Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yet Another Wrong Oil Saga

jackw_77

Oh Dear!!!! Seems the problem has drifted off into speed arguments over limits etc.

Nobody seems to have the answer to why Toyota Techs are not clearly stating ONLY OW20 oil should be used and solving for ever the problem on the use of oils. Toyota Techs need an authority to make them solve the problem once and for all. I cannot see that going on about speed limits etc will solve anything.

Lol, my light-hearted solution to why fuel consumption goes up (wrong oil does it too) :thumbsup:

Or they scrape their car through the European tests using a super expensive 0w20 oil and then bung in the cheap oil when they can get away with it (some of the time). It'll bite them on the **** though when customers start to wonder why their super economical car no longer gets those fabulous mpg's. You hear people often comment that the Prius doesn't get close to the manufacturers figures - and now we know why - they've got 5w30 in and are running on under inflated non lrr tyres.

I'm feeling some emails and phone calls coming on. (esp now I'm cheesed that the Prius PHEV is overpriced out of my reach :crybaby: )

Grumpy mate, I know why some people complain about the 'unnatainable' fuel consumption figures.... I went to Nottingham over the weekend and the number of gen3 Prius that overtook me on the A1.... I was doing my usual indicated 67 on cruise control - 3 or 4 Prius overtook me at various points on the way there and on the way back - all well over the speed limit - no doubt those drivers will be complaining they only get 50-55mpg - Toyota claims are sh(t brigade... Drive them properly and the figures will come!

Properly! What is "proper" for you wanting to get more economy out of your car is all well and good for you but some of us don't want to drive at 67. We are quite happy doing what many other people do (hence the recent decision to up the speed limit to 80 next year) and cruise along at 75ish thank you.

The Prius is not just about economy otherwise it wouldn't have a power mode would it?

No, and I use the power mode occasionally!

However two points...

First the speed limit is 70. Not 71 or 76, 70, seventy, you are perfectly at liberty to exceed that limit if you wish, it's your licence and one day you will find an enterprising young bobby out to make a name for himself. Trust me, it will happen!

Second, the speed limit is NOT going to be increased to 80. The PROPOSAL is to TRIAL an increased limit on certain motorways where a variable limit is already in place. IMO this is simply a cynical ploy by the government to extract more petrol tax from us motorists, it is a well known fact that the faster you drive the more fuel you use, if you, and others, wish to pay more tax that is your perogative, personally one of the reasons I bought a Prius was to pay as little road and petrol tax as possible. I'm not going to negate that by burning more fuel than necessary.

(Comment removed at it upset Tone which was NOT my intention)

The police are not bothered about people driving at 75mph. Watch any one of the numerous police shows on TV and that is abundantly clear. They are more concerned about the 85mph plus drivers who pose a real danger.

As for the 80MPH limit, its highly likely it WILL be increased and when it is the UK will fall into line with the much of Europe. You may not like it but many will, including me. 70 Is outdated with modern vehicles which stop in much less time than vehicles of the past.

Lastly, drive at whatever speed you like. Its your car, your money and your choice. What I objected to was your point that the "proper" way to drive a Prius is your way and that people that overtake you are not driving one properly.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I knew my day would come eventually posting on this topic of oil, it is now time for the first service on my Auris HSD, I am not in the UK, my local Toyota dealer is 2 minutes from where I live here in Luxembourg, so today I went in to book a service and took the manual opened at the page that says to use 0W-20 and ask them what oil they would be putting in, after a quick phone call the answer was 5W-30 and that is all they stock, I quoted what the manual says that "0W-20 is filled into the car at manufacturing"(I presume that is what is put in at Derby?) they said it wasn't and that 0W-20 is only for Scandinavian cars and 5W-30 is for Central Europe, I don't think I have read that one before here :) Anyway I didn't want to argue the toss with him and just ask if he could order the 0W-20 and put it in my car which he said he would so I shall have to see when I take the car in.

Well I knew my day would come eventually posting on this topic of oil, it is now time for the first service on my Auris HSD, I am not in the UK, my local Toyota dealer is 2 minutes from where I live here in Luxembourg, so today I went in to book a service and took the manual opened at the page that says to use 0W-20 and ask them what oil they would be putting in, after a quick phone call the answer was 5W-30 and that is all they stock, I quoted what the manual says that "0W-20 is filled into the car at manufacturing"(I presume that is what is put in at Derby?) they said it wasn't and that 0W-20 is only for Scandinavian cars and 5W-30 is for Central Europe, I don't think I have read that one before here :) Anyway I didn't want to argue the toss with him and just ask if he could order the 0W-20 and put it in my car which he said he would so I shall have to see when I take the car in.

Find another dealer, I wouldn't trust a dealer who spurts Bu****it like that.

Just got my baby back from its 60k mile service along with having the steering column replaced.

Well they've used 0w20 oil - I could tell as soon as I switched it on. Car runs super smooth, mpg's are lovely and now the steering column has been replaced it doesn't ratter like a tube of smarties.

p.s. (and sorry Tone) I had an Aygo as a courtesy car. OMG how truely dreadful it was and it only had 730 miles on it. Went for a drive out in the g/friends IQ and it was lovely, nippy and well built. The Aygo by contrast felt like a Peugeot, bounced around on even slightly uneven roads and the engine was deafening - 3 pot 1 litre. I only drove it 10 miles to the dealers along back roads and had had enough by that point; I was so pleased to hand it back. Agghhh it was horrid. It was a joy to get back into my nice, smooth, quiet Prius. I'm gonna insist on a courtesy Prius T Spirit next time :thumbsup:

When our new Gen 3 was delayed last March we were given an Aygo courtesy car. Our experience was exactly as you describe Grumpy.

On a recent journey to and from North Wales in our Gen 3 got 61 MPG and we were traveling at speeds varying from 70-80 MPG most of the time.

Driving the Aygo certainly makes you appreciate the Prius! Bit more fun though, I tend to throw the Aygo around more than the Prius which I drive for the relaxation factor :thumbsup:

Driving the Aygo certainly makes you appreciate the Prius! Bit more fun though, I tend to throw the Aygo around more than the Prius

Fun? How? lol

Fun if you like to arrive shaken, stired and feeling a little bit queasy :( It did like to be thrashed a wee bit.

I want something in writing from Toyota I can furnish when I take my car in for a service to avoid all this carry on. Is that an unreasonable request?

Just got my baby back from its 60k mile service along with having the steering column replaced.

Well they've used 0w20 oil - I could tell as soon as I switched it on. Car runs super smooth, mpg's are lovely and now the steering column has been replaced it doesn't ratter like a tube of smarties.

p.s. (and sorry Tone) I had an Aygo as a courtesy car. OMG how truely dreadful it was and it only had 730 miles on it. Went for a drive out in the g/friends IQ and it was lovely, nippy and well built. The Aygo by contrast felt like a Peugeot, bounced around on even slightly uneven roads and the engine was deafening - 3 pot 1 litre. I only drove it 10 miles to the dealers along back roads and had had enough by that point; I was so pleased to hand it back. Agghhh it was horrid. It was a joy to get back into my nice, smooth, quiet Prius. I'm gonna insist on a courtesy Prius T Spirit next time :thumbsup:

Are modern Peugeots really that bad??? :crybaby: (i assume you are refering to the 407/307 generation and newer). My experience (as a passenger) in 106, 206, 306, 405 and 406 was that they were very smooth riding cars (not having a pop at you by the way - just curious).

To the point where on the basis of being a passenger in a 406 serveral times (including one with near 200 k on the clock) i have ambitions of planting myself in the drivers seat off and my name in the log book of a late 406 HDI at some point in the next few years.

On a much happier note its good that you got the right oil, how did you fair out with the steering column - did they have a bust of common sense and replace it for free

Red diesel

It wasn't meant to meant Peugeots are bad - I've had a few and they're the only French car I'd ever consider. I meant you could tell the Aygo was a Peugeot in Toyota clothing. The gear change was typical Peugeot - like stiring porridge.

I want something in writing from Toyota I can furnish when I take my car in for a service to avoid all this carry on. Is that an unreasonable request?

It really isnt a carry on at most dealers, like I have said on here before, it tends to be with the larger groups who buy in bulk oil deals through head office. The thing to do is phone your dealer and ask them what they use in a Prius, most likely you will get the right answer

Kingo :thumbsup:

Why not take your own oil. That way you are sure it is correct, and saved yourself £25 at the same time. I used not to bother, but now I think it is necessary.

I think this is just Toyota's way of reducing dealer profits. B)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links