Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Key Programming

nwc100

Hi all,

I apologize for reviving an old thread but I could really use some help if possible? This is my 1st time on this forum so bear with me...

So I've been browsing these forums and on Google and I am trying to get my French Yaris Mk1 2003 1.3 VVTi to unlock/lock with a remote fob. When I bought the car back in November 2021, the guy who I got it from only gave me 1 grey key and all the paperwork. The car booklet that he gave me had a section about remote keys and it shows a Valeo remote key is compatible with my car. It has central locking as when I use the key to lock the car manually, the passenger and boot locks. (3 Door car) I bought a new uncut Valeo key from eBay with all electronics inside ready to go. Got it cut at Timpsons and that unlocks the car manually as expected.  I read the programming instructions on here and no matter what I do, the car will not respond to the fob. I gave up after 20 or so times trying as I didn't want to damage the door hinge and getting odd looks from the neighbours. I manage to get the car into programming mode (locks cycle depending on how many times you switch ignition on/off) but when I press the lock button on the fob a per instructions, nothing happens.

Is it possible that the grey key can't be used to program the fob? I am not bothered about having the new key start the car, just want the remote function to work. Many people on here said they were able to get the remote part working easily but not for me.

Thank you in advance,

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

I take it no one knows then? I'll just figure it out myself through trail and error

It may have central locking, but not all cars had remote locking the remote locking and immobilizer are 2 systems

you may have not of got a reply as this an old thread, any questions if you can't find the info on the forum please post a new thread of your own

The grey key is usually a Valet key and doesn't have remote functions, and shouldn't be able to be used to program new keys.

You can clone them to make more keys, but they'll all use the same transponder code instead of having different ones.

The programming procedures are not easy - I had to do both multiple times before I got them to catch; You have to do them smoothly and continuously - Trying to do the instructions as you read them will likely be too slow unless you are a godly piano sight-reader :laugh: 

I had to practically learn the muscle-memory to do it before I got either of the procedures to work!

• Like 1

Thanks for the response 🙂

I still could not get the car to respond and I bought a Denso fob as well. Another forum member mentioned the Yaris can use Valeo, Denso or another type (can't remember the name) and neither seem to work so I think I'll have a few more tries then give up. I don't want to splash out on another fob, only for it to not work...

If as flash 22 said, if my car doesn't support remote locking then it's a lesson learned. Thank you for your help.

Cyker, I appreciate your help. I only wanted to use my grey key to see if I could get the remote fob working. I don't actually want to get the key to start the car. Just wanted a remote fob. I probably wasted time and money getting the key cut (trail and error) If I can't get my car to program with my grey key then I'm out of luck.

I really wanted my car to be unlocked with the remote 😶

• Like 2

The Mk1's are a bit of a pain due to the different transponders, as you say - The 3 are Valeo, Denso and Tokai-Rika.

The french ones tend to be Valeo or Denso, while the jappy-built ones tend to Denso or Tokai-Rika.

Do you know what trim level your Yaris is? Almost all of them had remote central locking aside from the rock bottom specs, especially the post-facelift when they changed the trim level names to the much simpler T2/T3/T-Spirit instead of the baffling GS/CDX/S etc.

(I do miss the T-naming scheme... the current Design/Excel/Icon etc. is just as obtuse as the first one!)

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

The Mk1's are a bit of a pain due to the different transponders, as you say - The 3 are Valeo, Denso and Tokai-Rika.

The french ones tend to be Valeo or Denso, while the jappy-built ones tend to Denso or Tokai-Rika.

Do you know what trim level your Yaris is? Almost all of them had remote central locking aside from the rock bottom specs, especially the post-facelift when they changed the trim level names to the much simpler T2/T3/T-Spirit instead of the baffling GS/CDX/S etc.

(I do miss the T-naming scheme... the current Design/Excel/Icon etc. is just as obtuse as the first one!)

Hi Cyker, 

My Yaris has a T3 trim. CD player, front airbags, seat airbags, PAS, ABS and all that good stuff. I should have mentioned that in my 1st post haha.

I had a look on Parkers website and it says the T3's have remote locking as standard. I also learned it was registered 14th January 2004 so that's random information 😁  My car reg is NH53GVP. This information from the site brings some belief that perhaps it could be possible? 

• Like 2

Oh and I forgot to add, thank you for informing me about the TOKAI-RIKA fob. I forgot the name. Glad to hear the Japanese models mostly use them. I don't really want to buy another fob and then end up wasting more money

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I know this seems to be a common question/issue, but I can't get my new key to work the remote central locking.

I have a "master" key which works the remote locking, and have programmed the new key so that it starts the car.

I am following these instructions:

Drivers door open and removed from ignition

Insert key into ignition, then remove it

within 40 sec close and open drivers door twice

inset key in ignition then remove

within 40 sec close and open drivers door twice

close drivers door

Insert key into ignition

switch ignition ON and OFF once to program new key code whilst retaining original codes

Remove key

System should now lock and unlock vehicle, once or twice depending which mode has been selected

Up to this point it works fine

Carry out the following within 20 sec

Yaris built in France Press key lock button for a minimum of 1 sec and release

Within 3 seconds

Press key lock button for a minimum of 1 sec and release

System should now lock and unlock vehicle

I do this, but nothing happens. Locks don't cycle at all. 

To exit programming mode, open the drivers door

NOTE :if system locks and unlocks vehicle twice, programming procedure has not been completed .Repeat button procedure

Tried the door anyway, but to no avail. Key still doesn't lock/unlock on the buttons.

Any help appreciated.

• Like 1

Hmm, those instructions are slightly different to the ones I had that worked; Try:

1. Open the driver’s door.
2. Insert the pre-programmed working key into the ignition lock then remove it. Don’t turn the ignition on.
3. Within 40 seconds: Close and open the driver’s door twice, then
4. Insert the new key into the ignition then remove it. Don’t turn the ignition on.

5. Within 40 seconds: Close and open the driver’s door twice, then
6. Close the driver’s door, then

7. Insert the new key into the ignition and turn the ignition on then off (Once to ADD or Twice to Erase All and Add), then
8. Remove the new key, then
9. The central locking should now lock then unlock (Once or Twice).
10. Press the lock and unlock on the remote at the same time for 1.5 seconds
11. Within 3 seconds, press the lock button on the remote for 1 second.
12. The central locking should lock and unlock once.
13. If the central locking locks then unlock twice then the sequence has not been successful. Try again.
14. Open the driver’s door to complete the sequence.

• Like 2

On 9/15/2023 at 10:26 PM, ShiftedReality1990 said:

Oh and I forgot to add, thank you for informing me about the TOKAI-RIKA fob. I forgot the name. Glad to hear the Japanese models mostly use them. I don't really want to buy another fob and then end up wasting more money

A bit of a late reply, but if you're still playing

Built - 12/2003

Model - SCP12R-CGMRKW

Colour - 654 (olive green Met)

the fob comes back as a 89070-0D050 (Valeo)

door control receiver is on the driver's side, near the A pillar under the dash - 89741-0D020 (Valeo)

This is what it looks like .................

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164236660461

• Like 1

Hi Flash22,

Great to see you on this post as well. Thanks for that brilliant information. I don't know how you managed to find it but yep, still trying to get it to work and failing miserably. But you've renewed my hope that it can be done. Is it possible to program the remote locking with my only grey key that I have? Car did not come with a black key. I don't care about making the key start the car, just want a remote fob for the doors. 

Pete

• Like 1

The immobilizer and locking are 2 separate systems

start off with seeing if you have the receiver, and it's plugged in

• Like 1

On 10/6/2023 at 10:20 PM, Cyker said:

Hmm, those instructions are slightly different to the ones I had that worked; Try:

2. Insert the pre-programmed working key into the ignition lock then remove it. Don’t turn the ignition on.
4. Insert the new key into the ignition then remove it. Don’t turn the ignition on.

7. Insert the new key into the ignition and turn the ignition on then off (Once to ADD or Twice to Erase All and Add), then
8. Remove the new key, then
9. The central locking should now lock then unlock (Once or Twice).
13. If the central locking locks then unlock twice then the sequence has not been successful. Try again.

Thanks for that. I tried following these instructions, but I still get to No10, the locks cycle and then I press the buttons on the remote, but nothing happens. The locks never cycle once, nor twice.

On 10/8/2023 at 11:03 AM, flash22 said:

The immobilizer and locking are 2 separate systems

start off with seeing if you have the receiver, and it's plugged in

Is there any easier way to check for the receiver? My Haynes manual suggests taking all of the dashboard out plus steering wheel to locate it. No thanks. I had a search online for any videos or anything to locate it but was unable to find one

Pete

On 10/8/2023 at 10:08 PM, boyse7en said:

Thanks for that. I tried following these instructions, but I still get to No10, the locks cycle and then I press the buttons on the remote, but nothing happens. The locks never cycle once, nor twice.

Perhaps try what Flash22 says? See if you can locate the receiver and if it's plugged in? Your problem is exactly what mine is doing and I have a 1.3L as well

no need to pull the dash stick you head in the footwell and look up a torch

Haha I had a brain !Removed! moment. Well done for suggesting that, Flash22. Yep definitely there. Though I have absolutely no idea what that wrapper is that says pull on it. No idea. 

• Like 1

Not sure on the pull tab, unplug the connector from the module there is some sort of dust/dirt on the loom and plug

it looks like there has been moisture/condensation under the dash at some point

or throw a module at it

4. Insert the key into the ignition, then remove it. Don’t turn the ignition on.

7. Insert the key into the ignition and turn the ignition on then off (Once to ADD or Twice to Erase All and Add), then
8. Remove the key, then
9. The central locking should now, lock then unlock (Once or Twice).
13. If the central locking locks then unlocks twice then the sequence has not been successful. Try again.

Edited these instructions - note the parts in bold

use the key that starts the car only, inserting a key without an immobilizer chip or one that is not programmed will reset the sequence

• Like 3

I'm going to try this method once I finish work in half an hour or so. I'll disconnect the plug, try and blow it somehow and reconnect it. I don't know why the metal frame is showing some patches of rust. The car used to collect a bit of damp in the boot area but I found this out very quickly after getting the car. The rear light clusters used to allow water in which is a common problem on the Mk1. Rectified will silicone sealent on the gaskets and the some gorilla tape around the top of the clusters. Hasn't had damp in since. 

I'll update with the outcome

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

4. Insert the key into the ignition, then remove it. Don’t turn the ignition on.

7. Insert the key into the ignition and turn the ignition on then off (Once to ADD or Twice to Erase All and Add), then
8. Remove the key, then
9. The central locking should now, lock then unlock (Once or Twice).
13. If the central locking locks then unlocks twice then the sequence has not been successful. Try again.

Edited these instructions - note the parts in bold

use the key that starts the car only, inserting a key without an immobilizer chip or one that is not programmed will reset the sequence

• Like 1

So I attempted to try the updated instructions after I removed the plug and the wrapper from the central locking ecu (the wrapper was from a straw, from a previous owner) still no response from the car. I get to part 10 and when I press the lock/unlock button for 1.5 seconds and then lock for 1 second, the car does not respond at all. I'll keep trying as I might not be getting the timing right

Do you get a key reminder if you leave the keys in the ignition and open the door ?

Not on mine. If I leave the lights on and open the door without the engine running I'll get a beeping noise but not if I leave the keys in the ignition

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links