Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avg Mpg?

Lisa H

So there you heard it from the Dentist's mouth

David

Hope ... that ... thats a "good" thing ... hè hè ... B)

Peter

Remember my experiment?

It all depends on what your have averaged on MPG as to what you will get out of the last bar.

I have always got 100+ miles out of it averaging 60 + mpg.

If I average 55mpg then I tend to work on the 60 mile theory.

Remember my experiment?

It all depends on what your have averaged on MPG as to what you will get out of the last bar.

I have always got 100+ miles out of it averaging 60 + mpg.

If I average 55mpg then I tend to work on the 60 mile theory.

Ok, then whats my 31 dead MPG going to be?

David

Not much - probably around 40 miles.

Actually, I don't rely on my display much really it kinda gets to around 44 and goes up and down by about 1 mph no matter what I do. It doesn't bother me, I just like it Blue.lol

David

• 2 weeks later...

Im averaging about 47 mpg on mine, was hoping for more. its only got 1800 miles on the clock, do you think its been run in properly?!?

For the last 2 times ive been filling once the bar flashes and end up only getting about 25 litres in. meaning i have around 7 litres left in the car.

Ive done 259 miles and only used 25 litres so when i worked out my average was about 47, which was roughly what my comp was showing too. Can the average reader be trusted?

how is everyone getting such high mpg averages?

Will there ever be a fix for the flat fuel tank?

M.

Try 2 tank fulls of Sainsbury Super Unleaded or Tesco Momentum & see if it improves, should work out better for the 60 pence a gallon extra.

Where do you drive, town or Motorway or mixture of or

short journeys?

The cars design requires a flat tank, cant see that changing.

8 gallons (36 plus litres) if you are filling brim to brim for checking.

Use 7 gallons at 47 mpg & you are OK for 330 miles.

No the Average reader can not be trusted.

Fill up & can you get it to show 65mpg right off driving easy from the filling station?

Next day that is usually showing around the 48 mpg pretty soon.

Hardly moves much without driving very differently.

Is it a manual or a Multidrive.

Try using a different driving technique to get better fuel consumption.

Its a VVTi engine and does quite well when being reved IME rather than building up slow watching the ECO light..

Check your tyre pressures.

Air con on can be loosing you 3-5 MPG.

It will improve with 3000 miles on the clock hopefully.

george

Thanks George.

Its a manual and i do a mixture of motorway and city driving.

Im going to try get 330 miles out of it and fill it with some super unleaded. Im use to using v-power from Shell though, i dont like using super market fuels even if theres no difference.

So do you think its still at the 'new' engine stage?

Im trying not to rev it too much and being careful and still only achieving 47mpg, so hopefully it will improve.

brim to brim? if you dont mind me asking, how you do that without getting any petrol leaking out onto the paint work :)

M.

The fuel pump will automatically stop when the level in the tank reachs the nozzle. It will not overfill and pour out of the tank.

Some Supermarkets might buy fuel on the market at best price or refinery,(always to a standard in UK, & winter UK fuel now)

but the minimum octane must always be met (some exceed the minimum by quite a bit)

& Sainsbury super 99 octaine & Tesco Momentum 100 octane performed better IMO & IME

for the lower price in my area than Shell V Power,

i did revert back to Shell Fuel Saver 95 octane when the iQ brain decided that it would treat me to economy.

I find when running in a car that it is not only the engine that starts to perform better,

it is the Coating on the new brake discs that wears off in the first 1000 miles on so & the pads are freeer,(no such word or effect probably) the bearings are all running better etc, tyres settled in,

most importantly the drivers driving settles to the cars gears and rev range.

george

As this was my first tank in my iQ2 with a mix of motorway (collection from the stealers) and working in the city, I got an average of 45.33mpg. The little trip computer says the average was 49, but we all know how out they can be.

Motorway distance = 83 miles

Town/city driving = 200 miles

Fill up was 28.38 litres

There's some way to go before I get the best MPG, but I'm just loving how fun this thing is to dart around the city in. :)

Fish

I hate the unreliability of the fuel gauge.. last tank i got the flashing bottom bar and immediately filled up, to find i got 23litres in it, which is about 9 litres left over, which means about 2 gallons, and i was averaging about 47 MPG so would have easily got another 100 miles.

Just filled up my tank and got about 21 litres in, meaning i had even more fuel than the first time, but only difference is ive been driving for about 60 miles since it started flashing....

What a joke..

M.

Hi Lisa

When my iQ3 started to flash on the last bar, I filled it up and the tank took 22 litres. That means I had about 10 litres in the tank. I then purchased Fuel Calc (App) from Corbenic Consulting Ltd for the iPhone. You just record mileage and how many litres each time you fill up. It then gives you your MPG over a longer period. I am getting about 38 around town.

I'm afraid the iQ's are not as fuel efficient as people would like.

Requires clarification so those reading that may be non familiar with iQ's.

& Smart owners & Smart forum members.(Also Fiat 500 Twinair owners disapointed with their economy compared to suggested MPG)

'iQ' or 'iQ2' = 1.0 litre 3 cylinder engine which comes fitted with Manual or CVT gearbox.

'iQ 3' = 1.3 litre, 4 cylinder engine which comes fitted with Manual or CVT gearbox.

One type of engine might be quite a bit more economical than the other.

george

Requires clarification so those reading that may be non familiar with iQ's.

& Smart owners & Smart forum members.(Also Fiat 500 Twinair owners disapointed with their economy compared to suggested MPG)

'iQ' or 'iQ2' = 1.0 litre 3 cylinder engine which comes fitted with Manual or CVT gearbox.

'iQ 3' = 1.3 litre, 4 cylinder engine which comes fitted with Manual or CVT gearbox.

One type of engine might be quite a bit more economical than the other.

george

Very true.

As has been said a few times in this forum, the IQ3 with CVT can give very disappointing MPG figures, but then people that buy the IQ3 over the IQ1 or 2 are not looking for economy, in particular.

Mine will be the iQ2 1.0 Manual. It's the one biggest thing that people never post the model they are driving.

Fish

Hi LisaWhen my iQ3 started to flash on the last bar, I filled it up and the tank took 22 litres. That means I had about 10 litres in the tank. I then purchased Fuel Calc (App) from Corbenic Consulting Ltd for the iPhone. You just record mileage and how many litres each time you fill up. It then gives you your MPG over a longer period. I am getting about 38 around town.I'm afraid the iQ's are not as fuel efficient as people would like.

Why buy an App when you can use Fuelly.com for free :thumbsup:

Mine will be the iQ2 1.0 Manual. It's the one biggest thing that people never post the model they are driving.Fish

People should make sure thier profiles are filled in and up to date with car model and variant ;)

• 1 month later...

I thought I would resurrect this thread as my petrol consumption seems rather high.

I have only had the car, an iq2 Auto, for about two weeks and tonight I did the calculation after filling it with petrol...........a mere 36.63 to the gallon !!! I am shocked. This has been from a bit of driving around town but over 100 miles tonight on the motorway and I rarely went over the 70 limit and stuck to 60 most of the time.

I don't speed, I drive in a fairly gentle manner and I am really cross that I bought this tiny little thing to save money on fuel but the rather large car we have just got rid of, did a lot more to the gallon.

Where am I going wrong? Any ideas?

Welcome to the forum.

Just to be sure how you did your calculations.

How many miles did you cover,

How many litres of petrol did you use,

Did you fill to the top untill you could see the petrol & then refill to the same level.

Are you going by the Cars computer or

actually working it out on 4.546 litres to the gallon. ??

(who's fuel are you buying?

Is the car standard on standard size tyres & have you checked the tyre pressures are correct?

Does it require a new air filter???

possibly even new spark plugs.

Check that it has been serviced properly & not an over tightened/adjusted hand brake etc)

george

George is the expert on this one and many other things.

I can add that there have been times when my display has shown an average of 38.4 and stayed like that for days until i have refuelled. I have been flashing on last digit for 15 miles stopped the car for a shop visit and re-started and have 2 bars and all is well before flashing started again some 50miles!! later. The display is just not to be believed. George's method is the only true measurement.

David

Cheers, but PMSL & sprayed the screen with coffee.

Sadly it is just i am so boring that i count miles & fuel as i drive along

& can remember exactly the distances of every journey i have ever travelled since 1976 & the MPG of every vehicle if the cash money comes out of my own pocket.

(doesnt stop me driving just for the fun of it & often booting it, just that i still try to do that economically. lol not)

Have a nice New Year all

& lang may yer lum reek.

george

Cheers, but PMSL & sprayed the screen with coffee.

Sadly it is just i am so boring that i count miles & fuel as i drive along

& can remember exactly the distances of every journey i have ever travelled since 1976 & the MPG of every vehicle if the cash money comes out of my own pocket.

(doesnt stop me driving just for the fun of it & often booting it, just that i still try to do that economically. lol not)

Have a nice New Year all

& lang may yer lum reek.

george

I have such a poor memory for journey's I can travel the same road for weeks but to me it seems new every journey. I used to only go a few miles before satnav because that is only the amount of left and rights I can remember.Yet strangely I can still remember the price of every item i sold when I worked in a electrical shop in 1971.

Have a Good year every one. George i think I PM'd you recently but can't remember what for now

David

Thank you for the replies everyone.

I did the check by how much fuel I put in and in fact, it was less than the computer was telling me. I just fill it until the pump stops and leave it at that. I then put the information into an app on my phone and it works out the MPG.

I used Shell petrol each time.

No idea about the tyres whether they are standard or not, suspect they are. I will check the pressures though.

I bought it with 9000 miles on the clock and it had a service done at about 6000 (cant remember offhand) so I am assuming air filter, spark plugs etc are ok. I have it in my head that the first service should be done at 10,000 miles..........is that correct?

Since my last post, we have now got it up to 42.82 per gallon but that was all motorway driving so I am rather disappointed.

Will let you know what the usage is after the next fill up but the computer is telling me 52.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links