation at the moment, that needs satisfying - so there you go :lol:

Thanks mate! :thumbsup: Needed that.

Most of the lads from work are out on a STAG do tonight and I'm left be-HIND working nights! :crybaby:

Anyway, after a couple of pints :cheers: I would have ended up like BAMBI on roller-skates :drunk:

Oh dear, I seem to be stuck in a bit of a RUT. :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks mate! :thumbsup: Needed that.

Most of the lads from work are out on a STAG do tonight and I'm left be-HIND working nights! :crybaby:

Anyway, after a couple of pints :cheers: I would have ended up like BAMBI on roller-skates :drunk:

Oh dear, I seem to be stuck in a bit of a RUT. :lol::lol::lol:

Doh! ;)

2088812288.jpg

"Mercedes-Benz is planning a new small soft-roader, provisionally called BLK, for launch in late 2011 as part of the new A and B-Class ranges.

The BLK will slot into the line-up below the bigger GLK and compete with the likes of the forthcoming BMW X1 and Land Rover LRX in a new market segment for small, premium SUVs.

The BLK will get four-wheel drive and there is also the possibility of a front-wheel-drive ‘eco’ version of the car. A range of four-cylinder direct-injection petrol and diesel engines are being lined up, sized between 1.6 litres and 2.2 litres.

While the next A-class hatchback will spawn a compact coupe, the bigger next-generation B-class MPV (it gains nearly 10cm in length, making it nearly as big as Ford’s C-Max) will form the basis of the BLK.

After talks with Fiat and BMW, Mercedes has taken the expensive decision to go it alone on the development of its new front-wheel drive platform, which will come in two wheelbases. But there is still a chance that Mercedes could co-develop engines with BMW – talks between the two are scheduled to conclude in November.

The current A and B-class are based on Mercedes’ highly innovative ‘sandwich’ chassis, which was developed for the original A-class back in 1998.

However, the substantial cost of manufacturing the unique powertrain this platform requires has convinced Mercedes to shift to a conventional front-drive layout for the next generation of models.

The move also opens the way for Mercedes to plan a much wider range of models than is possible with the current A-class chassis.

Up to three spin-off models could be launched on the A-class and B-class platforms. So far, a three-door coupe based on the shorter A-class hatch has already been given the go-ahead and recent reports from Germany suggest that an electrically powered model is also likely to be part of the line-up."

2088812288.jpg

Cover the grille, and its yet another 4.2 clone. Like it :thumbsup:

2088812288.jpg

I can see that! :yes:

Bet the price won't be like a 4.2! :lol::lol:

2088812288.jpg

I can see that! :yes:

Bet the price won't be like a 4.2! :lol::lol:

I saw the pic and was thinking "I am liking that"

and read the "Cover the grille, and its yet another 4.2 clone" :yes:

then read "Bet the price won't be like a 4.2!" :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: (or should that be :no: :no: :no: :no: )

The RAV will still be more reliable and a better drive anyway

Got one of those USB keys in the post the other day. Its for the new Vauxhall Insignia, that is a nice car :yes:

I reckon Mercedes have bought the 4.2 Presses and reusing them.

HAZrav4-mod1.jpg

BLK-mod1.jpg

As I said way early on in this thread about the same subject, imitation is the best form of flattery :thumbsup:

For those who don't watch Fifth Gear on Five, here is the Ford Kuga... :lol:

Please wait a few seconds for Video to load!

Hi Duncs I watched this edition when it was on and for the life of me I couldn't understand why he took it

over that bit of track knowing it would get stuck and damaged :rolleyes: Having said that wouldn't have

thought the damage done would have cost THAT much :o

I watched this edition when it was on and for the life of me I couldn't understand why he took it

over that bit of track knowing it would get stuck and damaged

What did he expect? :huh:

Without the correct off-road tyres most 4x4's would have struggled to get out of that thick mud! :angry:

But it wasn't his car, so he didn't care! :(

Pity the poor owner who buys a nice low mileage ex ford mangement Kuga, thinking they've got a bargin for a well looked after car.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA :lol::lol: :lol: :lol:

That track was for a proper 4X4 and the Kuga aint one.....Nice to see the JCB Fast Track pull it out.....The farmer is ploughing the field behind my cottage now pulling the biggest plough I have ever seen...not even a blib out of the Fast Track.......

Bet the undercarrage was ripped to shreds and dented......

Always thought that presenter is a bit of a plank and a wannabe Clarkson :no:

Would any 'off-the-shelf' 4x4 in that class/price range have gone through that?

Hummer would have breezed it easily... :D :D

Now we all know :rolleyes: this is really the secret new Freelander floor plan cunningly disguised as a NANO.....

5388102343.jpg

Ratan Tata says he is still determined to keep the price of his firm’s radical Nano down to the promised £1250, despite the rising costs of raw materials.

The Nano has been designed to be the cheapest car in the world, but keeping the microcar’s unit price down to the stated goal of 100,000 rupees (£1250) is looking like an increasingly difficult challenge.

In an exclusive interview with Autocar India, Tata admitted, “The rise in steel and rubber prices are affecting our margins, but I would still like to keep to our promise on the base unit price.”

Experts say that this resolve will mean that Tata incurs losses on every vehicle when it goes on sale later this year.

It is estimated that raw materials account for a massive 23 per cent of the total factory cost of the Nano; in contrast, raw materials account for just seven per cent of the cost of a typical western car.

Plans by Renault, Nissan and Indian motorbike manufacturer Bajaj to build a Nano rival retailing for £1300 now look increasingly under threat, while Hyundai/Kia thinks that its own £1850 ‘Ultra Low Cost’ car is the realistic base price for any manufacturer.

Financial sources now estimate that Tata will need to produce 400,000 Nanos per year to make the project work; that’s 150,000 more than Tata originally calculated.

Even so, the Nano has a huge potential market. There are as many as 100 million households in developing countries able to afford a car under £3000 and demand for the Nano has already exceeded the original annual production figure of 250,000 units.

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Old Tom Ford did rev me up on Monday re the Kuga, saying how great it was, which it maybe, however you will still have to deal with Ford dealers which is what kills the Focus/Mondeo etc for me.

Anyway back in early 2007 he tested the 07 CRV which he didn't rate as it wasn't a proper off roader, later in 07 he tested some other light 4x4's and decided the Freelander was the winner because of its off road ability even though the boot is tiny and the price huge + its a pile of Green Oval cack!

Tom make your mind up and stop bigging up Ford Group Cars, it will be interesting to see what he makes of LR product now Ford Group don't own it.

Hi Duncs I watched this edition when it was on and for the life of me I couldn't understand why he took it

over that bit of track knowing it would get stuck and damaged :rolleyes: Having said that wouldn't have

thought the damage done would have cost THAT much :o

I also watch it and thought he was a total dipstick for taking a soft road down that track :angry:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links