Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Oil Grade Do You Use In Your T180?

OldSkoO1

There aren't many auris T180 owners that have done enough miles to top up oil or service so i thought i'd ask here.

Book says 5W/30 but the dealers are using Shell 10W/30 (or 40 - i forgot); cheaper etc.

I've had 2 oil changes now, both with the wrong thicker oil and i'm pondering on whether to change it myself. Wondered what T180 owners are using here?

Thanks,

There aren't many auris T180 owners that have done enough miles to top up oil or service so i thought i'd ask here.

Book says 5W/30 but the dealers are using shell 10W/30 (or 40 - i forgot); cheaper etc.

I've had 2 oil changes now, both with the wrong thicker oil and i'm pondering on whether to change it myself. Wondered what T180 owners are using here?

Thanks,

I've got a Toyota branded 5W/30 to top up with (it was a thank you gift!) and I think most owners of both 2.2 engines on here are using 5W/30.

Anchorman is resident oil expert and he can advise you on what's best :)

Book says 5W/30 but the dealers are using shell 10W/30 (or 40 - i forgot); cheaper etc.

Thanks,

I use 5W/30 in my RAV T180 - at the first service the dealer was going to put in 10W until I reminded him that Toyota reccomended 5W - they still left a complimentary litre of 10W in the car!

I am sure Anchorman will be able to give you much more detail. I bet your Auris T180 really flies.

best wishes

Guy

Cheers both,

Thats what i feared; book does say 5W/30 for my engine and i questioned the service manager at 20k and he said 10w/30 and said that is what they always use. We know why :)

Problem is swapping to a different grade after 20k of run in.

well my dealer told me to use Mobil's 0w-40 fully synthetic

in my T180 rav4

I think that might be Mobil 1 (or latest version) - I used that in my Jensen Intercepter SP very good oil but not cheap - be very interesting to see how many miles per litre of oil you use.

Guy

Well!

If you look at the the attached service data sheet you will see that the oil spec is (the diesel oil change data is on the last page);

G-DLD-1 or API grade CF-4, CF

(API CE or API CD may also -used)

rav_service.pdf

(FTV = 140 engine and FHV = 180 engine)

In other words they do not specify viscosity here but if you look now to the manual you will see this chart;

oilspec2.jpg

Here you can see that the "preferred" viscosity is 5W/30 and for most cases this is best but lets put things into perspective. As long as you use oil from the recommended temperature range then it would be difficult to say that the oil you are using is wrong. However, it is widely accepted that lower viscosity oils are less prone to contributing to piston ring problems and gumming/emulsifying. It is a misconception that thicker oil provides more protection or "gap filling" qualities as in fact the tolerances in these engines are extremely fine and thinner oil gets around it more quickly (like modern microbore central heating systems)

Now add to this the potential there is for excessive oil consumption and EGR sticking and the argument would probably move towards lower viscosity oil and definitely high grade diesel. This is not scare mongering and if you look at the attached TSB you will see that engines before chassis No 5026556 (Made in the Tahara Plant) or 6036997 (Made in the Shokki Plant) can only be recovered by fitting new pistons and rings once these problems have been allowed to manifest themselves.

4.3_excessive_oil_consumption.pdf

4.3_piston_ring_and_EGR_inspection_and_replacement.pdf

The message is REGULAR OIL CHANGES WITH GOOD QUALITY OIL AND HIGH GRADE DIESEL.

I have attached the oil change process here and although the sump guard may differ the process is exactly the same for the Auris;

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=81467

Do not be afraid to change oil viscosity at any stage in the life of the engine. In practice fully synthetic oils tend to cling more and can pass into the upper cylinder adding to consumption as well as prolonging bedding. There are some advantages in using them in terms of prolonging engine life especially at very high temperatures but it would be hard to quantify these if you are changing the oil frequently. TBH when I read about potential new RAV owners pondering about buying new or second hand there may be a very good argument in getting the latest build which has had all the initial gremlins engineered out.

Thank you anchorman

Lots of really good info there

:)

• 4 months later...

in my T180 rav4

I think that might be Mobil 1 (or latest version) - I used that in my Jensen Intercepter SP very good oil but not cheap - be very interesting to see how many miles per litre of oil you use.

Guy

Ummm could not tell you how much per litre of oil used , but one thing i do know is it go's thought it fast!

in my T180 rav4

Guy

Ummm could not tell you how much per litre of oil used , but one thing i do know is it go's thought it fast!

In the 6000 miles or so since it had it's first sevice in March this year the level, which was about 1/8th inch above the full mark with 5w-30 by the dealer, has not gone down at all - Anchorman did check my VIN number and confirmed that my engine has had one of the oil reducing use mods when built - I am not sure which.

Guy

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links