Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2000 Rav4 5th Gear Drops Out

phildr

Hi all,

I have a 2000 RAV4 GX 5 door, 47K on the clock. I have owned the car since 2001 - as the second owner. The vehicle had around 10K on the clock already when I bought it from a toyota dealer (Currie). A few years ago I noticed a vibration through the gear shift when the car was on the motorway and engaged in 5th gear. I had toyota (currie motors) take a look at this - but they said it was nothing unusual for a car of its age (at the time 4 years old). A few weeks ago - whilst on the motorway the 5th gear popped out - and suffice to say would continue to pop out as I tried to engage it. All other gears seem ok... I am a bit surprised though that the 5th gear seems to have gone in a relatively low mileage rav4.

Can anyone help me figure out what the problem is? Is it expensive? Anyone else see this issue and have any recommendations?

Any help hugely appreciated in advance.

thanks

Phillip

Hi Phil, welcome to TOC, sounds like a job for Anchorman ;)

Hi Phil, welcome to TOC, sounds like a job for Anchorman ;)

Phil welcome to the club......

I believe you can change the 5th gear syncro's without having to remove the gear box, as they are easily detachable and not inside the gear box...Anchorman will no doubt give a more detailed response...I know another member asked this and changed them as well...try doing a search on the forum search facility....

Thanks very much for the welcome :)

I thought that might be the case with regards to changing the syncros - but couldn't find any detail on whether the same applied to the mk2 RAV4. Most of the material I found seems to relate to the mk1 RAV4.

-P

Hi and welcome to the club.

I'm not sure that the vibration experienced in the early days has much to do with it. The gears are changed by cables and are less likely to transmit vibrations than rods. I suspect that any vibration felt in 5th was down to the relative position of the gear stick in that gear.

As chatman says you can get access to 5th gear without removing the gearbox but you do have to know what you are doing. To access 5th gear you need to remove the casing cover on the end of the gearbox. Under ther you will find 5th gear and the associated synchro and selector fork.

There is another possibility and that is the detent spring on the selector shaft. If selecting 5th feels vague, i.e. it does not "click" positively into position like the other gears, it is possible that the spring is broken. Again, this is accessable with the gear box installed (it is the same spring as reverse so that might feel the same).

The detent springs are under bolts on the gearbox casing. The easiest way to identify which is which is with the casing removed. It will line up with the selector shaft. You should be able to just get a new spring.

It all depends on what you are prepared to do but any good mechanic should be able to sort it out if you are not confident.

Good luck.

If it is a RAV 4.1 (First generation RAV4), then there is a pictorial guide to the fix at the RAV4World website.

Even if you don't want to do it yourself should be enough for a competant mechanic to action

See http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8866

Hope this helps.......

If you pm me with your email address I can give you the pages from the manual. The pictorial on R4W is excellent and describes very clearly what to do. One thing I would add is that under no circumsances whatsoever do you try to knock the gear back on as there is nothing to restrain the shaft and you will knock it right through.

Cheers

You guys are great - will check the pages, and assess if this is something I can do on my own..

--watch this space--

Regards

-P

• 5 months later...

Ok - am back - kids and wife gone on holiday so I could schedule something for the car...

So.. mr T (Currie) quoted me 909 quid to replace the "fifth gear"

I asked for a breakdown of the quote - and they said just the parts would come to 500 pounds.

This is astonishing. Anybody have a guide on how much a new 5th gear would cost - with all the sundries that I expect I should need as well (springs forks shifters etc etc)

Can anyone recommend a workshop in the West London (Heathrow-ish) area ?

Thanks guys - going to have a vodka now.. :(

Phil

I looked at this problem in the last month or so as there was a RAV with exact same problem on eBay. I bid up to £1400, but it went for £1570!! Twas a 1999 low mileage model and looked nice. Course with already having 2 there was no logic behind it.

From the research I did and the forums (forii?) the cost should be about £150 if you do it yourself, and thats replacing the gear and ring. If its a spring its pennies. Its not difficult to do either so I read.

The cause seems to be mainly the driver keeping his paw on the gearstick whilst its in 5th gear, which puts a bit of pressure on the gear etc.

And yes, as the guys have said, its an in-car job. So there we are - make hay while the sun shines; tell yer missus that it cost you £909 and then spend the rest at the bookies/take a holiday/come along to Warrington and meet some of us on 3 May.

For interest (gloating) on my quarter mile figures on Sunday the times were 15.4 seconds for the standing start quarter mile, with an end speed of 92mph. The 1/8th mile was hit at 75mph, so led us to identify a breathing problem on the set-up. The car didn't get to 5th gear! It did burst the rear back box on the exhaust hence the move to change it to a straight through....which should allow an exit speed in excess of 100mph, and bring down the time to around 13 seconds - as the new set up should allow the engine to rev more easily above 5000rpm.

Course if I lost a few stone that would probably help!!

I looked at this problem in the last month or so as there was a RAV with exact same problem on ebay. I bid up to £1400, but it went for £1570!! Twas a 1999 low mileage model and looked nice. Course with already having 2 there was no logic behind it.

From the research I did and the forums (forii?) the cost should be about £150 if you do it yourself, and thats replacing the gear and ring. If its a spring its pennies. Its not difficult to do either so I read.

The cause seems to be mainly the driver keeping his paw on the gearstick whilst its in 5th gear, which puts a bit of pressure on the gear etc.

And yes, as the guys have said, its an in-car job. So there we are - make hay while the sun shines; tell yer missus that it cost you £909 and then spend the rest at the bookies/take a holiday/come along to Warrington and meet some of us on 3 May.

For interest (gloating) on my quarter mile figures on Sunday the times were 15.4 seconds for the standing start quarter mile, with an end speed of 92mph. The 1/8th mile was hit at 75mph, so led us to identify a breathing problem on the set-up. The car didn't get to 5th gear! It did burst the rear back box on the exhaust hence the move to change it to a straight through....which should allow an exit speed in excess of 100mph, and bring down the time to around 13 seconds - as the new set up should allow the engine to rev more easily above 5000rpm.

Na, keeps it on the road bothy!

I looked at this problem in the last month or so as there was a RAV with exact same problem on ebay. I bid up to £1400, but it went for £1570!! Twas a 1999 low mileage model and looked nice. Course with already having 2 there was no logic behind it.

Na, keeps it on the road bothy!

Thanks - too kind! Already been to see friendly tyre and wheel supplier to source lighter alloys and lower profile tyres to alter gearing.....

I didn't realise the Jap cars have a limiter set at 112mph which just goes to prove my speedo is not that accurate!

I think I'm going to do this myself - had a look at the pictures - looks ok-ish..

I will post up the parts list as soon as I get it tomorrow.

-Phil

hmm... warrington...sounds interesting

I think I'm going to do this myself - had a look at the pictures - looks ok-ish..

I will post up the parts list as soon as I get it tomorrow.

-Phil

hmm... warrington...sounds interesting

Good for you. Half the battle is already won - convincing yourself to take the bull by the horns!

• 3 months later...

Hi Phil

I'm going through the same problem right now. I recently asked the helpful folks here about the 5th gear issue.

You might want to look at http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=84002 where I've had some advice and this link > http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?...hlight=5th+gear < . I've printed it out and taken to my local village garage. After a few days he has decided he will g for it if I can get the parts. So I'm at that stage. perhaps we can swap tips until we get it sorted.

Mat / Raver too

Hi all,

I have a 2000 RAV4 GX 5 door, 47K on the clock. I have owned the car since 2001 - as the second owner. The vehicle had around 10K on the clock already when I bought it from a toyota dealer (Currie). A few years ago I noticed a vibration through the gear shift when the car was on the motorway and engaged in 5th gear. I had toyota (currie motors) take a look at this - but they said it was nothing unusual for a car of its age (at the time 4 years old). A few weeks ago - whilst on the motorway the 5th gear popped out - and suffice to say would continue to pop out as I tried to engage it. All other gears seem ok... I am a bit surprised though that the 5th gear seems to have gone in a relatively low mileage rav4.

Can anyone help me figure out what the problem is? Is it expensive? Anyone else see this issue and have any recommendations?

Any help hugely appreciated in advance.

thanks

Phillip

• 5 years later...

Trying to get a hold of Anchor Man,

Hello Anchor Man

I have a 2000 Rav4 L with the same problem described above. Do you know if the same procedure can be implemented to correct the 5th gear problem for my model? Would it be possible for you to send me the the manual pages dealing with the problem. I would be most grateful!!!

Thanks, Catamount 1 wrgr1w@gmail.com

Welcome to the club Will.

Would be a good idea to edit the e-mail address out of your post and send Anchorman a personal message direct.

Otherwise you will be receiving who knows what in your mailbox...............

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links