Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Loss Of Power On Acceleration

Skydesigner

As I have posted this comment many times before - Since my EGR valve and associated parts modification my IQ has performed perfectly without any hesitation at all at any time, this was definiatly the problem and my IQ has been perfect in all respects ever since the EGR modification.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

does anyone know if the toyota sell this solenoid seperatly and if no any dimensions ???

does anyone know if the toyota sell this solenoid seperatly and if no any dimensions ???

Whilst previous posts mention the EGR valve this is not the faulty part, the fault lies within the pipe work for the EGR valve and as previously posted a list of modified parts are required, replacing the EGR valve is not required and will not fix the issues described in this thread.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi guys and owners of iq.

I really need your help and advice because i am very confused sad and mad at the same time. My story start a month ago when i decide to replace my smart fortwo 2008 with a better class car as iq . I bought my nice iq2 1.0 litre with cvt transmission with 65000 kiliometer from second hand model of 3/2009 . From the first time i understand that is quit acceleration car with the difference of my old one smart fortwo turbo and all the owner that i ask they say me that this is the style of iq. So i though that my iq is so slow like the others ones and i not gave too much attention at beginning.

On the first week i run to official dealer Toyota on my country and i ask if they have some recall for this car and check also the sensor of gas because always show me that my fuel is under half , also i inform them that for me its very weird with full reservoir to make only 250 kiliometer with small use inside city .Finally They inform me that they have only one recall for the acceleration pedal and they can replace it the same day and check also the other problems. Because i wanted to be a good owner and respect also toyota i ask to make also the full oil change and service of car to start have as a new owner a new book service also . They inform me that the second owner stop doing service at official dealer after 15000 until 65000 that i took it on my hand this car.

Finally they replace the recall of acceleration pedal and replace also the sensor of the gas with 200euro cost .

The story guys start now and until today i still can find solution with Toyota company on Greece at least. The car suddenly start don't have torque and acceleration and many time was to dangerous to cross the road from side to side , also the car drinking benzene like crazy or better like i have bmw x5 car . I start searching on the internet about this problem and i found that all iq close to 2009 with cvt have the same problem and the problem is from factory exactly , nothing that any owners doing bad or from bad usage. I run on my dealer again with the papers of service bulletin about (Reduced engine power during take-off or acceleration from low speed ) and they answer me that don't know the problem and that i must again let the car all day for checking. I run straight on my second dealer that we have in city and inform me that the problem is very common and they now already that is problem from factory. We spoke for a half of hour and they told me that the issue cost close to 1600euro and because the second owner not make the services on official dealer they can't fix it under warranty. I told them that guys this is factory problem from the first 6 months and the owners never get a recall letter of inform from the fist one dealer why i must pay all this, this is exactly toyota fault product and dangerous and they must do it something before its to late. Finally today i got negative answer from Toyota Head Greece that they will charge me all the cost of this repair. Please guys because i read that this is common problem on many iq on many countries in europe someone that already know to give me advice or some mail of toyota europe or japan to inform them about behaviour of Greek Toyota . I already spoke with me lawyer and will send them letter also tomorrow. Please someones inform and help me . Thanks for your nice forum .

• Like 1

Hello Thomas - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

I think the issue that Toyota Greece probably has is with the fact that your car is out of warranty and has also (by the first owner) been taken outside the dealer network for servicing.

What can happen where cars outside warranty develop a fault and the manufacturer is asked to help with costs of repair, is that the manufacturer may make what is known as a goodwill contribution to cover all or part of the repair. Where the vehicle has a service history within the appropriate dealer network - in this case Toyota - a goodwill contribution is often agreed.

However, where the vehicle has been taken outside of the dealer network for servicing, it is common for a manufacturer to refuse a goodwill contribution, because they cannot determine whether the vehicle has been serviced in accordance with their requirements. This stance is common amongst most manufacturers.

• Like 1

I think the issue that Toyota Greece probably has is with the fact that your car is out of warranty and has also (by the first owner) been taken outside the dealer network for servicing.

What can happen where cars outside warranty develop a fault and the manufacturer is asked to help with costs of repair, is that the manufacturer may make what is known as a goodwill contribution to cover all or part of the repair. Where the vehicle has a service history within the appropriate dealer network - in this case Toyota - a goodwill contribution is often agreed.

However, where the vehicle has been taken outside of the dealer network for servicing, it is common for a manufacturer to refuse a goodwill contribution, because they cannot determine whether the vehicle has been serviced in accordance with their requirements. This stance is common amongst most manufacturers.

Hi and thank you for your fast reply . I already understand with which way thinking the Toyota Greece but they must be little flexible on any decision with my situation because I am the 3 owner I run to them to start a new book service and connection with them I accept and pay from the first day already 500 for benzin sensor repair and full service and I run from there with a smile . But now they don't knew about this service bulletin I saw them the papers for repair , never inform the fist owner for the problem and never send for him some letter for recall and I am reading on many Toyota forums that other dealers from other country's repair the same problem on iq on cars out from warranty without any cost . Why so the Toyota Hellas cant do this for some new client ? Thanks for your help :)
  • Like 1

Hi and thank you for your fast reply . I already understand with which way thinking the Toyota Greece but they must be little flexible on any decision with my situation because I am the 3 owner I run to them to start a new book service and connection with them I accept and pay from the first day already 500 for benzin sensor repair and full service and I run from there with a smile . But now they don't knew about this service bulletin I saw them the papers for repair , never inform the fist owner for the problem and never send for him some letter for recall and I am reading on many Toyota forums that other dealers from other country's repair the same problem on iq on cars out from warranty without any cost . Why so the Toyota Hellas cant do this for some new client ? Thanks for your help :)
I think you just have to wait until there will be an accident where the car stalls and somebody will die. Then Toyota HQ Japan will show some mourning crying managers on tv and make excuse and make a recall for this car.

TOYOTA JAPAN ARE YOU LISTENING? THIS IS A DANGEROUS FACTORY FAILURE AND YOU ARE IGNORING IT AND PUTTING THOUSANDS OF DRIVERS AT RISK!

I just gave up guys.

I'm the first and only owner of a toyota IQ (2009), I bought it in Italy and re-plated when I moved to Spain, now the car is registered in Spain.

I always serviced it at official Toyota dealers and about 1 year ago (80000km) I started experiencing this acceleration problem (see my previous posts). Now the car has nearly 100.000Km, I've been in touch with Toyota Italy (2500 euro to fix the problem) and Toyota Spain (1900 euro) but no way that they acknowledge the problem as a design fault (as it actually is). They just refuse to consider even a 50% contribution.

I'm really ****** off and I'm not going to spend 1900 euro on a car which worth maybe 4000, that's just ridiculous.

Yesterday I've been speaking with a non toyota garage in my city, we agreed to clean all the EGR related stuff (valve, collector and catalyser), the cost will be around 300 euro and hopefully it will do. In the meantime I just disconnected the electrical cable from the EGR, I got some flashing lights on the panel but at least now the car works as expected.

I'm glad to read the some Toyota owners from UK/north Europe managed to get the car repaired with no extra costs, that demonstrates that Toyota has a good post sale support, unfortunately that's not true in Spain/Italy and from what tommacgr says also in Greece.

I hope that with the cleaning my IQ would be able to last another 50000 km, after that, I'll change to a different brand.

I think you just have to wait until there will be an accident where the car stalls and somebody will die. Then Toyota HQ Japan will show some mourning crying managers on tv and make excuse and make a recall for this car.

TOYOTA JAPAN ARE YOU LISTENING? THIS IS A DANGEROUS FACTORY FAILURE AND YOU ARE IGNORING IT AND PUTTING THOUSANDS OF DRIVERS AT RISK!

See post 143 of this topic.

Hi guys again. Today i spoke with the fist owner of car , he inform me that from the first 12000 kilometres the car start lose acceleration and drinking benzine like crazy . He told me that run on toyota dealer and they told him that because is new car need some thousands kiliometers to breath the engine better haha funny. This guy he made the last oil change in 15000 kiliometeres and under this day none's inform him with letter for any recall or any service bulletin from Toyota company . The Toyota Japan inform about this problem with service bulletin all Europe dealers on 17 august 2011 thats mean that my car was already under warranty because is model of 3/2009 and no ones but no ones inform the first owner for that.

THIS IS FACTORY FAILURE AND I WILL NOT ACCEPT ANY CENTS OF COST , THE TOYOTA JAPAN OR EUROPE MUST CARE AND RESPECT THE OWNERS . THE CAR ALREADY START BE VERY DANGEROUS I CANT RUN FROM SIDE TO SIDE WITHOUT CHECK 20 TIMES IF CAR COMING AND HOW FAST. OWNERS SCREAMING TOYOTA TAKE POSITION OF THIS PROBLEM NOW.

Moderator note: shouting on the forum will not resolve anything - please refrain from doing so.

• Like 2

I just gave up guys.

I'm the first and only owner of a toyota IQ (2009), I bought it in Italy and re-plated when I moved to Spain, now the car is registered in Spain.

I always serviced it at official Toyota dealers and about 1 year ago (80000km) I started experiencing this acceleration problem (see my previous posts). Now the car has nearly 100.000Km, I've been in touch with Toyota Italy (2500 euro to fix the problem) and Toyota Spain (1900 euro) but no way that they acknowledge the problem as a design fault (as it actually is). They just refuse to consider even a 50% contribution.

I'm really ****** off and I'm not going to spend 1900 euro on a car which worth maybe 4000, that's just ridiculous.

Yesterday I've been speaking with a non toyota garage in my city, we agreed to clean all the EGR related stuff (valve, collector and catalyser), the cost will be around 300 euro and hopefully it will do. In the meantime I just disconnected the electrical cable from the EGR, I got some flashing lights on the panel but at least now the car works as expected.

I'm glad to read the some Toyota owners from UK/north Europe managed to get the car repaired with no extra costs, that demonstrates that Toyota has a good post sale support, unfortunately that's not true in Spain/Italy and from what tommacgr says also in Greece.

I hope that with the cleaning my IQ would be able to last another 50000 km, after that, I'll change to a different brand.

Hello my friend. Don't give up with your problem because the dealers that really want . They care only to charge from the owners the extra money and nothing else. Really i have better to park it on Toyota dealer and burn it from give any kind of cents for a failure from factory car. The problem exist from 17 Augoust of 2011 and Toyota Japan know about this . From this forum and from any kind of forum we must scream on Toyota Japan or Europe to care without any cost about our problems . Please any owners around the world must follow us here and give comments.

I inform you just that with my lawyer i will make all next moves and the next move is to send email in Toyota Japan if refuse i will make so good reputation for Toyota in any forum on internet in any channel . DONT GIVE UP MY FRIEND.

• Like 1

Maybe talk with a lawyer about this.

Make Toyota liable (faulty: sorry do not know the exact word) when you would have an accident that is caused by this problem / or an accident that can be led back to be caused by a faulty acceleration.

And see what Toyota says then.

In wanting my Catalyst replaced... I also wrote Toyota and told them they were responsible and liable in case of an accident due to this problem. This has helped in getting things done under warranty. I first had an offer with about € 2000,-... and sorry warranty does not count.

So maybe a letter from a lawyer (accusing Toyota in case of) would help.

Anyways... the dealer has a budget for this from the main Toyota.... a special budget to replace the Catalyst and some nuts and bolts.

No ... they do not replace the EGR.. Maybe only clean it a little.

BTW... Removing any control wires from the EGR seems pointless to me. This give false ratings to the ECU and only makes thins worse. This has been done with diesel engines...

This whole clogging of EGR is a problem with many cars..not only this iQ. But with this iQ they have built the Catalyst in a faulty manner (pipe exiting out the wrong place)

BTW2... Having the EGR cleaned is not very expensive..and lots of "normal" dealers can do this. SO have it cleaned first.

Make Toyota liable (faulty: sorry do not know the exact word) when you would have an accident that is caused by this problem / or an accident that can be led back to be caused by a faulty acceleration.

And see what Toyota says then.

In wanting my Catalyst replaced... I also wrote Toyota and told them they were responsible and liable in case of an accident due to this problem. This has helped in getting things done under warranty. I first had an offer with about € 2000,-... and sorry warranty does not count.

So maybe a letter from a lawyer (accusing Toyota in case of) would help.

Anyways... the dealer has a budget for this from the main Toyota.... a special budget to replace the Catalyst and some nuts and bolts.

No ... they do not replace the EGR.. Maybe only clean it a little.

BTW... Removing any control wires from the EGR seems pointless to me. This give false ratings to the ECU and only makes thins worse. This has been done with diesel engines...

This whole clogging of EGR is a problem with many cars..not only this iQ. But with this iQ they have built the Catalyst in a faulty manner (pipe exiting out the wrong place)

BTW2... Having the EGR cleaned is not very expensive..and lots of "normal" dealers can do this. SO have it cleaned first.

Hi and thanks for your reply. Its possible to send me the contact mail of Toyota ? You send mail on Toyota Head office in Japan or in Europe ? Thanks

• Like 1

Go to: www.toyota.eu

Contact details are provided there.

Go to www.toyota.eu

Contact details are provided there.

• Like 1

I thought exactly the same but believe me... it makes a difference. I was quite skeptic too but this morning the car was very responsive and in order to climb the small hill to the main gate of the house I just used a fraction of the acceleration I would normally need.

I'm not saying that this a long term solution, it's just a workaround for few days, until I'll bring my car to clean all the parts.

• Like 1

Hi guys again . I already make a big research on internet and many clients that send email with the problem on Toyota Japan HEADQUARTER they repair cars completely free. I will post now information with email and an example of another car .

Thank you for your e-mail of January 12, 2006 concerning your Corolla Altis.

We are sorry to learn of the situation you have encountered.

In order to ensure a thorough review of the situation as described, your concern has been referred to UMW Toyota Motor Sdn. Bhd., whom you have already contacted, since they are responsible for resolving customer concerns. You will be contacted by that office in the near future.

Thank you for taking the time to write and bringing this matter to our attention.

Best regards,

Kaznori Harada
General Manager
Overseas Operations Dept.

• Like 1

The contact mail for Toyota Japan guys is ap-overseas@mail.toyota.co.jp.

• Like 1

Hello my friend. Don't give up with your problem because the dealers that really want . They care only to charge from the owners the extra money and nothing else. Really i have better to park it on Toyota dealer and burn it from give any kind of cents for a failure from factory car. The problem exist from 17 Augoust of 2011 and Toyota Japan know about this . From this forum and from any kind of forum we must scream on Toyota Japan or Europe to care without any cost about our problems . Please any owners around the world must follow us here and give comments.

I inform you just that with my lawyer i will make all next moves and the next move is to send email in Toyota Japan if refuse i will make so good reputation for Toyota in any forum on internet in any channel . DONT GIVE UP MY FRIEND.

I understand your frustration Thomas, believe me.

I had the same idea initially: go to a lawyer. Maybe it will do, maybe not but it definitely takes time and I honestly don't care that much about the car.

The overall product quality from Toyota has fallen down in the last 10 years. I remember driving my Yaris for 130000km with not a single problem and I managed to sell it for an incredible price: that car was reliable!

My friends have a Verso and a new Yaris and they both experienced problem with the engine after only 40000 km. Not to mention the internals quality... plastic with very bad finishing.

Reducing costs to maintain profitability always comes with a price.

My next car won't be a Toyota, I believe Toyota won't cry for losing a customer.

I was talking with Toyota.nl... in Holland..

And I did it with email.

Here: sorry in Dutch... but it says that if I have any questions I can address this mail-address ...

Indien u daarnaast nog vragen en/of opmerkingen heeft, !Removed! u mij bereiken via
het gratis telefoonnummer 0800-0369. Wij zijn op werkdagen bereikbaar
van 09.00 tot 17.00 uur. Mailen !Removed! u naar info@toyota.nl.

LOUWMAN & PARQUI B.V.

Pim Verbeeten
Toyota Informatie Center

PS @ Gabric098... I was looking at an old Toyota Yaris Verso... maybe this can replace the iQ. Not so many cars nowadays that are so well made as a Toyota... I can not think of any other car...than maybe an other iQ (1.3 engine)... :-)

Like this one: m1cyhv3b399x_480_zps25e3d493.jpg

and

vers-red_zpsa907ea57.jpg

As with any large manufacturer, where one writes to the Corporate Headquarters, the communication will be forwarded to the part of the organisation that deals with the country you reside in, for them to endeavour to resolve your issue, and you will receive a holding reply from Corporate.

• Like 1

Has anyone thought about fitting a blanking plate to the EGR valve?

This was common practice a while ago on people looking to cure problems or extract more power from the engine and all you do is unbolt the join between the EGR valve and the pipe leading to it, slide in a plate that blocks the hole into the valve then bolt it back up again.

The EGR valve is still in place, Still connected, looks factory fit and the car still believes it's working but no gasses flow through it as the blanking plate is preventing it.

If I owned a 1.0 iQ and I was faced with the same issue, it's the first thing I would try.

Craig.

• Like 1

That's an interesting idea Craig,

I'll have a word with my mechanic an see what he says.

It's still a workaround and probably will lead to higher petrol consumption (I believe), but it's worth to try.

Yeah, Not sure what the fuel consumption implications will be.

In theory the emissions will be different but not sure if it would use more fuel or not.

Be interesting to see what happens if you do try it. I'm guessing that disconnecting the EGR wires leaves the valve closed so a blanking plate would be the same as you have now but without the warning lights on the dash.

Craig.

Nope....do not do this... a lot of this has been done..all of them backfired.... (not literally :-) )

The ECU does need the info.

Maybe go back to carburetor of the Beetle (old model) with a heatspring adjusted choke... :-D

34pict_01_zps875870eb.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links