Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Failed Block Test

Doosan

Hi all,

Picked my car up today.Had a long chat to the service guy about the TSB and he said that they have done all the checks

that are required and could not find any thing wrong except the head gasket.The car does not use excessive oil or diesel.

The head gasket was done under the Toyota warranty and not on my paid for warranty.He did say that it was a good idea

to have the clutch done as the plate was quite badly scored. This came to £306.29 including the clutch release brg.

So I will see how it all goes when I start towing the caravan,which will be just over a weeks time going to Chatsworth House in

Derbyshire.

Thank you all for your input and to you Charlie for your advice.

Dave

But Dave the point is is that a blown head gasket qualifies the car for a replacement engine...

Mate its there in black and white !! There is NO question !!

Sorry but Your dealer hasn't a clue......................

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CharlieFarlie

• Doosan

• anchorman

• Big Kev

Hi all,

Picked my car up today.Had a long chat to the service guy about the TSB and he said that they have done all the checks

that are required and could not find any thing wrong except the head gasket.The car does not use excessive oil or diesel.

The head gasket was done under the Toyota warranty and not on my paid for warranty.He did say that it was a good idea

to have the clutch done as the plate was quite badly scored. This came to £306.29 including the clutch release brg.

So I will see how it all goes when I start towing the caravan,which will be just over a weeks time going to Chatsworth House in

Derbyshire.

Dave

I'll show you the sights around Buxton if you like. Just let me know.

Hi all,

Derbyshire.

Dave

I'll show you the sights around Buxton if you like. Just let me know.

Lock yer car, Dave.....he's obviously ran short of dashboard bits again.......

Hope the head gasket is a total fix for you, but like people who actually KNOW what they are talking about and have first hand experience of this problem, I am totally bewildicated by your dealer's methods here....

Big Kev

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all just reporting back as promised.Been away for a week towing a caravan and can say the car drove great,no sign of the old problem with coolant coming out of the coolant tank.Oil and fuel all OK.

So this seems like a good result,but will keep an eye on the oil consumption.

Thanks to you all for your input.

Doosan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

After having the head gasket done(which seemed to cure my problem)I had a phone call from my Mr Toyota just now to say they want my Rav4 back in to replace the engine with a short block after all they have done. They said that after submitting their paper work Mr Toyota said that the engine should have been replaced.

So Charlie you were spot on there.

Trouble is the car is going great at the moment.

Doosan

Hi all,

After having the head gasket done(which seemed to cure my problem)I had a phone call from my Mr Toyota just now to say they want my Rav4 back in to replace the engine with a short block after all they have done. They said that after submitting their paper work Mr Toyota said that the engine should have been replaced.

Doosan

So no policy change as yet then................

Somebody in that dealership dropped a big bo**ock there then.

I've checked with my contacts during all this hoohar and they said no change to the policy either.

Doosan.

Get it in and let them do the proper job as you get all the latest revisions to the engine. I hope the dealer has to pick up the tab for the head job. We told them often enough but what would we know!!!

Still amazes me in this electronic age, that dealerships still don't know what's what...do they not get briefings?...

Makes my blood boil....... :ffs:

You haven't got blood, you've got hydrolastic fluid.

Hi all,

Doosan

Good bloody grief....!!!!!

You haven't got blood, you've got hydrolastic fluid.

It still boils to the point I turn red :yes:

Hi all,

Doosan

Yes of course the car is going fine but for how long ???

I am amazed at the events to date and place the blame with the Dealer who Frankly should not be allowed to display the Toyota logo outside their premises ...

But at least Your car will be sorted and I genuinely wish You the best with it !!!

Put the car into my local Toyota Garage this morning to have the new short block engine fitted. I asked why they had changed their minds about having the engine done but they just said it came from head office and that was all they would say. I also asked how many engines they have done with this fault and I was told this is the first one they have done.

Anyway just waiting for a phone call towards the end of the week to say it has been done.

Dose any one know what the running in procedure is for this engine ?

Thanks Doosan

Put the car into my local Toyota Garage this morning to have the new short block engine fitted. I asked why they had changed their minds about having the engine done but they just said it came from head office and that was all they would say. I also asked how many engines they have done with this fault and I was told this is the first one they have done.

Anyway just waiting for a phone call towards the end of the week to say it has been done.

Dose any one know what the running in procedure is for this engine ?

Thanks Doosan

Your dealer is so full of **** its unbelievable !! A .. They have made a complete pigs ear of this whole affair from day 1 And B if this is the first engine they have don I will eat My hat ................

There is no set running in for a modern engine.. Drive it in a normal but sensible fashion.. Just don't thrash it and most important don't let it labour.

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys,

Do you perhaps know if the TSB is valid for South Africa too? I had my Rav4 in at beginnning of this year at the delaership with coolant blowing out the top of the bottle and eventually Toyota replaced the head gasket. It might have been a 3/4 replacement as the head went in for machining/skimming too.

Should I insist on a full engine replacement, given that the warranty on the car is about to expire?

Nic

Thyere is no full engine replacement as such Nic, only as much as the 3/4 engine. If sorting the head out AND it doesn't use any oil has brought the vehicle to an acceptable condition you have nothing more to worry about. They stopped skimming heads at dealerships because the job actually takes longer than changing the engine.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links