Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Auris Utter Poor Fuel Efficiency

del_piero_3

Hi guys, am really sorry about this post, I know there are many posts like this, I just need to vent my frustration...

Toyota Auris (2.0 D4D T Spirit, 08 reg) is one rubbish car when it comes to fuel efficiency. I am gutted that I didn’t come across this forum before purchasing this utter rubbish. I am not a performance driver by any means, 80% of my mileage is motorway on daily basis so fuel efficiency is number one criteria. But this car does not even come close to what it claims.

In the last few occasions during Dec 10 and Jan 11, this is what I noted;

• £74.57 of diesel gave 540 miles
  • £59.04 of diesel gave 337 miles
  • £24.68 of diesel gave 179 miles (being extremely tight and cautious – not !Removed! practical at all)

After cleaning the EGR, I reset the ECU and inflated the tyres (front 35 and rear 38). I don’t use cruise control or AC.

• Fuelled up £60.47 (46.55L @ 129.9p).
  • Did 105 motorway miles, kept speed around 70MPH/2k rev/6th gear, changing gears between 2-2.5k.
  • Decided to refuel and see how much was used for 105 miles (8.87L @ 129.9p = £11.52).
  • I continue to drive on same tank and see how many combined miles I get before the low fuel shows.
  • For £71.99 (£60.47 + £11.52) of diesel I got 530 miles, of which 20% was local and 80% motorway mileage.

Man that is a disgrace; I have two VW boras 1.9TDI in the family, 2000 and 2001 reg. Both of them give 475-500 combined miles for £50.

It is definitely not my driving style; have over 13years experience. The Auris is well looked after, full service history, been serviced about 6months ago, only 6k done during that time. It still has 4 months manufacturers warranty left, can anything else be done? Looks like I need to cut my losses and get rid of this piece of crap. If I do sell am going back to German cars, tried and tested.

On a motorway run I have seen upto 45.5 MPG, local it does 41MPG.

Anything less than 40MPG I would be unhappy.

I know the Auris is not as economical as many german rivals, but its more reliable in my opinion which is why I have still kept it. The car itself is quite heavy 1400KG which is why I think it drinks a little more?

If you have only done 6K in 6 months I think you will be worse of financially swapping the car. Expensive as fuel is, the difference in cost between say 40mpg and 50mpg wont come close to the money lost in selling the car so quickly.

I have no idea what the 2L diesel should manage but I used to eek out 40ish mpg from a 190bhp Corolla TSport so I must admit your figures don't look that good.

Dec and Jan were particularly cold... and that will reflect in poorer economy.

Exactly !

And couldn`t help noticing the `fuelly` mpg is 44 mpg which isn`t too bad for a 2 litre diesel in real world conditions

I have (or rather did have til it was sold last week) the 2.0 diesel Verso, the average on this car is 45 MPG, and that is over winter too

I have just swapped into a 1.4 Urban Cruiser and on a good run over the weekend it averaged 51 MPG

Kingo :thumbsup:

I have (or rather did have til it was sold last week) the 2.0 diesel Verso, the average on this car is 45 MPG, and that is over winter too

I have just swapped into a 1.4 Urban Cruiser and on a good run over the weekend it averaged 51 MPG

Kingo :thumbsup:

what, got rid of the verso kingo,now got a urban cruiser,hope you dont forget to keep reminding us about it.

suppose you got a huge discount on it or was thrown in with the job,

anyway enjoy it.

suppose you got a huge discount on it

Discount? :eek:

Don't be silly, it's a company car :thumbsup:

This UC is a stop gap til the new reg comes out in March, I will fill you in whern the next car comes along :thumbsup:

suppose you got a huge discount on it

Discount? :eek:

Don't be silly, it's a company car :thumbsup:

This UC is a stop gap til the new reg comes out in March, I will fill you in whern the next car comes along :thumbsup:

fill me in?

sounds like threat (or a promise)to someone who worships the ground you drive over.

:lol: I meant fill you in with the details of the next car....................unless your into that type of thing? :fear::lol:

i have just got a 2008 2.0 d4d t3 auris and will be picking it up in a few days but only found this forum after paying for it and im starting to worry that i have made a bad choice after reading this forum is the mpg realy this bad plus other things(brakes fail,boot leaks) have i made a bad choice or should i go to the garage and ask if i can change it for the golf i was looking at please put my mind at rest or tell me to go for the golf cant have another crap car after my meriva problems want reliable good motor what do you all think i should do

If you have only done 6K in 6 months I think you will be worse of financially swapping the car. Expensive as fuel is, the difference in cost between say 40mpg and 50mpg wont come close to the money lost in selling the car so quickly.

I have no idea what the 2L diesel should manage but I used to eek out 40ish mpg from a 190bhp Corolla TSport so I must admit your figures don't look that good.

40ish mpg in your t sport? Are you sure??????

Mine used to average 30 at best!

As for the OP's car... Your fuelly said 44mpg. If that is true then it sounds fine to me. My 2.2 average 38mpg.

Stay with the AURIS if it has full documented service history from the dealers, & its been serviced shouldn't cause you any issues, make sure its not an ex company/lease car because they get abused.

I dont think there is anything at all wrong with the Auris 2.0 Engine or the car itself.

If you want to do some research go on the car forums there are far more issues reported compared to here.

I haven't had any issues with mine had it over 2 months but I have put nearly 3k on it, by now you get the feel. Easy to service, comfortable, stable handling, spacious, reliable what more could you ask for.Reaching 63k still feels like the engine needs running in.

A little thirsty but again its been the winter season, I have more peace of mind compared to when I had a car from the VAG range. VAG diesel engines are strong units, dont get me wrong its just other little issues which can annoy you after a few months of ownership. Such as sensors, waterpumps, window regulators, etc etc

The 2.0d do quite well on fuel i thought. The price of fuel will be 7p higher by the end of april too.

my t-sport reached 32MPG on a good day.

my 2.0d auris does 48MPG doing average 70-75mph on the moterway and 42MPG town and i thought that was good going.

getting a tuning chip will increase MPG by about 5MPG which is my next upgrade i think.

The best i have got out of mine so far: (2.2 SR180 so slighty thirstier)

IMAG0233.jpg

That pic was taken a few hours ago, and its after a weekend of driving, covering 370 miles.

47.6 mpg included some town driving, a traffic light grand prix, and plenty of motorway driving.

Thats after a MAF clean and shot of millers on top of a tank of V-power.

If i see less than 200 miles from the rest of the tank i will be surprised.

By the way, 44mpg average is pretty good for this car.

Hi I have the same car and am getting about 44 mpg, and I am trying to improve. I have started adding acetone to the diesel and the mpg is improving slowly.

there seems to be alot of people on here complaining of crap mpg with diesels,glad i got a petrol 1.6(averaging about 38mpg)

why is the mpg gap between petrol and diesel so much smaller for auris' than say golfs,astras,focus,mazda 3's etc :unsure:

I dont know how accurate the average MPG indicator is, is the onboard calculator many owners are refering to when stating my MPG is typicaly 40-45 etc or is it purley based on calculations..

Can somebody confirm? Cheers

I always use a calculated method for accurate results, but use the computer as a guide (EG if the computer reading goes up, my MPG is improving) and i have found they are never more than 0.5mpg out from each other, and usually they are spot on.

I bought my car new in 2008, my mpg for summer driving is 55 this drops to 46 mpg in the winter.

A friend only used to get 35mpg in his car till I showed him how to drive it correctly.

I do wonder if some of the emission controls (EGR, DPF etc.) in the Auris are harming the mpg.

The other thing is it's quite a heavy car which won't help.

How much can you abuse the torque in the 2.0/2.2 D4D's?

On a sufficiently cold day, I can drive my Yaris in 5th at ~30mph without labouring the engine which helps compensate for the other winter losses of mpg, but generally once I get going I can drive around in 4th pretty much constantly, even down to 20mph, and that combined with good timing so I don't have to brake much is giving me pretty good mpg even in winter :)

You do sacrifice acceleration (Off the line I'll launch it to climb the gears faster but once I'm moving I try to be smoother) and you also have to maintain a larger gap to absorb speed changes from the person ahead, but it does add up!

Can't abuse the low-end torque so much in summer, but the engine tends to stay at its optimal operating temp better in summer so I don't have to be so careful anyway :)

Our 2.0d4d is averaging 50mpg mostly motorway miles. I initially did not like this car but its done 50 k now and I think the engine is terrific.

Engine is very sensitive on the throttle. I find getting up to the speed quickly and then holding it at speed (52mpg) far better on mpg than gradually accelerating (46mpg).

Yeah, I found that too; Accelerating briskly then settling into a smooth cruise seems to net me slightly better mpg than gently accelerating, unless I jump from 1st-13mph-3rd-25mph-4th/5th (In which case you can't accelerate briskly anyway :lol:

...After cleaning the EGR, I reset the ECU and inflated the tyres (front 35 and rear 38)...

Quote from the OP, overinflated surely? This can't be what it says on the sticker in the drivers door shut? Mine is 35psi front and 32psi rear... or have I got mine wrong?!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links