Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Run Flat Tyre Question

wardude

Hi all

These run flat tyres on the T180!!!!! Would it be a better option that when the tyres need replaced, to just replace them with normal tyres and carry one of those puncture kits? You know those bottles that inflates your flat tyre and allows you to drive to a garage?? At least you wont have a job trying to find a garage that can get one of the run flat tyres. Just a thought. im probably totally wrong like lol

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wardude

• dave.m

• anchorman

• MarsKy

Hi all

These run flat tyres on the T180!!!!! Would it be a better option that when the tyres need replaced, to just replace them with normal tyres and carry one of those puncture kits? You know those bottles that inflates your flat tyre and allows you to drive to a garage?? At least you wont have a job trying to find a garage that can get one of the run flat tyres. Just a thought. im probably totally wrong like lol

You're totally right. And others have done so - just scroll down the topics.

Im right?? Blimey lol thats a first. Wait till I tell the missus.

Cheers for the heads uppal

Just watch out what you're replacing though.

Other have put "normal" tyres on, others have replaced the normal tyre and wheel set.

And you have a tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS) sensor on the valve - so a straight swap for another tyre might damage the sensor unless done carefully. Or using the bottles to get you going after a puncture will probably muck up the wheel and destroy the sensor.

And getting the tyre and/ or the support ring off brings problems. Some tyre suppliers won't remove the ring, some want a disclaimer signed, others have went ahead and used a grinder on them.

So you can get rid of them, but there are caveats. I think someone recently got normal tyres on a new set of alloys for about £800. In the long run, this is probably the sensible way to go.

blimey what a faff eh. I found these ones.

http://www.tyre-shopper.co.uk/ts/search/ty...ode=2355518BR1H

doesent seem to bad. Certainly not as pricey as I thought. I had a Vectra and the tyresd on that were £150 for half decent ones.

Mist folk seem to go for the General Grabbers and are happy with them, e.g. £107.50 from mytyres.co.uk

I think that might be the non run flat version of the tyre which is now installed on the SR :wacko:

I'm not sure whether the tyres are fully interchangeable

I think that might be the non run flat version of the tyre which is now installed on the SR :wacko:

Bought one recently, its the same Dueller fitted as standard across the range I think. (unless you got the Yokohamas).

just checked with them and that tyre is deffo RUN FLAT. So I take it if you buy these tyres and wander down to your local Kwik Fit etc, they will be reluctant to fit this type of tyre???

[

Mist folk seem to go for the General Grabbers and are happy with them, e.g. £107.50 from mytyres.co.uk

Less than £90 each if you buy four with event-tyres when I looked the other day.

I think someone recently got normal tyres on a new set of alloys for about £800. In the long run, this is probably the sensible way to go.

That'll be me :) Photos in this thread or the photos thread (sticky at top of forum)

I think someone recently got normal tyres on a new set of alloys for about £800. In the long run, this is probably the sensible way to go.

That'll be me :) Photos in the photos in this thread or the photos thread (sticky at top of forum)

And a very good choice too.

I'll probably be doing the same myself as it would be easier finding a replacement RFT on St Kilda during an Easter weekend than trying to get a test-drive of the new Kia Sorento.

As an aside, I also noticed the local Toyota dealer doing a "promotional" on OEM parts, selling them at trade price if you took them away and did your own repair, i.e. I think the workshop might be a wee bit too busy handling recalls for other work.

so am I right in thinking that most run of the mill tyre fitters (kwik fit) etc, wont fit these RF tyres? OR is it just they have a problem sourcing them, fitting them isnt a problem? Bit worried now lol, maybe the T180 was a bad idea

so am I right in thinking that most run of the mill tyre fitters (kwik fit) etc, wont fit these RF tyres? OR is it just they have a problem sourcing them, fitting them isnt a problem? Bit worried now lol, maybe the T180 was a bad idea

If you read from post 114 onward on this thread -

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...yres&st=100

it gives a list of independants who can fit the run flats (dont know how current it now is) :thumbsup:

ta mate

I also read that Bridgestone tyres dont have this support ring, they just have reinforced sidewalls. Does this mean changing the tyre shouldent be a problem to the normal tyre fitter??

cheers

Shaun

ta mate

I also read that Bridgestone tyres dont have this support ring, they just have reinforced sidewalls. Does this mean changing the tyre shouldent be a problem to the normal tyre fitter??

cheers

Shaun

If you are looking at a T180 with Bridgestone run flats, it definitely has the support ring :yes::yes:

just spoke to the local tyre fitter and he says he doesent see why you cant just put normal tyrs on these wheels when the run flats are dead???? he says the tyre pressue saftey valve is just a pressure monitor and it wont make any difference to the type of tyre being used??? OR are the 18 inch wheels on the Rav only capapble of taking a run flat tyre?? BUGGER im so confused now and annoyed. Tempted to ring the dealer and cancel the car

just spoke to the local tyre fitter and he says he doesent see why you cant just put normal tyrs on these wheels when the run flats are dead???? he says the tyre pressue saftey valve is just a pressure monitor and it wont make any difference to the type of tyre being used??? OR are the 18 inch wheels on the Rav only capapble of taking a run flat tyre?? BUGGER im so confused now and annoyed. Tempted to ring the dealer and cancel the car

My own personal point of view, the T180 is a belter. Dont let the cr^p tyre situation put you off, I wouldn't.

But, come the time to buy tyres, dump the run flat tyres and wheels (sell them on ebay) and fit standard

wheels/tyres. A member called syvy done this recently (thread still currently on front page) at a cost of

£800. Now go enjoy your T180 and make me jealous :thumbsup:

see link -

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...howtopic=105983

thanks for the confidence boost pal. :rolleyes:

So can i not fit normal tyres to the current wheels????

thanks again for all the help. Much appreciated

thanks for the confidence boost pal. :rolleyes:

So can i not fit normal tyres to the current wheels????

thanks again for all the help. Much appreciated

Some members have had the support ring removed and fitted normal tyres. But it seems to be a gray area

wether these wheels should be used with normal tyres. There may also be insurance and warranty issues.

Time to ring the dealer and cancel methinks.

thanks for all the help mate

Well if you do cancel your purchase of a T180 you will be missing out on a superb vehicle just for a worry about the chance of a puncture!

On balance the good performance and goodies installed of the T180 outways the run flat worries and it is a good safety aspect - having had two high speed motorway blow outs in the past they are not pleasant and there are more vehicles to avoid when trying to get to the hard shoulder on the motorways now.

I now rate my T180 as the second best vehicle I have ever had - over 43, not counting my wife's cars.

The very best was a Sierra 2.9 XR 4x4 - incredibly fast, handled like a dream, great in snow, never failed to get me home across the High Peak from Sheffield every day and did over 400,000 miles between myself and my son.

I, of course, do think Toyota could do more to ensure every dealer who has the equipment to change runflats has to keep a stock of tyres available.

Guy

heres the reply from the dealer addressing my concern

It is never a problem to a Toyota dealer to source and fit these replacement tyres, they've been supplying them on these cars for years. If you get a puncture then a run flat means you can drive for miles on it anyway so you might aswell take it to a Toyota dealer that can sort it straight away. The tyres are made of much stronger stuff anyway so punctures are a rare thing to be honest. Local tyre places will find it difficult as they won't have the correct equipment to deal with them. If you fit normal tyres and you get a puncture then you haven't got a spare wheel with these cars anyway so you'll have an even bigger problem.

my worry is having a puncture, then not be able to find somone to change the tyre at a reasonable cost. Some folk on here said there car was away 3 days getting a new tyre fitted. then theres the cost to go with it. ie labour

just rang e tyres and they wont touch the ravs tyres

Time to ring the dealer and cancel methinks.

thanks for all the help mate

Well if you do cancel your purchase of a T180 you will be missing out on a superb vehicle just for a worry about the chance of a puncture!

On balance the good performance and goodies installed of the T180 outways the run flat worries and it is a good safety aspect - having had two high speed motorway blow outs in the past they are not pleasant and there are more vehicles to avoid when trying to get to the hard shoulder on the motorways now.

I now rate my T180 as the second best vehicle I have ever had - over 43, not counting my wife's cars.

The very best was a Sierra 2.9 XR 4x4 - incredibly fast, handled like a dream, great in snow, never failed to get me home across the High Peak from Sheffield every day and did over 400,000 miles between myself and my son.

I, of course, do think Toyota could do more to ensure every dealer who has the equipment to change runflats has to keep a stock of tyres available.

Guy

Have to agree with Guy here, I would still buy it. My own model Rav (XT-R) has no spare either. Though I dont have run flats,

it comes with a repair kit. I did however, buy an aftermarket wheel and tyre, which I keep in my boot.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links