Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Member - Drl's

152bobby

Hello Liz,

Thanks for your input.

I have heard of that, but how does that work with the MOT, as all UK cars must have front fog lights (I think) !!

Bobby

That's a regulation that I musta missed, Oor Boab min.......mandatory front foggies.....? Somebody please confirm.....?

I'm sure Jolly Friar Liz came up with a price for these.........cost me a week in coronary care.

I'm sorry Sir Kevin... I will issue a BK warning next time... :blush:

Hi & welcome to TOC from one of the girls on here... :thumbsup:

The only other option I have thought of is to replace the fog lights with DRL's aka Volvo, Skoda etc..

HTH..

I looked into these for my Renault Master van.... I think it is possible to get replacement fogs which incorporate an "angel eye" led surround built in.

I'm not sure what intensity level a DRL light is meant to be, but there must be a figure for it as oddly, my current car is fitted with LED strip lights that are side lights, and a standard bulb which is used as the DRL light - so the reverse of what is typical now, and I understand it is for intensity reasons, not asthetic ones? (I have since replace the standard bulbs with LED versions which seem just as bright, so who knows?!)

• Like 1

Yes, I have seen those units with fog / drl combined.. good idea....

The difficult thing I find, is knowing how bright they will be, and whether they are 'E' approved..

Some after-market ones I've seen, a row of candles would be brighter... :)

I'm sure Jolly Friar Liz came up with a price for these.........cost me a week in coronary care.

I'm sorry Sir Kevin... I will issue a BK warning next time... :blush:

Hi & welcome to TOC from one of the girls on here... :thumbsup:

The only other option I have thought of is to replace the fog lights with DRL's aka Volvo, Skoda etc..

HTH..

I looked into these for my Renault Master van.... I think it is possible to get replacement fogs which incorporate an "angel eye" led surround built in.

I'm not sure what intensity level a DRL light is meant to be, but there must be a figure for it as oddly, my current car is fitted with LED strip lights that are side lights, and a standard bulb which is used as the DRL light - so the reverse of what is typical now, and I understand it is for intensity reasons, not asthetic ones? (I have since replace the standard bulbs with LED versions which seem just as bright, so who knows?!)

That explains then,David, why I noticed last week whilst you were behind me that your DRL set up on that Citroen is very unobtrusive. There is a toaty wee Citroen oot there whose DRL's are utterly ludicrous........C2 rings a bell.......if ah was a rabbit, I would be dead.

They really are out of proportion and must make Audi drivers feel much better aboot themselves.

In regards to "is it a legal requirement to have front fog lights in the UK", reading the attached says front fogs are not required, but a rear one is (unless I am reading it wrong, because it's not in "plain" straight forward English !!!

So I guess the front fogs can be used as DRL's.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/contents/made

In the main, due to having worked harder than all of youz and retired early, I can choose not to travel in rubbish weather. To this end, I would be more than interested in showing the likes of Anchorman and shcm, per se, how to convert ma daft wee foggies into DRL's.

IMHO, the fog lights just take the bare look off the front skirting.

Does anyone have a kit in mind or a link to that what which they have seen........?

How did we manage for all these years without bl00dy DRLs?

• Like 1

We put on oor sidelights, Jamesy, and Elton wrote a song about them........"Candles in the Wind".

Wee auld chap pulled oot on me t'other day and apologised that he couldnae see me.........terrontial rain.....I had on ma LED spotlights too, which are much brighter than standard. Not a fan of DRL set ups, especially Audi wans, but must admit I have softened towards them having seen Hoovie's less retina burning ones.

We put on oor sidelights, Jamesy, and Elton wrote a song about them........"Candles in the Wind".

Wee auld chap pulled oot on me t'other day and apologised that he couldnae see me.........terrontial rain.....I had on ma LED spotlights too, which are much brighter than standard. Not a fan of DRL set ups, especially Audi wans, but must admit I have softened towards them having seen Hoovie's less retina burning ones.

Indeed. But we switched on the sidies when needed; we didn't turn them on at 8:00 on a bright, sunny summer morning for Chrissakes!

DRLs have to be one of the most assinine regs to have come out of Brussels (and that's saying something considering the b0ll0cks that they've produced over the years).

• Like 1

Och FFS, Amfinny.....ye knew fine well ah would look......? Sent from my mobile in Cornerry Kerr Ward.

You can shave off £50 by getting them off Amazon !!! No doubt probably cheaper elsewhere if you look, but still very pricey, saying that, I'm very interested in these.

Just need to try and find a install guide to look over before even thinking of buying. I'm curious as to how they work and switch between fog and LED DRL !!!

Presume the relay supplied switches them aff when sidelights and/or headlights are selected, but also allows for an individual switch for ON when lights are on in fog.....? I also presume no difference in intensity for either setting....? Ah hate car electrics mins......

I wonder if it a matter of changing voltage input when used for the Fog Function for increased intensity?

I see it also mentions about offering assisted cornering .... This was not a feature I had heard of until I got my current motor, where the fog light on the car you are steering to (i.e. Turn left and the left fog light turns on) illuminates. This is a great feature especially on unlit country roads, where I personally had previously tended to turn the front fogs on regardless to show the road edges.

To do this on an aftermarket unit is clever and I wonder how that is achieved? (Switches connected to hubs? Rack?)

Price at £250 (Amazon) is not too bad really, compared to what a replacement set of lights from Mr T would be ;)

Presume the relay supplied switches them aff when sidelights and/or headlights are selected, but also allows for an individual switch for ON when lights are on in fog.....? I also presume no difference in intensity for either setting....? Ah hate car electrics mins......

I would guess a connection for the existing fog light circuitry as well as a relay for DRL use bit like my Ring ones :)

I did have a quick look at the installation guide, and there are a lot of connections to be made, including to the foglamp circuit, indicators, headlamp/sidelight.

And no Kev, different intensity for DRL and Fog Light

I did have a quick look at the installation guide, and there are a lot of connections to be made, including to teh foglamp circuit, indicators, headlamp/sidelight.

And no Kev, different intensity for DRL and Fog Light

So more or less LED's for each application then......? Does that explain the price........?

Does that justify the price......? Naw.........

Ah .... They know you are turning a corner due to sensing the indicator function .... Clever, although that means these are incompatible with BMWs and most other company cars.

• Like 1

Sure some regular members are going blind! There is a C shaped row of LEDs in the lense and a fog light in the centre. A good DRL will dim down or switch off when the main lights are illuminated and if it does it for the indicators too, then this is a good kit.

If I get chance this week end my motor is coming up for its first oil change so I will also remove the front bumper and do some measuring of these fog lights. This is the best kit I've seen so far and may indulge if they could be fitted perfectly.

Photos may follow of the current set up.

Head above parapet here....what The Friar have indicators got to do with Foggies and/or DRL's.....I am having a senior moment of not linking their utilisation........zit just me......?

I believe they are directional lights and move when you turn, so I guess being connected to the indicators has something to do with that !!

If you want to see them in action, search on youtube, I viewed a few working last night and they looked pretty good.

If someone is brave enough to fit these (especially the electrical side of it) and they worked correctly, I'll certainly be fitting them.

Getting to the rear of the fog lights on the Rav is pretty straight forward (that's the easy bit)!!

I will be waiting for Anchormans update on these !!

Ye need tae believe me Boab min.....if he buys these he will be looking for some alternative accomodation.....I have met his wife more than wanst. He isnae coming here, where he is known as the exorcist.....all the spirits disappear.

Anyway, ah did not get much further than the price when Tony posted these on.......directional? At that price they should STEER ffs.

Sure some regular members are going blind! There is a C shaped row of LEDs in the lense and a fog light in the centre. A good DRL will dim down or switch off when the main lights are illuminated and if it does it for the indicators too, then this is a good kit.?....

I would agree 100% about it looks like row of LEDs plus a central lamp for the fog function, but the info describes the unit as an "LED Foglight" and as having "1 LED", so who knows?! Prob a bad description in that respect on the spec list.

I am pretty sure this unit will NOT dim the DRL when the indicators are on, but will instead light on the fog light on that side.

Attached some pics of my setup to show how that will likely work....(PS, the led lights on mine are sidelights, not DRLs, hence why they are still on with main lights on)

Pic 1) Drivers fog light on due to steering set to turn right

Pic 2) Fog Lights on (foggy conditions or snow falling)

Pic 3) Fog Lights off (normal situation)

Pic 4) Passenger Fog light on due to indicator on left side on (the indicator function overrules the wheel position which as can be seen is set to actually turn right)

Pic 5) Drivers fog light on due to indicator on right side on (and wheels straight ahead)

The comment about 'directional lights' will be because the lights will work as above, and not because they will be motorised to actually turn when cornering (probably need to buy a Citroen SM for that :) )

post-29315-0-35329100-1382182126_thumb.j

post-29315-0-57790600-1382182140_thumb.j

post-29315-0-18071400-1382182155_thumb.j

post-29315-0-49932900-1382182394_thumb.j

post-29315-0-54861000-1382182479_thumb.j

Not sure about this but on an Audi for instance, the DRLs are so bright they obscure the indicator and they are dimmed to allow traffic to see the indicators are working. They are positioned inside the headlight and not under the bumper though.

Not sure the French have got things right Hoov. I think that is a bewildering arrangement and would suspect loose wires if I saw it coming the other way. I might think otherwise if I saw it but why have the nearside one surpressed if you are turning right and why have them mimic the indicators?

My bumper is half way off and pictures will follow.

Little bit of news for 4.4 diesel owners. I changed the oil on Guys this morning and it has plastic cam covers and plastic oil filter housing. The latter may well cost dealers some money if they let Mighty Joe Young change the oil. He needs to learn the complexities of a torque wrench.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links