Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

K&n Typhoon

CorollaTS05

wow you guys dont lie these sound AMAZING the last thousand revs is top!. it does feel a tad quicker now too.

few questions for use:

1. will i be looking at 200bhp now?

2. its tight for the maf sensor to reach, can any garage lengthen the cable for me?

3. what do you do with the bits what screw onto the front of the air box (atm its held on by the same screw holding the maf sensor down, botch up i know.)

4. should there have originally been a bracket with the filter as there is a hole underneath it? do i need this bracket?

Got it off eBay for £86 minty condition just no bracket, id say bargain... itsa botched up atm resting in the bottom of the stock air box as there is no bracket, will it be okay with no bracket when i remove the air box, support wise? if theres a fitting guide anywhere on here that wud b top, cheers

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• farhanali89

• -T- Sport

• Energo

• Norfolk n Chance

some get 200bhp yes .

lengthen the cables yourself . get 5 amp speaker wire and a solder iron its so simple to do yourself.

yes there should be a bracket but apparetly it will stay there on its own . um you need the instructions really .i could photo copy mine and send them on monday if you like .

great sounding induction,

Some will argue with me on this

1. Nope you will not hit 200bhp.....maybe 1-2, I have yet to see a 2zz-ge on a accurate dyno without correction figures hit over 195 at the fly with just an induction kit drop in.

2. You will need to extend the maf cables, toyota part number: 82998-12440

you will need 4. You can take it to an experienced auto electrical tech and have him do the work but it is simple, Look towards the connector, pull out the white plastic board towards you and that will release the wires from the back of the harness, Cut at the edges splice the wire to leave some bare and then solder your new wires on properly. The new wires wil have the correct connectors on the end to plug back into the plug. Slot the white connector in and its good to go. I can take pics tomorow if need be.

3. The two small screws you used on the old airbox are the correct ones for the maf to typhoon. But i think you should get them in the kit.

4. There should be a bracket with that kit but alot of people dont use this simply because of the common typhoon bracket snapping problem. Best advise is to in this case get a custom bracket made you should have got it with the kit but it seems you didnt. Or what i have done for the past year just tighten it properly near the throttle body and it will be fine.

cheers pal u always answer my q's lol! i have the instructions with it thanks but there pretty small, just wondering if anyone has done a how to? might make a bracket to go from the Battery bolt down and to screw under the filter or something. great bit of kit though. also i heard something about oil on these kits can affect the maf, is that true? wanna have it on a rolling road now see what its making?

Why do you have to make the wires bigger didn't they try this when making the typhoon and make it work no problem?

was this the red piped one on ebay?

it was fella!

does happen and can clog the maf but you should be fine, keep an eye on how clean your maf is. Also when you clean the filter ensure you dont over oil it spray the oil on lightly but you shouldnt need to do it for atleast 20-30k these filters are more efficient when dirty suprisingly.

the kit was made for us cars aswell its the same kit but maybe our wiring set up is slightly places further back making the wires a tight fit. What normally happens is udner stress the engine vibrates and becase the wires are really tight in reaching to the placement of the kit they could pull away or unclip from inside the bracket and cause a malfunction nothing major just means you have to get the wiring sorted.

was this the red piped one on ebay?

it was fella!

lol i was going to bid on that one but when i did it had ended i want the blue pipe or might get Apexi????

does happen and can clog the maf but you should be fine, keep an eye on how clean your maf is. Also when you clean the filter ensure you dont over oil it spray the oil on lightly but you shouldnt need to do it for atleast 20-30k these filters are more efficient when dirty suprisingly.

the kit was made for us cars aswell its the same kit but maybe our wiring set up is slightly places further back making the wires a tight fit. What normally happens is udner stress the engine vibrates and becase the wires are really tight in reaching to the placement of the kit they could pull away or unclip from inside the bracket and cause a malfunction nothing major just means you have to get the wiring sorted.

thanks for all your help mate, do you think i am best taking the kit off and waiting till i get the cables lengthened, and also do i need the bracket or will it support itself? i will take it into a garage to have the wires lengthened as electrics worry me, not that confident with them yet...

You should be fine to use it for a few days like that....if the wire pulls out the bracket youll have to replace it anyway. If you dont want the hassle in the middle of something then change over ;) the typhoon should support it self fine i have done the same for a year and no problems.

1. Nope you will not hit 200bhp.....maybe 1-2, I have yet to see a 2zz-ge on a accurate dyno without correction figures hit over 195 at the fly with just an induction kit drop in.

I can think of quite a few that will disagree with that statement.....

For starters a 1-2bhp increase from a Typhoon?? That would leave K&N open to a Trading Standards investigation for false advertising over their figure of 7bhp ;)

CorollaTS05... yes it is possible that you will get 200bhp+...

What I find so odd is that, if you can get 7bhp from an induction kit, then how utterly ******* must the standard kit have been? Surely the engine wouldn't run correctly if it was choked to such an extent?...

This isn't me taking sides on this at all, I just though that I'd throw it out there. I don't have a CTS, therefore I don't have an opinion on the power gains, other than what is believable when we think of induction kits on cars generally.

I understand many will disagree gaz but to the point of trading standards....you never get confirmed gains on performance parts at all....you get estimates and that estimate is well off. It is to sell the product and people buy it. We cannot make that much power from filters. Im telling the OP how it is if you can prove otherwise i seriously cant take the dynos seriously they all seem to be up by around 10bhp..... my friend managed to get 190WHP on a full build with a practically new engine, he made around 215 at the crank.....160whp is no way near 200 at the crank.

You are losing 40BHP......to the wheels so you can either tell me your drivetrain is weak or the figure is innacurate.

from reading many other graphs what i can confirm is 160whp on a front weel drive would convert to roughly 188bhp.....what are your inlet temperatures on the dyno graph????

40bhp loss equates to a 20% transmission loss.... i understand that is quite reasonable...

I will have to dig out the dyno sheet and find the inlet temps...

To completely disregard 6 members dyno day results when you have no dyno of your own to provide seems like a slightly flawed arguement to me....

;)

The argument isnt flawed as im not comparing my dyno to yours. I may have a dyno or i may not but thats not on topic, The OP asked whether he could get 200BHP from a typhoon...the answer is no do you realise most of the time you wont even hit the factory figure of 190bhp? I would rather have an accurate dyno to compare my gains later and know what im really running than to have a one off figure and tell other owners false claims.

Regardless of the 10 people nearly all the figures were generous, if you managed to get so much from an air filter then why on earth are people still struggling to gain power from a NA 2zz?

a power fc on a stock motor would give around that much gain and thats with a good tune smoothing out the power band. If our magical filters were making that kind of power im pretty sure with such open filtration to produce those gains the car would be running lumpy from all the extra air.

Ill give it this the engine breathes better and throttle is quicker on tap. it may give maybe a few BHP....but 7 on a 1.8 NA no chance. a 3" PPE CAI with a map gives around 5.

gaz in no way do i mean to be rude when i discuss this with you, I just have a feeling that i may come across really snappy with my replies thats not the case to anyone reading, I think its just the way i type back it comes off a bit rude lol.

:lol: there's nothing like a good debate dude....

as for being 'snappy'... anybody's comments can be taken like that on the internet... mine included ;)

Cough...

04042009376.jpg

209 Corrected, 208 Norm. Big difference there? :P

I'd say that their Dyno is pretty accurate seen as they use it to tune all of the racing cars :P

Yea we could argue all day that I have a strong engine and the Kit is only giving me 1-2BHP, But I don't really think so. Seen as pretty much EVERy member of this, and other Forums has got on or around 200 mark with the addition of a typhoon. Whcih is basicly saying we all have 198/199bhp from factory. Also between 20-30% loss throguh the train is quite accurate as many performance companies will tell you. FWD cars just cant get the power through.

"The end result? As physics would suggest, the parasitic losses of the drivetrain increase with speed, varying from 23hp (17kW) at 50mph to 84hp (62kW) at 100mph. That works out to a real-world inefficiency ranging between 5-17%, depending on speed - quite good for an AWD car." Quote from an R35 Test run. If that's losing that much then our train is bound to lose more.

Aaaaaand then there was the chap with the enclosed Kit that got less than factory stated. Whoops.

Anyhoot, None of it really matters as it all depends on the driver and how the car feels on the day. Your CTS could take an M3 if it's driven by a muppet.

from that graph why is the max rpm 8510?

drag output 44bhp is the loss so in real your actually just losing hell loads of power when the cars actually moving.

209 Corrected, 208 Norm. Big difference there?.....correction figures arent made from there they correct your wheel horse power to what you run at the fly.

from that graph why is the max rpm 8510?

drag output 44bhp is the loss so in real your actually just losing hell loads of power when the cars actually moving.

209 Corrected, 208 Norm. Big difference there?.....correction figures arent made from there they correct your wheel horse power to what you run at the fly.

Heh, Problems there Farhan? :P

Ofcourse we're losing a hell of alot on the road. There's Supercharged 2ZZ's on other forums I use that are only putting 180-190 to the wheels.

We'll soon see what the gains are when the next run comes along as we're swapping filters around. You're welcome to come if you can be bothered to travel this far. IMO I justdon't see how you can claim what they do and don't gain when you've yet to say you've had a personal run or have printouts to prove it. There's alot of eveidence from members vs your opinions and theorys.

But like I said.. Pieces of papaer and numbers mean nothing. Driver is the main factor. Anyone can drive in a straight line. :)

As for the graph saying 8520? No idea. As he didn't even get mine to redline as the wheels were unbalanced and let off before due to woble.

in reply to that 4 wheel drive make a huge loss ....so in terms of the r35 that is correct....our car is not 4wheel drive so really you shouldnt be losing that much bhp to the wheels. My friend made 190WHP..........power to the fly was 215 and his 2nd gear is stuffed.

There are alot of dynos that are just so off. I would love to see the cars go to a dyno like TDI or CPL.

there puttin 180-190 at the wheels but thats true. your whp seems correct your corrected figure is off the scales, Why do i have to produce a dyno for my car ? Im not comparing our cars im commenting on the figures of your dyno results.

Mine are not theories i have a friend who has been through these engines like anything and who is very fussy with accuracy on the dyno as he has a full NA build and actually wants to know what he is making. From reviews of numerous dyno graphs and talking to other people it is very clear that the only place that has made such significant power from air filters are the people on this forum.

Also your corrected figure is stating that you make 209BHP....a compressor makes 215bhp....even the compressors dont hit there factory figures. Shaun was rolling roaded on a standard compressor around in the 190s......

Most probably its expected i will get slated on this by everyone else who had the dyno but the fact still remains, im unbiased in terms of this and i own the car, we just dont make that kind of power from those parts.

To be fair. From everything i've ever seen, I've never seen anybody with that little of a loss. it's always 'your friend' and never any proof.

I'm not trying to insult you or anything, but you gotta admit, you never seem to give us anything to go on. :P

And how do you figure we wouldn't lose as much as 4WD? We'd lose alot more than 4WD, Why do you think Dawesy For E.G is converting to 4WD? To get more power to the floor!

As for the compressor comment, I've played with a few and they aint that far off. Sure the torque helps but there's not THAT much in it.

I played in Chris' Compressor with a Typhoon and Full S/S system and I was only just catching my own CTS up.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links