Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Why Did You Buy A Toyota?

Gods_gift

"Both cars will cost a fortune if they go wrong......" - not mine. I still have over 4 years warranty on mine, and if I still keep the car after if is 5 years old, I will take out extended (peace of mind) warranty. I did the same with my last RAV4 and when all 4 discs were replaced, I had to pay nothing for the repair; similarly with the Celicas Exhaust System (replaced under extended warranty at 5 years old!)

Surprised that discs were covered and very surprised exhaust was covered. I would have expected both to be excluded as wear and tear items.

Did you make a special plea over this?

David

For the exhaust, I took it in when it started blowing just to check it wasn't anything OTHER then the exhaust (I was less mechanically minded back then compared to now, if that were possible! ) and when I went in to get the car they told me they replaced the exhaust. I was about to say I hadn't asked them to, expecting to get a bill, when they said it was FOC. Surprised? Yes Indeed! Happy? You Betcha!

I also had the Radiator Fan fail on the Celica and when they replaced that (under warranty), they told me they also found a cold spot on the Rad itself so replaced the radiator as a precaution!

On the Discs, they were replaced FOC as they had warped and causing a judder, which was considered a warranty fail item (I think that policy *may* have changed now?)

No Special pleas for any of those, and that is a major part of why I have the level of confidence I do in buying a Toyota product.

few comments ...

"...Or perhaps the engines fragility is why Toyota saw fit to limit the power a bit" - Toyota actually UPPED the power from 136 to 150 in 2010 so I don't think that observation really passes the test. What they seemed to do was simply drop the 180BHP model in the UK (still available elsewhere in Europe).

"Both cars will cost a fortune if they go wrong......" - not mine. I still have over 4 years warranty on mine, and if I still keep the car after if is 5 years old, I will take out extended (peace of mind) warranty. I did the same with my last RAV4 and when all 4 discs were replaced, I had to pay nothing for the repair; similarly with the Celicas Exhaust System (replaced under extended warranty at 5 years old!)

Re Insurance -

What I have done with my insurance this time round is instead of having no excess at all, was to take an excess, and then take out an additional Excess insurance policy which will pay for any excesses on Motor, Home, Travel, Phone and Pet Insurance claims - When I did the sums, found that was a cost effective option

Whether You say it was upped from 136 or dropped from 180 the fact remains the same.. Its still a relatively low power output from a modern 2.2 !!! And the fuel consumption is high !

Compare..

Ford 2.2 TDCI 185

Ford 2.0 TDCI 163

Audi/VW 2.0 170

BMW 2.0 174

Jaguar 2.2 just over 190

I think the current Rav is now just to long in the tooth and hope an updated model is coming soon. Current auto boxes whilst still smooth and pleasant are outclassed by the modern twin clutch boxes found in the Audi/VW cars in DSG form and the Fords powershift offering.. These boxes shift faster than its possible to do manually. Economy is better than the Manual equivalents..

Its about time Toyota upped its game !!

If you think about it the Rav and CRV transformed this class so it's not a surprise both are getting over taken in the gimic dept. When I swapped out the broken drop bar link on my Rav I was amazed at how well designed the suspension is put together it really is a mini LC.

DSG boxes arent a selling point for me as theres too much to go wrong and I have heard a horror story about the gearbox ECU. Having rebuilt a few gearboxes in my time the thought of more than one clutch makes me think of the mechanical disadvantages and complexity to trouble shoot when they go bang.

I dream one day of a WRC Corolla that is an amazing car of genius design. That and the LC's are the pinnacle of Toyota design imho.

Surprised that discs were covered and very surprised exhaust was covered. I would have expected both to be excluded as wear and tear items. Did you make a special plea over this? David
For the exhaust, I took it in when it started blowing just to check it wasn't anything OTHER then the exhaust (I was less mechanically minded back then compared to now, if that were possible! ) and when I went in to get the car they told me they replaced the exhaust. I was about to say I hadn't asked them to, expecting to get a bill, when they said it was FOC. Surprised? Yes Indeed! Happy? You Betcha! I also had the Radiator Fan fail on the Celica and when they replaced that (under warranty), they told me they also found a cold spot on the Rad itself so replaced the radiator as a precaution! On the Discs, they were replaced FOC as they had warped and causing a judder, which was considered a warranty fail item (I think that policy *may* have changed now?) No Special pleas for any of those, and that is a major part of why I have the level of confidence I do in buying a Toyota product.

That is very good service from Toyota - makes me inclined to get an extended warranty on my wife's RAV.

Thanks for your detailed reply :thumbsup:

David

Back to the point tho...bit late I know but better late than never....

I bought a Toyota because... Well actually my father in law bought us a brand new Auris so I didn't get a say in the matter to start with... Couldn't complain mind you... When the car was in for servicing a looked around the Rav, test drove it and fell in love with it.. I would have upgraded on the spot if MrsW didnt stop me....

Time came to upgrade and there really was only one choice.... Love my Rav...

Bit pointless keep quoting "better than the Rav" mpg figures, it's irrelevant.

I had a Peugeot did 60mpg. I've driven a fiat van did 50+mpg, so what?! The Rav has GOOD mpg for what it is and I'm happy with my 40+ figures (diesel). BMW X5? It's just a tall car and I wouldn't give you tuppence against an LC any day of the week! Get an estate or a saloon if you want a BMW, much better drive, but they shouldn't be compared to Rav in any way.

Dave

Bit pointless keep quoting "better than the Rav" mpg figures, it's irrelevant.

I had a Peugeot did 60mpg. I've driven a fiat van did 50+mpg, so what?! The Rav has GOOD mpg for what it is and I'm happy with my 40+ figures (diesel). BMW X5? It's just a tall car and I wouldn't give you tuppence against an LC any day of the week! Get an estate or a saloon if you want a BMW, much better drive, but they shouldn't be compared to Rav in any way.

Dave

Dave with fuel now over seven quid a gallon fuel figures are very very important and relevant ....

X3 then even better mpg 281 bhp, and in the Ravs class, is it not, but for few xtra dollar and added space, I really like the X5.

Maybe its the superb engines that's attracted Toyota to the farther land.....hopefully pull them out of the sticky stuff :D

X3 then even better mpg 281 bhp, and in the Ravs class, is it not, but for few xtra dollar and added space, I really like the X5.

Maybe its the superb engines that's attracted Toyota to the farther land.....hopefully pull them out of the sticky stuff :D

Don't think you can really compare the two - X3 price range £31480 to £42525

RAV4 price range £24295 to £29215

Most expensive RAV is cheaper than the base X3

You need a considerably deeper pocket to buy the X3, and that's before you start adding options...............

still deluded I see :(

" X3 then even better mpg 281 bhp, and in the Ravs class" - the cheapest X3 with 258BHP (there isn't one with 281) costs £38,000 without options. You'd have to do a hell of a lot of miles to make that up in improved consumptions.

Let's try going for the 2.0 - maybe a better comparision? Oh, that is £36,000 when configured to the same spec as an SR (basically adding Sat Nav and Reversing Camera)

Right ... now lets take the official figure for the BMW - 50MPG, take off the official figure for the RAV4 - 38PMG - so an improvement of 12MPG. abuot 25% better - Nice.

TIme to do the maths now .... you need to do 133,000 miles to make it worth buying an X3 based on fuel economy, and that is ignoring the deprecation hit on an X3 which is not, shall we say, the best at retaining its value (plus having to drive a BMW :( )

End of the day, fuel economy is fairly important when running a vehicle, but other factors like initial purchase price and depreciation are FAR more relevant unless you are doing mental miles, and the other costs such as servicing become just as important.

Wonder how many folk who drive a new/newish BMW actually pay all the costs :unsure:

Fuel consumption is high on the list of most Owners... When I spend over 700 quid in one month it becomes a Major consideration......

Of course the BMW is a lot more money. It is in a different class in both price and quality... Its like comparing Racehorses and Donkeys...............

yup, I have always thought BMWs were donkeys.

Well, most of the drivers of them behave like asses anyway

Whether You say it was upped from 136 or dropped from 180 the fact remains the same.. Its still a relatively low power output from a modern 2.2 !!! And the fuel consumption is high !

Compare..

Ford 2.2 TDCI 185

Ford 2.0 TDCI 163

Audi/VW 2.0 170

BMW 2.0 174

Jaguar 2.2 just over 190

Surely the power output is secondary? I'm sure you'll be the first to admit torque is more important? (I think you've said so yourself that you like diesels because of the torque?). I'm almost never going to drive my car where I need max power output. Anyway, it's the complete package, how the car actually drives that matters in my opinion.

Now, let's examine the fuel consumption. Just keeping it simple and considering 2200cc engines to go with your argument above. (OK, Yes, there will be vehicles with bigger engines that are more economical than the data shown below).

The data is taken from freely available government data (directgov). This from August 2011. Below are all the vehicles (new) on sale, with nominal 2200cc engines that have better fuel consumption figures (combined) than the RAV. The first table sorted by consumption. The second table is the same data sorted by model.

Euro5mpg.jpg

Euro5.jpg

Well, I don't see many permanent or part-time 4WD vehicles in there.

For an ancient, condemned engine, to be honest I don't think the RAV is doing too bad against younger and non 4x4 competition. I'm more than happy in fact, but each to his own. :yes::thumbsup:

But Andy My point is that the engine is less efficient than much bigger more powerful engines .......

There are some among Us who do little miles so all this of course is just not relevant.... 150 bhp And 350 NM of torque is fine if great economy came alongside the low figures but it just doesn't..

Lets hope that with the next model Toyota realise that they are so far behind now.....

Very soon your Donkeys with have been impregnated with a BMW stallion :lol:

I cant wait for the new Rav M4 models :lol:

I buy a few years old and stay out of dealerships.......I save thousands of £`s by not buying new, or any addons like extra warranty, service packages, breakdown packages Toyota fun day out club deals, .(but probably would if I even had to own a 2AD engine) :thumbsup:

But Andy My point is that the engine is less efficient than much bigger more powerful engines .......

OK, well clearly I missed the point then :thumbsup:......................

Compare..

Ford 2.2 TDCI 185

Ford 2.0 TDCI 163

Audi/VW 2.0 170

BMW 2.0 174

Jaguar 2.2 just over 190

.....but I don't see any bigger engines quoted there (It's a 2.2l comparison)? So perhaps it's not unreasonable to mis-understand what you are trying to get at?

So, From the same data (and assuming I got the quick data manipulation correct), bigger engined vehicles, with better fuel consumption figures than the RAV:

bigeng.jpg

To be honest, nothing there I want. :thumbsup:

That was my point also :D

I wonder if the new BMW Rav will get xDrive?

Errr what's X drive ??

BMW is one make of car that I have not considered...

Quality is spot on so is the engineering and in a different class to the Rav.. Sounds snobbish but just don't like the Badge any longer.. Besides Audi are so much nicer ..............

Why does everybody think BMW are engineering dreams? I know a couple of guys working for BMW and it's just not the case, they suffer from persistant problems too (not sure if they have an oil burner?) but ECU problems, EML lights, corroding alloys, paint issues, windows falling out, etc etc the list is endless

Some nice looking cars though, apart from anything with an X in front of it :rolleyes:

Kingo :thumbsup:

Errr what's X drive ??

BMW is one make of car that I have not considered...

Quality is spot on so is the engineering and in a different class to the Rav.. Sounds snobbish but just don't like the Badge any longer.. Besides Audi are so much nicer ..............

Fancy 4x4 system!!

I`m a sucker for Technology!!

Why does everybody think BMW are engineering dreams? I know a couple of guys working for BMW and it's just not the case, they suffer from persistant problems too (not sure if they have an oil burner?) but ECU problems, EML lights, corroding alloys, paint issues, windows falling out, etc etc the list is endless

Some nice looking cars though, apart from anything with an X in front of it :rolleyes:

All usually cheaply fixable, huge after market/modding scene, Knowlegable independants.. if the dealership cant fix it, someone out there can......There a legends that breath German engines out there..........

Lots of Diags tools etc to fix them your self and save a penny or 2

Not many Guru`s on the Toyota side that I can see?

Audis and BMWs nowadays are a bit like the yabks were in WW2 .... Overstyled, Overpriced and Over here.

Those BMWs with the 'flame' theme? :sick: .... The Audi DRLs which every !Removed! with a beaten up Corsa copies? :sick: . Nah, no thanks.

Given the choice between an Audi, a BMW and a Toyota (and I did), I know what I would (and I did) buy.

NONE of the BMWs I had or Audi's for that matter had any squeaks or rattles... None felt like they had been screwed together with cheap materials... None had any mechanical issues at all apart from a 2006 Audi A4 diesel avant that had the clutch and dual mass flywheel replaced under warranty without Me even asking.. It went in for a service and Dealer called to say the car would be an extra day and why.......

Sorry but anyone comparing a decent Audi to a Rav is simply deluded or somehow trying to defend their purchase..

When I bought the Rav it was as an everyday hack.. A rough ubikd daily driver and that's what I got. Except that legendary Toyota reliability was not included...............

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links