Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla T Sport Out

T Sport 1978

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• T Sport 1978

• ae102

• fisel

• cabcurtains

whoa whoa whoa lads, as our friends in liverpool say 'calm down calm down' most points you make are pretty valid in my humble opinion..........but why are'nt people questioning a car tax system based on CO2 rating ..........surely its irrelivant the CO2 you put out....well compared with carsinergines (spelt wrong) and all the other nasties that come out of the exhaust........( and where does the tax go.....planting trees? i think not......benefits for scum im guessin, sorry rant over, back to the topic)

And as for the hot hatch debate, i just cant compare a diesel h/hatch to a petrol one, diesels are worlds apart in driving terms, diesels have their place, family cars, trucks, vans, but in my opinion they just are'nt fun, once you get over the power/torque surge that is. you only have to look at VW, Fiat etc to see the development cycle is done for the diesel........10 years ago vw got 150 bhp out of a 1.9 turbo....now they get 170 out of a 2.0.....petrol however (which has had no where near the development monies diesel technology has had) from fiat has jumped from a 1.4 turbo with 130 bhp (punto) putting out horrific CO2 to the new 150 bhp 1.4 turbo with similar CO2 to the 1.9 turbo log burner....proof that the good stuff is coming back!!!! their is just more scope for improvement with petrol, its a cleaner burning higher grade fuel.......sorry diesel lovers.....

lol @ this thread, bit too serious now lads. at the end of the day the CTS is a great car, the the auris T180/sr may well be a great car aswell.

dont yas think its a bit early to be slating each other, if the auris does as well as the CTS has in performance, sales and reliability etc etc, then can we compare the cars in years to come, bit too early if you ask me.

Yup diesel's are dead, you just can't make an exciting diesel.

Although........ Clicky

:drool:

lets face it, the only reason you buy a diesel is to save money.......VED, fuel, whatever your motive, it all boils down to saving money. no one buys the diesel alternative because its quicker (granted some manufacturers dont do powerful petrol versions of certain cars mainly so they meet emissions targets) or because its more fun. the best example i can think of is the range rover, tight people buy the tdv6/8 because they want the looks and use of a rangerover without the fuel bill, but for those who dont care bout the fuel they buy the supercharged version.

and as for the link above, the only reason audi are doing it is because they spent £100's of millions on diesel technology and to just use it on a race car would be a waste, they need exploit diesel while people are still under this illusion its clean!

i think we can all agree that ferrari, lambo etc are the ultimate drivers cars.....i dont see them at the derv pump do you?

Now im not diesel bashing, i think their great, i would buy one tomorrow if i did more than 10k a year but i dont, so il keep dipping my hand in my pocket every 200 miles and smiling through gritted teeth at the Shell garage cashier when they ask for £50. but the gritted teeth soon disapear when i fire the car up and scream it up to 8000rpm leaving no black smoke but a whole range of log burners behind in my toxic cloud of CO2!

lets face it, the only reason you buy a diesel is to save money.......VED, fuel, whatever your motive, it all boils down to saving money. no one buys the diesel alternative because its quicker (granted some manufacturers dont do powerful petrol versions of certain cars mainly so they meet emissions targets) or because its more fun. the best example i can think of is the range rover, tight people buy the tdv6/8 because they want the looks and use of a rangerover without the fuel bill, but for those who dont care bout the fuel they buy the supercharged version.

and as for the link above, the only reason audi are doing it is because they spent £100's of millions on diesel technology and to just use it on a race car would be a waste, they need exploit diesel while people are still under this illusion its clean!

i think we can all agree that ferrari, lambo etc are the ultimate drivers cars.....i dont see them at the derv pump do you?

Now im not diesel bashing, i think their great, i would buy one tomorrow if i did more than 10k a year but i dont, so il keep dipping my hand in my pocket every 200 miles and smiling through gritted teeth at the shell garage cashier when they ask for £50. but the gritted teeth soon disapear when i fire the car up and scream it up to 8000rpm leaving no black smoke but a whole range of log burners behind in my toxic cloud of CO2!

Crikey...That R8 has 800Nm of torque.

Granted, i totally had to go diesel due to the mileage i was doing, and i did say that if i didn't then i would have kept the T Sport as there was nothing wrong with it and was my pride and joy. But in the process of looking for the Auris i had learnt helluva lot about diesel and was taken back by how good they were (maybe it was just the Auris). I just couldn't understand the slating and name calling that followed thats all. :lol: Anyway, debate for petrol vs diesel will always be around.

I agree at the moment that diesel is not there with petrol yet, but see how far diesel has come over the past 5 years or so, don't be too surprised if/when diesel truly takes over.

As for the cleanliness of diesel, you will be very surprised how clean the Auris is...Not saying this as a biased owner, i was shocked when i test drove the car and when i asked the salesman to step on it hard whilst i was standing behind it... Absolutely nothing nasty came out of that pipe.

The Auris is one of my favourite diesel out there cause it is cheaper and more powerful than say a Golf 170. (Most are 2litre but the Auris is a 2.2) More important, there aren't many Auris around compare with the 1 series or VW group cars!

Compare with petrol, it uses less fuel and the power arrives much earlier---hence I think diesel makes a lot of sense if the car is use for transport and commuting. Unfortunately, compare with petrol cars, the rev range is narrower (Most diesel can't get past 5000rpm), the engine is heavier( More understeer) and the engine note sounds boring

For an outright sportscar, I still prefer a normally aspirated high revving engine

1. You have to work harder to assess the power---more rewarding as a result

2. The higher the revs, the better a petrol engine sounds---I don't think any current diesel sounds like a V8 from the F430 or Aston Martin Vantage, BMW M-Cars, AMG or a Porsche Flat six. Even our little t-sport sounds pretty racy above 6200rpm!

That's why I don't really think a diesel R8 will be a better drive than the current V8 R8 eventhough it might be a lot faster!

Interestingly, in Hong Kong and Singapore (Not sure about US), you cannot buy a diesel car for private transport even it emits less CO2. The reason is the microhydrocarbon from diesel engine can lead to smog; so increasing use of diesel is not a good idea for a densely populated city.

For those of you that crave a petrol sports Toyota and would not be seen dead in the SR/T180, I recently read Toyota are planning to bring back the Corolla Coupe next year based upon the new Subaru Imprezza. No good of course if you have need of 5 doors.

Edit: Think this is it,

http://benzs.blogspot.com/2008/01/toyota-a...olla-coupe.html

This debate will go on for years; one interesting point with modern diesels is how they get the black stuff to burn so cleanly. Since the development of common rail the engine is an amazing feat of technology, the only downside is the cost to replace this technology, if the fuel pump/ injector rail goes on a common rail diesel the replacement cost is scary. One of the police forces i work with had a Landcruiser that needed a new fuel pump it has 2 ecu's! The cost is over £3k. Modern diesels are fine for the 1st few owners but as they get older and stuff wears out, a petrol could be cheaper to run.

At a Fleet conference last year, it was said you need to do 18k per annum for a diesel to be cheaper to run than the equivalent petrol, this is due to higher purchase costs,higher fuel costs and slightly higher service costs.

I can see the positives & negatives of both as in our house we have the T-Sport and an Accord 2.2 Diesel.

have a look in the avensis forum if anyone out there is considering a t180 - they all seem to agree that its not a good engine. 36mpg :lol: - i get that in me t sport around town! diesel the future my ***** :lol:

have a look in the avensis forum if anyone out there is considering a t180 - they all seem to agree that its not a good engine. 36mpg :lol: - i get that in me t sport around town! diesel the future my ***** :lol:

The locals do seem a bit restless over there!

This rolla replaced a Focus TDCi, it was ok when it worked properly............ :angry:

The locals do seem a bit restless over there!

This rolla replaced a Focus TDCi, it was ok when it worked properly............ :angry:

some of them really seem to know there stuff on diesel motors and there was a common feeling that the economy is poor and the performance aint all that. i remember someone saying no more black smoke if everyone had a D-Cat. some guy on there explained why the d-cat engine produces smoke and it uses fuel to clear out soot :lol: i'm not saying oil companies and goverments have much influence over car makers! but diesel is cheaper to produce than petrol.... :lol: and now costs more.

Now im not diesel bashing, i think their great, i would buy one tomorrow if i did more than 10k a year but i dont, so il keep dipping my hand in my pocket every 200 miles and smiling through gritted teeth at the shell garage cashier when they ask for £50. but the gritted teeth soon disapear when i fire the car up and scream it up to 8000rpm leaving no black smoke but a whole range of log burners behind in my toxic cloud of CO2!

^^ best thing i read so far top man.

Diesels arent that bad, the new auris is quiet and it does move fairly rapid. Considering new cars are coming out diesels and not diesels they get faster and they have better emmisions...the t sport 190bhp is getting dated now lookat how much has come out newer technology in cars making them quicker new diesels are great they move well they arent as loud but end of the day its up to you and how your pocket performance. Id buy a diesel but id still keep a petrol regardless its what you need its what fulfills your requirements.

The avensis and Auris weighs alot more than the Corolla... So it will use more fuel anyway.

Avensis = 1380kg

Auris = 1450kg

Corolla = 1210kg

I am getting 40mpg average right now... last tank i did 460 miles with the same tank capacity as the TS.

Were you bullied as a child by someone who drove a diesel?

From ae102: parts king you are chatting your normal lindop rubbish

Thanks for that :2guns::2guns::2guns:

My ramblings on this thread are my own and I'm not sure what rubbish you are refering to? The T Sport and it's like, will not be seen for sometime to come, the green factor has taken the world over and I fear the days of petrol driven sports cars, built by Toyota are numbered, fact. Auris is a fine car, it has some shortcomings and early minor problems. The T180 is diesel and will never offer that "Lift" feeling of the T Sport, however, before you condem it to death, try one. It is a fine smooth engine with bags of torque, nothing like a petrol granted, but a Gardner 6 XL it isnt (An old fashioned truck diesel engine before the age of Scandinavian trucks)

PS ae102, Can you use a capital L in Lindops next time........ :nono:

Kingo :thumbsup:

auris is heavier than an avensis? i suppose it does have a fat ugly *****!

me - bullied :lol:

next you will be saying you cant tell its a diesel :lol: its evident you didnt consider your purchase and you are trying to convince others that its a good car. if you look at the comments of others with the same engine - even lexus drivers - they say its a poor engine and they where misled over figures and wouldnt buy another! it seems a lot had petrol before and say there is no advantage in owning one over the petrol equivelant. maintenance costs are also a lot more. thats from people who own them - they must all be narrow minded fools and you must be right.

auris is heavier than an avensis? i suppose it does have a fat ugly *****!

me - bullied :lol:

next you will be saying you cant tell its a diesel :lol: its evident you didnt consider your purchase and you are trying to convince others that its a good car. if you look at the comments of others with the same engine - even lexus drivers - they say its a poor engine and they where misled over figures and wouldnt buy another! it seems a lot had petrol before and say there is no advantage in owning one over the petrol equivelant. maintenance costs are also a lot more. thats from people who own them - they must all be narrow minded fools and you must be right.

Its comment like that that makes you come across as narrow minded, just because you don't like something that doesn't mean it's fine for you to cuss other's cars and be-little something that other's cherish. Now, i've spelt it out for your little brain, can you or can you not understand why you are a narrow minded, intellectually challenged and bullied-by-diesel-driver little man?

It's incredible how you time and time again and unashamedly let yourself on as a total !Removed!?

Back to the cars...

You will find that i made an educated choice on the Auris, and a choice that i do not regret infact to quite a contrary. The car is fine and i don't need other people on another forum to tell me that it is a fine car. Namely because i own it and experienced it, unlike you who needs 3rd hand information to make your opinions which is frankly, unimportant.

MPG -

Everybody knows that MPG figures are for guidance, everyone drives differently and why some are getting 36 and some getting 40MPG is enitrely down to how they drive. The fact that my car weighs 1450KG is performing better in economy than cars that weighs 100kg less is saying something... That i know how to drive economically and perhaps they don't. Can you differentiate that?

Maintenance cost -

If you have acutally bothered to ask Toyota before you rambled on something you had no facts on, my servicing is actually going to be cheaper than the TS.

Keep it coming, quite enjoying this rubbish vs reasoning thing with you, and how you just can't seem to stop yourself from revealing your stupidness.

fishing comes to mind - only thick creatures take bait. i have every right to "cuss" cars i dont like - especially when they limit my choice.

How small is your ***** :lol:

fishing comes to mind - only thick creatures take bait. i have every right to "cuss" cars i dont like - especially when they limit my choice.

How small is your ***** :lol:

:yawn:

There you are ignoring points again.

You ramble on and on and then forgets what you ramble on about once you're proven wrong, then you go on talking about people's libido. Obviously insecure...

How small is mine? Yet another remark that reflects poorly on you.

Anyway, to all people who are still bothered to read this.

I truly enjoyed the TS and will always love it, but the Auris is brill and hope that it stays that way. Sorry about the off topic stuff and i hope there will be more constructive stuff next time. :thumbsup:

lol when i want my day brightening up i read this topic :D

Glad you're enjoying it mate :D

trip to and from work

on Shell v-power

7 miles < 40 or in town, 12 miles 50mph a roads

47.3mpg

If i go for it most of the time i get 43mpg even at full pelt. Backed up by brim to brim calculations.

I correctly ran in my car, let it warm up and cool down and also dont drive it hard when cold. My oil is in good shape and i use good fuel. Maybe the people who get 36mpg either only town drive or they dont look after their cars.

40mpg? I'm sorry but for a car thats considered to have one of the most advanced diesel engines, thats pretty damn s**t. Since most of you switched to the Auris to save money of fuel it just doesnt seem to be worth in (well if I was any of you).

I'd much rather get a Fabia vrs with similar mileage, remap it and save 5 6k. This is faster than an Auris and still gives atleast 50mpp around town alone.

40mpg? I'm sorry but for a car thats considered to have one of the most advanced diesel engines, thats pretty damn s**t. Since most of you switched to the Auris to save money of fuel it just doesnt seem to be worth in (well if I was any of you).

I'd much rather get a Fabia vrs with similar mileage, remap it and save 5 6k. This is faster than an Auris and still gives atleast 50mpp around town alone.

Again, you are comparing a car that weigh just 1170kg and a class smaller than the Auris no wonder it looks sh*t compared to it.

But 40MPG for how i drive is pretty good i think, the main difference is that i am getting 200 miles a tank better than the Corolla whilst maintaining the same driving style. To me personally is a bonus.

Plus, its only been a week and a bit, still trying to find the sweet spots on things so give it time.

Again, you are comparing a car that weigh just 1170kg and a class smaller than the Auris no wonder it looks sh*t compared to it.

But 40MPG for how i drive is pretty good i think, the main difference is that i am getting 200 miles a tank better than the Corolla whilst maintaining the same driving style. To me personally is a bonus.

Plus, its only been a week and a bit, still trying to find the sweet spots on things so give it time.

What does weight have to do with anything? People generally buy diesels to save money on fuel. A car with a good diesel engine but weighs a ton is basically defeating its purpose, so weight is pretty much irrelevant.

My friend has had a vrs for about as long as i've had my tsport, his driving style is very harsh and he stills gets 50mpg in town. I happen to think it looks better too but thats a personal opinion.

Also, if you're getting just 40mpg but 200 miles to the tank more than your tsport, either you had a lemon or something was probably wrong with it your tsport.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links