Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Consumption

Panners

Whats the correct psi to put in the tyres?

I've seen 3.4mpg on the computer :P

I have 36psi at the front and 34 at the rears... Reason for such high pressure for fronts is that i find this stops excessive wear to the outer edge of the front tyres...Plus this should also increase fuel efficiency and its perfectly safe.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• T Sport 1978

• Hogie

• SCOOB_81

• Panners

Well, my fuel light's just come on, 280miles to the last tank.

Driving mainly like a grandad with the occasional lift!

:huh:

I've averaged around 37mpg since I've owned mine, thats a mix of normal and premium unleaded, with a mix of motorway and town driving. I hit lift now and again and certainly not a slow driver - I'd have to drive it pretty hard to get it averaging 25mpg on a journey, whats with the huge differences we're seeing here?!

I put it down to my superb smooth driving style..... :D

:lol:

I too get roughly 37 mpg, it's got to be the driving style

Obviously we went to the same driving school :D

Hmmmm, I'm miles off those figures! I never really thought about it though, but I probs do more town driving than anything else. I'm off to Birmingham on Friday so I hope I can join the 400 mile club :D Although it's unlikely after fitting a Typhoon kit last night!

Too right about the NSX-R, T sport 1978 - what a car!!! :thumbsup: And yeah, you cant complain too much about the Corolla engine either. I'm really impressed!

I caught 5 mins of fifth gear on dave and saw the new Skyline though - wonder how much you can get for selling a kidney these days?? :D

MY fuel consumption recently has bottomed out aswell. Although i think it's got something to do with my having my new dual TTE backbox fitted, i can't stop using lift during all my journeys just to hear that exhaust growl and scream like a banshee! :P

Cheers

Armz.

I only ever got 350 once,filled in london and all motorway back to Ireland, usually 300 and then the light comes on.

i did 412 miles. used a tiny bit over a tank on the run. was all morotway and country roads. south england to holyhead then dublin thru ireland.

I only ever got 350 once,filled in london and all motorway back to Ireland, usually 300 and then the light comes on.

i did 412 miles. used a tiny bit over a tank on the run. was all morotway and country roads. south england to holyhead then dublin thru ireland.

Im on 310 with a 1/4 left, ill see how close i can get, filled it with v power(i know its only 95ron in Ireland) and its giving me better economy for some reason, although i did just do the oil so mite be something to do with that also.

By the way dwtg you know maxol fuel is 99.2 ron now, the E5 stuff. There is a list on the website as to where you can get it. I gave it a couple of tanks, i not to sure if it made a diff but said id let you know. I thought it did at first, but could be the imagination. I think its the same stuff as the tesco 99 or same mixture

310 and a quarter left......i dont even get 310 before the light comes on. im lucky if 270 miles of combined driing when im down to quarter best ive had is 330 on all motorway driving doing 75 in 6th gear before the light came on...didn use lift once which was difficult

ya do. let me know if you see any differences in performance and economy. hows it priced compared to reg 95 ron? im up in northern ireland most of the time now so paying the extortionate 106.9p /litre here.

I ran mine in religiously, have always used V Power and I get roughly 33-35mpg and i wouldn't say driving like a grandad...

I make a 30 mile round trip to work 6 days a week in my Compressor and fuel can cost me £10 a day with lead-foot driving or I can do the whole 6 day period (180 miles) for £30 with lightfoot.

The Compressors mpg varies an unbelievable amount depending on the style of driving you're going for. I recommend lightfoot for a traffic jam packed work day & lead-foot for indulgent day's off and 2 am trips to the shop!! ;)

The Compressor is a great car (besides the lack of 4WD, a soft chassis, poor handling, terrible brakes and the displeasing to the eye single-silencer exhaust) but I must say that I am starting to tire of the frankly astronomical fuel bill for these things. Alright as I have said above you CAN get a decent mpg out of them IF you drive like you've got a coffin in the back BUT I didn't buy a Compressor to drive like I was part of a funeral procession now did I!!

Doesn't seem to be a problem isolated to the Compressor though, back when I had my Yaris T-Sport (& Toyota didn't feel guilty enough to hide my mpg from me!!) I used to be able to get that down to 15 mpg if I was redline driving for a while, I would hate to think what my compressor is returning with equally spirited driving!!

Just seems to me that we are not getting enough power to justify the appalling mpg we receive, my mate has a 320 bhp Evo that gives better economy than mine does!! WTF!!

Had a new Audi S3 for the day last weekend and purposely thrashed the pants out of it relentlessly everywhere I went to see if I could get it down to the same sort of 8-10 mpg I'm estimating mine to be doing when I thrash it in the same way, (S3's have working trip computers you see) I couldn't even get the Audi to dip below 20 mpg even when exceeding 150 mph. How annoyed was I!!

Anyways, have decided now that's my next car, bloke at the dealership had one that had been re-mapped to 330 bhp and was still returning 20+ mpg!! What a car!!

C'mon Toyota, give me a decent alternative!! Not every Toyota fan in the 21st Century wants to drive a %$(ing Prius!!

~~{{Sambo}}~~

ya do. let me know if you see any differences in performance and economy. hows it priced compared to reg 95 ron? im up in northern ireland most of the time now so paying the extortionate 106.9p /litre here.

Got 360 in the end, driving it very easy,light on for bout 5 or 6 miles. Maxol E5 is same price as the normal stuff, it should say E5 on the pump. Filled it up with normal tesco stuff last night, so ill give it a bit of stick on the dual carriage way to see if there is any difference between the fuels

il be going home for a few days soon so il get a chance to fill up with the maxol stuff but i doubt il get much difference from one tank.

I can only get it in limerick and ennis, i dont know have they started stocking it up my end of the country yet, its not marked on the pumps anyhow like it is in limerick. They have a list of every filling station that stocks it on the website, great news for the fellas running jap import cars that are mapped for higher octane fuel. The stuff is 5% bio ethanol, they're saying its better for the environment, they must be some loop hole in the law or tax break for bio fuel cause you have to pay higher duty on high octane fuels in Ireland, thats why there is no proper v power,just the 95octane stuff with a few additives.

• 8 months later...

So far I have driven my car only in the city. I have it for 2 weeks and only driven it for 120 miles. It gave me 25 mpg - urban only. Now that I have seen the official quoted consumption is 30 mpg urban, I still wonder if 25 mpg is OK or I have to do some diagnostics/tuning to the car?

What do you think?

Also do you think the car computer is accurate.

P.S. I will post the results for the motorway when I do some motorway.

I was constantly filling up travelling 300 miles a week so she had to go and now i got a Clio thats averaging 55 miles to gallon :) my pockets alot healthier for it as well. Be getting a bike soon which i find so much more logic in. I mean come on Honda CBR - Top Speed 160mph averaging 50 -60 miles to gallon - £25 empty to full tank or Tsport - Top speed 140 (never done) 25-30 miles to gallon and best part of £45 -£50 to fill up.

You cant really compare cars to bikes to be fair lol i mean in the cars defence you could say you cant fall off a car i think every person i know has fell off a bike aswell, also you have comfort, heat, radio and you dont have to wear a stupid outfit, all in all bikes are far faster than cars but there is a very big price to pay mainly your life lol.

ps i have just checked my trip computer and im averaging 20.9 mpg

I think the big question here is how much did it cost to get rid of the Rolla? If it cost a lot then a whole load of miles will have to be driven to cover the loss in depreciation.

You cant really compare cars to bikes to be fair lol i mean in the cars defence you could say you cant fall off a car i think every person i know has fell off a bike aswell, also you have comfort, heat, radio and you dont have to wear a stupid outfit, all in all bikes are far faster than cars but there is a very big price to pay mainly your life lol.

ps i have just checked my trip computer and im averaging 20.9 mpg

can you realy justify 20 mpg i mean i would expect a Vaxhall Monaro to do that and there are 5.7ltre with 400bhp. Any rider will tell you it is mostly car/van and lorry drivers which cause alot of crashes cuz they do nor check there mirrors often enough or if at all.

The strange thing is that the car would regularly travel 350 miles at least until the low fuel lamp lit.

Cheers all.

I could just about squeeze 350 out of a tank of V-Power on a long run. I used to drive from Edinburgh to Wick for work which is 250 miles or so. I'd fill up to the brim in Inverness on the way up and I could get from Inverness to Wick then Wick back home on that tankful. Red light usually came on around Perth and I drove it the rest of the way down the M90 like a Nun.

Depended on how many 20 car overtakes at full throttle I slotted in on the A9 mind :lol:

Snert

has any body ever noticed any diefferences after servicing? or likewise tried injector cleaner etc?

im curious as i can live wiht 30/35 mpg, but im gonna struggle with the 25/27 im currently getting, every last mile counts! haha and thats with some lift, enough to keep me satisfied but no where near as much if it were to be more economical.

Hi guys,

as an answer to the original question/statement (I can't remember what it was because I've been reading this topic for so long), you're mpg may have gone down because you're running too rich. If you have an air filter and an exhaust system, it can alter the cars breathing pattern to the point that the ECU becomes ineffective in getting the engine timings right.

This is what happened to my dads Hyundai Coupe when he got a pipercross and a motoria, we went to a rolling road and the guy said that we were running really rich which was hugely performance sapping!

If you can, get the car remapped or buy a cheap ECU, but if you don't want to pay the money for that stuff then I think that you're screwed unless the problem irons itself out.

Personally I would buy the new ECU and re-map it for each mode of driving. All you'd need to do is preprogram each mode and flick through them when you need to drive differently.

KPARRIS-JONES

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links