Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gen3 Prius recall letter

johalareewi

Received a recall letter today for my 2009 gen3 Prius (which I no longer have).  It was to address problems with airbags and charcoal fuel filter.

Is this just for original gen3 prius or does it include the facelift model too?

Depends on the VIN.

Hi Johal,

i have to say I was aware of this recall some months ago & like you I no longer own my Gen3. However, unlike you, I've never received a letter off Toyota. I would imagine the new Gen4 would have had this sorted before they went on sale in the UK, well I hope so, since my new Prius was ordered well after I heard about this recall. 

1 hour ago, johalareewi said:

Received a recall letter today for my 2009 gen3 Prius (which I no longer have). ...

It was only very recently that you upgraded to the Plug-In - I doubt that the DVLC data (as it is a "recall") will have had the new owner when the data was passed to Toyota. DVLA and Toyota's data will eventually catch up, but I doubt they would do another mailshot. 

Rather than waiting until the old car next appears on Toyota's radar (for servicing?), it might be a favour to the new owner to try and make him/her aware. Certainly, if it went as a p/x to a dealer, the least you could do is to make them aware that there is (now) a recall applying to that vehicle, and let them take it from there. 

There is an option on the recall letter to notify Toyota of the new owner if the car has been sold.  Either online or using a freepost envelope supplied.  I have done this but I guess the dealer no longer has the car (they said it would go to auction).

Any new owner can use Toyota's recall checker to check for outstanding recalls or customer service campaigns

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Any new owner can use Toyota's recall checker to check for outstanding recalls or customer service campaigns

Yeah - but not all new owners are as keenly interested in their cars as us lot on here, so it should be Toyotas' responsibilty to search them out if a safety issue is involved.

And I still haven't received my recall letter yet - probably gone to the previous owner.....

35 minutes ago, Duffryn said:

Yeah - but not all new owners are as keenly interested in their cars as us lot on here, so it should be Toyotas' responsibilty to search them out if a safety issue is involved.

Not realistic - if its a safety recall the system is that DVSA arrange for DVLA to supply the details of registered owners, and under data protection Toyota, or any other car manufacturer, won't have access to any other way of contacting owners. If the DVLA data isn't up to date, that's it.

Hardly what you could call a foolproof system then. I could be driving around in a car that's subject to a safety recall but know nowt about it.

Although, is it encumbent on Toyota dealers to check that all recalls are up to date on each car they have in their shops to work on?

The same system applies to all manufacturers within the UK, whether it is a Toyota, Ford, VW, etc, but no system is foolproof. The system is there to notify owners of recalls, and owners share the responsibility to get recall and similar work done on vehicles. Unfortunately no-one can force owners to have work done. 

In fact there are TOC members who have said they won't have the airbag recalls done due to concerns over damage to dashboards, re-assembly issues, etc.

Aah, thanks Frosty, I hadn't looked at it from that angle. The outstanding recall on my car could be due to the previous owner not bothering or declining the offer then. Presumably Toyota records (which my dealer should have access to) would be able to inform me on any outstanding recall work required.

Would have thought so

• Like 1

I just had the email and a letter from Toyota regarding this recall for my previous Prius+ that I traded last March when I got the Gen 4. Puzzled me as it's nearly 7 months since I traded it. Even more puzzling is that checking on the DVLA VED status website, it's still not taxed and the MOT just expired, I wonder what the dealer did with it ?

If the recalls are regarding the Takata airbag recalls, these are taking time to work through purely due to the variety of car mnanufacturers and very large numbers of vehicles involved. 

Are these latest letters/e-mails follow up communications to earlier letters?

I just got my letter for a 2011 '61 plate' Gen 3 Prius. Seems like this is affecting cars over a number of years. My letter refers to a risk of fire in the vehicle!

The Toyota Uk online recall checker seems to be broken.  :(

5 hours ago, johalareewi said:

perhaps there is a recall for it!   ;)

34 minutes ago, PeteB said:

perhaps there is a recall for it!   ;)

Nah, not that quick!

7 hours ago, johalareewi said:

Why do you say that ?

It has been displaying the following error message for most of the day - "Sorry, an error occurred and your request could not be processed. Please try again later."

• Like 1

Hi,

I too received my letter last week for my 2010 Prius and upon telephoning my local Toyota dealer they mentioned that they have no specific start date as to when they can carry out the recall work. Being as I work shift patterns along with a busy job, I can't see if getting fixed anytime soon if they cannot at least provide me with a estimated date for work to begin.

I guess I'm not the only one in line for this work to be done!

If your vehicle is one of those included in the Takata airbag recall, bear in mind that car manufacturers, of which there are approx 15 or more affected, are reliant on Takata supplying the replacement inflators.

As at May 2016, approx 53 million vehicles globally are affected by these recalls. 

Nah!  You've probably moved up the list a few dozen by now  :biggrin:

On 10/10/2016 at 11:37 AM, johalareewi said:

And today Firefox says this about the toyota UK website

The owner of www.toyota.co.uk has configured their web site improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this web site.