Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Madvinegar's Corolla

madvinegar

Yes I kept my 4ZZ cranks and rods too.

I have dont tested in dyno yet.....

Only 0-100 km/h it is about 9 sec.

Hmm, that's not so impressive after all the work you did I think?

With my 1.4 D4D (diesel), i'm going from 0 - 100 km/h in 10.5 secs, only having straight exhaust piping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9s4uONtWUA

Grtz

I must be having around 8 secs (or little above). I will try to film a 0-100 and post it here.

However, the hole value of this modification is that you get high torgue from the low revs (which was impossible with the 4zz engine). Check my dyno test to see the torque figures in the low revs.

Also, it was very interesting to see your 0-100 test because I see that you are changing gears just after 4.000rpm! The diesels have completely different style! I usually change gears just before the limiter at 6700+++...

I will revert with the video...

Hey,

yes when accellerating I always shift at about 4000rpm because from 4200 / 4300rpm the diesel is losing it's power :P

When u're in the car, u can just feel it's getting slower above 4200rpm.

Grtz

• 4 weeks later...

hi, nice job on rebuilding the engine and really nice and clean car :thumbsup:

im doing the same rebulid as you but with the 3zz engine (1,6L) and got a quople of questions you may help me with

do you know if this combo: 1zz cranck 1zz rods and 3zz pistons would work on 98 octane and a denzo ECU? (already got intake manifoil, trottlebody and 260cc injectors from 1zz installed)

cheers.

You can leave the 3zz pistons but as you said, the engine will work better only on 100 octane gasoline.

If you do not reprogram the ECU (I think only Bosh can be reprogrammed. Denso cannot be reprogrammed so you will have to put a parallel ECU) you will probably be experiencing problems when you press the accelerator at low revs on high gears (that is, for example, at 2.000rpm on 5th or 4th gear). In other words, the engine will not run very smoothly and will not produce the highest HP possible.

However, a lot of people I know have kept their 3zz pistons and have not experienced any major problems. If you put parallel ECU (or re-program if you had Boss), then everything is solved and the engine runs perfectly.

The reason for this is because the 3zz and especially the 4zz pistons give high compression (higher than the ECU is programmed to accept or adjust to). So in certain revs/pressure etc. the ECU has to cut down on fuel to protect the engine. At least, this is my understanding.

As regards the injectors KEEP YOUR 3ZZ ones! DO NOT INSTALL bigger ones, unless you are planning to reprogram the ECU. Even then, you do not need bigger ones. Do you have check engine light on? The car does not work well with bigger injectors (if not reprogrammed).

The car works just fine on the 220cc injectors (that 4zz and 3zz have). Imagine that I will reprogram my ECU (Bosh) and I will keep the 220cc injectors because they are more than enough.

In any case, BEST OF LUCK with your project! :thumbsup:

madvinegar, just a quick one... are your headlights blue at all? heard good things about those bulbs and im sick of mine which are meant to be blue but are white

Νο, sorry. I have installed the Philips Diamond Vision Ultimate xenon Effect head light bulbs. The bulb looks like it's blue (when turned off) but when you turn it on, it produces clean white light. :eek: Maybe there is some dim blue color in the background which might be seen if you turn on the lights during the day. But during the night, the others only see white light.

Ofcourse, this is what I ordered. I wanted clean white light as the oem ones were producing yellowish light which made the car look obsolete... :rolleyes:

Take a look at page 1 of my thread. I have uploaded some pictures with the lights turned on during the night.

You can leave the 3zz pistons but as you said, the engine will work better only on 100 octane gasoline.

If you do not reprogram the ECU (I think only Bosh can be reprogrammed. Denso cannot be reprogrammed so you will have to put a parallel ECU) you will probably be experiencing problems when you press the accelerator at low revs on high gears (that is, for example, at 2.000rpm on 5th or 4th gear). In other words, the engine will not run very smoothly and will not produce the highest HP possible.

However, a lot of people I know have kept their 3zz pistons and have not experienced any major problems. If you put parallel ECU (or re-program if you had Boss), then everything is solved and the engine runs perfectly.

The reason for this is because the 3zz and especially the 4zz pistons give high compression (higher than the ECU is programmed to accept or adjust to). So in certain revs/pressure etc. the ECU has to cut down on fuel to protect the engine. At least, this is my understanding.

As regards the injectors KEEP YOUR 3ZZ ones! DO NOT INSTALL bigger ones, unless you are planning to reprogram the ECU. Even then, you do not need bigger ones. Do you have check engine light on? The car does not work well with bigger injectors (if not reprogrammed).

The car works just fine on the 220cc injectors (that 4zz and 3zz have). Imagine that I will reprogram my ECU (Bosh) and I will keep the 220cc injectors because they are more than enough.

tanks for the qiuck reply:) and i will take note og what you have told me :thumbsup:

reguarding the injectors i do not have engine check ligth , and i must sat that my enginge works better whith teese than the old ones, i lost some power in the mid range power curve when i installed the bigger manifoil from the 1zz and got it back when i installed the 1zz injectors, now it also pulls better all the way to the red line.... and even wants to rev beond 6750rpm, my second reason for installing the 1zz ones is that theese are a 12 hole type (much better "dusting" of the petrol) the 3zz injectors are a 4 hole type

pic:

Utennavn-1.jpg

Very interesting. Thanks for the picture. From my experience, those who have installed 1zz injectors without re-programming the ECU had engine light problems, bad fuel burning problems etc.

If it works well with you, leave it as it is.

madvinegar, just a quick one... are your headlights blue at all? heard good things about those bulbs and im sick of mine which are meant to be blue but are white

No sorry. They may look blueish when turned off, but when you turn them on you get clean white light. Check the pics in the first page of my thread to see.

Celica/Avensis 280 ccm (Green) injector is better.

As I said, only if you are planning to re-program the ECU.

As I said, only if you are planning to re-program the ECU.

Yes.

Are you planning to reprogram ?

And you measure the 0-100 km/h ???

Yes I will reprogram soon. I'm trying to put some money aside to do it.

I haven't measured the 0-100 for the time being... :rolleyes:

Yes I will reprogram soon. I'm trying to put some money aside to do it.

I haven't measured the 0-100 for the time being... :rolleyes:

Ok,

Your Dyno test of how accurate??

Interesting.

But the not alll 1ZZFe engines same.

the Celica's and MR2's engines the same and other 1ZZ for example USA Corolla/Matrix not the SAME.The block same and the cylinder head not same.

Ok,

Your Dyno test of how accurate??

Interesting.

But the not alll 1ZZFe engines same.

the Celica's and MR2's engines the same and other 1ZZ for example USA Corolla/Matrix not the SAME.The block same and the cylinder head not same.

The dyno test is very accurate because at the same day a lot of OEM e12s were dynotested as well and they all showed the figures given by TOYOTA.

I agree that not all 1zzfe engines are the same. I have used pistons, connecting rods and crankshaft from a celica, and intake manifold and throttle body from an Mr2.

The USA 1zzfe engines are different.

The dyno test is very accurate because at the same day a lot of OEM e12s were dynotested as well and they all showed the figures given by TOYOTA.

thanx

• 3 weeks later...

hi, love your car! Nice looking!

could you please spesify with kind of headgasket you used? (1zz, 3zz or 4zz)

Im planing of doing the exact same thing you have done with your engine! (only diference is that im going from 3zz to 1zz and not 4zz to 1zz)

could you please write a list of what exaclty i need to do the same thing you did? :)

Cheers

Hi! Thanks for your comments!

It's the same thing to go from 3zz to 1zz. The engine block is the same.

You need:

-1zz crankshaft (together with new bearings)

-1zz connecting rods

-1zz pistons

-4zz head-gasket

Also you need 1zz throttle body and intake manifold. Very important: If your corolla is a facelift one, you need to get the intake manifold and the throttle body with electric accelerator.

If you have any more questions, please let me know. :thumbsup:

Ok, then you need a regular throttle body and intake manifold. May I suggest that you find one from an 1zz Mr2 or Avensis, because the cord/cable of the accelerator can be fitted much more nicely.

Good luck with your project.

Yes, like these. However you must firstly buy the 1zz crankshaft. On the crankshaft there is a code engraved. According to this code (and the manual of 1zz) you will know what size of bearings you will have to buy.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links