Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Icon To Hybrid Excel

devonkev

Look at the front of the car of the latest Yaris it looks a bit like a Fu Manchu mustache. Think it changed August 2014

• Like 1

Look at the front of the car of the latest Yaris it looks a bit like a Fu Manchu mustache. Think it changed August 2014

Wait

U mean the X-grille?

Oh - I was looking at the stereo and wondered "WTF..." - lol

I thought there was only a mk3 pre-facelift and a facelift.....but looking at this are there 3 versions???

YG62GWM_1.jpg?width=767&scale=both

FG62XTJ_1.jpg?width=767&scale=both
FD64OTJ_1.jpg?width=767&scale=both
Sorry, will give thread back to OP....

I thought there was only a mk3 pre-facelift and a facelift.....but looking at this are there 3 versions???

YG62GWM_1.jpg?width=767&scale=both

FG62XTJ_1.jpg?width=767&scale=both

FD64OTJ_1.jpg?width=767&scale=both

Sorry, will give thread back to OP....

Nope, only mk3 pre and post facelift. What you've got in pic two is a pre-facelift hybrid which still has the same rear end but minor tweaks to the front.

Preface lift had the smaller touch screen and CD player, facelift halls the slightly larger touch screen but becomes solely digital multi media loosing the CD player.

Glass roof on prefacelift was only ever an option and never standard on any specifications.

• Like 1

Sorry to hijack thread....

So does battery only get charged when braking???

And when best to do in heavy traffic?

Just creep forward when space, or wait when BIIIIIIG space then creap forward (ref best for battery)?

That statement above in red, on its own, is not correct.

It just isn't as simple as that with a Toyota Hybrid. For example, it can even be charging the Battery under moderate acceleration with the ICE running or just coasting and slowing down (without putting a foot on the brake) can result in a charge of sorts... It's all the clever ECUs that decide when and if it would be a good idea to use waste heat or energy to feed it back to the Battery and it happens seamlessly, in real time, all the time you are driving it... (not just when braking)

• Like 1

Just creep forward when space, or wait when BIIIIIIG space then creap forward (ref best for battery)?

It just isn't as simple as that with a Toyota Hybrid. For example, it can even be charging the Battery under moderate acceleration with the ICE running or just coasting and slowing down (without putting a foot on the brake) can result in a charge of sorts... It's all the clever ECUs that decide when and if it would be a good idea to use waste heat or energy to feed it back to the Battery and it happens seamlessly, in real time, all the time you are driving it... (not just when braking)

Cool

in that case was wondering is it possible to just run on Battery (EV mode) for longer at 30mph or below on the flat (no air con on etc) and moderate gas pedal to maintain speed (as the battery is contuining to be charged with waste heat/energy/braking)???

Cool

in that case was wondering is it possible to just run on Battery (EV mode) for longer at 30mph or below on the flat (no air con on etc) and moderate gas pedal to maintain speed (as the battery is contuining to be charged with waste heat/energy/braking)???

In the circumstances you describe, you will find that you will eventually run out of battery power and the ICE will come on automatically (even if you have selected EV mode) to re-charge the battery. The best I've managed is coming back from the centre of our town to where we live from full battery to empty and that is about 1.5 miles but it takes some coaxing... Hardly worth the effort to be honest... (and it isn't the best way to drive a hybrid either - as other threads in here will testify to...)

• Like 1

The key, in my opinion, is to not try and "out think" the car itself and you'll get excellent economy as a result...

• Like 1

The key, in my opinion, is to not try and "out think" the car itself and you'll get excellent economy as a result...

As above, can't be stressed enough really.

1. No more spare - now with repair kit :(

- Thanks to forum, I believe u can buy a complete spare+kit for £95 from Toyota :)

Our pre facelift hybrid Yaris came with the can of gunk kit :( but there is still a well for a spare so if you source one yourself, there is somewhere to put it. Not sure if the facelift model still has the well.

2. No more panoramic roof???

- I know the 1.33 t-spirit petrol pre-facelift had it as standard?

We hardly ever used the sun roof in the mk1 Yaris so we don't miss it. YMMV

1. Rear cameras (but no sensors?!!!!)

The rear camera on the hybrid is pretty good.

You can get sensors fitted if you want them.

2. Touch screen stereo (when did the 7" screen replace 6.1"??)

I am guessing at the facelift (or mayby just before?).

Our pre facelift has "touch and go 1".

The facelift models have "touch and go 2".

Although the manual that came with the car has instructions for both.

Facelift hybrid Yaris also has a traction control switch which the pre facelift doesn't, and fancy lights on the dash instruments (which I prefer). The pre facelift is more of a "blue rinse".

• Like 1

Kev!

Does your stereo has the internet connectivity installed with free apps too?

Is the connectivity free (of need to pay subs)?

Any useful apps to recommend?

Kev!

Our prefacelift has internet connectivity, so I assume the top spec face lifts will also.

It's free assuming you have a free data plan like myself on your mobile phone, but is very much phone dependant and doesn't seem to work with many of the major phones out there (iPhones for example).

Kev!

Our prefacelift has internet connectivity, so I assume the top spec face lifts will also.

It's free assuming you have a free data plan like myself on your mobile phone, but is very much phone dependant and doesn't seem to work with many of the major phones out there (iPhones for example).

Cheers!

Bit confused.

So the stereo connectivity need to be streamed via bluetooth to mobile phone?

There is no SIM card slot in stereo?

Kev!

Cheers!

Bit confused.

Correct.

• Like 1

1. No more spare - now with repair kit :(

- Thanks to forum, I believe u can buy a complete spare+kit for £95 from Toyota :)

Our pre facelift hybrid Yaris came with the can of gunk kit :( but there is still a well for a spare so if you source one yourself, there is somewhere to put it. Not sure if the facelift model still has the well.

It does.

Kev!

Cheers!

Bit confused.

To be honest haven't had a chance to play with that yet. I think it uses your mobile as a wireless hotspot but as I'm on Tesco network we haven't got 4G in sunny Devon yet. If I get time the weekend I'll see if it will play a Spotify playlist via the usb connecter!

Kev!

Cheers!

Bit confused.

To be honest haven't had a chance to play with that yet. I think it uses your mobile as a wireless hotspot but as I'm on Tesco network we haven't got 4G in sunny Devon yet. If I get time the weekend I'll see if it will play a Spotify playlist via the usb connecter!

Thanks Kev!

U mean it can only work with 4G?

Eeeeek!

No I think it'll work on 3G but here in Devon the coverage is crap & takes ages to load.

It's took them 50 years to build a road from Newton Abbot to Torquay so heaven knows how long mobile internet will take

No I think it'll work on 3G but here in Devon the coverage is crap & takes ages to load.

It's took them 50 years to build a road from Newton Abbot to Torquay so heaven knows how long mobile internet will take

Lol

What about parked outside your house and use your mobile to hook onto your home WiFi?

• Like 1

I hadn't thought of that cars not here at the moment. Mrs devonkev is out playing with it. Judging by the traffic around here at moment it could be a while before she's back. At least she isn't using any fuel !!! I will give that a try later.

• Like 1

The head unit relies on the bluetooth connection to your phone and this in turn relies on your phone being able to tether its internet connection (wherever that is coming from) to your phone's bluetooth connection... So, unless your phone has internet tethering and you have a data plan that allows it, you'll be kinda stuck. Parked outside your house with your phone connected to the house wifi and bluetooth tethering (on the phone) enabled works fine :) (whether it is 2G, 3G or 4G is simply a function of your phone's data connection and irrelevant to the car's head unit)

The head unit relies on the bluetooth connection to your phone and this in turn relies on your phone being able to tether its internet connection (wherever that is coming from) to your phone's bluetooth connection... So, unless your phone has internet tethering and you have a data plan that allows it, you'll be kinda stuck. Parked outside your house with your phone connected to the house wifi and bluetooth tethering (on the phone) enabled works fine :)

Damn!

That's classed as tethering???!!!! :(

That rules out 99% of residential mobile data contracts then! :( :( :(

Yes it is and yes it does!

However, I'm with Vodafone Pay'n'go and I've been "tethering" like this with my car and Nexus 5 (mostly 3G but often 4G also) for nearly a year now and no-one at Vodafone has been on to me about it yet...

BTW, it's worth pointing out that your cellular provider will only "know" whether you are tethering if your handset actually tells it via the network. In the case of sim free handsets, this usually doesn't happen as they are not locked to any particular network but this may not be the case for a vendor provided contract phone...

So always buy your phones from places like the carphone warehouse because they're always unlocked??

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links