Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Icon To Hybrid Excel

devonkev

Made the mistake of going into a Toyota dealer to see what differences between the 2014 Yaris icon cvt and the 2015 Yaris hybrid and ended up buying the latter.

Had it for about 6 weeks so far can't believe how chilled out you become driving these cars. The best fuel consumption so far returned 70.4 mpg according to the computer, while stuck behind a caravan on the way to Salcombe South Devon. Not even getting the slightest bit wound up never thought I'd ever be able to say that.

The best fuel consumption I ever got in the Yaris icon cvt was 44 mpg with an average of 38 mpg the hybrid seems to be averaging 53 mpg so well pleased with that so far.

The only niggles for me are still no armrest, awful Continental tyres & me speed limiter disappeared . overall though A much more comfortable car to drive well done Toyota 9 out of 10 from me 👍

What do the center consoles typically go for (with fitting)?

I couldn't find the center armrest as an option for the 2014+ model on the Toyota main site...

Made the mistake of going into a Toyota dealer to see what differences between the 2014 Yaris icon cvt and the 2015 Yaris hybrid and ended up buying the latter.

Had it for about 6 weeks so far can't believe how chilled out you become driving these cars. The best fuel consumption so far returned 70.4 mpg according to the computer, while stuck behind a caravan on the way to Salcombe South Devon. Not even getting the slightest bit wound up never thought I'd ever be able to say that.

The best fuel consumption I ever got in the Yaris icon cvt was 44 mpg with an average of 38 mpg the hybrid seems to be averaging 53 mpg so well pleased with that so far.

The only niggles for me are still no armrest, awful continental tyres & me speed limiter disappeared . overall though A much more comfortable car to drive well done Toyota 9 out of 10 from me

Hi Kev

Congrats on your new purchase

I am considering the mk3 hybrid too (after initially looking at the 1.33 manual petrol).

So intrigue in your comparison between the 1.33 petrol and hybrid - even though both are autos...

Is this your 1st hybrid?

How does driving compared to the 1.33 in city and motorway?

I see u got the Excel trim too - what extra is that over the Icon trim?

Thanks

I couldn't find the center armrest as an option for the 2014+ model on the Toyota main site...

That's because there isn't one from Toyota but there is from 3rd parties...

Toyota missed a trick with me there I woulkd have happily paid £150 for a centre console I'm lucky they didn't have a car with keyless entry & electric folding mirrors in stock or i would have been another £400 out of pocket :Jumpy:

The only niggles for me are still no armrest, awful continental tyres & me speed limiter disappeared . overall though A much more comfortable car to drive well done Toyota 9 out of 10 from me

Hi Kev

Congrats on your new purchase

I am considering the mk3 hybrid too (after initially looking at the 1.33 manual petrol).

So intrigue in your comparison between the 1.33 petrol and hybrid - even though both are autos...

Is this your 1st hybrid?

How does driving compared to the 1.33 in city and motorway?

I see u got the Excel trim too - what extra is that over the Icon trim?

Thanks

The biggest differance is the noise levels the hybrids are much quieter. After just a month of driving the hybrid you wouldn't get me back in a manual car, the cvt's are just so smooth to drive don't try to floor it for rapid acceleration & it can be quite rewarding. Its a shame the Toyota dealers don't seem to allow you to test drive them on your own for a couple of hours like they did years ago I'm sure they would sell alot more if they did.

The automatic climate control was the reason I went for the Excel. Mrs devonkev gets hot flushes these days so that was a must & the Dab radio was a nice bonus. Shame they don't do a shark fin aerial as when the winds in a certain direction the aerial they use is noisy.

So if i were you go for the Hybrid far more rewarding :driving:

Cheers Kev :)

I will have to go for a test drive asap!

I know many have said the real mpg is quite off the official mpg, but some say it gets better afterwards.

How do u find yours?

Also, at higher speeds above 50mph (or on motorway) - is it still quite quiet?

Cheers

What's wrong with your Conti tyres?

I've had 2 vans come with conti tyres along with 2 to 3 puntures a year and not good grip when cornering in the wet.I'll see how they go, but have personally always chosen Uniroyal rainmaster, fantastic grip in the wet. Just noticed they've bought out the rainmaster 3 keep an eye on those & see how people get on with them.

I know many have said the real mpg is quite off the official mpg, but some say it gets better afterwards.

How do u find yours?

Cheers

I've only been on the M5 once since I've had it 70 to 80 mph was a lot quieter than me old Yaris. Will only really get loud if you use the cruise control on steep hills on the motorways. I think you'll only get the good fuel ecconomy around town in trafic, 40 to 50 mpg on motorways at that speed.

How do u find yours?

Cheers

I've only been on the M5 once since I've had it 70 to 80 mph was a lot quieter than me old Yaris. Will only really get loud if you use the cruise control on steep hills on the motorways. I think you'll only get the good fuel ecconomy around town in trafic, 40 to 50 mpg on motorways at that speed.

You must really be doing something wrong to get an average mpg below 50 in any Toyota hybrid Kev

You must really be doing something wrong to get an average mpg below 50 in any Toyota hybrid Kev

I was really trying hard could only get below it at motorway speeds :toot:

I was really trying hard could only get below it at motorway speeds :toot:

And even then you must have been going some!! Lol.

What distance was that over?

A main dealer near me let me take a hybrid out on my own for a few hours. Why not ask if it is available?

I did a 12 mile journey yesterday, mostly 60/70 MPH, and got 70 MPG. About 8 miles was at 60/70, 2 miles at 50, and 2 miles at 20-ish. Car has 600 miles on the clock, so I'm hoping this figure will get even better with time!

I have found cruise can burn a lot of fuel and hit MPG if the area is hilly. I see quite an improvement by not using it in those conditions (it can't read the road, instead doing everything possible to just hold the set speed, which apparently is not a very efficient way to do things).

I'll be doing a long motorway drive shortly so it will be interesting to see how it performs.

One thing I've found is if from a standing start, I accelerate so the needle is somewhere in the upper ECO band to about 40 MPH, then increase throttle to the first tick mark inside the power band as the car accelerates over 45 MPH seems to work really well.

I noticed the RES function of cruise will do this (set it at e.g. 60 MPH, cancel it and slow to 30 MPH, then hit resume and watch it). It's best to try it on level ground. Since I've been doing this, I have squeezed quite a bit more economy from it (about 5 MPG according to the average, on journeys of about 10-15 miles).

My wife went from automatic Yaris 1.3 (2005 model) to hybrid Yaris (2012 model).

The hybrid is much smoother.

Apart from that, the hybrid Yaris is pretty much like an automatic Yaris to drive.

If you need an automatic, the hybrid drivetrain will be more reliable than an automatic gearbox and consume less fuel.

• Like 1

My wife went from automatic Yaris 1.3 (2005 model) to hybrid Yaris (2012 model).

The hybrid is much smoother.

Apart from that, the hybrid Yaris is pretty much like an automatic Yaris to drive.

If you need an automatic, the hybrid drivetrain will be more reliable than an automatic gearbox and consume less fuel.

Cheers bud!

So your missus had a mk1 , then got a prefacelift mk3 hybrid?

Just want to be sure as the setup in pre n facelift mk3 is different ref suspension?

So your missus had a mk1 , then got a prefacelift mk3 hybrid?

Yup.

The 1.3 was the t-spirit model with the digital speedometer (and no heated door mirrors :( ).

The hybrid is the base model.

Cool thanks :)

Shame I discovered the following:

1. No more spare - now with repair kit :(

- Thanks to forum, I believe u can buy a complete spare+kit for £95 from Toyota :)

2. No more panoramic roof???

- I know the 1.33 t-spirit petrol pre-facelift had it as standard?

But great to have as standard:

1. Rear cameras (but no sensors?!!!!)

2. Touch screen stereo (when did the 7" screen replace 6.1"??)

Sorry to hijack thread....

So does Battery only get charged when braking???

And when best to do in heavy traffic?

Just creep forward when space, or wait when BIIIIIIG space then creap forward (ref best for battery)?

Sorry to hijack thread....

So does battery only get charged when braking???

And when best to do in heavy traffic?

Just creep forward when space, or wait when BIIIIIIG space then creap forward (ref best for battery)?

In the main yes, only when braking, unless the engine has excess need to spare which it'll then divert to it, or if the Battery is low and then the engine will kick in to prevent it from being damaged.

In traffic just drive it normally and keep up with the traffic in front like you would in any other car, it won't affect the Battery and is what a hybrid is best at :)

• Like 1

[

I think it was late last year when the car got the Fu Manchu look !!!!

Much better radio than last years model .

[

I think it was late last year when the car got the Fu Manchu look !!!!

Much better radio than last years model .

Fu Manchu?

So 64 plate then?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links