Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How Much Fuel Can You Fit In Your Iq?

craggle

David you might hold the answer if you then filled up, or brimmed it.

How much petrol can you put into an iQ that has an empty tank?

george

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tarquin

• craggle

• aaronfife

• s44gtw

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is worrying me slightly, my iQ takes around £40 of fuel and is only returning 33 mpg atm, had it checked over by toyota but they say all is fine, surely my right foot isn't that heavy!!!

33MPG!

Are you sure? Sounds very low. Reason I ask is, how are you calculating it in car computer or doing the math with miles covered and mile done?

I get 50mpg without trying in my 1.33, a 1 liter should be even better, unless your right foot is made of lead.

Well only just started with mine but have created an auto formatting spreadsheet so I can keep a tally of what its costing and what I'm getting back! both times I've filled up about 10-15 miles after the last bar starts flashing and gotten 30ish litres in... so there wasnt many miles left to go before I ran out!

1st fill managed 46.98 / gallon

2nd fill managed 48.13 / gallon

Should improve though as it gets 'run in' Hopefully!!!

Manual but wishing I had gone for CVT & Nav! anyone know where anyone is breaking a Iq with Nav ????

Corey_iQ2,

that £40 & 33 mpg.

How many litres since it is a guess for anyone to know your petrol price per litre.

Is it?

30 litres for £40. About 6.5 gallons, & 33 mpg = only 217 miles for £40 ??

I would be checking tyre pressures & that i have a clean air filter.

If you journeys are only a few miles each time, start from cold, stop,

then from cold start each short trip, then i can understand the low MPG,

otherwise something is up with it.

george

Well only just started with mine but have created an auto formatting spreadsheet so I can keep a tally of what its costing and what I'm getting back! both times I've filled up about 10-15 miles after the last bar starts flashing and gotten 30ish litres in... so there wasnt many miles left to go before I ran out!

1st fill managed 46.98 / gallon

2nd fill managed 48.13 / gallon

Should improve though as it gets 'run in' Hopefully!!!

Rob, have you thought about http://www.fuelly.com/

Not sure if this is any help with this tread, but this is what I've measured in September while driving in the iQ1. Each date I add fuel I note how much It needs to brim the tank and calculate what MPG I'm getting on that date based on the mileage since the last fill up.

Date ODO Trip1 Litres Gals. MPG MPL Range

01/09/2012 7542 310.6 28.300 6.229 49.861 10.98 351.21

07/09/2012 7892 350.9 29.500 6.494 54.039 11.89 380.64

16/09/2012 8234 341.0 28.860 6.353 53.679 11.82 378.10

21/09/2012 8550 316.0 26.760 5.890 53.647 11.81 377.88

28/09/2012 8890 340.7 28.530 6.280 54.252 11.94 382.14

All that is based on filling the filler neck, to the point the petrol station pump refuses to add any more because of its safety cut-out. I try to use the same pump each time if possible to eliminate any error and do a round trip of around 69 miles per day every day excluding weekends. The resultant range (based on the average MPG) gives me an indication of how far I would have probably got if its actually got 32 litres in it. It doesn't really say how much is in the tank, but I know its at least 29.5 Litres (my largest fill up) & If I go past the estimated range then I'm definitely on fumes and borrowed miles...

Not sure if that helps that much but always worth adding info to the evidence...

Gordon

Sorry I cant the columns to line up properly above :-(

Hmmmm sorry for the slow reply, yep 40 quid gets me just about 220miles, toyota checked emissions and all is hunky dory but im going to check my air filter, do a lot of short journeys but still cover an average of 350 miles a week, hope i can sort it! thank you for the advice!

Is this a manual or a multidrive?

If you went for a run after filling up,

say for 40-50 miles on a 60 limit road, what would it show as doing as an average MPG.?

george

Its a manual, i'd say between 30-35mpg but not got a definite answer :/

OK George I am nearly out of fuel again. I am going to try to drive around the Tesco car park for some time tomorrow until it cuts out a few times like before so we have a definitive answer.

David

One way to do it Dave, driving round till its empty, but take care doing that deliberately, you can knacker the CAT doing that apparently, as the engine tries to over compensate for the lack of fuel going in.

I reckon 32 litres is pretty dam close to what's possible to get in myself, possibly another 1&1/2 litres max including the filer neck . The most I've managed to get in so far was 31.17 litres after 379.1 miles at 55.2 MPG. That included about 60 miles with the bottom bar on the gauge flashing and sweat starting to form on my forehead while trying to find a filling station ;-)

Ok peeps

I can tell you today i ran the car to empty ( cut out twice). I got 31.92 litrs in it till it dripped out the filler tube. Thanks Gordon for your advice

David

Bloomin 'eck, I new I was close when I needed 31.1 Litres, not that close though. 8-O

Which means, when that bottom bar started flashing, instead of getting only 23 miles put of it last time. This time i only got 16 miles. So be very careful peeps, that may not be enough to get you to the next service station on the motorway. Worse than that, at some point of stopping and re-starting i got 2 bars back , only for 4miles though. NEVER trust the useless fuel gauge

David

Interestingly, i have a fuel display in my heads up unit and although its only in LED bar form, its far more accurate than the built in segments. Strange, it gets its data from the ECU via the sensor in the tank where the segments get theirs from. Wonderful things Algorithms. Or should i say best efforts guess.

David

Hello out there,

First time posting here. I have the iq 4 months now and i can say that i really appreciate the fuel economy that gives.

The attached photo is one of my maximum refuels had on the iq. I got 33.002 L up to the neck. I can remember getting once 34 L.

Just to let you know that i live in Cyprus and my iq is a japanese import 2009 model 1.0.

I posted the photo from my mobile but it seems that it doesnt work. So i will try to upload the photo 2night from the pc. Thanks

Welcome

Thats very interesting, i'm sure George will have something to say about that. As mine cut out 2 or 3 times and i got 31.92 litres in and our friend here in Cyprus got over 33 possibly 34, one can only assume one or both pumps are mis calibrated. Especially if the published size is 32ltrs. Give up

David

[

I seem to be getting the better mpg on here then lol? I thought 320-370 the average but tonight there was strong winds coming back from work... We all know what that means :(

Baked beans was it?

Here is the picture.

The problem David is that mine never cut in both occasions! The first time when i got 34L the fuel bar was flushing for aprox 50km of highway road!

post-124150-0-51475500-1349702255_thumb.

I do wonder if the sensitivity setting of the petrol pump's safety cut off is coming into play here if we're all getting varying levels of fuel in.

Another thing to take into account is the shape and size of the tank on the iQ, its unusually wide and flat compared to other cars of similar capacity, which might mean its struggling to pick up the last litre of fuel in itself and throwing out the readings a little. :disgust:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links