Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avg Mpg?

Lisa H

Afternoon all

Ok, I've been looking at the mode button and trying to figure the average MPG. Mine is delivering 42.0 MPG on average, is this right?

I expected her to do better than that. Haven't been thrashing her ever, just nice and steady motorway driving.

Also, how many miles can you get out of a full tank? Does it say somewhere when you fill it up or do you have to rely on the bars on the dash?

Thanks in advance

Lisa

Hi Lisa

I think the thoughts on here are that the bars mean very little. Quite often I would be on reseve with it flashing, I would stop maybe over night then I would be on 2 bars like the faries would put fuel in for me while I slept. Some times It would do another 75 miles before being back to flashing one bar. The reason for all of this we believe is the iQ having a flat fuel tank. Also the average mpg display is not to be believed , sometimes I would start out and the average would be 36 and rise depending on driving style and type of road to 48. Other times it would start at 25 and take forever to increase usually got where im going by then. I would say that the best bet is to use the trip option and run it till you nearly run out and do the maths on it. People have said you get about 50 miles after you see the reserve flashing although i have not tested that theory. Mine is an auto and i get about 42 round town and 52 on the motorway. Hope that helps. I expect there are more clued up people on here who keep records of their trips and mpg that might be able to help more

David

Thanks David, mine is not delivering 50mpg on the motorway but that said it was quite a short journey (15 miles) with three people in it.

I'm going to fill her up next week and then use the trip meter to see how many miles I get to a full tank. I've yet to have the petrol fairies visit my house.

The car continues to grow on me more and more each day!

Cheers Lisa

Hope you are enjoying the car.

Your tank holds easily 7 gallons,(32 litres) if you fill to the brim that is about 8 gallons & a bit..

50mpg will be safe for 350 mles.

45 mpg just 315.

with 7 gallons in, (not extra up the tube) if you fill up more than 10 litres of fuel your AVG MPG should reset to 0.

When you drive off you can get it showing up to around 68 MPG. (more is possible hypermiling, this figure will drop quickily next time you start the vehicle from cold)

This will probable drop to your 55 mpg if driving normally or less if using it harder from the fill up.

The 'AVG' does not move much over the next 300 miles or so of use IME.

many miles of easy driving slowly raises the figure,

a few miles of hard driving drops it quickly.

It will then probably stick around the 48-55 mpg untill the next time you put in more than 10 litres or you fill the tank.

Depending on your driving obviously.

when the Reserve light flashes i would get fuel in before 50 miles, you might well be OK for 100 miles, 60 is the most i went & with care, because i was carrying no spare fuel

& was not sure of getting fuel because i was on a jaunt that ended up lasting longer than planned.

have fun

george

Lisa,

Running about the local area I never get less than 55mpg unless the trip is say less than 10 miles, and on longer runs, say of over 100 miles I have averaged 64 mpg in the past.

That is the indicated mpg on a carefully calibrated Scangauge2 which I have fitted as an extra engine monitor, and not the inbuilt trip computer.

I just drive "normally", not trying too hard to be economical or being a boy-racer (not really possible in an IQ!) either.

Also remember that new engines typically use more fuel than one that has been run in. Wait 'til you've got 600-1000 miles on the clock then start working out your mpg properly. Chances are, as you get used to driving the car more, you'll learn what it's capable of and that too might help with mpg. Modern engines run on finer tolerances than older ones, so the running in period is usually shorter on modern cars.

As far as mpg goes, weather and traffic conditions have a large effect, so you'll struggle to meet the manufacturers mpg rating. My iQ 1.0L manual usually gets around 50-60mpg, depending on what roads I've been driving on, and all the other factors.

Hope you are enjoying the car.

Your tank holds easily 7 gallons,(32 litres) if you fill to the brim that is about 8 gallons & a bit..

50mpg will be safe for 350 mles.

45 mpg just 315.

with 7 gallons in, (not extra up the tube) if you fill up more than 10 litres of fuel your AVG MPG should reset to 0.

When you drive off you can get it showing up to around 68 MPG. (more is possible hypermiling, this figure will drop quickily next time you start the vehicle from cold)

This will probable drop to your 55 mpg if driving normally or less if using it harder from the fill up.

The 'AVG' does not move much over the next 300 miles or so of use IME.

many miles of easy driving slowly raises the figure,

a few miles of hard driving drops it quickly.

It will then probably stick around the 48-55 mpg untill the next time you put in more than 10 litres or you fill the tank.

Depending on your driving obviously.

when the Reserve light flashes i would get fuel in before 50 miles, you might well be OK for 100 miles, 60 is the most i went & with care, because i was carrying no spare fuel

& was not sure of getting fuel because i was on a jaunt that ended up lasting longer than planned.

have fun

george

Thanks George, excellent detailed advice. Just what I needed.

Cheers Lisa

Lisa,

Running about the local area I never get less than 55mpg unless the trip is say less than 10 miles, and on longer runs, say of over 100 miles I have averaged 64 mpg in the past.

That is the indicated mpg on a carefully calibrated Scangauge2 which I have fitted as an extra engine monitor, and not the inbuilt trip computer.

I just drive "normally", not trying too hard to be economical or being a boy-racer (not really possible in an IQ!) either.

I try not to drive like a "girl racer" too but its hard in such a cracking car :thumbsup:

Also remember that new engines typically use more fuel than one that has been run in. Wait 'til you've got 600-1000 miles on the clock then start working out your mpg properly. Chances are, as you get used to driving the car more, you'll learn what it's capable of and that too might help with mpg. Modern engines run on finer tolerances than older ones, so the running in period is usually shorter on modern cars.

As far as mpg goes, weather and traffic conditions have a large effect, so you'll struggle to meet the manufacturers mpg rating. My iQ 1.0L manual usually gets around 50-60mpg, depending on what roads I've been driving on, and all the other factors.

Thanks for the reply. My car isn't new, its 2009 IQ2 with 18500 on the clock so definately past the running in stage. Your right though, as I do drive the car more I will learn what it is capable off regarding MPG.

Cheers Lisa

Does anyone know if the last segment on the fuel gauge actually disappears before running out of fuel?

I doubt they disappear, I filled up the other day when it was flashing (i had left it flashing for a few days) I actually put 32.05 litres in the car so it must have been running on fumes haha

On mine, i get about 100miles on the first bar, 30 miles on the next 4 and 100 miles on the last flashing bar, the flashing doesnt stop if you run out of fuel!!

Don't forget my fuel bar experiment, with 55mpg you have 100miles + when the last bar starts flashing. Thats a seriously long way. I covered over 400 miles and still did not run out, so would say 450 miles is easily possible with 55 - 60mpg.

Over 14k miles I have averaged 55mpg according to fuelly, lowest has been about 43mpg (in the winter) and 73mpg not so long ago (208 miles until 2nd blob dissapeared). I always work out on brim to brim rather than relying on the trip computer. For 73mpg it was combo of motorway and A roads with some town driving aswell, with 2 adults and 2 kids in the car....readout showed 63mpg...

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if the last segment on the fuel gauge actually disappears before running out of fuel?

Well I can tell you what happens when you run out of fuel. At about 2-3 miles left in the tank the reserve light flashes quite fast. I was about 50 yrds from Tesco's when the car stopped. Fortunately, it restarted and was able to get into the station. Note for all,there wasn't any signs it was going to happen. I paced it when it first started to flash and gave it mentally up to 50miles left.It stopped at 31miles so be careful.

I am not complaining in any way, Its good to know where I stand. So no the last segment doesn't go out , the car does.

David

• Like 1

It is a bit more than a gallon, (1.5 gallon possibly)

so if it is 6 litres and you are getting 10 miles to the litre,

so that would be 60 miles safely.

(i have done 55 miles and had fingers crossed)

15 miles to the litre would be 90 miles.

Hardly worth chancing/risking more than 50 miles from flashing incase of getting held up someplace IMO.

george

So David how many miles do you think you can get when the light first starts to flash untill the car stops?

Well Difficult to say. I was probably blowing close to the wind. This time I only got 31 miles but remember I have a K&N filter so it does like a good squirt of fuel. Probably 50 or more driven normally. But its a risk business and of course the longer you have the car the more sediment in the bottom of the tank so you don't want to be running out.

David

The first two times my last bar started to flash i filled up within a couple of miles. Both times I only managed to get 22 Litres in, so that means I still had 10 Litres in the tank (2.19 UK Gallons). Having averaged 52 mpg for the first 22 Liters I calculated with 2 Gallons I should get roughly another 104 miles out of it, so i went to work and back plus a bit extra and ended up doing 90 miles. When I filled up I put in 31.4 Liters eek.gif so was pretty close to running out yes.gif I was expecting a buzzer or something when the petrol got really low.

The first two times my last bar started to flash i filled up within a couple of miles. Both times I only managed to get 22 Litres in, so that means I still had 10 Litres in the tank (2.19 UK Gallons). Having averaged 52 mpg for the first 22 Liters I calculated with 2 Gallons I should get roughly another 104 miles out of it, so i went to work and back plus a bit extra and ended up doing 90 miles. When I filled up I put in 31.4 Liters eek.gif so was pretty close to running out yes.gif I was expecting a buzzer or something when the petrol got really low.

Hi Mark

The light does flash quite fast at the end Then its tine to PANIC!!!!!!!

Like I said i think I had about 2-3 miles then dead

David

So David how many miles do you think you can get when the light first starts to flash untill the car stops?

Well Difficult to say. I was probably blowing close to the wind. This time I only got 31 miles but remember I have a K&N filter so it does like a good squirt of fuel. Probably 50 or more driven normally. But its a risk business and of course the longer you have the car the more sediment in the bottom of the tank so you don't want to be running out.

David

I don't understand this myth about sediment in the tank, surely the fuel pump by design has to feed fuel from the bottom of the tank, so if there is any sediment in there you are at risk of picking it up regardless of fuel level.

Maybe it is a myth. I can tell you that a friend of mine some how got a small tear in his tank and decided to weld it. Totally insane I know but He starts by draining it into a new washing up bowl (Only had about 3 ltrs left in it) when he finally emptied it, there was a fair bit of silt like debris that came out. Maybe from the surface of the inside of the tank. Don't know. Also if it is present and gets stirred up, maybe it only effected carbs and not fuel injectors. Speculation on my front . expect there are far more qualified people on here to reply. Like George for instance. OH my mate, he isn't dead. He welded it under water. first time fe used a snorkel and mask he said lol

David

It's a myth from the old days... with rusting tanks and water in the petrol and paint-remnants ..

Cars would last 5 years and the doors/hubcaps/rooftop/fenders/and all the rest... would fall off due to rust...

"All the parts falling of this car, are handmade by Leyland Inc" :crybaby:

And....

Also there's a filtersystem...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links