Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lack Of Engine Braking

Geriatric

As an observer for the Institute of Advanced Motorists, I was taught and pass on the following:-

Brakes are for stopping, gears are for going!

Ie, use the brakes to slow you down and change to the lower gear just before you go again. brakes are cheaper than clutches!!!

Ah, but it's more economical to use gears to slow you down, than to keep using the brakes.

I think there's a difference between 'stopping' and 'slowing down' - brakes should definitely be used if you haven't got a lot of time, or are coming to a definite halt, but gears should be used, when possible, as a means of slowing down a bit. For example, if you see traffic lights (on red) ahead, you don't speed up to them and apply the brakes. You anticipate the lights, and slow down by using the gears, only using the brakes at the final moments, should you even need to. Although most of the time you probably will have to brake for the lights...

As an observer for the Institute of Advanced Motorists, I was taught and pass on the following:-

Brakes are for stopping, gears are for going!

Ie, use the brakes to slow you down and change to the lower gear just before you go again. brakes are cheaper than clutches!!!

Ah, but it's more economical to use gears to slow you down, than to keep using the brakes.

I think there's a difference between 'stopping' and 'slowing down' - brakes should definitely be used if you haven't got a lot of time, or are coming to a definite halt, but gears should be used, when possible, as a means of slowing down a bit. For example, if you see traffic lights (on red) ahead, you don't speed up to them and apply the brakes. You anticipate the lights, and slow down by using the gears, only using the brakes at the final moments, should you even need to. Although most of the time you probably will have to brake for the lights...

Nicely said

Sorry I lol'ed at that :D

No I find that my aygo slows down quite considerably when engine braking, but it needs to be really quite high in the rev range. (not sure exactly i dont have the gauge thing :thumbsup: )

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links