Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Flat Tyre On T180 :-(

sywy

Yeah, mine was £200+VAT. :o

Parts-King. I was told that the wheel exchange is only in force at dealers who still have not got the machines, and that there wern't many of them left. I tried 4 different dealers, and 3 of them didn't even know of a wheel exchange scheme!!

Got my car back, yay! :yahoo:

The invoice says that I was charged £124 for the tyre and £90 for a Support Ring (whatever that is)...both excluding VAT. :crybaby:

Funny thing was that the delivery driver said "Wow, a tyre change shouldn't take that long!" :wacko:

Discovered something else too...the clutch on my T180 is as stiff as a board compared with the one on the XTR that I've had the last week!

:eek: :eek: :eek: O my god....just for one trye.....What happens if you happen to get two, miles from anywhere.....I was once looking at our new (now old moved on) house on a building site....got back to car and found two punctures.....RAC came to rescue.... :D

But what a fiasco to get one tyre fixed...surely Toyota dont expect you to fork out this every flat tyre you may have the missfortune to encounter....... :help: :help:

Yep, just for one tyre...and bear in mind that I was (allegedly) given a "large" discount on the tyre due to the hassle! :wacko:

By the way, I saw this mentioned elsewhere on this thread. Apparently it is possible to repair run flats but the screw in mine was too close to the tyre wall to make this possible. Also, the screw itself had damaged the internal support ring which is why I had to have a new one (I think). I was a bit confused as to why I needed a new ring when I'd had the whole wheel replaced but I'm guessing that the wheel is standard and turned into a runflat with the tyre and the support ring.

To be honest, I couldn't be bothered to question it...I was just happy to get my car back.

Another thing, the T180 poos all over the XTR both in terms of kit and performance!!!!! :toast:

Overall, I'm not happy with the hassle I had but I still really love the car!

Incidentally, a funny aside that came out of my saga. My wife wouldn't go in the demonstrator because it was sign written with words to the effect of "Call us for the ride of your life!". Can't see what her problem was! :yahoo:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sywy

• anchorman

• Manxrav

• rav4t180

I am told BMW offer tyre insurance for £199, covers 10 puncture repairs or 6 new tyres (if puncture not repairable) over 3 years. £10 surcharge on each new tyre. Not sure if this is BMW or an independant insurance co. I think details are correct but waiting to see copy of policy to confirm.

Reading some of your posts this does not seem to bad a deal. Your thoughts?

I am told BMW offer tyre insurance for £199, covers 10 puncture repairs or 6 new tyres (if puncture not repairable) over 3 years. £10 surcharge on each new tyre. Not sure if this is BMW or an independant insurance co. I think details are correct but waiting to see copy of policy to confirm.

Reading some of your posts this does not seem to bad a deal. Your thoughts?

I'd be interested in this, if you can find the details.

I fired an email off to Toyota yesterday, detailing my experience, and asking them to explain their course of action. I don't expect to get anything useful back, but would be interested to see what they say. If anyone else wants to do the same, I sent it to customer.relations@tgb.toyota.co.uk.

These 'stiff wall' tyres, would they be stiff enough to support the weight of our cars? As I understand it, and I may be wrong, the run flat bit on our tyres is the 'donut'. Could we get rid of this donut, use a stiff walled tyre (assuming they have the right size), and retain the valves, as this is where the TPMS is located? May end up be a bit expensive though!!

hi all.

i cant believe what i have been reading about the problems owners are having with such a simple problem as a puncture. i think mr.T. has dropped the ball on this one !! :censor:

surely this situation can not and should not be allowed to continue with a company as large as mr.T. could you imagine the stink and fuss if this had happended in the USA.car market (,or has it) ? i will check a few US toyota web sites to see if it has been resolved more quickly over there. not much use i know but it might help some one..

i am about to do the 24 hour test drive in a d4d xtr. which i see also has no spare,please dont tell me it also uses the same idiotic system as its big brother the t180.. i couldnt bear to step foot in a crv. :rolleyes:

happy motoring mickey.j. :thumbsup:

hi all.

i cant believe what i have been reading about the problems owners are having with such a simple problem as a puncture. i think mr.T. has dropped the ball on this one !! :censor:

surely this situation can not and should not be allowed to continue with a company as large as mr.T. could you imagine the stink and fuss if this had happended in the USA.car market (,or has it) ? i will check a few US toyota web sites to see if it has been resolved more quickly over there. not much use i know but it might help some one..

i am about to do the 24 hour test drive in a d4d xtr. which i see also has no spare,please dont tell me it also uses the same idiotic system as its big brother the t180.. i couldnt bear to step foot in a crv. :rolleyes:

happy motoring mickey.j. :thumbsup:

Hi Mickey,

The new XTR does not have run flats, it has a repair kit. Enjoy your test drive :thumbsup:

Dave.

Also, I believe all US RAVs have a spare on the back.

They are always saying how envious they are of our 'clean looking' rears on the Euro Ravs.

Having checked our tyres, I found the offside rear to be only 24psi so I pumped it up. On checking the tyres again today, it was back down to 28psi (the others were at 32) so I've booked it in for the dealer to have a look.

I did notice that valve cap doesn't sit flush with the alloy (unlike the other 3 wheels) the valve sticks out by about a centimetre. I was wondering if anyone else had noticed if their valve caps sit flush? Also, can you replace the valve on these tyres? Or would it mean a new tyre? :help:

Also, I believe all US RAVs have a spare on the back.

They are always saying how envious they are of our 'clean looking' rears on the Euro Ravs.

Some seem to have a space saver as can be seen on this line at a dealer in Florida. The first is full size but the second and fourth seem to be space savers.

IMG_1088.jpg

Cheers

duncerduncs, yes the valves are replaceable. I think I was quoted about £60 for ONE!!!

Not sure what you mean by flush fitting valves. All my valves look the same, and stick out from the alloy by about 2cms. Like any othe tyre valves really, except they're made of metal and are a bit thicker.

and retain the valves, as this is where the TPMS is located? May end up be a bit expensive though!! ????

Were does this info come from? because I was told the tpms data was transmited from a

pressure sencor straped to the inside of the rim???

I'm lead to believe that the TPMS is in the valves. I think I read it either here or on RAV4World.

Judging by the costs that I was quoted, it seems very likely.

Not sure about Toyota valves but on all others i have encountered it is the valve which transmits readings. Not wanting to add further bad news but on valves from other manufacturers they corroded and it was not possible to remove valve core to deflate tyre for routine repair or replacement. New valves were about £30. Gone are the days of new tyre,valve and balance for under £30.

Retired after 30+ years in trade.

Following the discovery by a lot of people on here that their dealers are unable to cope with a tyre puncture, I decided to contact my local dealer; Brooklyn Toyota in Hereford. They have advised me that they are fully aware of the replacement scheme and equipped to deal with such occurances. The way that they are running the scheme is that they have spare wheel/tyre's which they will fit to my vehicle in the event of a puncture. They would then send my wheel and tyre away for repair/replacement. When it returns they would then let me know and book me back in to have the wheel's swapped over.

I just thought that it would be useful to let people know that there are some dealers out there who are equipped to deal with the T180's. Can anyone else confirm weather or not their dealer is equipped and trained to deal with these run-flat's? We can then get an idea of numbers....

I'm suprised by that. I was lead to believe that nearly all dealers have had these machines installed, and have discontinued the wheel repalcement scheme. It was only some of the smaller dealers that hadn't. Even Clare (Manxrav) has found that her dealer on the IOM will be having these machines installed soon. As I said, I have written to Toyota, asking them about the situation, and have yet to receive a reply, despite the auto-response saying that it will be answered within 3 days!!

Anyway, to answer the other part of your question. I believe Burton-on-Trent, Tamworth, Derby and Ilkeston dealer have the abilitiy to change the tyres. Whether they carry stock of the tyre is another matter!!

I asked all these questions and received all information on exchange scheme and eventual tyre fitting

or repair at dealers.

BUT what do you do at weekends 200-300 miles from home (as i am most weekends) and only 1 dealer within first 100 miles.

Answer at the moment "wait while i think" Too many implications in changing wheels.

Why not even a space saver as an option for those of us in rural areas or who use our vehicles off road.

Like most I would not have a problem commuting 40 return miles/day during weekdays with dealer almost on doorstep.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on this site, after reading the problems people seem to be having with run flat tyres.

I bought a Rav4 XTR in June this year and the reason behind this was to get away from BMW and there run flats !!!! I would have loved a T180 the tyres were the only thing that stopped me buying one.

I had problems with 2 replacement run flat tyres on my last two vehicles the first the machine used to replace runflats ruined the alloy wheel on my BMW and the car was off the road for 2 weeks while it was repaired :(

The second was on my Mini that was only a week old with 100 miles on the clock when it got a punture the tyre warning system didnt work so I didnt even know I had a deflated tyre! and I wasn't happy about paying £200.00 for a new tyre on a week old car! and the alloy wheel had to be refurbed again!!!!

The mini was part exchanged for the Rav4 in June and I have to say that my Toyota dealer is great, much nicer than any BWW dealer that ive delt with for the past 15 years.

Im loving my Rav4 its black with leather interior and the style pack the only down side is the cleaning maybe i should have gone for another colour but it looks great !!

If Toyota start to make the T180 with ordinary tyres and fit a space saver in the boot or under the car i,ll buy one! even on the XTR i have an issue with having no spare wheel! but liked the opening of the boot without it.

Good luck to anyone who needs a replacement tyre and dont do to many miles I hate to think of the cost to replace all four tyres :huh:

Hi KATYB,

I have to agree with you on three points:

Toyota dealers are nicer than BMW dealers.

If Mr T made a T180 without run-flats and with a space-saver I would also consider buying one in the future, and so I guess would a lot more people.

Black cars look lovely when they are just freshly cleaned and polished but are a :censor: to keep looking clean. I know I've had two black cars in the past. As well as two white cars, two red cars and now I'm on my second silver car and I can say silver is brillant at hiding a multitude of sin. :thumbsup:

Enjoy your XTR.

Happy driving :)

Hi KATYB,

I have to agree with you on three points:

Toyota dealers are nicer than BMW dealers.

If Mr T made a T180 without run-flats and with a space-saver I would also consider buying one in the future, and so I guess would a lot more people.

Black cars look lovely when they are just freshly cleaned and polished but are a :censor: to keep looking clean. I know I've had two black cars in the past. As well as two white cars, two red cars and now I'm on my second silver car and I can say silver is brillant at hiding a multitude of sin. :thumbsup:

Enjoy your XTR.

Happy driving :)

Seems like Run-flats are here to stay. It seems more and more Manufacturers are going to go the run-flat way!!!!!

Clare

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on this site, after reading the problems people seem to be having with run flat tyres.

I bought a Rav4 XTR in June this year and the reason behind this was to get away from BMW and there run flats !!!! I would have loved a T180 the tyres were the only thing that stopped me buying one.

I had problems with 2 replacement run flat tyres on my last two vehicles the first the machine used to replace runflats ruined the alloy wheel on my BMW and the car was off the road for 2 weeks while it was repaired :(

The second was on my Mini that was only a week old with 100 miles on the clock when it got a punture the tyre warning system didnt work so I didnt even know I had a deflated tyre! and I wasn't happy about paying £200.00 for a new tyre on a week old car! and the alloy wheel had to be refurbed again!!!!

The mini was part exchanged for the Rav4 in June and I have to say that my Toyota dealer is great, much nicer than any BWW dealer that ive delt with for the past 15 years.

Im loving my Rav4 its black with leather interior and the style pack the only down side is the cleaning maybe i should have gone for another colour but it looks great !!

If Toyota start to make the T180 with ordinary tyres and fit a space saver in the boot or under the car i,ll buy one! even on the XTR i have an issue with having no spare wheel! but liked the opening of the boot without it.

Good luck to anyone who needs a replacement tyre and dont do to many miles I hate to think of the cost to replace all four tyres :huh:

Welcome to the club and all valid points.

I am certainly wary of those tyres.

I used to have a BMW company car and I have to say the the dealers seemed quite nice although I wasn't paying!!!

Nice to have the views of another lady as well.

Cheers.

Hi guys, Just found a screw in my rear tyre today :( .

Popped into dealers who were actually up to speed on the tyre exchange system.

I have 6mm of tread on the tyre so I can pay around £75 for a brand new wheel and tyre or risk it and run with the screw in?

If my tread drops to around 5mm il need to pay around £95 for new wheel and tyre.

Or if I wan to leave it till tyre is worn-out its £135 for new wheel and tyre. I reckon ive used a quarter of tyre at moment so £75 seems steep.

If i get a year and half out the tyre with the screw in it will be down to 3mm, id be looking for new ones at this point anyway.

Not sure what to do? There is no air coming out the tyre just now!

Any ideas?

I'd get it replaced asap, as I'm told that Toyota are gradually withdawing the replacement scheme. After which, you'll be paying £200+ for a new tyre, and possibly be waiting for days!!

Pick up a few more and you'll be all set for the icy roads this winter :rolleyes:

Pick up a few more and you'll be all set for the icy roads this winter :rolleyes:

The state the weathers in should be about middle September then :) :)

btw, if it does go flat, and the screw damages the internal 'donut', that will be an extra cost too!! Something like £100 iirc :censor:

Cheers guys,

The screw is nearer the outside of tyre which is further away from donut! Why will a tyre price change from £135 to £200?. Is this the tyre plus fitting etc to cover cost of new machines if they are doing away with replacement scheme?

What tread depth is a new tyre? I thought it was 8mm and at 6mm id used a quarter of wear.

If its 10mm well ive used half of it so £75 for half a tyre wear is reasonable then i suppose.

Decisions eh!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links