Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla D4D Mpg Problem

tcawley

hey guys.

finally got myself a 2006 1.4 D4D Corolla a month or two ago with nearly 50000km on the clock and a brand new clutch fitted. also came with new tires and a full service from the dealer. was bought off a dealer. had to have the new clutch fitted because it was owned by an 80 year old man previously who bought it from new and burned the clutch out. I have put about 5000km on the car in the last maybe 2 months that i've had it. lovely car to drive but i have one problem with it. I was getting around 50-60mpg in the beginning but now im only getting 40-45 mpg. I had been running it off 30 euro a week i diesel and driving about 550km per week. Last week i stopped driving it so hard and just dorve 'properly' because while i drove it hard it was costing me around 40 or 50 euro a week for 550km. after a full weeks driving properly and only doing about 480km I have spent 40 euro on diesel for it. What could I check to see where the problem is. The air filter was fine when I looked at it 3 weeks ago but I may clean it anyways just incase. Has anyone here got any ideas what else I can check to find the problem.

Thanks

Hey,

I'm not a diesel man, but think your problem may be the ERG valve needs cleaning - its been covered many times in this forum, a quick search should show all the threads

EGR valve is not usually a problem on cars that get driven a lot; It's the ones that only get driven around town at sub-2000rpm all the time that tend to get that problem.

More likely candidate is the cold making the engine less efficient (Cold diesels have no power at all and this is compounded by the fact that diesel engines take longer to warm up than petrols). Maybe tyre pressures are down also (due to cold :P) which also lowers mpg.

IIRC winter diesel gives less mpg too due to the anti-gelling agents they put in it.

Still, 10mpg drop is pretty big!

to be honest with you if you think you were getting 50-60mpg from your 2.0d4d you were either working it out wrong or in dream land or believing what the trip computer told you. (sorry to put it so harsh).

getting 40-45mpg around town is spot on for that engine when being driven normally. i usually get 38mpg around town and upwards on motorway run. as stated the summer to winter transition is big in a diesel, having had my diesel 2 years it still hits me and then i realise the temperatures are starting to drop.

don't bother cleaning egr, it's a waste of time. you may want to check when the fuel filter was last changed, if more than 30,000 then change it and also you may want to try some forte diesel system cleaner, it is an injector cleaner works quite good but don't use it regularly. personally i use forte once a year (i'm doing over 20,000 per year) and every 2-3 months i throw in redex one shot treatment.

the quality of diesel you use matters more than petrol too. stick to good quality fuel, Shell and bp are good.

by the way those figures are miles not kilometers.

and well done for buying the best engine in the corolla range :D

you may want to check when the fuel filter was last changed, if more than 30,000 then change it and also you may want to try some forte diesel system cleaner, it is an injector cleaner works quite good

Yeah get it serviced if you haven`t already done so and as an alternative to Forte try BG 244 :)

http://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/product.php/3/bg-244-diesel-fuel-cleaner

Surely u mean the 2nd best engine in the corolla range! :thumbsup:

to be honest with you if you think you were getting 50-60mpg from your 2.0d4d you were either working it out wrong or in dream land or believing what the trip computer told you. (sorry to put it so harsh).

getting 40-45mpg around town is spot on for that engine when being driven normally. i usually get 38mpg around town and upwards on motorway run. as stated the summer to winter transition is big in a diesel, having had my diesel 2 years it still hits me and then i realise the temperatures are starting to drop.

don't bother cleaning egr, it's a waste of time. you may want to check when the fuel filter was last changed, if more than 30,000 then change it and also you may want to try some forte diesel system cleaner, it is an injector cleaner works quite good but don't use it regularly. personally i use forte once a year (i'm doing over 20,000 per year) and every 2-3 months i throw in redex one shot treatment.

the quality of diesel you use matters more than petrol too. stick to good quality fuel, shell and bp are good.

I can't understand why ur driving around in a dirty diesel when your only getting 38mpg?!! :blink:

I would much rather have the T sport and get 26 - 30 mpg and not have to drive round in a soot machine...but 20k miles a year is too much in the T sport :lol:

the quality of diesel you use matters more than petrol too. stick to good quality fuel, shell and bp are good.

i have a 1.4 D4D not a 2.0. thanks for your answer but i fixed the problem.

I can't understand why ur driving around in a dirty diesel when your only getting 38mpg?!! :blink:

I would much rather have the T sport and get 26 - 30 mpg and not have to drive round in a soot machine...but 20k miles a year is too much in the T sport :lol:

1.4 D4D FTW quite a fast engine if you want it to be.

As reguards the problem. I fixed it by simply removing the air filter and putting it back in again. No idea how that helped but it fixed the problem :D tested it on a short 8km drive and got 50mpg at the end of the journey and that was with harsh acceleration at the beginning. Thanks for ye're help :)

Lol, read the Diesel vs Petrol thread...no offence to anyone who has one but the t-sport really is a pants car mate. it's not that fast and there's no torque either. it's kind of a distinctly average car because for the sort of MPGs the t-sport returns you can get much faster petrol engined cars.

But that's just my opinion, i just prefer the lazy torquey drive of a diesel. i've never been into "fast" cars much anyway. call me an old man or whatever but i'd rather have a 3.0 diesel big saloon like a a6 or 5 series over a gti or r32 or t-sport. auto box, torque, smooth quiet drive that's my preferences :)

i'd love to have a 535d mmmmm .... :D

Lol, read the Diesel vs Petrol thread...no offence to anyone who has one but the t-sport really is a pants car mate. it's not that fast and there's no torque either. it's kind of a distinctly average car because for the sort of MPGs the t-sport returns you can get much faster petrol engined cars.

But that's just my opinion, i just prefer the lazy torquey drive of a diesel. i've never been into "fast" cars much anyway. call me an old man or whatever but i'd rather have a 3.0 diesel big saloon like a a6 or 5 series over a gti or r32 or t-sport. auto box, torque, smooth quiet drive that's my preferences :)

I've taken both the auris superdiesel thing and your 2.0d4d when waiting for my T sport to go through its MOT and yes, they make you feel lazy...in fact i nearly feel asleep :eek:

Have you EVER driven a T sport or are you just going on what you read on parkers?

lads its all about fuel economy these days, for most of us anyways :P

lads its all about fuel economy these days, for most of us anyways :P

Unless your on Top Gear :D

Oh and a 535d is nice but I preferred the Jag 2.7d at the time not as fast but svelte :yes:

• Like 1

you may want to check when the fuel filter was last changed, if more than 30,000 then change it and also you may want to try some forte diesel system cleaner, it is an injector cleaner works quite good

Yeah get it serviced if you haven`t already done so and as an alternative to Forte try BG 244 :)

http://www.powerenha...el-fuel-cleaner

I've used both Forte and BG244 and the Forte is no where as good as the 244! :thumbsup:

A 535d with a Tunit box on it would be big fun! Oh yes :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I've used both Forte and BG244 and the Forte is no where as good as the 244! :thumbsup:

Are you on comish as well ? :lol:

Are you on comish as well ? :lol:

Lol! No my mate... Just good old Welsh boy from the moutains and the floods :thumbsup:

Lol! No my mate... Just good old Welsh boy from the moutains and the floods :thumbsup:

Floods ??

Is it a bit damp then ?

Floods ??

Is it a bit damp then ?

Not atm... But give it a chance when the snow comes and melts the river Taff can burst its banks. :blink:

In a respectful manner, I'd be interested to know why you think its pants :)

In a respectful manner, I'd be interested to know why you think its pants :)

i dont think the t-sport is pants TBH .. and may i intrest you in a ride in my corolla next year ? :D it may change your mind bout slow :)

No offence to diesel owners... Iv been there had them, mapped. I had a 330d e46 mapped to 256bhp with 390 ft lbs... Yes it was fast, with many others Bora st tdi, ibiza cupra...etc. But in reality the corolla would have beaten the cupra and the bora, the 330d no but thats over 60bhp and tons of torque. The Corolla isnt fast, but then neither is a civic type r or a focus st etc... And jus for the record.. Iv whooped both the new 330d and audi a5 3.0 tdi in my Corolla t sport :)

T sports are a very fun car, but Corolla D4d is actually insulting the 2zz engine, which is also in the celica and elise...both awesome cars to drive, both of which do NOT come in a diesel.

If you prefer the auto box, torque, smooth quiet drive then why not add cruise control and auto steering?? or just get the train and let someone else control it all.

Petrol Vs Diesel is down to each individual persons needs

But the T sport is far from pants, i would understand that coming from someone who drives 40k plus super cars, but from someone who has the same chassis with a worse suspension set up and an oil burner upfront then its an insult

I think the tsport is not "pants", if it was pants why would so many people own them, if it was i would have got rid of my tsport and got a "not pants car".

Another t sport owner piling in here lol

Interesting that an owner of a lower spec Corolla calls the T sport pants, ignorance is bliss eh?

True it isn't the best car in the world but when the best cars are somewhere north of £100k then no one would expect it to be. If you look at what you can get in terms of age, mileage, spec and performance for the money then the T Sport is one of THE Hot hatch bargains around and with a few quid spent on it to sort the handling there isn't a huge amount to criticise it on.

Sure the mpg isn't super brilliant but we are talking about a car that produces 190bhp, any car I have owned with that sort of bhp in that size of car has always been very similar +/-

Years ago I had a A3 t sport averaged around 33mpg and had 150bhp, then had a t sport quattro with 180 bhp now that had bad economy!!!

My main criticism of the T sport is the pointless 6th gear which is a total joke, as for the lack of torque I, as the Gent and no doubt others could very well show you a comprehensive list of cars that have suffered at the hands of the Corolla T Sport which you wouldn't expect.

Anyway I reckon my wifes MR2 is better than the T Sport and can do 40mpg..........................runs

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links