Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Build Thread.

wangtastic

Well now that I've got some $ coming in I'm going to be doing a fair old bit of work to my motor.

It's stuff I've been planning for a while but I've just not had the money to be able to do.

I thought I would start a build thread to show you the progress of my car.

Up until now I've only done small styling mods really (such as painting and changing the mats!).

the biggest thing I've done is putting on a new backbox, but even then it only cost £30 for my mate to stick it on!

Here's some of the stuff I've done up until now:

September 2009

th_DSC00443.jpg

The car as I got it.

October 2009

th_DSC00426.jpg

th_DSC00425.jpg

Wiring up my amps

th_DSC00436.jpg

My 6x9's - InPhase XTC693's

November 2009

th_DSC00440.jpg

Kicker 12" Sub Installed

th_DSC00492.jpg

Alpine 9880r installed

th_DSC00506.jpg

Front Speakers installed (sorry no install pics!)

May 2010

th_IMAG0013.jpg

th_IMAG0014.jpg

Chrome Wipers and Civic aerial fitted.

th_Snow2010-12-01002.jpg

th_Snow2010-12-01004.jpg

th_Car2011-01-13004.jpg

th_Car2011-01-13003.jpg

Blue LED's fitted in boot and reading lights.

September 2010

th_IMAG0005.jpg

th_IMAG0009.jpg

Custom air filter fitted by modding OEM airbox.

th_CarGrilleEmblem2010-12-07012.jpg

Front Speakers amped

October 2010

th_Car2010-11-23003.jpg

Engine covers sprayed in gloss black with blue highlights. (shout out to Bridges!)

th_Car2010-11-06002.jpg

th_CarGrilleEmblem2010-12-07010.jpg

New backbox fitted by modding a Corsa B backbox I had lying around.

December 2010

th_CarGrilleEmblem2010-12-07007.jpg

th_CarGrilleEmblem2010-12-07019-Copy.jpg

TRD Emblem fitted to front grille

January 2011

th_Car2011-01-13005.jpg

Custom Aluminium Oil cap fitted

May 2011

th_TyresandInduction2011-05-27004.jpg

Wind Deflectors

th_WheelRefurb2011-03-21014.jpg

th_WheelRefurb2011-03-24003.jpg

th_WheelRefurb2011-04-22003.jpg

th_TyresandInduction2011-05-27005.jpg

Wheel Refurb :)

th_IMAG0187.jpg

th_TyresandInduction2011-05-27006.jpg

New Backbox

th_Induction2011-05-26001.jpg

th_TyresandInduction2011-05-27001.jpg

th_TyresandInduction2011-05-27003.jpg

New DIY Induction kit :)

That pretty much sums up the work I've done up until now!

would love to know what you guys think!

Steve

Looking good already mate.My budget is zilch at the moment so you have got a lot further than me :D .Mods do take time and I find there is always something that you want to change/upgrade/replace once the modding bud gets you.

Good luck with the rest of the work and keep us updated as and when :thumbsup:

It is the little things that can really make a difference, i.e painting the engine cover i bet it looks much better now.

Nice one :thumbsup:, keep up the good work.

Bridges (tim) is a good buy, i brought his old custom backbox off him and never regretted it.

Looks good :thumbsup:

Where did you get your led's for the reading lights from?

Thanks guys!

I'm glad in a way I had no money cos it's meant I've done small things I might have never gotten round to if I had a bigger budget.

Yeah bridges is a hero! Haha.

As is everyone who's given me help. :)

The leds came from eBay. I can find the link for you if you like?

They sure are.

You do need speaker adapters though as the original Speakers are rivited in.

any 6.5" should fit fine.

I'm gonna be replacing them soon as one got blown when the missus got carried away. LOL.

The leds came from eBay. I can find the link for you if you like?

Yes please :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Small update for y'all

I've purchased a blue aluminium oil cap which I've fitted:

th_Car2011-01-13005.jpg

and here are the pictures of the reading lights...

Flash off:

th_Car2011-01-13004.jpg

Flash on:

th_Car2011-01-13003.jpg

I've also fitted some LED's at the back but I haven't gotten round to snapping a pic of them yet.

I was going to go to Stealth Systems in Southampton tomorrow to get a quote for a full cat back, but that's been put back because I have Jury Duty :(

I was meant to be servicing the car next week too, but again looks like I'll have to push it back.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again :)

I was hoping someone could help me.

I just purchased some alloy wheels off of a mate for £60 that I think came off of his old MR2.

I am planning to use them on my rolla but one needs to be refurbed first.

These are the alloy's in question:

th_SAM_0587.jpg

Damaged one:

th_SAM_0586.jpg

Now my question is will these fit? I believe the pcd to be 4x100 but I have nooo idea what the "ET" is, I know it's got be between 35 and 45 for the rolla, but I can't find what size these alloys are?

Also, the holes seem smaller than that of the standard 'rolla alloys, will this be a problem?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Coming along well steve, The coilovers should fill the gap the moment you get the alloys on. Have you considered any exterior work? Mind you the coilovers will transform the look of the car.

Clawligers car for example from the exterior is stock but because of the significant drop it looks really good because lowering the vehicle makes it look alot more aggresive and naturally the arches start looking more chunky.

I think a corolla SR front lip with a tte grill would look smart. A facelift rear bumpers and some mini tte sideskirts would finish the exterior nicely.

Awesome job so far buddy :) The subtle changes have definitely made a difference.

A few questions from a complete novice :

Any tips on how to spray the engine covers? It looks so nice! The ones on my car look dirty/rusty even though the engine's in good condition.

Also, where did you get the TRD emblem from and how much did it cost? I've had trouble finding ones from local car shops.

Keep us posted with any new pictures, I'm following this thread with interest :)

Thank you very much :)

Well the plan is to get a nice rear bumper (hopefully one like the compressor) and then get a custom cat back done (twin pipe jobby).

Then I'll be looking at skirts and posssssssibly a front bumper, though I do really like the standard.

Obviously I'll be sorting the alloys and suspension out first. :)

Also thinking of an engine change orrr rebuild like madvinegars...not sure which yet though. :huh:

In regards to the engine covers I'll copy and paste the guide Tim made for me so people can follow it :)

and the TRD emblem was from here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-TRD-Front-Grille-Grill-Badge-Emblem-Supra-Yaris-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem35a646e2dcQQitemZ230422930140QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

it took about a month to arrive but the quality is OUTSTANDING for the price.

I've bought things from HK before and they've been shocking but this was simply top notch.

Managed to find out the Alloy's were 4x100/5x100 PCD and ET38, so in theory they should be good to go on! :D

getting the refurb sorted this week hopefully. :)

Here's a pic from them on a MR2:

CIMG3348.jpg

and here's the spraying guide as written by Tim (forum name Bridges):

1 The obvious, make sure area is clean and with plenty of ventilation. A garage of some sort would be best.

2 You wont need to wet sand the covers them self's down as your keeping the texture on them but clean them thoroughly and dry thoroughly

3 Primer 1st - Keep the can around 10inches away from cover. Spray in 1 direction only IE from left to right, stop. Start again from left to right. Speed - well commen sense not to fast so no product is touching and not to slow so you have thick areas which will then run!!!

4 Once area fully covered leave to dry for 20 mins or until dry to touch (use back of hand so no finger prints will be left)

5 Copy point (3) and then leave to dry

6 After two layers are now dry. Get your wet sand paper (which should have been put in hot water before you begin) id say use grit level 800

7 3rd coat of primer needed same as point (3) & (5) leave to dry

8 On to the Black Gloss. Now this will be trickier to apply than the primer so be careful and be patient. But again 10 inches away, in one direction until fully covered.

9 (optional) wet sand down with grit level 1200 no hard pressure needed, its just to smooth the paint down. If primer shows through, dont panic its fine

10 Same as point (8) again taking your time in one direction & leave to dry

11 another layer will help so follow step (10)

12 Once gloss is fully dry and your happy with outcome then onto the laquer

13 Laquer is the easiest step. You can spray in any direction but keep can 10 inches away, leave to dry

14 Once laquer dried do another layer

15 Walla they should be all done

When doing the letters on the engine cover:

If you mask over so the tape over laps the edges, then with a scalpel cut around the outline carefully.

Cheers

Steve

The rims and the TRD emblem are just SUPER GREAT!

I can't wait to see both of them on your E12 !

When you say that you are thinking of an engine change what do you have in mind?

1zzfe from Mr2? 2zzge from TS? or even better.... a 3sgte??? :drool:

Well my mate who sold me his rims is also getting rid of his engine too as he had a rear end smash :-( so he's trying to sell as much as salvageable for a bit of extra money :)

It's a 1zzfe and he'll give me the engine for £125 then I just need an ecu :)

The grille emblem is already on! Check my pics on the first page :D

125 pounds only ???? OMG !!!! Unbelievable... :toast:

Yeah I know.

He's selling it to me cheap cos I did him a solid agessssss ago. haha!

Also he is LOADED so he doesn't really care lol.

Thanks for the reply wangtastic :) I have a 2002 (52 Plate) E12 1.6 but I don't have a clue if it's a prefacelift version or a facelifted one - will the TRD emblem fit on both? I'm very tempted to just order it :( haha.

Those alloys look MEAN :D Will make such a difference to your E12 - are they 17"? Will you need to change your stock springs/suspension so they don't scrape the wheel arches?

The engine spraying guide has been done very well - kudos to both you and Tim :) The only problem is I don't know how to get the engine cover off. I feel pretty embarrassed admitting that on a car forum and I understand how silly it must sound. I work in a pharmacy and I've never done anything technical on a car before because this is my first one. I can build a bicycle from scratch though so I hope that counts for something lol. Any small pointers would be much appreciated.

Keep the thread updated with your car pics, I'm following with interest :thumbsup:

dunno if it's any use to you, but my t-sport bumper will be up for sale very soon if your interested. Good work with the the mods though so far :thumbsup:

do those LEDs fit the sidelights aswell mate? and will they ft interior lights on a 05 t3 too? thanks :)

cars looking nice

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links