Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Icon To Hybrid Excel

devonkev

Yes it is and yes it does!

However, I'm with Vodafone Pay'n'go and I've been "tethering" like this with my car and Nexus 5 (mostly 3G but often 4G also) for nearly a year now and no-one at Vodafone has been on to me about it yet...

lol

BTW, it's worth pointing out that your cellular provider will only "know" whether you are tethering if your handset actually tells it via the network. In the case of sim free handsets, this usually doesn't happen as they are not locked to any particular network but this may not be the case for a vendor provided contract phone...

BTW, it's worth pointing out that your cellular provider will only "know" whether you are tethering if your handset actually tells it via the network. In the case of sim free handsets, this usually doesn't happen as they are not locked to any particular network but this may not be the case for a vendor provided contract phone...

All my phones are unlocked :)

Either direct from Apple or Google :)

So always buy your phones from places like the carphone warehouse because they're always unlocked??

Possibly... I say possibly because even an unlocked phone that is part of a contract deal may have had its tethering functionality disabled by the network provider... Personally, I always go for "sim free" phones on Amazon that have no connection with a network provider at all then put any sim you like in it. It's the only way to guarantee you'll be able to even enable tethering anyway and that will only be with android jelly bean and above...

EE definitely allow tethering. I am with them and have an iPhone 6 which allows me to tether my Ipad and laptop to use mobile data.

Some other providers allow it also, Vodafone I think does.

EE definitely allow tethering. I am with them and have an IPhone 6 which allows me to tether my Ipad and laptop to use mobile data.

Some other providers allow it also, Vodafone I think does.

It'll depend upon your contract, all networks can tether, but most reserve it for their high level contracts or older customers etc.

Reading my previous and existing contracts with unlimited data and 3s eat-all-u-can data...

All the small prints states "no tether"

I would assume u either pay extra as an add-on or go business contract...

My 2 pence..

Reading my previous and existing contracts with unlimited data and 3s eat-all-u-can data...

My 2 pence..

Depends when you signed up and how much you pay. I've unlimited data and unlimited teathering on my 3 plan, but I've an old sim only contract and have been with them well over 5 years. They don't offer exactly the same any more and the most similar contract is about 30% more expensive monthly with less included.

My 2 pence..

Depends when you signed up and how much you pay. I've unlimited data and unlimited teathering on my 3 plan, but I've an old sim only contract and have been with them well over 5 years. They don't offer exactly the same any more and the most similar contract is about 30% more expensive monthly with less included.

U lucky person!

Some old contracts are a bargain - I remember when I was on Virgin Broadband unlimited for £17 with TV!

Now its a whopping £35+ or something :( :( :(

My 2 pence..

It strikes me as kind of weird that they have contracts with "unlimited" and "eat-all-u-can" in their titles and yet they then put "no tether" in the small print!

They seem to be making the (false IMO) assumption that a tether somehow involves consumption of gargantuan amounts of data! I sometimes wonder if the major providers even understand how networks actually work!! ;)

My 2 pence..

It strikes me as kind of weird that they have contracts with "unlimited" and "eat-all-u-can" in their titles and yet they then put "no tether" in the small print!

They seem to be making the (false IMO) assumption that a tether somehow involves consumption of gargantuan amounts of data! I sometimes wonder if the major providers even understand how networks actually work!! ;)

Its completely wrong to EVEN state its UNLIMITED as there is always a FAIR USAGE POLICY to restrict the usage.

As one person said "UNLIMITED basically means its UN-but-LIMITED"

Where as "EAT ALL U CAN - generally means trully unlimited, like the 3 network" - but probably still has a tether exclusion - lol

My 2 pence..

Its completely wrong to EVEN state its UNLIMITED as there is always a FAIR USAGE POLICY to restrict the usage.

As one person said "UNLIMITED basically means its UN-but-LIMITED"

Where as "EAT ALL U CAN - generally means trully unlimited, like the 3 network" - but probably still has a tether exclusion - lol

Nope, three have no fair useage cap on their unlimited all you can eat data. They do limit it on tethering for new customers however due to the introduction of free 4G which with unlimited tethering can be abused. I've heard on the grape vine of a friend using 200gb in one month tethering with three, they sent him a letter and he politely told them to do one.

Not sure if most other networks have these fair useage policies still however.

• Like 1

There's always one who will kick the backside out of it isn't there?! :( (spoiling it for the rest...)

• Like 1

200Gb is almost 7Gb/day!! I'd suggest to the perpetrator (who seems to be watching 2 x HD movies per day!) that he needs to get a life!!

how did we arrive at this latest topic (tether)?

Has this thread gone total AWOL now???? lol

200Gb is almost 7Gb/day!! I'd suggest to the perpetrator (who seems to be watching 2 x HD movies per day!) that he needs to get a life!!

Yep, apparently was a computer being run off it and watching / downloading movies / YouTube etc.

From discussing using phone net connection for touch & go :)

From discussing using phone net connection for touch & go :)

oh yeah

Where s Kev with his home wifi experiment? :)

I can already vouch for that working (via wifi tether)... :laughing:

why didn't u say that in the first place!

Poor Kev probably pulling his hair out trying to get it working! :hammer:

I already did! :blow: (see message #46)

Ah - u did. my bad :clown:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links