Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Style Pack

Mc Tavish

Hi Folks

Today we picked our long awaited blue XTR D4D with the style pack :yahoo: and after much oooohhhing and aaaaaahhhhhing we brought our new purchase home now on closer inspection it looks as if the front nudge bar is not exactly sitting right it looks as if its being slightly twisted and is sitting further of bumper on one side? its hard to describe so if anyone out there has any ideas or even better any photos of thiers it would be great. I was told that there was a new style kit for XTR but they fitted the original one as per brochure.........??????? I was also told that there may be an issue because of new front under run plate.......... ??? I'm probably just being pernickety but now is the time to shout. Any help or ideas wud be good

McTavish

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mc Tavish

• JKV

• bothwell_buyer

• anchorman

Hi mate, glad to hear you finally have your Rav. Remember and get the photos up on Bob's photo thread.

Regarding the A bar, as I remember the front bumper has to come off to fit it. So if you aint happy with the

way its been fitted, best getting back to uncle Arnold. Pity about the sh^t weather, but take it out tomorrow

and have fun anyway.

I'm with dave on this one. If you look at the attached instructions you will see that accross the front there is a row of fixing bolts. They need to be drilled precisely to allow the gaurd to fit properly. It might be a case of elongating the holes to allow it to lie flat on the front bumper but doing it is a biggish job. I have to say that I would prefer to do it myself but if in any doubt let them do it as you parted with good dough for a good job.

And although we've seen them before we do like that cyber tyre kicking (looking at pics).

Cheers

http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/legacy/To...000%20531-3.pdf

Thanks for that guys will go with the "back to the garage thing" however before i go can you tell me should the front bar sides (the black bits that curve round bumper) sit tight against the bumper or should there be a gap? :blink:

McTavish

Hi and I hope you enjoy your new Rav4 as much as I do mine! Working on the assumption (and we all know about "assume" - it makes an "a**" out of "u" and "me") that the front guard on my Rav is fitted correctly, there is a slight gap 8 - 10 mm between the black side bars and the original bumper on the outside of the vehicle, but on the inside they are tight up against the grill in the centre of the guard. It is fitted symetrically and there's no distortion to the guard. The models are very slightly different here in Ireland but I'm pretty certain that the guard I've got is the one illustrated in Anchorman's pdf. At the risk of boring regular readers/contributors to death, here's a couple of pictures of the guard

Frontguard.jpg

Frontguard2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Took Rav back to Uncle Arnold yesterday for them to refit nudge bar and today i picked it up and............... well you decide.......!

Was told thats as good as we can make it.....Am i right that its not sitting right? or am i being too pernickety??? WHAT WUD U DO?????McTavish :ffs: rav4bumper004.jpgrav4bumper003.jpgrav4bumper002.jpgrav4bumper001.jpgrav4bumper003.jpgrav4bumper001.jpg

Just been outside (and it's bl**din' cold here) and the gap between the shiney sump guard bit and the black plastic bit is about 1mm on each side on my Rav4. I don't think you could get a much better fit as it looks as if the black plastic bit is one solid piece, and the sump guard has to be centred.

Hi,

I am too very confused. I ordered my XTR brand new from Toyota and picked it up today!

All was great until I went round the Rav and saw no Nudge bar :( , I was told that on the XTR you CANT have the nudge bar due to the lower front chrome/silver guard :blink:

But Ive seen adverts for secondhand XTRs with 07 plates and they HAVE the Nudge bar??!!

Whats going on?

When I check the accessories list, it states a nudge bar, but Toyota say no!

Who shoudl I believe?? I really do want the nudge bar...

Any help or pointers??

There is NO nudge bar listed for new spec XTR models. They have the front under run protector, but no nudge bar

On earlier models, you could get a seperate nudge bar

In other words, the older nudge bars will not fit onto new RAV's (That is my simple interpretation anyway-if it would fit, I'm sure it would be listed as an accessory)

Kingo :thumbsup:

Thanks Kingo,

Ive just this minute got off the phone to Toyota Customer Relations who confirm that the Underrun protector is the culprit!

It wont allow a nudge bar to be fitted and as such protrudes too, so it would neccesitate removal to fit a nudge bar, buit as you say it is no longer an accessory for the XTR ONLY!

Toyota hasten to add they do not recommend removal of this item as it forms part an parcel of the style!

HOWEVER, Ive now been informed by another Toyota Dealer, that if you remove the guard the XTR comes with and fit the one that the nudge bar comes with then it will fit fine??!!

Will removal of the XTR chrome guard and replacement with the standard nudge bar and the lower chrome guard that comes with the nudge bar invalidate any warranties etc by Toyota??

So on looking at the photos earlier, it would **appear** that the difference in gaps maybe to do with leaving on the XTR grill as opposed to using the lower chrome grill that comes with nudge bar :eek:

Yep guys it looks like we're all in same boat after looking at last post i was up out of house and crawling around under front of motor and lo and behold it would appear that my underrun protector (original) has disappeared and the one i presume that comes with the nudge bar is on by itself !!!! its all becoming clear now it seems that uncle arnold had fitted the underrun protector over the top of the one originally fitted one (two for the price of £650) and made a dogs lug out of it!!! drilled holes in wrong place :wacko: so in turn nudge bar no sitting right!!! also just had a phone call from uncle arnold offering me 25% discount of next service for the hassle!!! :ffs: If thats the job they make of fitting style pack (even when its not an option in brochure!!!) don't know if i want to take my rav back to them confidence at an all time low wi unci ARNIE dont know if "ILL BE BACK" :censor: Got to phone back Tuesday as workshop manager of for a wee break gone rolling easter eggs down a hill somewhere so will stew in my own juices till then but i feel harsh words are about to be spoke :boxing::2guns:

AFAIK, the original XTR Lower chrome guard must be removed first.

Then the nudge bar with its own lower chrome guard is fitted

The XTR lower chrome guard is just binned/ebayed ;)

Im gonna go to Toyota and see if they will fit the nudge bar as I dont fancy doing this myself.... :wacko:

AFAIK, the original XTR Lower chrome guard must be removed first.

Then the nudge bar with its own lower chrome guard is fitted

The XTR lower chrome guard is just binned/ebayed ;)

Im gonna go to Toyota and see if they will fit the nudge bar as I dont fancy doing this myself.... :wacko:

I have to admit the nudge bar and side steps sets the motor off realy well...... money well spent (if its done right ) let us know how you get on (as i will)

cheers McTavish :wacko:

I have to admit the nudge bar and side steps sets the motor off realy well...... money well spent (if its done right ) let us know how you get on (as i will)

cheers McTavish :wacko:

I was told the price to fit my Nudge bar to the XTR today by the service department!!

£443 supply and fit= 1.5 hours labour

Are there any 2008 XTR owners or indeed traders got any info on the nudge bar and fitment?

The service person told me that the Lower chrome grill **could** be taken off and the nudge bar fitted, but said he couldnt be sure...£443 is a lot of money....

Any suggestions?? :(

When I ordered my XT-R I asked about a nudge bar because I had noticed in the brochure that they were not listed for the XT-R. I got a call from the salesman quoting £140 odd quid fitted but he never offered an explanation regarding problems with the XT-R and as I decided against it I never asked.

I did have the stainless steel chromed bars for £338 so you quote sounds dear unless he is quoting for a pack or something

I think its a balance of savings against being able to go back if its not fitted right or if anything goes wrong! Being a new Rav XTR owner too i wouldn't be sure about fitting a second hand nudge bar to my nice new motor anyhow. I took the style pack which included chrome door strips, side steps, and nudge bar all for the sum of £650 but as far as fitting the nudge bar.... look at anchormans post above and click on link its the fitting instructions and if you're like me you'll be glad to let someone who's supposed to know what thier doing do it for you as according to the toyota instructions the bumper and slam pannel has to come off!!!! STUFF THAT!!!! way beond my limited skills!!! and yes the front under run pannel does come off well at least mine is gone!!!! and in its place is the under run pannel that comes with the nudge bar think i would just bite the bullet and get Mr Toyota to fit it either that or try shoppin about :unsure: anyways keep us informed as how you get on

McTavish :P

HI McTacish and Vickk, many thanks for your replies.

I did in all fairness, when I placing my order specifically request that the XTR have the nudge bar and sidesteps, to be told then that this was the "style pack" and would cost £650 by the salesman that yes this would be fitted by Toyota directly before coming to the dealership!.

It was only on picking up the XTR, and having looked around that I noticed that there was no nudge bar and was then told that "oh the XTR (referring to the 'new' brochure I had never seen!) that the style pack for the XTR is with chrome trims on the sides and rear only and that the nudge bar wasnt an option for the XTR due to the lower chrome grill!

I agree, I wouldnt dream of buying a second hand one, Pentagonsheffield (toyota dealer) on eBay will supply one at £269.84 and then its just fitting. at 1.5 hours labour!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-RAV4-FRONT-GU...1742.m153.l1262

I totally agree that whilst my DIY skills are good on walls etc I would never use them on my new pride and joy, I'd only entertain MR T do it , when the £443 cost will be more platable on my back pocket.

Does anyone know for sure that the Nudge bar will Deffo fit the New XTR?? Mr T says, if it dont fit and they make a mess, I'll have to stump up the cash and live with the result...to say Im nervous about it is an understatement!

I will approach the original salesman and ask for a ahem** discount, if poss too.

Any Toyota trader/parts people know if the nudge bar will deffo fit the New shape 2008 XTR?? ta

HI McTacish and Vickk, many thanks for your replies.

I did in all fairness, when I placing my order specifically request that the XTR have the nudge bar and sidesteps, to be told then that this was the "style pack" and would cost £650 by the salesman that yes this would be fitted by Toyota directly before coming to the dealership!.

It was only on picking up the XTR, and having looked around that I noticed that there was no nudge bar and was then told that "oh the XTR (referring to the 'new' brochure I had never seen!) that the style pack for the XTR is with chrome trims on the sides and rear only and that the nudge bar wasnt an option for the XTR due to the lower chrome grill!

I agree, I wouldnt dream of buying a second hand one, Pentagonsheffield (toyota dealer) on ebay will supply one at £269.84 and then its just fitting. at 1.5 hours labour!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-RAV4-FRONT-GU...1742.m153.l1262

I totally agree that whilst my DIY skills are good on walls etc I would never use them on my new pride and joy, I'd only entertain MR T do it , when the £443 cost will be more platable on my back pocket.

Does anyone know for sure that the Nudge bar will Deffo fit the New XTR?? Mr T says, if it dont fit and they make a mess, I'll have to stump up the cash and live with the result...to say Im nervous about it is an understatement!

I will approach the original salesman and ask for a ahem** discount, if poss too.

Any Toyota trader/parts people know if the nudge bar will deffo fit the New shape 2008 XTR?? ta

hi there im a newbie here so please be kind to me .i felt i had to say about the xtr style pack i ordered mine in february with style pack which was supposed to have side steps and front guard .car was delivered with side skirts and unasked for chrome finishers on doors and tailgate but no front guard,was ready to walk away from deal to cut along story short salesman agreed it was not what i ordered and said he would look into getting one fitted for me as he wasnt aware of there being two style packs one for the xtr and one for all other models .after two weeks toyota agreed to fit it as it was still shown as an option on their website . the upshot is it fits an xtr albeit not as well as it could and if i got it free dont see why they are making you pay for it. hope this helps you

hi there im a newbie here so please be kind to me .i felt i had to say about the xtr style pack i ordered mine in february with style pack which was supposed to have side steps and front guard .car was delivered with side skirts and unasked for chrome finishers on doors and tailgate but no front guard..................

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, thats great that they fitted the Nudge bar to your vehicle. What you experienced is exactly what happened to me. When you say

the upshot is it fits an xtr albeit not as well as it could"

How does it fit? To be honest, im not wanting to pursue the fitment of the nudge bar, if it doesnt **look or fit correctly**

Referring back to your reply, In my case Im not going to get any joy here re:nudge bar. Its the case of the XTR doesnt come with a nudge bar in the style pask and thats that!

Can you post up pics of your XTR with nudge bar fitted??!!??!! ta! ;)

hi the bar part of it fits fine but the under run guard as toyota call it is lower at the sides than in the centre nothing too drastic but noticable .were you told when you ordered your rav that you would get steps and the bar ?if so and it didnt come as ordered then surley you have been misled by your dealer/toyota i think your dealer is being unhelpful because it will not cost them anything as toyota will stump up ,their mistake after all.maybe you should contact toyota directly,it took just two phone calls for mine to be sorted(dealer did this for me) . i hope you get some joy but just dont give them a penny of your hard earned . cheers ! paul!

hi the bar part of it fits fine but the under run guard as toyota call it is lower at the sides than in the centre nothing too drastic but noticable

Can you popst up a piccy please!

.were you told when you ordered your rav that you would get steps and the bar ?if so and it didnt come as ordered then surley you have been misled by your dealer/toyota i think your dealer is being unhelpful because it will not cost them anything as toyota will stump up ,their mistake after all

I'll try my Toyota dealer and then if no joy then, I'll try Toyota customer service ......

maybe you should contact toyota directly,it took just two phone calls for mine to be sorted(dealer did this for me) . i hope you get some joy but just dont give them a penny of your hard earned . cheers ! paul!

Unfortunately, Ive paid my deposit and the rest is on their 0% finance....Fingers crossed............for the nudge bar then eh!

Removing the front bumper can look a bit intimidating but if you set your stall out you can do it. If you've had the front gaurd fitted over the front under-run gaurd the somebody at the dealer wants stuffing as that is purely a cobble up. I would take it back and tell them to sort it out - that means take the front gaurd off and then the existing under-run gaurd and then start again. This is a good example of why you should have a go at some of these jobs when you are otherwise being charged £75 + VAT an hour for the village idiot to do it ( you don't think the qualified technician gets the job do you???). They are adding time because they haven't done one yet but if they are going to experiment on your car let them do it their own expense - cheeky sods! A friend of mine had a rear bumper protector fitted to his RAV and the dealer has stuck it over the existing applique which is another cobble up. You can see the original stuck out at the ends and the new one doesn't sit right - just bewildering!

I don't have one of these front gaurds fitted or I would take it off for you and photograph it to show you it is not beyond your capabilities but if somebody wants to fit one and is within reasonable distance of North Derbyshire you can bring it to me and I will do it with you while we photograph it as a improvement tip - for free!

However for anyone that wants to fit one to an XTR the process can be outlined as follows;

If you don't have a garage choose a nice day and you will need a helper to drop the bumper off. The XTR front gaurd is fitted with an adhesive strip and four existing bolts under the front bumper - print off and have a look at this;

http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/legacy/To...001%20034-0.pdf

To remove it take the bolts out of the bottom of the gaurd and warm the top of the gaurd with a hair dryer then peel it off the adhesive strip. When it is off remove all traces of the original adhesive with sellulose thinners.

The next part is to fit the new front gaurd and although it is shown on the instructions I will review it step by step (print them and follow the diagrams);

http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/legacy/To...000%20531-3.pdf

Set your stall out, remember - nice day if you don't have a garage and recruit a helper. You need to lay out some old carpet or decorating sheets so that you don't scratch the bumper - get those ready before you take it off!. The few tools you need are at the bottom of page 3. It shows a trim removal tool (the one with claws) but you can manage with 2 flat blade screwdrivers. Take the time to identify the different types of fixing and the symbols show you where they are located.

1. Lift the bonnet and remove the access cover for the towing eye. Remove the screw, 2 bolts and one nut from each front side if the wheel arch liner on both sides.

b133187.png

2. Remove the black cover from the top of the radiator as shown in these instructions for getting at the horns;

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=71343

Put simply you remove the 9 clips by pressing the centre down with a pencil or screwdriver.

3. Remove the 2 grille protectors at each end of the grille (these are the phillips screws with a rubber buffer).

b137680.png

4. Remove the 4 clips along the top of the bumper by getting a small screwdriver and prizing the centre part up and then pulling the entire clip out;

b136792.png

5. Remove the centre screw by pulling the rubber buffer off and undoing the screw;

b136791.png

6. Working underneath the car, remove the 6 bolts accross the front (4 of these will already be out if you have removed the XTR front protector) and the bolt either side just below the headlight;

b136793.png

From below, reach up and unplug the foglights. You do it by squeezing the clip on the connector but if you cannot get your hand in leave them for a few minutes!

The bumper is ready to come off at this stage. Get some masking tape and tape just above the bumper where it abuts the wing and the bottom of the headlights which are made from plastic. This is to prevent any scratching of the paint or plastic especially during refitting. Now get your mate positioned at one end of the bumper. You are the "bumper boss" so unless you trust them you do the following; Look at the picture and you will see that the bumper is clipped to the body in 4 places - 2 under each headlight;

b127932.png

You release the clips by easing pressure downwards to unhook the clip from the anchor (see the small inset picture). You can do it by hand pressure or easing the bumper down with a screwdriver but tape the blade to prevent it from damaging the paint. When you ease down pull slightly on the bumper and work accross to the second clip - the bumper will now come away from the body. Hold it just away but roughly in position and swap ends with your helper. Do the same at the other end of the bumper. The bumper is now free to come away onto your prepaired work area (the carpets or cloth positioned earlier). Ease the bumper away far enough that while one of you hangs onto the bumper, the other pops under to unplug those foglamps.

Now use the instructions to mark out and fix the front gaurd and under-run gaurd - easy. Check everything twice before drilling and try the two componenets to the body to make sure they look positioned right before fixing.

When replacing the bumper get your helper on site and offer the assembly back towards the front of the car remembering to pop those foglight connectors back. Carefully offer the bumper closer into position starting low and raising it to finally engage those 4 clips under the headlight. Starting low and lifting to the locating clips will reduce the chance of inadvertantly going above the tape and scratching anything! Before finally engaging those clips just get your helper to stand in the middle and hold the bumper in place while you have a quick look under the front to make sure the lower part of the bumper is correctly positioned and engaging the front under engine cover and the wheel arch liners. When happy go back and carefully coax the clips to engage under the headlights with the flat of your hand or fist. Now everything else is just refitting all the screws and clips.

The clips accross the front of the grill need the centre part pulling upwards. Drop them into the hole and then press the centre down flush to secure it. The ones from the radiator cover also need the centre raising as shown in the pictures from horn fitting. The plastic screw from each side of the lower bumper just screws or pushes in. The rubber buffer from the centre of the grill goes on by twisting it on after the screw is fitted.

You can stand back afterwards and admire while getting the satisfaction of it being done right and saving a lot of money. Kingo will supply the parts at a discounted price and ensure you have the right part for your car. It is no more complicated than fitting a washing machine or assembling a wardrobe and most would have a go at that so take your time, follow the instructions and enjoy yourself.

Regards

As per last post from anchorman that is what happend to me they fitted the nudgebar over the existing underrun guard???? why you ask i dont know but i will by close of buisness tomorrow..... :) seems like even the so called experts dont know and its trial by error .Been and took some quick photos hope this helps ..... Rav4New008.jpg

Rav4New006.jpgRav4New005.jpgRav4New004.jpg

As you can see it looks no too bad now after being back to uncle arnold for the second time however the gap on the internal edge of the under run guard is the prob it is supposed to be flush and butt up against black wrap round bit of bumper but still is not and shows about 10-12 mm gap so the only solution i can see is that they elongate the holes already there which would allow the bumper to move slightly inwards and close the gap .All totaled this is because of the fitting of the nudge bar over the top of the existing guard and drilling of the holes in the wrong place!!!!! SO BEWARE ANY XTR OWNER THINKING OF A NUDGE BAR

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links