Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Looking For A Rav 4

Macmolly

I have today joined as a new member because have been looking for a Rav 4 for a while and can't decide what is best to get??

Hopefully someone can help me..........

Ideally dont want one older than 5 years and have read the GX/VX or on the newer ones the XT4/XT5 are the best to go for. Can anyone tell me what the differences are between these specs and also is the 2.0 diesel better or the petrol? Am wanting to keep this vehicle for a while so it needs to be the best I can get. It also has to be a 5 door version as am having a baby in 7 weeks. So I need to be able to get baby seat in and out easily etc........

Any help is much appreciated!!

Assuming you are looking at the 4.2 RAV4 i.e model prior to current and no older then 5 years, prob better forget the GX/VX - the youngest of those will be 03 plate, so 5 years old already.

The key differences I think are:

XT3 - got most of what people want - Electric windows all around, Air-Con, Sunroof, Steering wheel radio controls.

XT-R - adds Cruise control and tinted windows to XT3 spec

XT4 - adds leather and cruise to XT3 spec, maybe bluetooth? maybe CD Changer?

XT5 - adds Sat-Nav to XT4, def got CD-Changer

Not sure if any RAV4.2 models had climate control rather then basic A/C

FYI - I think the VX is the previous name for XT5 and the GX is the previous name for XT4.

Someone may have the original brochures they could post?

One thing which you will probably need to do is get another door strap for the rear door - it doesn't open fully and that could be very annoying. Don't let that put you off the RAV4 as a car though - a fix is available for about £50

One thing which you will probably need to do is get another door strap for the rear door - it doesn't open fully and that could be very annoying. Don't let that put you off the RAV4 as a car though - a fix is available for about £50

ooh do tell me more about the fix cause thats the only thing i dont like about my Rav

There are a few links on here about it and it is the first thing I did when I bought my car.

basically, you buy a longer checkstrap from a source - I got mine from eBay, I think Kingo can also provide - and just take off old one and fit new new and it allows door to open fully. An easy job to fit as well :thumbsup:

It is only the UK (and Ireland?) cars that have this short link - claimed reason is that if the door was to open fully the offside rear light is blocked by the spare wheel.

Personally, I put a load of reflective red and silver tape on the bit of the door that would be facing the traffic in this situationwhen door open just as a precaution.]

Try this eBay search .... http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trk...rav4+Checkstrap

I think Kingos price is better though :)

ooh do tell me more about the fix cause thats the only thing i dont like about my Rav

Done it on my 4.2 its only a 5 minute job. :thumbsup:

Assuming you are looking at the 4.2 RAV4 i.e model prior to current and no older then 5 years, prob better forget the GX/VX - the youngest of those will be 03 plate, so 5 years old already.

XT3 - got most of what people want - Electric windows all around, Air-Con, Sunroof, Steering wheel radio controls.

XT4 - adds leather and cruise to XT3 spec, maybe Bluetooth? maybe CD Changer?

FYI - I think the VX is the previous name for XT5 and the GX is the previous name for XT4.

The XR-R is a great buy if you are going for a 4.2. It adds privacy glass, extension wheel arches, auto dipping mirror,

climate control, cruise control, dont know about XT-3 but also has VSC, traction control, leather steering wheel

and if your lucky leather upholstery. Definitely the one I would go for. :thumbsup:

XT4 - adds leather and cruise to XT3 spec, maybe Bluetooth? maybe CD Changer?

The XR-R is a great buy if you are going for a 4.2. It adds privacy glass, extension wheel arches, auto dipping mirror,

climate control, cruise control, dont know about XT-3 but also has VSC, traction control, leather steering wheel

and if your lucky leather upholstery. Definitely the one I would go for. :thumbsup

Make contact with Parts King, a large Toyota agent in Wrexham, Chester and Queensferry. Often gives very sound advice in this forum, and I believe they have a good stock of series 2 models at the moment. I have owned to Ravs both diesel series 2 and series 3. You will get an extra 18 m.p.g. by buying the diesel, and they are extremely nippy. Good luck

We have the RAV check straps in stock here

We also have about 15 RAV's in stock RAV STOCK here Click on approved used cars Queensferry and also try the opposite picture, approved used cars Wrexham where there are about 9 in stock, the stock changes regularly

Kingo :thumbsup:

thanks for advice, have been out today looking and test drove a diesel XT3 4-4d on an 04 plate, was pleasantly suprised by its handling and speed especially as I currenlty drive a Lotus Elise.

Thanks again for your help, keep me informed of any other things I may need to know about or look out for. Now I just need to go through the classifieds and find one I like. :D

Thanks again for your help, keep me informed of any other things I may need to know about or look out for. Now I just need to go through the classifieds and find one I like. :D

It is only the UK (and Ireland?) cars that have this short link - claimed reason is that if the door was to open fully the offside rear light is blocked by the spare wheel.

Just for info, Irish models (of the Rav4, I mean, of course!) don't have the annoying short door strap. Both my 4.3 and my better half's 4.2 open all the way to 90 deg :rolleyes:

So..... Irish Models go all the way ;)

I'm off to book a flight to Dublin :D

Jitty may well have a 07 T180 with only 9050 miles on the clock for sale soon. Im told he will accept any reasonable offer !!!!! See thread started 5/7/08

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I have today joined as a new member because have been looking for a Rav 4 for a while and can't decide what is best to get??

Ideally dont want one older than 5 years and have read the GX/VX or on the newer ones the XT4/XT5 are the best to go for. Can anyone tell me what the differences are between these specs and also is the 2.0 diesel better or the petrol? Am wanting to keep this vehicle for a while so it needs to be the best I can get. It also has to be a 5 door version as am having a baby in 7 weeks. So I need to be able to get baby seat in and out easily etc........

Hi Macmolly,

We've just joined as new members to look for selling advice as sadly we are selling our 2001 Rav4 GX (2ltr petrol, 16valve). It's had to go as we've "invested" in a 4x4 camper van instead, for holiday adventures! If you are at all interested we've had it for a very happy 3 years and kept it well-serviced. It runs beautifully and has proved extremely safe in wintry snow conditions (we live on top of a hill in north Derbyshire).

Last summer took it camping to eastern France and it was extremely comfortable, both on motorways and tiny country lanes. Being a five door you've got loads of space and we also bought the Toyota locking roof bars for it (although we've never had to use them - it's got so much space in a compact 4x4 body). The rear seats remove completely in approximately 1 - 2 minutes without any tools required turning it into a 2-seater "station wagon".

It's been the best car we've ever had but the lure of a classic camper was too much. We bought it 3 years ago for £10.5k and its now up for £4.5k. We've put it on eBay today but if you're interested feel free to email us - steveandbec.curtis@googlemail.com

Cheers, Steve Best of luck with your looking otherwise.

Jitty may well have a 07 T180 with only 9050 miles on the clock for sale soon. Im told he will accept any reasonable offer !!!!! See thread started 5/7/08

:lol::lol:

We have now picked up the T180 and have to say its a great drive. Good handling for a 4x4 and brilliant spec.

I know we've not had it long but if you can live with the run flats ( don't mention them on this site :rolleyes: ) then the T180 is excellent.

Good luck with your search.

Hi Macmolly,

We've just joined as new members to look for selling advice as sadly we are selling our 2001 Rav4 GX (2ltr petrol, 16valve). It's had to go as we've "invested" in a 4x4 camper van instead, for holiday adventures! If you are at all interested we've had it for a very happy 3 years and kept it well-serviced. It runs beautifully and has proved extremely safe in wintry snow conditions (we live on top of a hill in north Derbyshire).

Last summer took it camping to eastern France and it was extremely comfortable, both on motorways and tiny country lanes. Being a five door you've got loads of space and we also bought the Toyota locking roof bars for it (although we've never had to use them - it's got so much space in a compact 4x4 body). The rear seats remove completely in approximately 1 - 2 minutes without any tools required turning it into a 2-seater "station wagon".

It's been the best car we've ever had but the lure of a classic camper was too much. We bought it 3 years ago for £10.5k and its now up for £4.5k. We've put it on eBay today but if you're interested feel free to email us - steveandbec.curtis@googlemail.com

STEVENDBEC

Quite keen on the m/home scene myself, what model do you have please that has 4 w.d. ???

Hi Macmolly,

STEVENDBEC

Quite keen on the m/home scene myself, what model do you have please that has 4 w.d. ???

Hi John,

We've got a 1987 VW T25 (or T3) Syncro hi-top camper conversion. VW commisioned Austrian co Steyr-Daimler-Puch to build these 4x4 vans between 1985 and 1992 and the RHD models are pretty rare. There's loads of internet info on them including some great footage if you check out Syncro 4x4 on Youtube. They have a full 4wheel drive with front and rear diff locks, and a viscous coupling connecting rear-engined drive through to front diff.

Cheers, Steve

Hi Macmolly,

STEVENDBEC

Hi John,

We've got a 1987 VW T25 (or T3) Syncro hi-top camper conversion. VW commisioned Austrian co Steyr-Daimler-Puch to build these 4x4 vans between 1985 and 1992 and the RHD models are pretty rare. There's loads of internet info on them including some great footage if you check out Syncro 4x4 on Youtube. They have a full 4wheel drive with front and rear diff locks, and a viscous coupling connecting rear-engined drive through to front diff.

Cheers, Steve

Thnx Steve; very interesting.

John

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links