Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Uk Supra Insurance.

Funkadelic

First off, can I just start by saying; :censor: :ffs: :censor:

Right then, please try not to laugh too much at my hopeless optimism!

I'm 20 with 2 years NCB, so I'll easily be able to get insured on a Supra... When Hell freezes over.

I really, really, REALLY love the Mk4* Supra (not because of its starring role in The Fast And The Furious, I might add) and would like to get one more or less the very minute I turn 21. At the moment I drive a Mk2 VW Golf Driver. It has a whopping four cylinder, carburetted, 1.6 litre engine - Hey, "there's no replacement for displacement" - And it's FWD so it goes without saying that I'll be keeping my license clean for a while yet.

I'd be happy if I could get my hands on one of the non-turbo variants to start with because I want a Supra that badly, and when i have the cash to afford the parts and the insurance, I really want to get hands on with the engine (I'm not the most mechanically-minded driver in the world but I'm learning all the time).

So, does anybody know if I'd even have a fleeting chance of being able to:

a ) Obtain a non-turbo Mk4 Supra.

b ) Insure it.

At the tender age of 21, with 3 years NCB and a fairly insurance-friendly postcode?

*I hope I got that right.

at 21 you'd get insurance on both the turbo'd and the n/a. Although i'd say insurance on a turbo will be approaching the £2000+ mark.. you may get n/a insurance for around £1200, expensive due to it being an import.

To be honest , get the n/a anyway as its a big leap going from a golf to a rwd TT supra in terms of driving ability.

Very true... I could imagine it being a rather large transition.

Fortunately my uncle has a quite nice Nissan 200SX S14 that he lets me take out round his local area. It's not strictly legal, but I do get some RWD experience from it although he tells me drifting is not allowed :eek:

As for Supra TTs being hugely powerful cars - That probably would put the frighteners on me a fair bit at first. If I end up being able to get insured on a TT model though, I might just end up doing the stupid thing and going for it.

Anybody wanna lend me theirs so I can have a go? :thumbsup:

Haha.

You'll probably find you can insure a UK Spec TT cheaper that what you can a jap import N/A.........Theres quite few young'ns these days with a TT, insurance wont be a problem depending on your budget.

But for gods sake be careful going from a golf to a supra.

It's OK - It won't be for a while yet so I'll make sure I get plenty of RWD experience in.

If it comes down to it I might even buy a really tatty 200SX from the 'Trader and just prattle about in it for a while. You can pick them up for under a grand, so it might be worth while.

I'm fully aware of all the nastyness associated with RWD and wet weather and so on!

Slightly off topic, does anybody know if it's possible to book skid training? I quite fancy something like that for my Birthday - It could come in useful and it'd be a bit of a bubble too.

Hi Funk

Well i have good news for you..... u prob wont believe me but it true

im 20 yrs old, 2yrs noclaims, 3yrs driving experience

and have a supra NA.

Firstly its true a TT UK supra is cheaper insurance, so can save you money in long run. Plus alot more people will insure u as well coz it aint a import.

My insurance is really good as well and prob pay as much as you do on ur golf...my insurance is a good few hundred less then £1500

tips for the insurance on these:

Do you drive company car? lowers insurance

Insured on another veichle? lowers it

Put ur mum as named driver, lowers it

Go with same insurance company as parents as that can lower it and if they have house insurance wit them even better!

Also helps if you happen to know the person on the phone and they take off there comission :P

I rang over 200 companies for the insurance and ranged up to £6000 a quote

I havent owned a rear wheel drive car before and am fine, just dont push too hard.

The car i owned before was a XR3i and before that XR2i so it is a change and be careful, hope this is some help to you

James

P.s Can pick up a supra for £5000 but it aint gonna be anything special mine was picked up for £8500

Yeah, apparently the N/A is more to insure with some companies- some use the excuse that it's rarer so parts are more expensive/difficult to get or whatever.

As for the import/Uk thing, tesco for one don't distinguish apparently. I paid £1200 for a standard TT and I'm 23. £1500 with mods declared. :)

:eek:

I think I'll stay out of that one :help:

But I am properly excited by this news... It's all looking good. I have half the cash I need saved up already and I still have eleven months before I get one (a good thing and a bad thing).

up here in shetland one of my mates has a 1994 supra tt,he pays £2700 fully comp,he has light mods(air filter and exhaust).insurance up here is pretty cheap due to there being no car crime.i have a modified starlet gt turbo and i pay £620 fully comp,i could get a sierra cosworth insured fully comp for £600 and a porsche 911 turbo for £1960 fully comp and a lamborghini diablo for £4850 fully comp! if only i had money! :hokus-pokus:

He he buy mine its a rare as you like aero top much classier motor LOL That way I can buy the TT I wish I had bought in first place.

Our insurance is only £450 through tesco's

My car is for sale

• 2 weeks later...

Ever since i first saw a Supra (Before the Fast and Furious came out) i fell in love with them.

Then i got out on the road and had to deal with insurance :ffs: :censor: :ffs:

I cant wait to get to about 23-25 (currently 19) then i can get my hands on one!!!

Ive got my own little Supra at the min(Paseo) so that will have to do for the time being. <_<

Good luck with getting yours. :thumbsup:

I own a 1991 Turbo Mk3 Supra and it costs me £209 fully comprehensive including all glass and protected NCB.

But then I have been driving nearly 23 yrs without a claim and an ex HGV1 artic driver...and female.

Age/experience really does have its advantages :P :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links