Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2000 Celica Vvti 140bhp Loud Knock- No Oil

JamesSamain

Hi i bought my 2000 Celica VVti 140bhp 2 weeks ago.

2 Nights ago, it all of a sudden began making a bad knocking noise after 2700rpm.

I drove it 4 miles home slow and very low revs.

Yesterday morning, checked oil and was bone dry. (yes i know i should of checked oil when i bought it, silly me!)

Anyway took it to a garage, who filled it with oil (took 2 large jugs to get it up to the line)

And started it, noise was exact same.

Guy in garage said It would be the Main Crank Bearing i think he called it and said it is unfixable and requires a new engine.

However i have looked around and also been told it could be the chain?

Has anyone ever had this problem and what is the best/ cheapest way to fix it.

Also what will happen if i continue to drive it with the noise as it is?

How long will it last as it is?

Thanks

2 Nights ago, it all of a sudden began making a bad knocking noise after 2700rpm.

Yesterday morning, checked oil and was bone dry. (yes i know i should of checked oil when i bought it, silly me!)

Anyway took it to a garage, who filled it with oil (took 2 large jugs to get it up to the line)

Guy in garage said It would be the Main Crank Bearing i think he called it and said it is unfixable and requires a new engine.

Thanks

letting it run dry like that has probably caused quite a bit of damaged, but you wont know what until the engine is stripped down, i think i would take the garages advice, i would not trust driving it as it as, just remember next time check you're oil every week or so

Prob not going to like this, but the there is a manufacturing defect with the prefaclift 140... which causes the engine to consume excessive oil.

If the car was under 7 years and 100k miles toyota would prob have fixed this for you for free... however as you no longer qualify the minimum you are looking at is the shells needing replacing - £500 odd worth of work.... worse case scenario its a new engine.

Think there is a guy here.. fazzer you can pm and may be able to fix this for you.

Did you buy it privately or trade? if trade may be worth trying the place you got it from, cars should come with a 1 month warranty... however this could be classed as user neglects as you let the oil run out.

Agree with both above posts, hopefully you will be able to get away with having the Crank reground and oversized Bearings fitted, but the Oil consumption inherent problem will still be there. I'd be contacting the seller immediately unless you bought privately.

I'd be contacting the seller immediately unless you bought privately...

... And his reply will be “Did you check the oil?” It’s no ones fault but your own I’m afraid, it’s like driving with a flat tyre and asking for a new wheel because it’s buckled and scored. Driving it 4 miles with no oil didn’t do the engine any favours!

I'd be contacting the seller immediately unless you bought privately...

... And his reply will be “Did you check the oil?” It’s no ones fault but your own I’m afraid, it’s like driving with a flat tyre and asking for a new wheel because it’s buckled and scored. Driving it 4 miles with no oil didn’t do the engine any favours!

That would depend on whether the Car comes under the "fit for purpose" ruling. It must have used a lot of Oil in just two weeks, so the inherent Oil loss fault was obviously there when the Car was sold. If you were buying from a Dealer, wouldn't you expect the Oil level to be checked and topped up if necessary before you took delivery?

It can be fixed if you can get it down to chester.can do you a good price.Pm me if interested

It can be fixed if you can get it down to chester.can do you a good price.Pm me if interested

Do you reckon it would make it as far as chester??

it still drives perfect if kept under 2600 rpm, infact it drives perfect over that, just makes the horrible noise!

anyway would i be best to put a 2005 1zz engine in it, or do the newer ones have same problem.

Ive been quoted £620 for a fully reconditioned engine, and £250 to fit.

Id prefer to just fix the one i have.

I bought it privately.

Do you reckon it would make it as far as chester??

it still drives perfect if kept under 2600 rpm, infact it drives perfect over that, just makes the horrible noise!

anyway would i be best to put a 2005 1zz engine in it, or do the newer ones have same problem.

Ive been quoted £620 for a fully reconditioned engine, and £250 to fit.

Id prefer to just fix the one i have.

I bought it privately.

it would make it to chester on the back of a transporter :P

Thanks

The Shell bearings normally go after the engine has starved of oil.

Can the 190 engine be put straight into the the 140 model without issue

yes, need a new ECU and wiring loom from a VVTLi..... and the gearbox is also different, but a 140 gearbox will work with a 190... just the 190 box is closer ration making it more suitable for the higher revving VVTLi

Thanks

Thanks for all your help guys.

the Shell bearings?

basically what will happen, is it going to sieze? blow up? what will happen?

and when is it likely to happen?

Its booked in toyota on monday to tell me what is definately wrong.

they say £2000 for brand new engine including fitting. Or £870 fitted for a fully reconed engine.

Or toyoa say they will strip my engine for £400 plus whatever parts it needs.

Thanks

Thanks for all your help guys.

the Shell bearings?

basically what will happen, is it going to sieze? blow up? what will happen?

and when is it likely to happen?

Its booked in toyota on monday to tell me what is definately wrong.

they say £2000 for brand new engine including fitting. Or £870 fitted for a fully reconed engine.

Or toyoa say they will strip my engine for £400 plus whatever parts it needs.

It should make it if you take it steady,the recon from toyota wont be fully recond,just the short block and even that isnt fully recond.It will definately be the big end bearings and possibly the crank bearings if you ran it completely dry.As for what and when things happen,you can never tell when but keep the oil topped up if you are driving it about.hope this helps

• 4 months later...

Thanks

How did you get on with this problem?

basicaly if its knocking as bad as it sounds then you run the risk of throwing a rod which will destroy the bottom end and also damage the head.

the rods may be beyond repair now any way as may the crank, id be going for another engine if it was me

guy in garage is probably right

celica 140,s avensis 1.8, rav,s and corolla,s are all the same

they love a drink of oil to themselves i,ve known this to happen to many

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links