Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Failed Block Test

Doosan

Just got back from my local Toyota dealership and been told my Rav4 failed its block test and will go in to be repaired by the end of the week.Might just be a head gasket or a new engine can't say until they take the engine out and do some measurements.

They told me that they need the car for about a week.

Doosan

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CharlieFarlie

• Doosan

• anchorman

• Big Kev

What do You mean by a failed block test ??

If the engine has any problems associated with the head or block then it will be replaced under current policy.........

Dealer should not and under current policy does not remove the head as the complete unit has to go back to Toyota on a crate and in complete order....

Has Your engine been displaying any of the problems in this thread ??

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=132178

Main questions being

has it had any of the following ?

Excessive oil consumption.

Coolant Water being blown out of the expansion tank and the colour sometimes turning darker in colour.

Excessive Fuel consumption.

Blocked or heavily sooted EGR valves

And of course cars going into limp mode or displaying fault codes relating to this engines issues.

I would contact the Dealer to clarify what they are about to do because if they remove the head it may well be that Toyota will not want to replace the engine if it as many others have done has failed and needs replacing..

To do this is against current policy..

I would have a fair bet though that the Dealer is simply going to replace the engine......

What do You mean by a failed block test ??

If the engine has any problems associated with the head or block then it will be replaced under current policy.........

Dealer should not and under current policy does not remove the head as the complete unit has to go back to Toyota on a crate and in complete order....

Has Your engine been displaying any of the problems in this thread ??

http://www.toyotaown...howtopic=132178

Main questions being

has it had any of the following ?

Excessive oil consumption.

Coolant Water being blown out of the expansion tank and the colour sometimes turning darker in colour.

Excessive Fuel consumption.

Blocked or heavily sooted EGR valves

And of course cars going into limp mode or displaying fault codes relating to this engines issues.

I would contact the Dealer to clarify what they are about to do because if they remove the head it may well be that Toyota will not want to replace the engine if it as many others have done has failed and needs replacing..

To do this is against current policy..

I would have a fair bet though that the Dealer is simply going to replace the engine......

Hi CF,

The only symptom I had was Coolant blowing Back out of expansion tank.Also when I came out in the morning with the car cold,you could undo the pressure cap and would release a load of pressure and the coolant would rise up.Then I would start the engine up for 45 seconds @ 2000 rpm then turn engine off,go back to the expansion tank and undo the pressure cap and a small amount of pressure would be released.The coolant did not appear to me to change colour.

Is there a list or letter from Toyota that gives you do's and don't s with regards to the engine when the car goes in that I could copy and print ?

Doosan

Is there a list or letter from Toyota that gives you do's and don't s with regards to the engine when the car goes in that I could copy and print ?

Doosan

There is a TSB that the dealer should be well aware of:

FEB 2012 Excessive oil consumption 21.pdf

My bet is firmly on the replacement engine being fitted.. My advice is to contact the Dealer and clarify exactly what they are doing.. If they remove the head it will be and is against the current policy for dealing with the many issues regarding this engine.. Your engine is displaying one of the main indications that usually ends up with the 3/4 engine replacement.

I personally would be very reluctant indeed for the Dealer to remove the head.. Though as I said this is unlikely and they are probably in the process of the now very common engine replacement...

Please let Us know what happens and good luck with it...

PS. If it helps Im more than happy to chat on the phone as I have with several other Members and aided them getting their engines sorted.. PM Me a number and I will call You.....

Doosan

Hi Davrav,Thanks for that.

Tell me what does TSB stand for?

Doosan

Doosan

Hi Davrav,Thanks for that.

Tell me what does TSB stand for?

Doosan

My bet is firmly on the replacement engine being fitted.. My advice is to contact the Dealer and clarify exactly what they are doing.. If they remove the head it will be and is against the current policy for dealing with the many issues regarding this engine.. Your engine is displaying one of the main indications that usually ends up with the 3/4 engine replacement.

I personally would be very reluctant indeed for the Dealer to remove the head.. Though as I said this is unlikely and they are probably in the process of the now very common engine replacement...

PS. If it helps Im more than happy to chat on the phone as I have with several other Members and aided them getting their engines sorted.. PM Me a number and I will call You.....

Hi CF,thanks for that.My dealer will ring me in the next 2 days to let me know what is happening and I will ask him what the procedure is for my engine.He did say today that it could mean a new engine.So I will keep my fingers crossed.

Yes I will keep you updated and if I have a problem I will PM you,thank you.

Doosan

You will be fine Mate ... It will be a replacement engine 99.9%

If this is the case then I would suggest having the clutch components replaced while the engine is out.. They will charge just for the parts as the labour is the same.. This of course depends on the cars mileage and the condition of said clutch..

If in the future a clutch was required it would mean a bill of circa £1100.. Now is the time to do it if You are keeping the car for a long time or perhaps intending on towing ??

What is the current mileage ??

Wee wager says between 45 and 75.000 miles ??

Yes your spot on with the mileage 45,874 and yes I do pull a caravan,go to France a fair lot.

So would you recommend I have a new clutch assy and roughly how much does this cost?

Doosan (Dave)

Yes your spot on with the mileage 45,874 and yes I do pull a caravan,go to France a fair lot.

So would you recommend I have a new clutch assy and roughly how much does this cost?

Doosan (Dave)

Common mileage is between 45 and 75.000 miles.......

Mate My engine was replaced at around 50K and I chose to do the clutch as it was just a very good opportunity to get it done without a labour charge.. Just a very good precautionary move....

The retail on the complete 3 piece assembly of Driven plate. Diaphragm spring and release bearing is 320 quid.. I asked for and got a wee but of discount and paid £280

The gear change was as a bonus vastly improved and the take up on the pedal is just so much better.. The gear change is another point that is often criticized on the Rav and is vastly improved.. This despite there being very little signs of wear in the old clutch parts !!!!

Plus as said a very good time to do and a very advised precaution especially if You are towing !!

Come back and keep us informed !!

Good morning all,

Had a phone call yesterday afternoon from my dealer to say they want my car to go in next Monday to be sorted out.

When I asked what they are doing he said we have to check certain things and take some measurements to determine

what needs to be done.I told him what has been said on this Forum and he said you can't believe every thing you read

on Forums.

I will ask more questions when I drop the car off on Monday.Oh yes he said they will need the car for 5 days.

Doosan (Dave)

5 days - thats an engine then!

I agree ...........

Though why are the Dealers refusing to communicate what exactly is going on ???

Slight concern here that they take the head off.... Because if they do it becomes an in house job as Toyota will only accept the engine back in one piece as there is a large deposit involved as You may well know Don.......

Still betting on a replacement though.....

All sounds very mysterious the way the dealer is acting! I presume either this car is under a general Toyota Warranty so the work being done is covered, OR, as Charlie and Don is saying, it must be an Engine swap, and done under this Toyota AD2 Engine Warranty agreement, as with no proper communications as far what is happening, they could not be sending a bill out?

Need to make sure you get the request in for the Clutch replacement before it is too late!!

All sounds very mysterious the way the dealer is acting! I presume either this car is under a general Toyota Warranty so the work being done is covered, OR, as Charlie and Don is saying, it must be an Engine swap, and done under this Toyota AD2 Engine Warranty agreement, as with no proper communications as far what is happening, they could not be sending a bill out?

Need to make sure you get the request in for the Clutch replacement before it is too late!!

David this is / was one of the reasons why I have replied to this thread so I could suggest as on other threads the consideration of the clutch replacement.....

I have been trying to stay out of these topics as I am aware what I say doesn't sit well because of the sometimes negative stance I take...

There are 3 topics in one week alone on this subject.. Two here on general forum and one at the end of the pinned engine thread...

I would not be happy with the stance the Dealer is taking....

I would have a large bet it is simply another replacement..

But what if the Dealer gets it wrong and who picks up the bill if that should happen ?? It wont be Toyota as stripping or removing the head is against the current policy..........

Again I hesitated to get involved in this thread... But I believe questions need to be asked..

Charlie, hope you don't think I was butting in or disagreeing on your comments either here (as not at all). I also would not be comfortable with the dealers apparent 'style' here if it were my car.

I would be asking the question - What are you going to do?

Hi Guys,

just to add my two penn'orth - My engine was replaced at the beginning of February ( oil/fuel consumption ) at 31,000 miles. Is this the lowest mileage replacement yet?

Couldn't fault the dealer response or performance ( Don knows them well ). Not used a drop of oil since! .......now where is that lump of wood, ah yes, on my shoulders where I left it! :blush:

Charlie, hope you don't think I was butting in or disagreeing on your comments either here (as not at all). I also would not be comfortable with the dealers apparent 'style' here if it were my car.

Not at all David.. I was agreeing with Your comments RE the Dealers approach and communication........

I will be speaking with the OP on the phone later and will try to inform Him of the approach ( Gentle but firm ) to take and what questions too ask and points to raise...

Not at all David.. I was agreeing with Your comments RE the Dealers approach and communication........

I will be speaking with the OP on the phone later and will try to inform Him of the approach ( Gentle but firm ) to take and what questions too ask and points to raise...

Good wan wee man.....as you and Anchs are saying, one needs to euphamistically enquire as to exactly what remedial action the dealer has mapped out in order to cure this vehicle of its ills. The auld Glesga approach of "whit's the Hampden Roar" (rhyming slang) is just not cutting it....

Big Kev :thumbsup:

Back to the point about the clutch replacement.

As this engine replacent issue may be something I'm faced with in the future (57 plate D4D with 45k)- is the clutch only expected to last a short time? My other car is 120k on the same clutch and no signs of giving up yet (and a MUCH inferior brand to Toyota!). I understand the savings, but I'd be pushed to justify even the saved cost when there's nothing wrong with it.

Dave

Back to the point about the clutch replacement.

As this engine replacent issue may be something I'm faced with in the future (57 plate D4D with 45k)- is the clutch only expected to last a short time? My other car is 120k on the same clutch and no signs of giving up yet (and a MUCH inferior brand to Toyota!). I understand the savings, but I'd be pushed to justify even the saved cost when there's nothing wrong with it.

Dave

Depends on a few variables Mate...

I had a chat on the phone yesterday with the OP . It seems He intends to keep the car for a very long time and tows a caravan.. He has at one point had a burning smell from the clutch when pulling away....

So with the above in mind it seems getting the clutch replaced while the labour is free is a definite....

I had My one changed simply because at the time I intended keeping the car and I do high miles.. Cost of a replacement at the dealer is circa 1100 + VAT so 280 for the parts with no labour seemed a good investment..

Other gain was how greatly the gear change was improved. I cannot emphasise how much better it is now !

The point at which the pedal bites is much lower down as well so altogether a great all round improvement and for Me investment...

Of course other People may not wish to spend that 280 quid... But I advise simply because some may not consider getting it done........

Just a bit of number crunching ....

If a clutch costs £1,300 to replace as a standard repair, and lasts say 150,000 miles - which seems to be a decent life for a clutch, that works out to be £8.67 per thousand miles.

So if the clutch can be replaced at a cost of £280, then it could make sense to get it replaced if the clutch has done over 32,000 miles - and if the 150,000 miles is optimistic, the existing mileage balance point would be lower.

Of course, if there is no intention of running up a higher mileage, then the extra life may be irrelevant to the owner, but could still be a plus point for resale.

my maths may be irrelevant here, or course, but I like numbers :)

Au contrair. I love the maths! Does make more sense when you put it like that. I do intend keeping the Rav long term, and hopefully the engine issue may not arise (it's not a definite occurrence from what I can see) but it's best to be clued up as things can happen fast when there's a problem. Don't understand why the labour cost is so high (don't doubt you for a second) doesn't sound like Toyota made it easy to change!

Dave

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links