Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Number 3 ?

CharlieFarlie

Not wanting to appear a bit dim but from what I've read, about the only thing not changed on your motor is the ECU, could this be a problem or have I got the nasty smelly end of the stick?
i might be the ecu as it's not the first time toyota has a problem with an ecu, search for rav 4 automatic ecu ecu's are controlling everything in cars these days... this might also why nothing was stored :g:

i have been following this with interest having bought an 07 XT4 a few months ago (72K) i did notice that it has a sticker in the engine bay that states "ECU reprogramed 2008". At the moment I have no problems or issues, runs really well, brilliant vehicle for long journeys, fingers crossed!!

Mate My one had a sticker on top of the airbox stating that some kind of ECU upgrade was done and a date that it was carried out.. Sticker is still there but the writing that was done in indelible marker has faded away so cant read it !

Don. It is likely that something was overlooked and I/We shall never know......

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CharlieFarlie

• jedi134

• anchorman

• Mistermena

...........and even Jedi aspired to the fact (in one of his more legible, relevant, bordering on the helpful, postings....), Toyota GB are almost definitely NOT picking up the ongoing tab for Charlie's woes, coz somebody dropped a clanger when rebuilding / refitting Charlies lump, and the dealer will be bending over backwards partly for that reason. Dealer will not want an angry Charlie comitting this saga to paper....they would be lucky to get a Freelander Franchise thereafter.

Totally respect the input of T Spirit Pete too regarding the Lindop Kit, and offer the facility should anybody want to try mine before and after its fitment, just shout, even more so if you are tempted to buy Charlie's Chip Kit at what is a stonking price. I feel certain that if even Lindop thought there was any co-relation between their kit and engine problems, they or Toyota would have said by now.

(Yeehah....more golf balls...!!!!)

Big Kev

On paper, a tuning box should keep the engine within operating limits. We know the engine is fragile and have seen failures on the 140bhp...it appears the 180 is more susceptible to failure (and that is a tweaked version)...the tuning box is increasing the work the dodgy engine has to do again!

I would love a Lindop...but I worry that it could speed up the engine's demise?

On the other hand..if Toyota are replacing engines without protest..then it may be worth enjoying the power knowing there is still plenty of time to get engine sorted if it goes?

Oh....what to do??

Re Lindop kit.

Lets turn back the clock a wee bit...

First engine never had the lindop kit fitted.. It was bought just after engine number one was fitted and I thought I had a car for a few Years....

All ran fine with that engine for the first 5.000 miles. After that it started drinking oil.. It never smoked or showed signs of an overheat...

So I cannot believe any contribution to the 2nd engine was made by the fitting of said kit....

Engine 2 was duly fitted and after a while I fitted the Lindop kit.. Then I arranged for a Guy from local to where I live to view the car so removed it after one week and approximately 200 miles.. It was carefully stored in My tool chest up at home and is there now

So I cannot believe any contribution to the 3rd engine was made by the fitting of said kit....

The kit was fitted NOT for any performance gains as anyone who has a T180 will know that the standard 180 BHP is fast enough and the handling and brakes on the cars could not stand being driven hard anyway..

It was fitted after driving Kevs car and the feeling of smooth useable and tractable power in the lower revs was felt PLUS the substantial gains in local driving MPG and the smaller gains in Motorway MPG.. (Thanks Kev)

There is no way the tuning kit could have contributed to the problems with the car this last week simply because as clever as it is its 360 miles due north locked up securely in one of Snap Ons finest...........

On paper, a tuning box should keep the engine within operating limits. We know the engine is fragile and have seen failures on the 140bhp...it appears the 180 is more susceptible to failure (and that is a tweaked version)...the tuning box is increasing the work the dodgy engine has to do again!

I would love a Lindop...but I worry that it could speed up the engine's demise?

On the other hand..if Toyota are replacing engines without protest..then it may be worth enjoying the power knowing there is still plenty of time to get engine sorted if it goes?

Oh....what to do??

Reading that is truly amazing .....

2 or 3 days ago You made Me an offer for the tuning kit which was declined and then You write the above ??? Strange....

Your assumptions are totally unfounded and are incorrect !!... The 2.2 engines are ALL affected in the same proportionate numbers. The T180 is no more or less likely to have the problems...

I have studied this matter IN DEPTH. I can tell You that the main or most common mileage for these failures is between 40 and 55 thousand miles.

The Dealers that did both of My engines are doing on average 4 per week. In fact the guy doing them is and has not been doing anything else for quite some considerable time !!

The Dealers that did both of My engines are doing on average 4 per week. In fact the guy doing them is and has not been doing anything else for quite some considerable time !!

There probably the same engines that keep failing and coming back, must be like groundhog day for them..........I can just picture them now...absoluetly swimming in torrents of engines, wondering will it ever stop!!!doh.gifdoh.gifdoh.gif

edward-burtynsky-63.jpg

Charlie...if you read the last PM I did say I was probably needing to rethink the Lindop issues...yes I did make an offer 2 days ago...but I have also noticed posts since then on this thread suggesting if they could have anything to with some peoples problems!

My last post also shows it is still something I would like...however, I asked the question whether there could be a realistic link. I have since read your last post about your case...and see there is likely to be other causes for repeat problems. But in absence of this more descriptive info earlier in the thread...the answers weren't there!

I would likely have made you a full offer on Sat morning anyhow...but your reply...like several replies to recent posts I have made recently...have an angry tone to them.

Sorry if I have sonehow upset or annoyed you in the past...but surely people have the right to ask questions and prompt discussion on issues they dont know much about?

Charlie...if you read the last PM I did say I was probably needing to rethink the Lindop issues...yes I did make an offer 2 days ago...but I have also noticed posts since then on this thread suggesting if they could have anything to with some peoples problems!

My last post also shows it is still something I would like...however, I asked the question whether there could be a realistic link. I have since read your last post about your case...and see there is likely to be other causes for repeat problems. But in absence of this more descriptive info earlier in the thread...the answers weren't there!

I would likely have made you a full offer on Sat morning anyhow...but your reply...like several replies to recent posts I have made recently...have an angry tone to them.

Sorry if I have sonehow upset or annoyed you in the past...but surely people have the right to ask questions and prompt discussion on issues they dont know much about?

Patrick.. I am a wee bit straight talking !! Not angry... There is/was another Forum member indicating that He wanted the Lindop kit that member is George Jayne.. However when I re read the PM he has just one post and has not responded to the PM I sent back....

My point was why would You want a Lindop kit if You suspect they are to blame for the engine problems ?

Its just the way things seem to snowball on this forum just lately.. Some one comes up with a barmy idea like the Lindop kit is the cause of Charlie s engine problems and then suddenly everyone assumes that this is the case despite Me pointing out its not even on the car !!!!

I meant no offence I do not intentionally offend anyone.

Someone mentioned the other car that had had 2 engines.. That has to Be Tims car ( Mistermena) and reference was made that that other 2 engine car also has a Lindop kit fitted.. But Tims car has not got a Lindop kit fitted but one made by a different maker altogether ...

What happens then of course is that all those misinformed people start saying the Lindop kit is rubbish and laying the blame there.... Which is just plain daft as it is the best thing I fitted to My car by a mile....

In Your PM You rightly point out that the asking price is not much less than what I paid for it on eBay... Quite how You know this I'm not sure but for the record You are correct ....

My comments in reply are simply that these Kits are a great investment for two reasons..

Firstly the gains as said above.. Depending on mileage You will get Your investment back in fuel gains alone in no time especially with the rapidly increasing fuel costs !!

Secondly they have a fantastic resale value for both the above reasons and that they are easy to install and remove so easy to sell on.. Plus of course they are fairly rare and do not affect the warranty on the car.... Nuff said ...

Just reading through all this thread and I very much feel for you Charlie for all your woes you have had with your car. I must be one of the lucky ones, Ive had my 06 plate T180 for 3 1/2 years, just had its M.O.T with no advisaries with 65500 on the clock. It is dealer serviced and has never had to have the oil topped up between servicings while averaging about 10000 miles a year, using only V power or BP Ultimate. The only real issue I have had with it was when I first got it was the EGR and Catalytic Converter were replaced under warranty, it is in the forum somewhere. I know some people have had the EGR replaced but I was wondering if all the engines that have been replaced if the Catalytic Converter was ever replaced with a modified one? Seem to remember the modified one has bigger bore pipe on it to stop it blockin up. Its not all doom and gloom with this car.!!!

Just reading through all this thread and I very much feel for you Charlie for all your woes you have had with your car. I must be one of the lucky ones, Ive had my 06 plate T180 for 3 1/2 years, just had its M.O.T with no advisaries with 65500 on the clock. It is dealer serviced and has never had to have the oil topped up between servicings while averaging about 10000 miles a year, using only V power or BP Ultimate. The only real issue I have had with it was when I first got it was the EGR and Catalytic Converter were replaced under warranty, it is in the forum somewhere. I know some people have had the EGR replaced but I was wondering if all the engines that have been replaced if the Catalytic Converter was ever replaced with a modified one? Seem to remember the modified one has bigger bore pipe on it to stop it blockin up. Its not all doom and gloom with this car.!!!

Mate You are one of the lucky ones..

My DPNR or that's what Toyota call the diesel particulate filter and catylizer have been changed..

One engine was bad enough.. I was dumbfounded when it had to be done and almost sold the car then but after a wee bit of thought and the general consensus on Forum that once returned the car would be better than new I was happy again and stuck with it....

Then it became apparent that all was not well and another engine was fitted this time a brand new one not a reconditioned one,,,

Now this one has also given problems... MMMMMmmmm Am I being unreasonable to be peeeed off ?

I am becoming paranoid now.. Today I was convinced I could smell burning or a hot smell....

My circumstances mean a lot of long distance travelling at the moment and with far to much kit to abandon the Rav and use the other car... Circumstances also dictate that a breakdown with a disabled Wife in the car could prove very difficult indeed..

Not an ideal situation Im sure You would agree...

Next weekend I have to head home 360 miles north only to return 2 days later and until I can get shot of this car I have the constant worry of the car playing up again.. I have RAC Gold cover which is a comfort.. But to be stuck for two hours in a layby with the wife would be a nightmare to say the least...

Charlie, I did not mention the Lindop Tuning box at any time ....

Quote:- I do find it a little strange that the 2 vehicles that have had more than one replacement engine on this forum both have or had a tuning chip fitted and yes I do realise that many engines without tuning aids have also failed.

You :- Someone mentioned the other car that had had 2 engines.. That has to Be Tims car ( Mistermena) and reference was made that that other 2 engine car also has a Lindop kit fitted.. But Tims car has not got a Lindop kit fitted but one made by a different maker altogether ...

I know all about Tims car, I did mean Tims car as the reply was addressed to"DON, CHARLIE and TIM" and have spoken to him about it in the past, maybe the timing of my "thoughts" on the subject was bad as you have a Lindop box for sale and I apologise for that. BUT.... you seem very touchy if anyone suggests something you don't like, I am not a nasty person and made this clear in my last reply AND I am surely allowed a point of view after a lifetime of working on more vehicles than I wish to remember ALSO never having an engine failure that was rebuilt by me and that includes Rolls Royce, so what do I know!

By the way my 2AD 150 engine was REBUILT by a Toyota Tec 2 years ago and has never used ANY oil since and hopefully never will.

I was never invited onto the Rav Forum but I will invite myself off it and stick to the Avensis & Yaris forum where upsetting people and silly arguements are a rare occurance thankfully.

If I got myself so worked up about Toyota and my car on this forum I would pack it in period so ... bye bye Rav forum I will leave you to it ..... just remember this .... know one to date, from what I have read on here, has got the answer to all your 3 engine problems!

Pete.

The tuning box that I have fitted to both my vehicles is totally different to the one my mate Charlie has. Mine is made by a company called "TUNIT" and the retail at £485 each and they have a 3 year warranty, plus a 1 year drive train warranty. The original engine on my car (Afaik) never had a piggy-back box and the 1st rebuilt 3/4 dealer engine didn't get the box fitted untill after the HG issue was picked up by the dealer if my memory serves me correctly. That engine lasted about 8000 miles and then was replaced with the one I have in now that has the box fitted to.

I have never had any issues with either of these Tunit boxes whilst they have been in use. The only cause for concern was the 3 dash lights came on and when into Limp mode. The code reader came up with a fault (Something like large fuel leak, as I cant remember what the code was) which I put down to the Mrs M runnning the car on vapour and it spluttered when I tried to start it! the code was cleared and filled with V-Power and has been okay since. I will be changing the fuel filter (Again) just to ruel out any cr@p that may have been sucked up into the filter. I have had a good look around the car and cant find (Or smell) any diesel, so I'm guessing that there could have been something that might have blocked the filter in some small way.

Mrs M has been told off and her leaving pass this weekend has NOT been stamped!!! :lol: But she went out anyway! hahaha

until I can get shot of this car I have the constant worry of the car playing up again..

Is your RAV behaving now? I certainly hope so!

David

until I can get shot of this car I have the constant worry of the car playing up again..

David

Seems to be David.. Have done nearly 1000 miles since the last problem and its been fine.. Hope it stays that way !!

Thanks !

David

Seems to be David.. Have done nearly 1000 miles since the last problem and its been fine.. Hope it stays that way !!

Thanks !

Glad to hear it mate :thumbsup:

So you any closer on deciding on its successor yet?

David

Thanks !

Glad to hear it mate :thumbsup:

So you any closer on deciding on its successor yet?

Haven't a cat in hells chance of changing the car during the next two months David as I am up and down the usual route till then...

May as well bang the miles on this car as a new one as its worth so little now that it wont make any difference !!

Really pleased to hear that the motor is going well Charlie!... Nice one mate :)

I have to say in charlie,s defence i would make an offer for his tuning box if i had a use for it, as some of the speculation ive read about on here about tuning boxes is to say the least far fetched. Most of these good quality boxes or remaps dont do a lot other than extra turbo boost and small fuel tweeks which does NOT make an engine burn oil. In short the only risk is that it might shorten the life of your turbo.

These tuning boxes are designed to operate well within the manufacturers tolerances! The box I use does not alter turbo boost but extends the opening and closing of the fuel injectors... Who ever buys Charlies box will get a bargin, and something that would have been very well looked after...

One thing is for sure over the last 2500 miles without the box fitted the car has developed a thirst for the diesel again !!

These boxes do give an appreciable gain in MPG And that is a fact ( When have I ever pulled punches on product reviews good or bad ???)

My Motorway MPG has dropped from 40 to 42 down to 34 ish.. Round town with the box I was getting 38 ish. This is now down to 31 at best....

Perhaps Hoovies Auto is not so bad after all.. Hoovie You really should invest in a Lindop kit for Your SR !!!

If this sounds like an ad post trust Me it aint.. Truth be told I could not give a monkeys if it sits in the tool chest and rots ........

Personally I don't doubt the boxes do what they claim to do. The only reason I ever mentioned the box was in trying to find an explanation for the mystery engine problem. There is no doubt that timing errors can cause overheating and if the tuning box had developed a fault, it might have explained it.

You have to include any add ons as well as the installed hardware/software.

Although not widely said on the forum(or I can't find the threads) I have been told these Toyota tunning boxs, have caused numerous problems for people that had them fitted,....... engine management lights/limp mode etc..........

Although not widely said on the forum(or I can't find the threads) I have been told these Toyota tunning boxs, have caused numerous problems for people that had them fitted,....... engine management lights/limp mode etc..........

Personally i think its more a case of exposing worn parts, our old Verso had one on for a while and not long after the injectors needed changing. It may have not been connected but i think it shortened there life span.

This isnt Toyota only, add extra wear to anything and it will fail earlier.

What a mess Charlie.....sorry to hear about your troubles.....hope you get some help and good news tomorrow.

A

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links