Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Next Prius Model?

Old Bob

From the early 1990s cars were much more overpriced in the UK, which was why there was so much of a personal import business - people were even buying British built Austin Allegros in Belgium and driving them back home to save money!!! :Jumpy:

Austin Allegro making it all the way back from Belgium ? Pull the other one :rolleyes:

Strange - as the Allegro ended production in 1982 .........

Ah! Sorry!

Must be memory failure - comes with age!

A quick Google suggests I was getting mixed up - there were certainly people importing cars from places like Belgium to save quite a few £1,000s

Where I got confused was that BL ship the components for some Allegros to Belgium, had them assembled in a plant there, and re-imported to the UK and sold here! Obviously, that was longer ago. Still a weird situation!

Just as weird - when Rover were building the Honda Concerto (the car the 1989-95 Rover 200/400 was based on, but with Honda petrol engines) for the European market, they were built at Longbridge, and transported to Honda at Swindon to undergo Honda's Quality Control processes. Cars needing rectification were shipped back to Longbridge, rectification carried out, and re-submitted to Swindon for fresh QA.

We had a 1.5I for 3.5 years from new - a faulty alarm switch was the only issue we had.

From the early 1990s cars were much more overpriced in the UK, which was why there was so much of a personal import business - people were even buying British built Austin Allegros in Belgium and driving them back home to save money!!! :Jumpy:

Austin Allegro making it all the way back from Belgium ? Pull the other one :rolleyes:

Strange - as the Allegro ended production in 1982 .........

The top two lines were a quote from PeteB, somehow got merged with my reply (??), the bottom line was my reply.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links